Asus Hero vii - Connectors with Shared Bandwith

jjbuschtx

I have (2 count) Samsung 970 m.2 ssd. My build also contains corsair h115i cpu cooler (with 2 count 140mm fans), Zotec 2070 rtx mini video card, and two other sata storage devices. This is on an Asus Maximus Hero vii. Given that some connectors share bandwidth (see attached image from manual), what configuration or location for each connection do you recommend? I greatly appreciate any expert's wisdom and time.

Screenshot_20200809-153711_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Videocard: top slot (PCIEx16_1)

970 Evo #1: M.2_2

970 Evo #2: M.2_1

SATA devices: any of the SATA ports except SATA6G_2 (which is disabled because 970 Evo #2).

Corsair H115i: If memory serves right, you just need a single fan header (CPU_FAN), SATA power and a USB 2.0 internal header.

Other case fans can be connected to the other CHA_FAN headers (whichever fit the best way)

The front USB headers can be plugged into the appropriate connector(s).

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Wow! Thank you for a quick response, and expert guidance!

49 minutes ago, jjbuschtx said:

Wow! Thank you for a quick response, and expert guidance!

Happy to help ^^

By the way, I was thinking; it might be better to plug 970 Evo #2 into M.2_3 (instead of M.2_1), because you could reach it easier and it also runs at the same speed. You would lose two SATA ports, instead of losing none (which was something I had mistakenly written in my previous post. 

But I wanted to check if M.2_1 had a cooler or not on it.

Googling your motherboard, I think I found a much older board (fit for 4th/5th gen Intel CPU's). Could you doublecheck if you have written down the right motherboard?

1 hour ago, jjbuschtx said:

Asus Maximus Hero vii.

I found this board online: https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/MAXIMUS_VII_HERO/

Which does not match the manual screenshot at all :P

To revise/correct/etc. my previous post:

1 hour ago, minibois said:

970 Evo #2: M.2_1

SATA devices: any of the SATA ports except SATA6G_2 (which is disabled because 970 Evo #2).

OR you could do:

1 hour ago, minibois said:

970 Evo #2: M.2_3

SATA devices: any of the SATA ports except SATA6G_5 & SATA6G_6 (which are disabled because 970 Evo #2).

EDIT: oh, I'm a dumbass. It says the motherboard type in the manual screenshot; Maximus XIII HERO WiFi.

Anyways, the above two configurations still stay valid.

Place 970 Evo #2 in M.2_1 slot for full cooler on the drive (and you lose no SATA ports), or M.2_3 for easier access to it (but you lose two SATA ports, out of six) (because the videocard will be above M.2_1 and also above M.2_2 (because the cooler spans most of the bottom of the board).

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

5 hours ago, minibois said:

Place 970 Evo #2 in M.2_1 slot for full cooler on the drive (and you lose no SATA ports), or M.2_3 for easier access to it (but you lose two SATA ports, out of six) (because the videocard will be above M.2_1 and also above M.2_2 (because the cooler spans most of the bottom of the board).

Those options make sense now, thank you for the clarification!  My i9 10900k will be arriving towards the end of this month, so I'm taking my time planning this out. It's been over 12 years since my last pc build, and a lot has changed in technology. My hardware tech knowledge is revived from being frozen in a time capsule.