Is a 12.9 ms good enough for gaming?

Thiccboy

I’m considering buying a 65 inch 4K tv for my pc rather than a monitor, as I’ll be able to watch movies and YouTube on it as well. The tv I want to buy is the Samsung ru7100, which apparently has 12.9 ms of input lag based on a quick google search. Is 12.9 ms ok for pc gaming? I don’t play competitive games so I don’t need absolutely zero input lag per se, but is it going to be noticeable and hinder the gaming experience regardless? I also play on keyboard and mouse, and I know for a fact that input lag is much more noticeable on a keyboard and mouse than a controller. I’d love to get some insight from someone in a similar situation. Thanks.

Dependings on the refresh rate: For 60Hz it's good, for 120Hz or higher it's bad. Also how noticeable it is, depends on how sensitive you are to input lag. My C9 OLED has ~12ms aswell when playing at 60Hz and for me the lag is fine and totally playable, however i mostly play at 120Hz. At this refresh rate the lag is more ~7ms with my TV.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

1 minute ago, Stahlmann98 said:

Dependings on the refresh rate: For 60Hz it's good, for 120Hz or higher it's bad. Also how noticeable it is, depends on how sensitive you are to input lag. My C9 OLED has ~12ms aswell when playing at 60Hz and for me the lag is fine and totally playable.

The tv is 60 Hz. I’d like to know: do you always play on your tv or have you played or used to play on a low latency monitor before? Is the input lag noticeable at all or do you not even think about it (as it should be). Also, do you play on a controller or keyboard and mouse? To me, input lag on a controller is harder to notice as compared to a keyboard and mouse.

9 minutes ago, Thiccboy said:

The tv is 60 Hz. I’d like to know: do you always play on your tv or have you played or used to play on a low latency monitor before? Is the input lag noticeable at all or do you not even think about it (as it should be). Also, do you play on a controller or keyboard and mouse? To me, input lag on a controller is harder to notice as compared to a keyboard and mouse.

I have low-latency gaming monitors aswell. I mostly play on my TV for HDR games. At 60Hz the input lag is actually better on the TV as on most monitors i've had. The input lag is not really noticeable to me. The only time i can definetly notice it, is when changing between 60Hz and 120Hz back-to-back. For me it doesn't make a difference when using a controller or mouse and keyboard in terms of input lag. I use both, depending on the game i play.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

20ms or under is generally fine for input lag at 60Hz. 

A lot of TVs are higher, around 20-60ms. 

And as it’s not competitive gaming, you’re fine!

10 hours ago, Stahlmann98 said:

I have low-latency gaming monitors aswell. I mostly play on my TV for HDR games. At 60Hz the input lag is actually better on the TV as on most monitors i've had. The input lag is not really noticeable to me. The only time i can definetly notice it, is when changing between 60Hz and 120Hz back-to-back. For me it doesn't make a difference when using a controller or mouse and keyboard in terms of input lag. I use both, depending on the game i play.

Thank you, you’ve been very helpful.