Gadget show says desktop is DEAD!

Doesn't matter I still have my desktop; the people I play online still have thier desktops; we will all continue to invest into desktops.

Anyway, let these filthy casuals run off to thier tablets and cellular devices, while the gaming and business world remain on PC.

System: i5-2500k, Gigabyte GA-Z68AP-D3, Mushkin Enhanced Blackline, R9 290X, CoolerMaster Elite 430, OCZ Vector, Corsair RM650, Dell U2412M, Corsair H60, Sidewinder X6, M6880, Asus Xonar DG      
Steam username: Armorhype          Origin username: Armorhype          Xbox Live Gamertag: Armorhype                   

You never know what's gonna happen in the next 10 years though, maybe they find a less heat producing solution which can be alternatively used as a CPU or GPU and also I do believe that they're working on more efficient processing cores right now. Not sure whether they find something in the next 10 years but I am certain that there will be a time in our age where something like a r9 290x can be stuck into a tablet (not a r9 290x itself ofcourse but an alternative with similar power)

It doesn't matter how efficient something is. Because once we make GPU's and CPU's more efficient we add more cores to them so they are more powerful. Die shrinking makes the CPU smaller but Intel and AMD add more stuff onto the CPU so it stays the same size. It is why you will not see a mobile chip that is anywhere near as powerful as an i7 5 years from now. It ain't gonna happen. And by the time mobile CPU's get as powerful as today desktop components, how powerful do you think those desktop components will be. What drives the need for performance is easy though. More demand for bigger and more calculations weather it be for a video game, scientific study, animation and editing. If you could get  Crysis 3 to run in 4k at 120 fps how much would you pay for a GPu to do that. Because a mobile processor will probably never be able to do it in 20 years. Unless nano tube processors or quantum computing becomes a big thing. But even then a bigger CPU or GPU will always be better than a smaller counterpart if they came out at the same time. Compare the new Tegra to the new Maxwell GPU's and than tell me the desktop is dead or dying because the performance difference is huge.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

It doesn't matter how efficient something is. Because once we make GPU's and CPU's more efficient we add more cores to them so they are more powerful. Die shrinking makes the CPU smaller but Intel and AMD add more stuff onto the CPU so it stays the same size. It is why you will not see a mobile chip that is anywhere near as powerful as an i7 5 years from now. It ain't gonna happen. And by the time mobile CPU's get as powerful as today desktop components, how powerful do you think those desktop components will be. What drives the need for performance is easy though. More demand for bigger and more calculations weather it be for a video game, scientific study, animation and editing. If you could get  Crysis 3 to run in 4k at 120 fps how much would you pay for a GPu to do that. Because a mobile processor will probably never be able to do it in 20 years. Unless nano tube processors or quantum computing becomes a big thing. But even then a bigger CPU or GPU will always be better than a smaller counterpart if they came out at the same time. Compare the new Tegra to the new Maxwell GPU's and than tell me the desktop is dead or dying because the performance difference is huge.

I disagree, just because what's happening right now is that processors are getting more cores doesn't mean that in the next few years the same things would be happening.

You just can't have a 100% accurate prediction of the future, you never know what's gonna happen tomorrow. Someone might find an alternative to electricity and in 10 years that would be used as a power source or all processor factories would burn down to ground and cause the prices to go up by a million pounds (just an exaggeration ;) )

I disagree, just because what's happening right now is that processors are getting more cores doesn't mean that in the next few years the same things would be happening.

You just can't have a 100% accurate prediction of the future, you never know what's gonna happen tomorrow. Someone might find an alternative to electricity and in 10 years that would be used as a power source or all processor factories would burn down to ground and cause the prices to go up by a million pounds (just an exaggeration ;) )

No but I do know that demand for high performance hardware will never die out. And the only possible platform you can get high performance hardware on is the PC. Resolutions will carry on increasing to a point and so will what we can do visually. I would imagine we will get up to 12K resolution and than stop as it would be pointless going any further. I don't really know though as I have never seen a 12K 17" panel, or a 12K anything for that matter. But yea the desktop will never die out unless there is no demand for high performance hardware. When we get to 12K and we just stop there I would imagine we would carry on improving on the tech to make the experience better like what G-Sync has done. I don't really know what to say now other than that we will always have a high demand for high computational tasks that require high end hardware that can only be used in either a server or a desktop. And as long as people want to play games or achieve highly performing tasks the desktop will be around. It might change a bit but the desktop we know today will always be around. We will get improvements like different connectors and the such but having individual components for each individual task will always be around.  

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

The desktop is dead.

PC is dead.

Enthusiast such as ourselves need to stop thinking we're the majority, we're not. We're a minority. Most people you interact with will have a laptop now. They don't need the horse power a desktop has.

Now we have tablets that do everything we need.

Every time this topic comes up, I say the exact same thing.

Majority of computer users are only into media consumption. Tablets and mobile platforms really shine. I'd even go as far as guaranteeing that Laptop/Tablet hybrids would be the go to option for majority of consumers (I recommend them for anyone looking for a laptop, after gauging their usage scenarios), because they provide the best of both worlds: power, mobility and an optional touch interface. 

Content creators will still need workstations and desktops - which will most likely be replaced by cloud computing, simply accessing a cloud-hosted OS/virtual machine through a thin client . Network technology is already adequate to handle that, at least, for enterprise applications. Consumers still get the shit end of the stick now, but that'll also change in 10-15 years. Mobile platforms are already starting to improve their touch interfaces to allow for content creation (video and photo editing are possible on tablets, digital painting is too). It obviously still needs more time to mature, but that's all it needs. Time. And higher performance mobile hardware (Intel is more than happy to oblige). If Desktop/workstation-grade hardware becomes available in mobile form factors, desktops and workstations will cease to exist - laptops can simply be used with a docking station to get the desktop experience. 

Gaming desktops are and will always be a niche. If Nvidia GRID advances further and ISPs remove the pipe out of their asses (or are forced to), cloud gaming will become mainstream and custom built gaming rigs will go the way of the dodo. 

Mobile platforms (laptops, tablets, convertible hybrids) are really the future. The only thing they don't have is performance (relatively speaking, laptops are still good for most content creation purposes, just not heavier stuff like graphics/video rendering), but that IS changing. 

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

Idiots....

Specs of my PC:

CPU: AMD FX 8350  Motherboard: Gigabyte 990XA UD3  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 Windforce 2GB  HDD: WD Green 2TB SSD:  Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD RAM: Corsair 8GB(2X4) PSU: CoolerMaster G650M

No but I do know that demand for high performance hardware will never die out. And the only possible platform you can get high performance hardware on is the PC. Resolutions will carry on increasing to a point and so will what we can do visually. I would imagine we will get up to 12K resolution and than stop as it would be pointless going any further. I don't really know though as I have never seen a 12K 17" panel, or a 12K anything for that matter. But yea the desktop will never die out unless there is no demand for high performance hardware. When we get to 12K and we just stop there I would imagine we would carry on improving on the tech to make the experience better like what G-Sync has done. I don't really know what to say now other than that we will always have a high demand for high computational tasks that require high end hardware that can only be used in either a server or a desktop. And as long as people want to play games or achieve highly performing tasks the desktop will be around. It might change a bit but the desktop we know today will always be around. We will get improvements like different connectors and the such but having individual components for each individual task will always be around.  

I'm not saying that a desktop will disappear or that hardware will change, I'm saying that it could possibly improve in the next 10 years or so that the current hardware equivalents would shrink down to such a size that it could fit into something such as a tablet. I do believe that we will continue on improving the hardware infrastructure but I don't believe that we will keep the same sizes and efficiency.

They are dead.

The only people buying computers any more are businesses and enthusiasts. The average consumer has no need or interest in a PC - all they need at most is a smartphone and occasionally a tablet device. Likewise all the average gamer needs is a console.

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted
Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials | Members of Staff

they have no idea. they recommended an alienware laptop and are sponsored by microsoft, and they think the surface pro and windows 8 are good.

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

if pc gaming is dead then how com even from people i know majority of my mates have switched from console to pc in the last year

AMD FX-8350 II ASUS R9-20x DCU2 TOP II Fractal Design R4 II Samsung 840 Evo 250gb SSD II Gigabyte 990FXA UD-3 II 8GB Corsair XMS II Cooler Master Seidon 120mm II ACER H236HL Monitor II Corsair K70 II Razer Deathadder II Kinect II 

Go check out my Build Log for my "Home Made Gaming POD"

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/83872-home-made-gaming-pod-build-log/

I'm not saying that a desktop will disappear or that hardware will change, I'm saying that it could possibly improve in the next 10 years or so that the current hardware equivalents would shrink down to such a size that it could fit into something such as a tablet. I do believe that we will continue on improving the hardware infrastructure but I don't believe that we will keep the same sizes and efficiency.

Oh yea that is right. Sorry I was getting the wrong end of what you were saying. I thought you were saying that hardware will get to a point were it won't get any more powerful and it will all be about tablets and phones. Sorry. Although it will be interesting to see what the desktop will improve into, I am rather interested about new standards that are coming out. Maybe a more unified connection system would be cool. One that was more durable, and better in every way. Maybe something like the PCi express 3.0 connections but in a smaller form-factor. 

(\__/)

(='.'=)

Oh yea that is right. Sorry I was getting the wrong end of what you were saying. I thought you were saying that hardware will get to a point were it won't get any more powerful and it will all be about tablets and phones. Sorry. Although it will be interesting to see what the desktop will improve into, I am rather interested about new standards that are coming out. Maybe a more unified connection system would be cool. One that was more durable, and better in every way. Maybe something like the PCi express 3.0 connections but in a smaller form-factor. 

And that was exactly my point, having things shrinked down to a size so it would be as efficient as desktop grade hardware and portable at the same time like mini PCi Express 3.0++^100. Would be cool if something like that would exists in the next few years. Imagine being able to fit a i7 4770k and a hd 7950 in a tablet and to make it work efficiently with monitors with no performance lose. Can't wait for this day to come and hopefully it will come one day. Being able to render on the move, hmmmm already feeling the nerdgasm.

The video isnt completely wrong but they sure talk about it in a strange way. I think they are trying to say that the "casuals" don't need a desktop anymore. I would agree, if you only do homework/surf the internet or facebook and stuff like that, you can do everything with a phone, tablet, laptop.

The problem is they are forgetting the gamers, enthusiast, power users, tinkers and all that. It is misleading because its far from dead.

edit : btw sorry if it was already said, I answered the thread after reading the OP and watching the video and nothing else.

I'm curious. I plan on getting all of my non-enthusiast friends to watch this and see what they say on the matter. Shouldn't be too hard.

Spoiler

CPU: AMD 5800X

GPU: Gigabyte Aorus 3070 Ti

SSD: WD SN850X 4TB x2

MoBo: Gigabyte Aorus Master B550

Case: Fractal Torrent

PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750W

And that was exactly my point, having things shrinked down to a size so it would be as efficient as desktop grade hardware and portable at the same time like mini PCi Express 3.0++^100. Would be cool if something like that would exists in the next few years. Imagine being able to fit a i7 4770k and a hd 7950 in a tablet and to make it work efficiently with monitors with no performance lose. Can't wait for this day to come and hopefully it will come one day. Being able to render on the move, hmmmm already feeling the nerdgasm.

Yea but but then you will be rendering higher resolution video or images. 

(\__/)

(='.'=)

Hmmm, Was made by the popular UK T.V show "the gadget show" - not since they got rid of Suzzi Perry and replaced her with that annoying Pollyanna have I not watch that show.

The Gadget show specially Jason has a hard on for the Apple Mac's over Windows PC's so why did they not drop one of them to its doom?

Cry Havoc!

nope, sales are declining...

its a general accepted fact,

but it wont be a quick change i think, there will always be people who prefer desktops, they will just be more rare

At least that means there will be less kids on the PC platform.

Desktop is far from dead. It is however less purchased because most people don't need a high performance computer and a laptop suits most people very well. A portable computer is what people conviently want. Desktop is not dead though. People who need certain hardware for some sort of performance such as better video or really high CPU performance or perhaps a certain kind of monitor suited for maybe editing pictures or movies or for gaming. There is no true replacement for what a desktop offers. They are cheaper then getting tons of laptops which is why many offices use them. If you need more power, going cheaper, need multiple monitors, are a business and want to manage the computer in the offices, or need certain hardware then a desktop is your answer. For most individuals and businesses laptops and tablets (especially since tablets are becoming just as capable as a laptop) are the right choice because they are just much more convenient.

Oh yeah, who needs a desktop when you can spend 998 euros on a usb drive?

“Snorting instant coffee is the best,” said Kayla Johns, 19, of Portland.

I should have got laptop instead of desktop, damn colleage.

If only I don't like to abuse anything, laptop is my priority.

There is only so much heat you can disperse in Tablet/Phone form factors, this is their limiting factor as opposed to Desktops.

Who cares if its got 8-16 cores, they have to be clocked even slower to maintain their set TDP's. Over time you'll see faster, by then new devices would have been made for these new chips.

Desktops have the Power, no matter how much smaller devices get better, they cannot match it due to the nature and size of the smaller devices limiting heat output.

This is a generalization and these points can be hugely expanded, but there will always be those people who need more power for their applications, and removing/dispersing/outputting HEAT is the limiting factor.

I'm not even gonna get heated about that stupid 1TB flash drive, because until its so inexpensive that anyone can buy it at a corner store, who cares? No mainstream person will get them until its too late.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

I think the whole console vs pc war has given more publicity to PC. PC is small crowd yes, but we've always been the "smaller crowd" yet I think due to our smallness we have had better success in private pc communities. Anyways PCs are not going anywhere short of "obsolete", we dont upgrade as often, there is more variety in PC games than console games so the communities are not super huge in any game, and there have been BIG advancements in PC technology that just beat out consoles( G-Sync, full sized graphics cards, over all experience )... 

[ Cruel Angel ]:     Exterior  -   BENQ XL2420T   |   SteelSeries MLG Sensei   |   Corsair K70 RED   |   Corsair 900D  |                                                                                                    CPU:    -   4.7Ghz @ 1.425v             |

Interior    -   i7 4770k   |    Maximus VI Formula    |   Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB    |   ASUS GTX 980 Strix SLIx2  |  840 Pro 512Gb    |    WD Black 2TB  |           RAM:   -   2400Mhz OC @ 1.650v    |

Cooling   -   XSPC 120mm x7 Total Radiator Space   |   XSPC RayStorm    |    PrimoChill Tubing/Res  |                                                                                             GPU:   -   1000Mhz @ 1.158            |

Hugely popular shows, like I give a fuck.

They do stupid things to entertain stupid people.

Like putting an evolutionist vs a creationist.

Firstly, both theories have no contradictions between them.

Might aswell put abiogenesis vs creationism.

So then il give no fucks instead of adding it on my list of best exemples of stupid masses targeted media.

CPU: Ryzen 2600 GPU: RX 6800 RAM: ddr4 3000Mhz 4x8GB  MOBO: MSI B450-A PRO Display: 4k120hz with freesync premium.