Accidentally pushed 2 volts into my laptop cpu worried i damaged it

so me being dumb i didnt relize i pushed 2 entire volts intommy i7-10510U laptop cpu and my computer instantly started to lag so i shut it down almost instantly and booted it back up lucky the changes didnt savw because i was using Intel tuning kit and i am now paranoid i damaged my cpu, i'm just worried i damaged it cause it instantly lagged after clicking apply shut less then 3 seconds after its started to lag i forced shut it down with the power button and on top of that it was on high asf load and was at a temp of 212 Fahrenheit aka 100 Celsius. ATM it is running fine im worried i damaged it tho and i was using Intel Extreme tuning utitlity and turned the core voltage up to 2 and clicked apply someone told me it was ok to freak with me im very worried please get back to when when you can!

Edit: dont forget tho im used intel extreme tuning utility and i did a intel procsessor check tool test after wards and it sayd my cpu passed all health checks but idk if it checks for damage phyicsicly or overclocking degradtion etc

should be fine, if it happened for a super short time, and you reverted the settings back, then i guess it's fine. 

though can i ask how in the hell did you push 2 volts instantly to the cpu? lol.

Edited by TofuHaroto

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

3 minutes ago, C5Gaming said:

i pushed 2 entire volts intommy i7-10510U laptop cpu

how did it not explode yet is beyond me

probably had some protection or something

to test if your cpu is fine, run tests like cinebench R20, see if there's any issues

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

There's probably a lower Vcore limit at the BIOS level that fortunately saved it, because it's pretty safe to say that 2V would be instakill.

Don't do that again.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

1 hour ago, Moonzy said:

how did it not explode yet is beyond me

probably had some protection or something

to test if your cpu is fine, run tests like cinebench R20, see if there's any issues

how do i check i havent ran a before test tso how would i know

1 minute ago, C5Gaming said:

how do i check i havent ran a before test tso how would i know

run a software called cinebench R20

9 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

There's probably a lower Vcore limit at the BIOS level that fortunately saved it, because it's pretty safe to say that 2V would be instakill.

Don't do that again.

Yeah that would most likely be the case, I can't imagine the BIOS allowing 2V to enter CPU, it probably maxed out at around 1.5V and was lagging because it was throttling hard due to temperature.

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

1 hour ago, Moonzy said:

run a software called cinebench R20

should i tell you the scores?

@C5Gaming

If your CPU is still running fine I wouldn't worry about damage since any damage done to the CPU would be very noticeable immediately

Just now, C5Gaming said:

should i tell you the scores?

dont have to, as long as you pass it it's fine

though u can compare your scores to other people's to see if your cpu is underperforming

2 minutes ago, Syn. said:

it probably maxed out at around 1.5V and was lagging because it was throttling hard due to temperature.

probably like 1.4v or smth... 1.5v is near instant kill on room temp too i think

it should be fine intel had think of this thing. you see the overvoltage damage cpu is by overheating and if heat is too high the system will FORCE SHUTDOWN

if it was useful give it a like :) btw if your into linux pay a visit here

1 hour ago, Moonzy said:

dont have to, as long as you pass it it's fine

though u can compare your scores to other people's to see if your cpu is underperforming

probably like 1.4v or smth... 1.5v is near instant kill on room temp too i think

ok well i think it passed it did complete the entire picture with a score or pts or whatever of 1320

2 minutes ago, Syn. said:

@C5Gaming

If your CPU is still running fine I wouldn't worry about damage since any damage done to the CPU would be very noticeable immediately

He also could have degraded the silicon and that wouldn't be noticeable immediately 

Just now, C5Gaming said:

ok well i think it passed it did complete the entire picture with a score or pts or whatever of 1320

sounds fine to me

probably nothing wrong

2 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

Nah, 1.5V won't fry it immediately, especially at idle when there's barely any current going through the CPU.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

15 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

1.5V 1.7V is the max the manufacturers allow for Skylake (all 14nm CPUs), you would have to physically change a pin layout on some boards if you want to do extreme overclocking and go above 1.7V, even though 1.5V would cause the CPU to degrade much quicker but it won't kill it, at least not instantly

It seems to be 1.7V, I think what I'm remembering is Intel's recommendation to never go above 1.5V, though it's possible some boards would be limited to 1.5V

1 hour ago, Moonzy said:

sounds fine to me

probably nothing wrong

oh crap ok so the score for multi core of my procsessor online for CR20 is 1523 and mine was 1320.... is CR20 supossed to use all of my GHz? cuz it was not using over 3 GHz out of my max turbo of 4.90 Ghz

1523 and mine was 1320

it's fine, you probably have other things running, so the scores are slightly lower

is CR20 supossed to use all of my GHz? cuz it was not using over 3 GHz out of my max turbo of 4.90 Ghz

this is normal

1 hour ago, Moonzy said:

it's fine, you probably have other things running, so the scores are slightly lower

this is normal

ok let me run it then

1 hour ago, Moonzy said:

this is normal

i ran it with nothing open i restarted my laptop and then ran it and got a score of 1323 this time

Just now, C5Gaming said:

i ran it with nothing open i restarted my laptop and then ran it and got a score of 1323 this time

it's fine

1 hour ago, Moonzy said:

it's fine

thanks for the reasurring so to be clear my cpu wont die in a few days to weeks correct and will continue to work as if this didnt happen?

1 minute ago, C5Gaming said:

thanks for the reasurring so to be clear my cpu wont die in a few days to weeks correct and will continue to work as if this didnt happen?

no promises, but no point crying over spilled milk

1 hour ago, TofuHaroto said:

should be fine, if it happened for a super short time, and you reverted the settings back, then i guess it's fine. 

though can i ask how in the hell did you push 2 volts instantly to the cpu? lol.

i used intel tuning utility