Corsair CX550M vs Cooler Master MWE 550

Hey everyone.

So I’m in desperate need of a PSU upgrade so that I can power my new GPU (specs below). The two PSUs that I can get for the best deals for in my country are the Corsair CX550M and the Cooler Master MWE 550.

My question is not which PSU is better, because I already know that answer, but rather which one is better for ME. The Corsair is around $50 more expensive than the Cooler Master one and I want to know if that price difference is worth it and why exactly it’s worth it for someone like me. Money is a scarce commodity for me and if I can save money anywhere, I’d rather do it. The Corsair one also has a much longer shipping time (2 weeks), versus the CM’s 2 days.  

I also only intend to make more upgrades and I’ve already calculated that I don’t need more than 550w whatsoever. I also don’t overclock and don’t intend to overclock. I’m a simple man with simple needs.

Thanks and stay safe!

Build:

Intel i5 3470 @ 3.2 GHz

MSI RX 570 GAMING X 4GB

Kingston 8 GB DDR3 @1600MHz

2 TB WD Blue 

Kingston 256 GB SSD

MWE White, MWE Bronze, MWE Bronze v2, which exact model is it?

I'm inclined to say CX550M.*

Edited by Mateyyy
* missed the price difference

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

The CM is more than good enough for your rig, which isn't that power hungry to begin with.  Which MWE are you referring to however?  MWE is a range, not a specific unit.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

2 minutes ago, Samfisher said:

The CM is more than good enough for your rig, which isn't that power hungry to begin with.  Which MWE are you referring to however?  MWE is a range, not a specific unit.

Oh I see, the MWE 550 Bronze

10 hours ago, WILL.I.AMS said:

Cooler Master MWE 550.

what MWE? 

if it's the bronze or the white (V1 OR V1), i would go for the cxm..

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

Just now, WILL.I.AMS said:

$50 price difference between the two is kinda insane....

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

1 minute ago, Samfisher said:

$50 price difference between the two is kinda insane....

I know, which is why I can’t decide which one is more appropriate, and whether $50 is warranted

2 minutes ago, WILL.I.AMS said:

What country are you buying it from, or do you have a website we could use to check for other options? A $50 difference between them is quite ridiculous.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

the MWE 550 Bronze

is it the V2? as said above, 50 dollars is insane, if its the V2, while its not the best, it'll do the job.

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Build Log: 

1 minute ago, Mateyyy said:

What country are you buying it from, or do you have a website we could use to check for other options? A $50 difference between them is quite ridiculous.

I’m from South Africa, so if you can find any good deals, they would be more than welcome!

1 minute ago, TofuHaroto said:

is it the V2? as said above, 50 dollars is insane, if its the V2, while its not the best, it'll do the job.

The V2

so if you can find any good deals, they would be more than welcome!

any site we can check?

The V2

i mean if you are only limited to these two, it's certainly not a bad unit and will do the job. and what is the cx450 priced at? since that will be more than enough as well. 

Build Log: 

13 minutes ago, WILL.I.AMS said:

My question is not which PSU is better, because I already know that answer, but rather which one is better for ME. The Corsair is around $50 more expensive than the Cooler Master one and I want to know if that price difference is worth it and why exactly it’s worth it for someone like me.

Cooler Master MWE Bronze V2 would be good for your system. There's absolutely no reason to pay $50 more for the Corsair CX550M.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

2 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

any site we can check?

i mean if you are only limited to these two, it's certainly not a bad unit and will do the job. and what is the cx450 priced at? since that will be more than enough as well. 

The main sites here are:

https://m.takealot.com/
https://www.evetech.co.za/

https://www.wootware.co.za/

https://www.loot.co.za/welcome

There are others though.

I hadn’t yet looked at the cx450, but it’s about midway between the two in terms of pricing. I plan to upgrade to a Ryzen 2600, 16GB of RAM and a few more fans, if that makes any difference.

6 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Cooler Master MWE Bronze V2 would be good for your system. There's absolutely no reason to pay $50 more for the Corsair CX550M.

If I can find a better deal for the CX550M, maybe try find one around $20-30 more, would it be worth it then? 

Is the MWE Bronze really as bad as people say?

7 minutes ago, WILL.I.AMS said:

if that makes any difference.

Yea even then a 450w is more than enough. 

5 minutes ago, WILL.I.AMS said:

Is the MWE Bronze really as bad as people say

The v2 is more than fine. It's decent especially for your build.

Edit. I looked at the sites you linked and I found a cx450m for 64 bucks. 

https://www.loot.co.za/product/corsair-cx450m-atx-power-supply-unit-450w-semi-modula/fynd-4114-g980

Edited by TofuHaroto

Build Log: 

2 minutes ago, WILL.I.AMS said:

If I can find a better deal for the CX550M, maybe try find one around $20-30 more, would it be worth it then? 

The V1 is abhorrent. The V2 is mediocre 

Check for a SeaSonic Core or Be Quiet Pure Power Gold

1 minute ago, WILL.I.AMS said:

No, and I don't know what it is people are saying about it that you have read but I would say no it's not as bad as what they're saying if your impression is that the CX550M would be worth spending an extra $50 for.

There's 46 Cooler Master MWE units, 4 of which are "MWE Bronze 550W" units. Which one of these is the one you are looking at?

https://www.coolermaster.com/catalog/power-supplies/mwe-series/mwe-bronze-550/

https://www.coolermaster.com/catalog/power-supplies/mwe-series/mwe-550-bronze-v2/

https://www.coolermaster.com/catalog/power-supplies/mwe-series/mwe-550-bronze-v2-full-range/

https://www.coolermaster.com/catalog/power-supplies/mwe-series/mwe-550-bronze-v2-230v/

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

10 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

Yea even then a 450w is more than enough. 

The v2 is more than fine. It's decent especially for your build.

Edit. I looked at the sites you linked and I found a cx450m for 64 bucks. 

https://www.loot.co.za/product/corsair-cx450m-atx-power-supply-unit-450w-semi-modula/fynd-4114-g980

Is the 450w enough? Everyone always says to overshoot and get much more power than you need, just in case. Is this enough?

9 minutes ago, Spotty said:

No, and I don't know what it is people are saying about it that you have read but I would say no it's not as bad as what they're saying if your impression is that the CX550M would be worth spending an extra $50 for.

There's 46 Cooler Master MWE units, 4 of which are "MWE Bronze 550W" units. Which one of these is the one you are looking at?

https://www.coolermaster.com/catalog/power-supplies/mwe-series/mwe-bronze-550/

https://www.coolermaster.com/catalog/power-supplies/mwe-series/mwe-550-bronze-v2/

https://www.coolermaster.com/catalog/power-supplies/mwe-series/mwe-550-bronze-v2-full-range/

https://www.coolermaster.com/catalog/power-supplies/mwe-series/mwe-550-bronze-v2-230v/

The second one I think. But would the CX450 be good? It’s a great middle ground between the two, price-wise.

12 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

The V1 is abhorrent. The V2 is mediocre 

Check for a SeaSonic Core or Be Quiet Pure Power Gold

Unfortunately I can’t find those (or any EVGA for that matter) in my country.

21 minutes ago, WILL.I.AMS said:

Everyone always says to overshoot and get much more power than you need, just in case. Is this enough?

Yes it is. More then enough infact. 

A 450w unit. Can power a 2080ti and a 3950x for example. 

Build Log: 

2 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

Yes it is. More then enough infact. 

A 450w unit. Can power a 2080ti and a 3950x for example. 

Oh damn, okay I didn’t know that! 

Is the CV series from Corsair even worth a look? 

3 minutes ago, WILL.I.AMS said:

Is the CV series from Corsair even worth a look? 

Don't consider the cv450/550 as they're group reg meh units. The cv650 is better but might be more expensive where you live. But over all. Grey cx is better. 

Build Log: 

1 minute ago, TofuHaroto said:

Don't consider the cv450/550 as they're group reg meh units. The cv650 is better but might be more expensive where you live. But over all. Grey cx is better. 

Totally understandable! The calculator says I’ll need 410w in total even with all my planned upgrades, so I think I’ll go with the CX450M!

Thank you so much for your help!