What do you reckon is the best budget AM4 CPU right now to pair with an RX 580?

Ulz

Well, it's in the title. I'm just wondering because right now I'm on a Ryzen 3 3200G, which I got a while back. I want to upgrade to a Ryzen 5 3600X or at least Ryzen 5 2nd Gen. Should I stay with it and just overclock, or upgrade when I can?

1 minute ago, Ulz said:

Well, it's in the title. I'm just wondering because right now I'm on a Ryzen 3 3200G, which I got a while back. I want to upgrade to a Ryzen 5 3600X or at least Ryzen 5 2nd Gen. Should I stay with it and just overclock, or upgrade when I can?

Do you think you are you missing out on any performance currently?

The 3600 (non-X) has some pretty good value, same for a 3100 or 3300X, but those don't seem like very worthwhile upgrades for 'just' gaming.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Just now, minibois said:

Do you think you are you missing out on any performance currently?

The 3600 (non-X) has some pretty good value, same for a 3100 or 3300X, but those don't seem like very worthwhile upgrades for 'just' gaming.

Well I didn't feel I was getting as much performance as I should have, as I got a lot of stuttering in game, although I do only have 8gb of ram, at a very low clock speed too, at only 2400mhz as I just needed the build asap, and worried about upgrades later, but I am getting some decent 3200-3600 soon. It may be a configuration issue however I doubt it as everything works fine on my other cards (GTX 770) which makes me think my processor is in a low percentile, and I'm getting bottlenecking, except I saw the card working well with a 2200G so yeah :/

10 hours ago, Ulz said:

it's in the title. I'm just wondering because right now I'm on a Ryzen 3 3200G,

3600 i guess is the best value chip, another option is to also wait for zen 3.

budget? 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

1 minute ago, Ulz said:

Well I didn't feel I was getting as much performance as I should have, as I got a lot of stuttering in game, although I do only have 8gb of ram, at a very low clock speed too, at only 2400mhz as I just needed the build asap, and worried about upgrades later, but I am getting some decent 3200-3600 soon. It may be a configuration issue however I doubt it as everything works fine on my other cards (GTX 770) which makes me think my processor is in a low percentile, and I'm getting bottlenecking, except I saw the card working well with a 2200G so yeah :/

If you currently have 2400Mhz memory, that will definitely cause stutters.

I have a Ryzen system too and when I have my memory at 2133Mhz, I can feel and see stuttering.

Do you have 2x4GB of memory or 1x8GB?

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

7 minutes ago, minibois said:

If you currently have 2400Mhz memory, that will definitely cause stutters.

I have a Ryzen system too and when I have my memory at 2133Mhz, I can feel and see stuttering.

Do you have 2x4GB of memory or 1x8GB?

1 8gb lol, did have an old DDR3 Rig with the same GPU's with duel channel, and I got the same performance xD So now I get it, the issue is 100% RAM lmao, thanks so much, that confirms my suspicions!

8 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

3600 i guess is the best value chip, another option is to also wait for zen 3.

budget? 

150-350 Dollars. It's wide but eh, I'll come back when zen 3 comes out and figure out with everyone what the best is, I'm assuming it'll go with the trend and make Ryzen 5 the best Price per Dollar. Upgrading RAM first then going for CPU then case + fans.

10 hours ago, Ulz said:

the issue is 100% RAM

yea cutting your in half, it is lol.

10 hours ago, Ulz said:

Ryzen 5 the best Price per Dollar.

yea probably.

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

Just now, Ulz said:

1 8gb lol, did have an old DDR3 Rig with the same GPU's with duel channel, and I got the same performance xD So now I get it, the issue is 100% RAM lmao, thanks so much, that confirms my suspicions!

1x8GB at 2400Mhz is definitely the issue in this case yea :P 

This is just one benchmark on Ryzen, but it paints a picture:

Spoiler

image.png

2400Mhz is slower than the others at average fps (blue), but at minimum fps numbers (orange and gray) you can see it is MUCH slower (those numbers would be 'stutters' in real life).

9 minutes ago, minibois said:

1x8GB at 2400Mhz is definitely the issue in this case yea :P 

This is just one benchmark on Ryzen, but it paints a picture:

Hide contents

image.png

2400Mhz is slower than the others at average fps (blue), but at minimum fps numbers (orange and gray) you can see it is MUCH slower (those numbers would be 'stutters' in real life).

well I just turned the voltage up to 1.35V and the clock speed up to 2866. Won't be as good as new duel channel 3200, but I'll have an improvement. Thanks for all your help 😛 I mean it, I was going crazy tryna figure it out, and I must have passed off the RAM issue so many times as just a minor issue even though I had told people that you need good ram to get the most out of ryzen. Have a great rest of your day from the UK!