Samsung stops selling giant Odyssey G9 gaming monitor due to manufacturing defect

Summary

Samsung will supposedly stop selling Odyssey G9.

Quotes From PHONEMANTRA

Some Reddit users have complained about the unavailability of the new Samsung Odyssey G9 Ultra Wide 49-inch Curved Gaming Monitor. Recall that for the Russian market, the manufacturer rated this model at 109,990 rubles. Some Western retailers announced a delay in the delivery of new items, others completely suspended its implementation. As it turned out, the reason for this is a manufacturing defect.

However, ComputerBase was still able to get a comment from Samsung representatives. They said that all Odyssey G9 monitors that have already been ordered but have not yet been handed over to end-users should be subjected to additional quality checks, and delays in deliveries are expected. “To ensure optimal performance for Samsung Odyssey G9 monitors, Samsung has improved the manufacturing process for assembling them. All buyers ordered the monitors, which have not yet been delivered, starting from July 15, will undergo new quality control, which may affect the delay of delivery “ – said in a statement the company.

My thoughts

I haven't been able to find a solid article on the one defect of this monitor. Looking through a few reviews I saw a range of issues from, "dead areas of the screen" to "the LED back light not working" and "the back panel separating from the front".

Reddit also has an image of notice from micro center saying Samsung recommends the product not be released for sale. If that is true, then I am happy to see a company doing something beside releasing a product and waiting for the RMA's to stack up and make the user deal with this.

I don't know if LMG staff know about this, and that is why we haven't seen a review of G9 outside of short circuit. 

BHphotovideo has this listed as shipping FRI Jan 1, 2021 and only available for pre-order.

Sources

https://phonemantra.com/samsung-stops-selling-giant-odyssey-g9-gaming-monitor-due-to-manufacturing-defect/

https://www.computerbase.de/2020-07/samsung-odyssey-g9-gaming-monitor-problem/

1 minute ago, schwellmo92 said:

The most concerning thing about your post is that I found out ultrawide people think they’re a masterrace 

Awww come on, always a few in every group right?

The funny thing about this is the fact that I just watched a MKBHD video of him displaying this monitor.

1 hour ago, schwellmo92 said:

The most concerning thing about your post is that I found out ultrawide people think they’re a masterrace 

How is 60inches not?

Spoiler

593551196_PCcloser.jpg.86221e5a52eb126f5151292c3a48b152.jpg

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

1 hour ago, schwellmo92 said:

Salute your new overlords:

Spoiler

wid.png.887513f81295c34c01f376dcb9b91b19.png

1 hour ago, sgteaglefort said:

If that is true, then I am happy to see a company doing something beside releasing a product and waiting for the RMA's to stack up and make the user deal with this.

Can't help to have this play in my mind, every single time :P 

Spoiler

3 hours ago, schwellmo92 said:

Dual screens FTW (confuses the hell out of people in Discord).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Can Samsung release something that doesn't use VA though? 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

14 hours ago, SansVarnic said:

How is 60inches not?

Hide contents

That tubby guy in the middle is eyeing up your chips like nothing else.

49 inches? That's TV size! Didn't know monitors went up that high!

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

7 hours ago, Doobeedoo said:

Can Samsung release something that doesn't use VA though? 

you dont like Va?, it seems like one of the best base techs, it has much better blacks than the others which is a great plus, and colors are pretty good

26 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

you dont like Va?, it seems like one of the best base techs, it has much better blacks than the others which is a great plus, and colors are pretty good

It's worse than IPS in color and it's slower than TN and even IPS too. Blacks are still a far cry from actual OLED so it's whatever.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

18 hours ago, schwellmo92 said:

*Laughs in Triple Monitor*

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

6 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

Not always true.  Your primary difference between VA and IPS is viewing angles.   Color and speeds vary on the monitor themselves.  You can get a VA up to 240hz and 1ms.

Nope, IPS has better color than VA and yes there are 240Hz of both, but that and 1ms don't mean anything. Thing is VA is the slowest and can't really keep up for 240Hz more blur will be present.

22 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

Again, depends on the models.   Not every VA panel has blur that will be noticable, or is worse than every TN and IPS.   Not every IPS panel has better colors than every VA.

Every LCD has blur though, the fastest 240Hz panels that are TN and now IPS are faster than VA period. They have faster transitions. Obviously cheap IPS monitor will have off color than higher end VA but still, it's IPS tech though. It's all LCDs anyway, a lot of limitations in speed and color, contrast.

14 hours ago, Doobeedoo said:

It's worse than IPS in color and it's slower than TN and even IPS too. Blacks are still a far cry from actual OLED so it's whatever.

11 hours ago, Doobeedoo said:

Every LCD has blur though, the fastest 240Hz panels that are TN and now IPS are faster than VA period. They have faster transitions. Obviously cheap IPS monitor will have off color than higher end VA but still, it's IPS tech though. It's all LCDs anyway, a lot of limitations in speed and color, contrast.

not always true hardware unboxed just looked at one VA panel that was faster than all ips they had tested, or at least faster than most, though not a perfect monitor as it had problems of backlight bleed probably due to its curve

On 7/18/2020 at 9:27 PM, SansVarnic said:

How is 60inches not?

Hide contents

I'd honestly rather have the single monitor double wide just to remove the bezels and use ALL of the screen instead of portions. And the smooth curve. At least until they make a triple wide monitor.

But your picture really reminds me that I need to get a much taller center post for my stand so I'm not looking down at them or leaning back.

#Muricaparrotgang

7 hours ago, cj09beira said:

not always true hardware unboxed just looked at one VA panel that was faster than all ips they had tested, or at least faster than most, though not a perfect monitor as it had problems of backlight bleed probably due to its curve

Yeah that one just showed up, so that Samsung VA is one of the best, but it's still a VA panel. That initial test that's an average gtg though, dark level transitions are around average, so smearing, far from TN ones. General slow dark transitions, has some inverse ghosting. It still can't have 100% transitions for true 240Hz even though it's solid, still. Strobing is not good or tunable. Overall specs are very good but it costs €700/€800 for 27"/32" so it's rather expensive. 

5 hours ago, JZStudios said:

I'd honestly rather have the single monitor double wide just to remove the bezels and use ALL of the screen instead of portions. And the smooth curve. At least until they make a triple wide monitor.

But your picture really reminds me that I need to get a much taller center post for my stand so I'm not looking down at them or leaning back.

problem with simple monitors that wide is that windows and programs in general dont handle them very well, with multiple monitors its easier to separate windows neatly (i run (1920+2560+1920)*1080p myself)

17 hours ago, cj09beira said:

problem with simple monitors that wide is that windows and programs in general dont handle them very well, with multiple monitors its easier to separate windows neatly (i run (1920+2560+1920)*1080p myself)

It has an app or something that splits the monitor in a bunch of different ways to get around that. Don't think it would be that hard to tell it to split the monitor in half while still not having bezels, and then I could just play games native instead of messing around with NV Surround which screws up every time. And no, I'm not paying for Display Fusion to fix a problem that NV should've solved years ago.

#Muricaparrotgang

On 7/18/2020 at 11:15 PM, schwellmo92 said:

Once you got ultrawide you don't go back. LOL. 

I have a 21:9 panel and a 16:9 panel. The 21:9 is nice. Great for productivity and for surfing the web. The other panel I use for videos mainly. I myself have not tried 32:9, was considering buying one, but I was talked out of it. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

5 hours ago, Donut417 said:

Once you got ultrawide you don't go back. LOL. 

I have a 21:9 panel and a 16:9 panel. The 21:9 is nice. Great for productivity and for surfing the web. The other panel I use for videos mainly. I myself have not tried 32:9, was considering buying one, but I was talked out of it. 

I had an ultrawide, I went back.

4 hours ago, schwellmo92 said:

I had an ultrawide, I went back.

Not sure why. The extra real estate is quite nice. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

• 1 month later...

I have the 27" G7 and I love it.  I was just looking around to upgrade to G9 and I can't find it anywhere.  B&H has it listed as coming soon.  Is there any update on this?

On 7/19/2020 at 5:27 AM, SansVarnic said:

How is 60inches not?

Hide contents

Lucky git having enough free real estate for that.