What's the appeal in huge televisions?

pythonmegapixel

Note: This post is not intended to attack people who choose to buy large TVs, or even change their opinion. It's your money, not mine, so what you spend it on is really none of my business. I'm just interested.

A few of my friends now have televisions with large displays of 50-60 inches or more. The problem is, to me it seems that a TV of that size is really quite dominating in the room and looks out-of-scale with everything else. It's quite tiring to watch compared with something smaller.

Those of you who buy this kind of size display, what do you like about them? And what do you not like about them? If we have sufficient very similar answers I might add a poll but for now I'm just interested to hear.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

Status symbol. Like buying a white pickup truck to drive back and forth from your office job.

Or a fancy watch so you can feel like a boss while checking the time on your phone.

BabyBlu (Primary): 

• CPU: Intel Core i9 9900K @ up to 5.3GHz, 5.0GHz all-core, delidded
  • Motherboard: Asus Maximus XI Hero
  • RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4-3200 @ 4000MHz 16-18-18-34
  • GPU: MSI RTX 2080 Sea Hawk EK X, 2070MHz core, 8000MHz mem
  • Case: Phanteks Evolv X
  • Storage: XPG SX8200 Pro 2TB, 3x ADATASU800 1TB (RAID 0), Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB
  • PSU: Corsair HX1000i
  • Display: MSI MPG341CQR 34" 3440x1440 144Hz Freesync, Dell S2417DG 24" 2560x1440 165Hz Gsync
  • Cooling: Custom water loop (CPU & GPU), Radiators: 1x140mm(Back), 1x280mm(Top), 1x420mm(Front)
  • Keyboard: Corsair Strafe RGB (Cherry MX Brown)
  • Mouse: MasterMouse MM710
  • Headset: Corsair Void Pro RGB

Roxanne (Wife Build):

• CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K @ up to 5.0GHz, 4.8Ghz all-core, relidded w/ LM
  • Motherboard: Asus Z97A
  • RAM: G.Skill Sniper 4x8GB DDR3-2400 @ 10-12-12-24
  • GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 w/ LM
  • Case: Corsair Vengeance C70, w/ Custom Side-Panel Window
  • Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Silicon Power A80 2TB NVME
  • PSU: Corsair AX760
  • Display: Samsung C27JG56 27" 2560x1440 144Hz Freesync
  • Cooling: Corsair H115i RGB
  • Keyboard: GMMK TKL(Kailh Box White)
  • Mouse: Glorious Model O-
  • Headset: SteelSeries Arctis 7

BigBox (HTPC):

• CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3600 @ 3600MHz 14-14-14-28
  • GPU: MSI RTX 3080 Ventus 3X Plus OC, de-shrouded, LM TIM, replaced mem therm pads
  • Case: Fractal Design Node 202
  • Storage: SP A80 1TB, WD Black SN770 2TB
  • PSU: Corsair SF600 Gold w/ NF-A9x14
  • Display: Samsung QN90A 65" (QLED, 4K, 120Hz, HDR, VRR)
  • Cooling: Thermalright AXP-100 Copper w/ NF-A12x15
  • Keyboard/Mouse: Rii i4
  • Controllers: 4X Xbox One & 2X N64 (with USB)
  • Sound: Denon AVR S760H with 5.1.2 Atmos setup.

Harmonic (NAS/Game/Plex/Other Server):

• CPU: Intel Core i7 6700
  • Motherboard: ASRock FATAL1TY H270M
  • RAM: 64GB DDR4-2133
  • GPU: Intel HD Graphics 530
  • Case: Fractal Design Define 7
  • HDD: 3X Seagate Exos X16 14TB in RAID 5
  • SSD: Inland Premium 512GB NVME, Sabrent 1TB NVME
  • Optical: BDXL WH14NS40 flashed to WH16NS60
  • PSU: Corsair CX450
  • Display: None
  • Cooling: Noctua NH-U14S
  • Keyboard/Mouse: None

NAS:

• Synology DS216J
  • 2x8TB WD Red NAS HDDs in RAID 1. 8TB usable space

i recently got a 55"version of the Samsung The Frame TV. before that i always had a 32" samsung.

i got the bigger one because of a few reasons

1- i love watching movies, and on such a large screen you really do see more of the content imo.

2- i got a bigger house and now my sofa is a lot farther from the screen

3- this particular screen has a 'picture mode'. basically a always on functionality which makes it look like a painting when in stand-by.

(not my photo)

Samsung_Frame.thumb.jpg.15189cb0472d39c1afdb41d5aa65582c.jpg

idk i feel like 50 inches is a pretty standard size for a TV smaller than that and you are getting into the monitors size range. 

Sit reeeeeally far away from it.

Bear in mind, what kind of household are we talking about here? Because in the US:

5 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

50 inches is a pretty standard size for a TV

But in someplace like Japan it's pretty massive.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

8 minutes ago, pythonmegapixel said:

Note: This post is not intended to attack people who choose to buy large TVs, or even change their opinion. It's your money, not mine, so what you spend it on is really none of my business. I'm just interested.

A few of my friends now have televisions with large displays of 50-60 inches or more. The problem is, to me it seems that a TV of that size is really quite dominating in the room and looks out-of-scale with everything else. It's quite tiring to watch compared with something smaller.

Those of you who buy this kind of size display, what do you like about them? And what do you not like about them? If we have sufficient very similar answers I might add a poll but for now I'm just interested to hear.

Ultimately it comes down to two things:

1. Personal preference

2. Size of the room

For me, I have a 50" Plasma TV in my living room. The living room isn't huge by any stretch - smaller than many for sure. I would go even bigger, and likely will when this one dies and I need to replace it.

Obviously if a larger TV is fatiguing to you, you're not the right person to get a large TV. But for me, the bigger the better (all things being equal, obviously). I prefer having the TV as big as possible, so I can see more detail, and so I can enjoy the immersion of the content better.

Movies, in particular, are much better on a bigger screen, in my opinion (this also extends to "cinematic" TV shows like GOT/ST:Discovery/The Expanse, etc). Video games also benefit from having a larger screen, since it's easier to pick out minute pixel level details.

My next TV will likely be 60" or even bigger.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

16 minutes ago, pythonmegapixel said:

Those of you who buy this kind of size display, what do you like about them?

A big TV is more immersive than a small one. That's the whole point for me: the TV is only used for watching movies and TV-shows on and it's just a much more pleasant experience to watch those on a really big screen.

I do not care if it looks out-of-place or makes the room look ugly or if it's bigger or smaller than someone else's or any of that stuff. I just want as good a viewing-experience as possible, period.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

18 minutes ago, pythonmegapixel said:

Movies, Sports & Games. 

Currently on 65” but my next TV will be 77” or bigger (if 8K). 

Just more immersive and I prefer the cinema style set up. 

14 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

A big TV is more immersive than a small one. That's the whole point for me: the TV is only used for watching movies and TV-shows on and it's just a much more pleasant experience to watch those on a really big screen.

I do not care if it looks out-of-place or makes the room look ugly or if it's bigger or smaller than someone else's or any of that stuff. I just want as good a viewing-experience as possible, period.

I think it also depends on the room. If it's in a big room, then a small TV would look a little bit out of place; but in a small room where the TV takes up a whole wall's worth of space, it would very much look large, dominating, and very much out of proportion.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

More immersive. I have a 65in OLED and sit about 7ft away from it. I'm planning on replacing it with a 77in this year for the same distance. In my subjective opinion, you want the largest screen you can have where, at the distance you sit, you don't need to turn your head left/right. That's perfect immersion. 

I would also not consider a 50-55in TV big. That's normal these days. 

28 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I think it also depends on the room. If it's in a big room, then a small TV would look a little bit out of place; but in a small room where the TV takes up a whole wall's worth of space, it would very much look large, dominating, and very much out of proportion.

It also depends on what room it is.

Some people have "sitting rooms" still - which are kind of like a Living Room, but the TV (if there even is one) is not the primary focus of the room. If there even is a TV in that room, it's likely a small one out of the way and unassuming.

But if it's a regular Living Room, where the primary function of the room is to watch TV, you can aesthetically get away with a much larger TV without it looking weird.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

14 minutes ago, NickTheMajin said:

More immersive. I have a 65in OLED and sit about 7ft away from it. I'm planning on replacing it with a 77in this year for the same distance. In my subjective opinion, you want the largest screen you can have where, at the distance you sit, you don't need to turn your head left/right. That's perfect immersion. 

I would also not consider a 50-55in TV big. That's normal these days. 

I mean... I'm perfectly happy with the 40in screen that my family has... but anyway...

The thing is, I don't really want to be "immersed" in my TV. I know I'm probably in a minority here but having the only thing in my field of view being a screen just feels... unpleasant.

But as I said in my original post, to each their own.

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

1 minute ago, pythonmegapixel said:

I mean... I'm perfectly happy with the 40in screen that my family has... but anyway...

The thing is, I don't really want to be "immersed" in my TV. I know I'm probably in a minority here but having the only thing in my field of view being a screen just feels... unpleasant.

But as I said in my original post, to each their own.

That's cool.

That's exactly why manufacturers sell all kinds of different TV sizes. Each person can choose what they like best.

In your case, you can choose a smaller TV, if that suits you better.

For the vast majority of people, though, bigger is better.

1 hour ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Personally, I don't care about any of that. My hubby and I have our 55" TV in a small room and it's fine. Doesn't look good, but the house isn't a fashion-statement anyways, so we just don't care.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

1 hour ago, pythonmegapixel said:

The cinematic experience.

Funnily enough with the adoption of 4k as standard, the ideal screen size has increased, thus 50"-60" isnt 'huge'.

In the UK our homes tend to be smaller and thus have smaller rooms, but even so its not uncommon for 50"+ screens to be setup in main room. That being said there is a market for smaller display over here for flats/apartments' and inner city terraced houses with small rooms.

None the less the ideal screen size for TV/movie use is usually around 1/2 the seating distance (though u can go bigger). (or visa versa if u want to know ur ideal viewing distance take ur screen size and x2 for TV/movie use)

Your average main room in the UK isnt usually a perfect square, u can expect measurement of around 5m by 3.5m with the average 'new' home in the UK built since 1970 averaging 17m2 as the main living room size.

With that in mind u can work out the view distance of a screen. Assuming u dont have it in front of the main window or with the window behind it (reflections), u can assume the shortest width of the room to be the one ur working with.

So 3.5m. with 'couch' dimensions and seating position ,and position of the TV away form the wall, u can roughly estimate that the biggest distance 'on average' u have to work with is somewhere in the region of 113inches. So the 'ideal' biggest size of a screen would be around 55", which just so happens to be the smallest size u find the best TV models in.

While the older houses built pre 1970 having main rooms averaging around 25m2 u can estimate u have a room dimensions around 6m x 4m. Same as above that means u can fit a 65" screen in ideally.

So with that said, 55" to 65" screens in the UK are actually 'normal', while 75" would be considered 'big', and larger still 'huge'.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |