I have a question about overclocking

Please help me understand this, I watched him play on a setting panel and got my cards memory to 1789 and clocks to 5128 mhz. 

But when I checked again he set it to (memory 1752/clocks 5085). 

Why did he lower my clocks by so much? 

Even the cpu clocks too he got it to 4.2ghz but he locked them to 4.1 at all cores too. 

I won't touch the settings he did but can someone explain to me to understand? 

Sorry still an overclocking noob. 

Silent Cerberus - Fractal Design Core500,Ryzen R7 3700x,Scythe Fuma 2,Gigabyte Aorus B550i Pro AX,Crucial Ballistix Elite 3200mhz cl16 16gb,Adata XPG SX8200 nvme 512gb m.2 ssd,Lexar NS100 1tb ssd,Red Dragon RX5700 8gb(bio flashed 5700xt),Corsair SF600 SFX 600w 80+ platinum F-Modular. 

Hades - dO.Ob Look into my eyes and see the dark eternal abyss that is your soul and pay for your hidden sins. 

Cerberus - the hell hound that guards the gates of hell. Once you enter you'll never escape. 

who is he? not sure what you're talking about.

what cpu and gpu do you have? what software do you use for overclocking?

Who?

2 minutes ago, StrawberryShortCakes said:

, I watched him play

he set it to

Just now, boggy77 said:

He's my sister's friend he did the overclocking on my sister's system, I asked him to overclock my 3700x and RX5700 and bios flash it to an xt as well. 

Silent Cerberus - Fractal Design Core500,Ryzen R7 3700x,Scythe Fuma 2,Gigabyte Aorus B550i Pro AX,Crucial Ballistix Elite 3200mhz cl16 16gb,Adata XPG SX8200 nvme 512gb m.2 ssd,Lexar NS100 1tb ssd,Red Dragon RX5700 8gb(bio flashed 5700xt),Corsair SF600 SFX 600w 80+ platinum F-Modular. 

Hades - dO.Ob Look into my eyes and see the dark eternal abyss that is your soul and pay for your hidden sins. 

Cerberus - the hell hound that guards the gates of hell. Once you enter you'll never escape. 

Maybe "He" was doing stable OC

Reminder⚠️

I'm just speaking from experience so what I say may not work 100%

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

8 minutes ago, StrawberryShortCakes said:

won't touch the settings he did but can someone explain to me to understand? 

What settings did he use then?

Dropping a step below borderlines stable isnt uncommon

4 minutes ago, gloop said:

Who?

4 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

Ryzen R7 3700x,Rx5700, Not sure but it's got a msi icon on the desktop

Just now, Kanna said:

Maybe "He" was doing stable OC

Huh?

1 minute ago, StrawberryShortCakes said:

Huh?

Doing unstable overclock could short the CPU aka destroy it

Reminder⚠️

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

Dropping a step below the max stable overclock obtained isn't bad practice if you want to make sure it's stable for 24/7 usage, regardless of whatever odd workload you might throw at the system.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

1 minute ago, GoldenLag said:

What settings did he use then?

Dropping a step below borderlines stable isnt uncommon

That's why I'm asking. I don't understand the method at all. 

it's part of the overclocking process. you push it as far as possible, until it starts crashing. then you dial back a bit and re-test until stable again.

Then you shouldn’t have attempted overclocking if you don’t know what you are doing. Have you ever seen the clip where a guy literally blew up his 1080ti running Furmark after ocing it?

Id reset all things to stock, read a guide and then attempt it again. 

1 minute ago, Mateyyy said:

Dropping a step below the max stable overclock obtained isn't bad practice if you want to make sure it's stable for 24/7 usage, regardless of whatever odd workload you might throw at the system.

Just now, boggy77 said:

it's part of the overclocking process. you push it as far as possible, until it starts crashing. then you dial back a bit and re-test until stable again.

You mean if he had set the the higher clocks I would have problems? 

2 minutes ago, Kanna said:

Doing unstable overclock could short the CPU aka destroy it

Thats not what a unstable overclock does...,... Like at all....

Well im asking what settings did he use. 

And using slightly lower settings than what was stable isnt uncommon

1 minute ago, gloop said:

Then you shouldn’t have attempted overclocking if you don’t know what you are doing. Have you ever seen the clip where a guy literally blew up his 1080ti running Furmark after ocing it?

Id reset all things to stock, read a guide and then attempt it again. 

I didn't do the overclocking Brandon did it for me. 

6 minutes ago, StrawberryShortCakes said:

sometimes a stable overclock one day can become unstable another and as others say it could be borderline stable and causes an application/computer to crash occasionally over a long period of time so he dropped it a bit to make certain that its stable. and he probably doesnt want to be called back every time that happens

upon thinking about it theres no way he got your gpu clock speed to 5000+ mhz the 5700xt's normal clock speed is 1740

If you're at the absolute maximum it's common for the PC to sometimes crash depending on what you do. So you reduce a bit to leave margin.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Not necessarily, but I've personally had an overclock not fail through a 3 or so hour Prime95 run, but then crash in some random game or whatever.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

2 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

Thats not what a unstable overclock does...,... Like at all....

Thanks for notifying me I'm still learning I will bank that info :D

Reminder⚠️

1 minute ago, spartaman64 said:

sometimes a stable overclock one day can become unstable another and as others say it could be borderline stable and causes an application/computer to crash occasionally over a long period of time so he dropped it a bit to make certain that its stable. and he probably doesnt want to be called back every time that happens

Ah OK I see, now that I can understand. Wouldn't want to be that annoying Lil brother of a friend. lol. 

yes, the overclocking process goes like this:

you start from stock, let's say 1500 for the gpu.

-you add +100, you test, it works. it's now 1600

-you add +100, you test, it works. it's now 1700

-you add +100, you test, it works. it's now 1800.

-you add +50, you test, it works. it's now 1850.

- you add + 50, you test, it crashes.

you go back to 1800 and that's your overclock.

Just now, StrawberryShortCakes said:

Ah OK I see, now that I can understand. Wouldn't want to be that annoying Lil brother of a friend. lol. 

The biggest question is what voltage he used for the overclock. 

Hence me asking what settings he used. 

4 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

If you're at the absolute maximum it's common for the PC to sometimes crash depending on what you do. So you reduce a bit to leave margin.

OK, I understand thank you 

1 minute ago, boggy77 said:

yes, the overclocking process goes like this:

you start from stock, let's say 1500 for the gpu.

-you add +100, you test, it works. it's now 1600

-you add +100, you test, it works. it's now 1700

-you add +100, you test, it works. it's now 1800.

-you add +50, you test, it works. it's now 1850.

- you add + 50, you test, it crashes.

you go back to 1800 and that's your overclock.

No wonder it took him 3hrs...

2 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

The biggest question is what voltage he used for the overclock. 

Hence me asking what settings he used. 

This what he told me :

Cpu is at 4.1ghzall cores oc, static 1.31

Gpu is memory at 1752 / clocks 5085mhz power slider maxed. 

That's all I know

Just now, StrawberryShortCakes said:

This what he told me :

Cpu is at 4.1ghzall cores oc, static 1.31

Gpu is memory at 1752 / clocks 5085mhz power slider maxed. 

That's all I know

Ah well its an ok overclock then. Just making sure he didnt input lethal voltage.