GTX 980 vs GTX 1650 for streaming

startmenu

Just a quick question to everyone!

I already have a GTX 980 being used as my streaming hardware on my streaming unit and i am just wondering if its worth to get a GTX 1650 to replace it or an RTX card for better quality for my streams. Any feedback would be highly appreciated! 

2 minutes ago, startmenu said:

Just a quick question to everyone!

I already have a GTX 980 being used as my streaming hardware on my streaming unit and i am just wondering if its worth to get a GTX 1650 to replace it or an RTX card for better quality for my streams. Any feedback would be highly appreciated! 

16 series should be good enough due to the nvenc encoder

PC specs:

Ryzen 9 3900X overclocked to 4.3-4.4 GHz

Corsair H100i platinum

32 GB Trident Z RGB 3200 MHz 14-14-14-34

RTX 2060

MSI MPG X570 Gaming Edge wifi

NZXT H510

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

2 TB WD hard drive

Corsair RM 750 Watt

ASUS ROG PG248Q 

Razer Ornata Chroma

Razer Firefly 

Razer Deathadder 2013

Logitech G935 Wireless

would recommend waiting for the new ampere GPUs if you are looking for more performance and quality

G502 Lightspeed Review

PC:

Spoiler

i5-6400

GIGABYTE GA-H110M-DS2

CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX 2X4 DDR4-2666MHz

ASUS ROG STRIX-GTX 1060-O6G

SEAGATE 2TB HDD

FUJISTU F300 240GB SSD

CORSAIR CX750M

Laptop:

Spoiler

Acer Nitro 5
i5 8300h
GTX 1050 4Gb
12 Gb RAM

128 Gb SSD

1 Tb HDD

Peripherals:

Spoiler

Keyboard:

Logitech G310 Atlas Dawn (Romer G)

Rexus Legionare MX5.1 (Content Browns)

Mice:

Logitech G602

Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Steelseries Rival 105

Logitech M330

Headset:

Logitech G430 
Cooler Master MH 752

1 minute ago, eeeee1 said:

Sadly, the nvenc on the 1650 is merely the pascal encoder, instead of the new turing encoder. The improvement would not be that large over the 980's Maxwell encoder, so that GPU should probably stay in the system by itself.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

7 minutes ago, eeeee1 said:

Thank for responding! 

7 minutes ago, eeeee1 said:

Thank for responding! I will take note of this!

6 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

Sadly, the nvenc on the 1650 is merely the pascal encoder, instead of the new turing encoder. The improvement would not be that large over the 980's Maxwell encoder, so that GPU should probably stay in the system by itself.

Thank for responding! Do you have any forums or video of that? If that is the case would it be better to get a RTX card instead?

Just now, startmenu said:

would not take note of this as it has the pascal encoder, and not the actual good turing encoder. 

also its just a much slower GPU. 

gtx 980 is a better option. 

1 minute ago, startmenu said:

Thank for responding! Do you have any forums or video of that? If that is the case would it be better to get a RTX card instead?

The 1650 super and higher are equipped with the Turing encoder, the 1650 regular is the only 16 series card with the pascal encoder. 

I believe Gamer's Nexus is where I heard that info, you could check out the reviews on that channel for a lot of info.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

4 minutes ago, startmenu said:

The 1650 Super and up GPUs have the Turing encoder on them. The 1650S is also roughly on par with the 980 in terms of gaming performance.

1 minute ago, Fasauceome said:

the 1650 regular is the only 16 series card with the pascal encoder. 

It's got the Volta encoder on it, though to be fair afaik it's about on par with the Pascal encoder in terms of quality.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

2 minutes ago, startmenu said:

The cheapest GPU that has nvec is the 1650 super. 

If you can't get that , get the 980.

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

2 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

The cheapest GPU that has nvec is the 1650 super. 

If you can't get that , get the 980.

I already have the 980 being my hardware encoder for my streaming PC. Would that be enough?

Would that be enough?

For the most part yes. 

Don't get a 1650.

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

4 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

The 1650 Super and up GPUs have the Turing encoder on them. The 1650S is also roughly on par with the 980 in terms of gaming performance.

It's got the Volta encoder on it, though to be fair afaik it's about on par with the Pascal encoder in terms of quality.

If its par with 980's pascal encoding it wouldn't be a big upgrade then?

I already have the 980 being my hardware encoder for my streaming PC. Would that be enough?

If it serves its purpose, then you wouldn't have too much of a reason to get rid of it, unless the power consumption was a concern to you.

Primary PC:

Just now, TofuHaroto said:

For the most part yes. 

Don't get a 1650.

Alright, thanks for your input. I will remove 1650 then from my options and instead will be looking at those RTX cards.

Just now, Fasauceome said:

If it serves its purpose, then you wouldn't have too much of a reason to get rid of it, unless the power consumption was a concern to you.

Power consumption shouldn't be an issue since i am using a Gaming PC and Streaming PC. I just want to bump up my streaming quality because i want to have a quality especially for fast phase games.

If its par with 980's pascal encoding it wouldn't be a big upgrade then?

The 980 is Maxwell, not Pascal. The Volta encoder used in the 1650 is similar to the Pascal one, the Turing encoder (on the 1650 Super and better) is better.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

Power consumption shouldn't be an issue since i am using a Gaming PC and Streaming PC. I just want to bump up my streaming quality because i want to have a quality especially for fast phase games.

Then you may want to consider a 1650 super to improve stream quality, it's the cheapest appreciable upgrade. Cheapest model you can get would do 

Primary PC:

1 minute ago, Mateyyy said:

The 980 is Maxwell, not Pascal. The Volta encoder used in the 1650 is similar to the Pascal one, the Turing encoder (on the 1650 Super and better) is better.

Oh i got confused on that. LOL

Hmmm... im having some second thoughts on 1650 since its the cheapest one.

1 minute ago, Fasauceome said:

Then you may want to consider a 1650 super to improve stream quality, it's the cheapest appreciable upgrade. Cheapest model you can get would do 

Yeah i wont be using it for gaming anyways since i have a 1080ti on  my gaming PC

Yeah i wont be using it for gaming anyways since i have a 1080ti on  my gaming PC

The 1080 ti has two pascal encoders, you might want to stream from your main PC, without the secondary PC, you might get better results and not need to run two systems.

Primary PC:

14 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

would not take note of this as it has the pascal encoder, and not the actual good turing encoder. 

also its just a much slower GPU. 

gtx 980 is a better option. 

Are you referring  to 1650?

Are you referring  to 1650?

yes the 1650 has the pascal derived encoder. 

its also slower iirc in gaming, if you want something new, id aim 1650 super or higher

1 minute ago, GoldenLag said:

yes the 1650 has the pascal derived encoder. 

its also slower iirc in gaming, if you want something new, id aim 1650 super or higher

Alright, I will take note of this! Thanks for the input!