Windows is showing half of the RAM speed

Hi.....I'm suddenly seeing half of my RAM speed in task manager. It didn't happen before. I'm using Geil Evo spear (2x4 GB) DDR4 2400 MHz in dual channel. The Xmp profile 2400 MHz is enabled. It's showing 2400 MHz speed in the BIOS. But in windows task manager, it's showing half of the configured speed. I've tried setting the ram in 2133 MHz, but it's still showing half of the speed (1067 MHz in this case). But it didn't happen before. It showed 2400 MHz until now. I've tried installing the rams in different slots, but it didn't work. I'm guessing the problem is in windows.... ????

EDIT: Erm, maybe I'm too eager to read into things...

I edit my posts more often than not

1 minute ago, Marshg3 said:

what motherboard you using 

ASROCK AB350 Pro 4

1 minute ago, Tan3l6 said:

CPU-Z does show the real frequency of the "double data rate"

I already saw some post about "Double Data Rate".... But the task manger showed 2400 MHz Recently..... 

2 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Check via CPU-Z. Should show half. Task manager can be a bit unreliable. 

CPUZ is also showing 1200 MHz... But the Motherboard's BIOS is showing 2400 MHz........

Just now, Kawshik_Ghosh said:

CPUZ is also showing 1200 MHz... But the Motherboard's BIOS is showing 2400 MHz........

That's fine then. 

XMP profiles and motherboards typically show the effective clock. CPU-Z will always show the actual clock speed, which is half the effective. 

1 minute ago, Kawshik_Ghosh said:

That's the same thing.

(DDR = double rate)

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

What RAM-Kit exactly are you using? (a screenshot of CPU-Zs SPD tab would be helpful)

4 minutes ago, Korben said:

What RAM-Kit exactly are you using? (a screenshot of CPU-Zs SPD tab would be helpful)

image.png.d26218235e63a819d9d36c97139dd658.pngimage.png.2e5a828e675bd165d18621277d03b9aa.pngimage.png.b409a04196fb07651b66797eeb4bff3c.png

6 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

That's fine then. 

XMP profiles and motherboards typically show the effective clock. CPU-Z will always show the actual clock speed, which is half the effective. 

So it's not an issue...? Are you seeing the same thing in your task manager....?

Just now, Kawshik_Ghosh said:

So it's not an issue...? Are you seeing the same thing in your task manager....?

It's not an issue. Trust CPU-Z over task manager, it ALWAYS shows the actual clock so can be relied on. 

My own task manager shows the effective speed, but I wouldn't rely on it. Windows doesn't even use the correct units for disk space, wouldn't trust it with RAM speeds. 

11 minutes ago, Kawshik_Ghosh said:

I already saw some post about "Double Data Rate".... But the task manger showed 2400 MHz Recently..... 

Yeah windows task manager is stupid.

Look at CPUZ or HWINFO to see the acctual speed.

Ignore task manager.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, Kawshik_Ghosh said:

Yes it seems fine. Although the CPU-Z show a actual frequency of 1066 MHz, not the XMP profile's 1200 MHz. Maybe check XMP settings in BIOS again.

I also see the "real" frequence in Taskmanager.

2 minutes ago, Korben said:

Yes it seems fine. Although the CPU-Z show a actual frequency of 1066 MHz, not the XMP profile's 1200 MHz. Maybe check XMP settings in BIOS again.

I also see the "real" frequence in Taskmanager.

CPU-Z is showing 1197.1MHz. 

My memory, which is 3600MHz, shows the exact same on the SPD tab for max bandiwidth. The memory tab is what shows the actual speed.

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

Yeah windows task manager is stupid.

Look at CPUZ or HWINFO to see the acctual speed.

Ignore task manager.

I disagree. It's stupid to say the speed should be shown as 2400 Mhz. It should not. The 2400 rating is in MT/s not MHz. And that's where all this confusion comes from. Taskmanager just shows you the real value, not the high value you may like better...

4 minutes ago, Korben said:

I disagree. It's stupid to say the speed should be shown as 2400 Mhz. It should not. The 2400 rating is in MT/s not MHz. And that's where all this confusion comes from. Taskmanager just shows you the real value, not the high value you may like better...

It doesn't. Task manager is inconsistent which is why it shouldn't be used. (for reliable specs)

Mine shows the effective clock speed, not the real one.

mem.PNG.d6bdcb70ac866ef3c3252ba1145ab2a6.PNG

5 minutes ago, Korben said:

image.png.19be232b6f77ca98d47eb147c24885ae.png
Is this okay ...?

3 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

It doesn't. Task manager is inconsistent which is why it shouldn't be used. (for reliable specs)

image.png.284ddc2d9ba7fe1a06bdfd36b4e86394.png

3 hours ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Ok, then this is a Windows bug. Maybe they patched it (mine shows the real clock spead, I am on an Insider Build) and you don't have received the patch, yet.

I wonder why they change it...hmmmmm...

1 minute ago, Korben said:

Ok, then this is a Windows bug. Maybe they patched it (mine shows the real clock spead, I am on an Insider Build) and you don't have received the patch, yet.

I wonder why they change it...hmmmmm...

Another system on a different W10 build and different patch level (currently on May Cumulative), same thing. 

image.png.9faf264fe02c12bf179df38009a5a0fd.png

My laptop, which is on the same build as this PC and same patch level, shows actual speed. 

I don't know what determines what it uses. Maybe it's down to how the motherboard reports the speeds, but even across my own systems, it's not always the same, which is why I don't trust it. CPU-Z always shows the actual speed, so I just advise using that. 

Windows Task Manager is complete junk at showing RAM speed.

I'm overclocking my RAM...at the moment.

I set it in BIOS to DDR4-3400, but it failed, motherboard did it's thing to attempt to boot with the timings I manually set, and booted into Windows at DDR4-2800.

Task Manager thought the RAM is running at 3400 MHz -- it is not.

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>