No you don't.

It's only for heavy overclocking 

A single 8 pin eps can provide up to 384 watts 

Which you won't reach any time soon

Edit, why x470 

Get a b550 strix f or a aorus pro or s tomahawk max or a mortar 

Heck even a b450 tomahawk max will do

Edited by TofuHaroto

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

First of all, don't buy an X470 board now when you've got plenty of options in the shape of B550 and X570 boards.

Secondly, you don't need more than a single 8-pin for any Ryzen 3000 chip if you're on ambient cooling.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

Just now, Mateyyy said:

First of all, don't buy an X470 board now when you've got plenty of options in the shape of B550 and X570 boards.

Secondly, you don't need more than a single 8-pin for any Ryzen 3000 chip if you're on ambient cooling.

ok thanks, i found a good deal on a used one of these boards and b550 and x570 are a lot more expensive and i dont personally see any benefit although if you think there is id love to know

Get something like a B550/X570 Tomahawk and you'll be happy. No ryzen 3000 CPU can max out a single 8-pin under normal cooling (Air/Water).

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

Just now, Stahlmann98 said:

Get something like a B550/X570 Tomahawk and you'll be happy. No ryzen 3000 CPU can max out a single 8-pin under normal cooling (Air/Water).

ok thanks, as i said in a previous post this is cheaper than any of b550s or x570s i can find and those newer boards dont seem to offer much for me although if you think they might please tell me

3 minutes ago, Cupar19 said:

ok thanks, i found a good deal on a used one of these boards and b550 and x570 are a lot more expensive and i dont personally see any benefit although if you think there is id love to know

I wouldn't buy any X470 board for more than 150$. Boards like the X570 Tomahawk for 200$ will outperform even some of the best X470 boardsin terms of VRM design.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

I wouldn't buy any X470 board for more than 200$. Boards like the X570 Tomahawk for 200$ will outperform even some of the best X470 boardsin terms of VRM design.

this cost me about £100

Just now, Cupar19 said:

this cost me about £100

Then it seems like a solid deal. Altough idk if MSI will support next gen processors with this board. But for the record, you only have to plug in a single 8-pin for your CPU to work flawlessly.

1 minute ago, Stahlmann98 said:

Then it seems like a solid deal. Altough idk if MSI will support next gen processors with this board. But for the record, you only have to plug in a single 8-pin for your CPU to work flawlessly.

yeah thanks, not the end of the world if they dont support next gen as i wouldnt upgrade for another 2 or 3 probably. I still need to work on upgrading from a 1060 for 1440p

1 minute ago, Cupar19 said:

yeah thanks, not the end of the world if they dont support next gen as i wouldnt upgrade for another 2 or 3 probably. I still need to work on upgrading from a 1060 for 1440p

Right now the 5700XT or RTX 2070 Super will be your best bets. But the new GPUs are rolling out in the next 3-4 months.

Right now the 5700XT or RTX 2070 Super will be your best bets. But the new GPUs are rolling out in the next 3-4 months.

yeah i know, any significant upgrade is quite expensive so most likely wouldn't happen till end of the year / start of next . Thanks 

Just now, Cupar19 said:

yeah i know, any significant upgrade is quite expensive so most likely wouldn't happen till end of the year / start of next . Thanks 

Happy to help! :D

15 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

No you don't.

It's only for heavy overclocking 

A single 8 pin eps can provide up to 384 watts 

Which you won't reach any time soon

Edit, why x470 

Get a b550 strix f or a aorus pro or s tomahawk max or a mortar 

Heck even a b450 tomahawk max will do

Didn't see your edit sorry. The reason is the price it was compared to the feature of the other boards that were more expensive. it was about £100

1 minute ago, Cupar19 said:

it was about £100

Is it used or something ? 

Or is it brand new ? I mean if it's new and it's that cheap I guess it won't hurt it's just that if it was more expensive 

Considering x470 only brings sli to the table compared to b series boards and is usually more expensive, that's why it a dead platform 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

1 minute ago, TofuHaroto said:

Is it used or something ? 

Or is it brand new ? I mean if it's new and it's that cheap I guess it won't hurt it's just that if it was more expensive 

Considering x470 only brings sli to the table compared to b series boards and is usually more expensive, that's why it a dead platform 

fair enough, no it was used but considering it has inbuilt wifi which i wanted it was cheaper by quite a bit than other boards. Besides i dont plan on upgrading the cpu for 2 or 3 generations so doesnt matter to me if its a dead platform tbh