Best Desks for Dual Monitor Mounts?

coneil3822

I have an IKEA desk with a dual monitor mount clamped onto it but the mount has bent the surface top so the monitor mount bends forward. Any sturdy desk anyone could recommend? Thanks

There's so many options. It's hard for someone else to pick. 

Things that need to be considered are..

Build material 

Build quality

Aesthetics

Size

Height of the desk.

Shape

How it fits the space you are putting it in.

Edit:

Load weight 

If it can handle clamps 

How you want things displayed on the desk

6 minutes ago, coneil3822 said:

I have an IKEA desk with a dual monitor mount clamped onto it but the mount has bent the surface top so the monitor mount bends forward. Any sturdy desk anyone could recommend? Thanks

Yeah ikeas desks are known for that, if you try to attach a cable gutter for example, no need to even turn the screws, you can litteraly push them into the buttery soft tops.

But i think a more elegant solution is getting a dual monitor wallmount and not rely on the desk; makes for a cleaner look and easier cleaning too. Much moremeasy to movemas well than a desk weighing a ton.

19 minutes ago, coneil3822 said:

Well I have a negative view about IKEA anything. But anyhow it fall on preference really. Good solid wood desk will work, pressed wood desks dont last.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

It all about getting a desk that fit your needed and wants(if you can afford it.

I found myself a 1500$ executive desk for 40$ as somebody was going to throw it out. It fit both my GF's and I's setup along works with our room. 20200628_144126.thumb.jpg.41cf99965e47fb9f1e08f16856a1a382.jpg

20200628_144112.jpg

20200628_144029.jpg

The point is without more info from the OP we cant give good advice.

Sorry for my poor picture taking skillz

Idea; get a 3 to 5 mm thick aluminum plate, about 50cm length, 20cm wide, bend the long side, 5cm; 90 degrees

costs very little and will hold the monitor clamp/stand a lot better

6 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

Well I have a negative view about IKEA anything. But anyhow it fall on preference really. Good solid wood desk will work, pressed wood desks dont last.

That's pretty much IKEA brand stuff. It just gets the job done and don't expect it to be made from quality materials. I was considering an IKEA desk a while back but I went with building my own desk if your capable of doing it yourself. Perhaps finding a decently used desk from CL or Facebook marketplace? I built my own as nothing out there met my expectations.

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

2 hours ago, SansVarnic said:

Good solid wood desk will work, pressed wood desks dont last.

I have a pressed wood desk and have given it a very subtle reverse bow so overtime it will straighten out as opposed to sagging. But i eventually plan to replace the top with solid wood. The rest of it is solid enough. 

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

2 hours ago, narrdarr said:

It all about getting a desk that fit your needed and wants(if you can afford it.

I found myself a 1500$ executive desk for 40$ as somebody was going to throw it out. It fit both my GF's and I's setup along works with our room. 

The point is without more info from the OP we cant give good advice.

Sorry for my poor picture taking skillz

How many times a week do you smash your knee on that centre?

I have two on either side, and got to be at least once a month I knock my knee on it.

I just bought an Oako desk, sit stand, made in Denmark.  I will let you know whether it is any good when it arrives in about another 2 weeks...

1 hour ago, Dravinian said:

How many times a week do you smash your knee on that centre?

I have two on either side, and got to be at least once a month I knock my knee on it.

I just bought an Oako desk, sit stand, made in Denmark.  I will let you know whether it is any good when it arrives in about another 2 weeks...

i have never hit my knees. Technically my desk would have the drawers on either side, but both of the whole drawer cabinets are remove. I took one out and moved the other into the middle. The one i took is off to the side and has the printer on it.

-> Moved to Off Topic

Depends bit on how heavy monitors are and what kind of stand is used. But overall I'd say have bit thicker surface and bolt it to legs. If you can tip it easily just by lifting, thats bad sign.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

I agree with @Moggy -- you don't need to buy a whole new desk, provided the general structure of the desk isn't destabilized by the monitor mount.  Just put some reinforcing material on the clamp that will spread the load out.  

Alternatively, I'd recommend some newer monitors before I got a new desk: I used to have some 10 year old 27" monitors and they weighed like 15-20lbs a piece.  That put some stress on my desk and monitor mount.  I finally upgraded to some newer models and the total package now weighs under 15lbs.  If you have really old monitors that are thick and heavy, upgrading them may be all you need to do to relieve desk stress!

#Muricaparrotgang

Folding@Home Stats | Current PC Loadout:

Small                        Bigger				Biggerer				Biggest
Fractal Design Focus G       NZXT H1				Lian LI O11 Dynamic XL			Fractal Design Meshify C
FX-8320                      Ryzen 3 3200G			Ryzen 5 3600				Ryzen 7 3700X
120mm AIO                    120mm AIO				Custom 280mm loop			Noctua NH-D15
A motherboard                ASRock B450 mobo			MSI x570 mobo				MSI x570 mobo
16gb DDR3                    16gb DDR4 @ 3200			16gb DDR4 @ 3200			16gb DDR4 @ 3600
a melange of HDDs/SSDs       WD 1tb m.2				WD 500gb m.2				WD 1tb m.2/2tb HDD
PNY GTX 1070 x2              GTX 1070				GTX 1070 FE				MSI RTX 2080 TI
some 650w PSU                650W SFX-L 80+ Gold		MSI RTX 2080 Super			EVGA SuperNova 750w 80+ GOLD 
								Corsair RM850x 80+ GOLD

IME it's always better to wall mount monitors than use a desk. When they're anchored to solid brickwork they're liable to be much more stable, it also frees up a massive amount of desk real estate.

Of course there are instances where this isn't possible but try not to make one of them setting up your desk directly in front I a window like the pictures above, especially if you also work/do school/university work at your computer. It actually has a huge impact on productivity.

[ P R O J E C T _ M E L L I F E R A ]

[ 5900X @4.7GHz PBO2 | X570S Aorus Pro | 32GB GSkill Trident Z 3600MHz CL16 | EK-Quantum Reflection ]
[ ASUS RTX4080 TUF OC @3000MHz | O11D-XL | HardwareLabs GTS and GTX 360mm | XSPC D5 SATA ]

[ TechN / Phanteks G40 Blocks | Corsair AX750 | ROG Swift PG279Q | Q-Acoustics 2010i | Sabaj A4 ]

P R O J E C T | S A N D W A S P

6900K | RTX2080 | 32GB DDR4-3000 | Custom Loop 

On 6/28/2020 at 2:49 PM, SansVarnic said:

Ikea is great, because it's so shit, or just decent enough, that you don't care about fucking it up. Every time I look at room setups it's always someone drilling holes in Ikea desks, and I'm not drilling holes through my solid maple top.

#Muricaparrotgang

On 6/28/2020 at 5:26 PM, coneil3822 said:

Its pretty much highly suggested that if your going to use a monitor clamps with Ikea you buy a counter top instead of one of their desk tops. Because the desk tops are generally not solid wood, they are made out of particle board and not strong at all. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.