Streaming a webcam on integrated graphics?

Hi all,

Long time, no see! Sorry, life got pretty busy. Anyway, I was asked by my pastor for recommendations for a streaming computer for their services, as their current system (approximately 10 years old) is not cutting it anymore.

I need to recommend a prebuilt, as I won't be around to support this system come fall, due to college. They want to stay under $1000 if possible.

If they are simply single streaming at 1080p (30fps), will an i5 9500 (/UHD 630) cut it? I'll be recommending h264 fast, and 16 GB RAM, because I want this computer to last, but I just wanted to run it by you all before I made a permanent decision.

Thanks!

As #muricaparrotgang's founder, I invite you to join our ranks today.

"My name is Legion 'Murica Parrot Gang, for we are many."

(We actually welcome all forms of animated parrot gifs.)

The artist formerly known as Aelar_Nailo.

Profile Pic designed by the very lovely @Red :)!

wait a few weeks for AMD APU based systems to be out. those should have more than enough power if they end up doing more on it

16gb of ram and I'd use the hardware h.264/265 not software

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

A run of the mill laptop would do them better (with an 8th gen i5 or better). Portability is probably important, who wants to be carting round a massive desktop around a church and having a mega setup each time.

Just think, when you're gone, they're gonna have to do everything themselves, if you give them something that's all in one unit it would do them better.

As a reserve, make sure you get something from a store with a really good returns policy and a warranty. Who knows what it's gonna be like in 10 years' time.

24 minutes ago, Mug said:

A run of the mill laptop would do them better (with an 8th gen i5 or better). Portability is probably important, who wants to be carting round a massive desktop around a church and having a mega setup each time.

Just think, when you're gone, they're gonna have to do everything themselves, if you give them something that's all in one unit it would do them better.

As a reserve, make sure you get something from a store with a really good returns policy and a warranty. Who knows what it's gonna be like in 10 years' time.

no a laptop isn't the answer here nor is an all in one.

costco or get it direct from a manufacture with a 3 year warranty;

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

1 minute ago, GDRRiley said:

no a laptop isn't the answer here nor is an all in one.

costco or get it direct from a manufacture with a 3 year warranty;

I'd say a laptop is absolutely the answer here. This is going to be used by someone with minimal to zero computer know-how. The fewer parts the better for applications like these, and streaming an unaltered webcam is easy for a modern computer, so more horsepower isn't necessary.

Perhaps add in a higher quality webcam from Logitech or similar, since the ones on laptops generally are only barely passable.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

4 minutes ago, Mug said:

That's a good point: I'll have to talk to them about it. Currently they have the larger church "AV booth" setup, so its relatively permanent, but they may want that flexibility.

And definitely agree on the return policy.

Just now, BobVonBob said:

I'd say a laptop is absolutely the answer here. This is going to be used by someone with minimal to zero computer know-how. The fewer parts the better for applications like these, and streaming an unaltered webcam is easy for a modern computer, so more horsepower isn't necessary.

Perhaps add in a higher quality webcam from Logitech or similar, since the ones on laptops generally are only barely passable.

I need to clarify: They have an existing streaming setup, with a dedicated camera, that they will be using.

This is for broadcasting a full service, across an auditorium with a few people in it (our state is allowing churches to meet in person).

And they have a fair amount of AV know-how, all they need is the initial setup. If I make it look exactly like what they have been using, they should be fine.

5 minutes ago, BobVonBob said:

its not for sitting at home. its going to be set up next to the rest of the AV gear and never moved. Why would you stream from a webcam based on waht he is saying.

this is not a webcam use. get a camcorder so you can feed it wall power and an HDMI/SDI capture card from someone like blackmagic or epiphan.

maybe a blackmagic ATEM Mini pro

1 minute ago, FakeNSA said:

I need to clarify: They have an existing streaming setup, with a dedicated camera, that they will be using.

This is for broadcasting a full service, across an auditorium with a few people in it (our state is allowing churches to meet in person).

And they have a fair amount of AV know-how, all they need is the initial setup. If I make it look exactly like what they have been using, they should be fine.

Well in that case yeah, just about any desktop box will work fine. I was thinking along the lines of a first time streaming pastor, something like what I had to set up for a great-uncle a few months back.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

3 minutes ago, GDRRiley said:

its not for sitting at home. its going to be set up next to the rest of the AV gear and never moved. Why would you stream from a webcam based on waht he is saying.

this is not a webcam use. get a camcorder so you can feed it wall power and an HDMI/SDI capture card from someone like blackmagic or epiphan.

maybe a blackmagic ATEM Mini pro

I misunderstood the situation this was being used in, my bad.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Laptop:

Just now, BobVonBob said:

I misunderstood the situation this was being used in, my bad.

It happens.
Thanks for the help!

13 minutes ago, FakeNSA said:

It happens.
Thanks for the help!

maybe look at black magics ATM line of swtiches the mini pro can stream straight from it

1 hour ago, FakeNSA said:

Hi all,

Long time, no see! Sorry, life got pretty busy. Anyway, I was asked by my pastor for recommendations for a streaming computer for their services, as their current system (approximately 10 years old) is not cutting it anymore.

I need to recommend a prebuilt, as I won't be around to support this system come fall, due to college. They want to stay under $1000 if possible.

If they are simply single streaming at 1080p (30fps), will an i5 9500 (/UHD 630) cut it? I'll be recommending h264 fast, and 16 GB RAM, because I want this computer to last, but I just wanted to run it by you all before I made a permanent decision.

Thanks!

Any other peculiarities here? Audio and video equipment? Plans for future expansions as well? I’d assume that in the future, they will probably want to move to 4K. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

3 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Any other peculiarities here? Audio and video equipment? Plans for future expansions as well? I’d assume that in the future, they will probably want to move to 4K. 

They have a dedicated audio system, and I need to have a sitdown with them, probably next weekend, asking how it all goes together.

As for 4k..... I live in a pretty small town in northern Arizona. Most of their viewers will be lucky to watch at 720p.... I don't really see that happening. But I'll ask about that as well.

Future expansion is also probably pretty minimal: They are trying to spend as little money as possible, but they want to be able to stream effectively to those who are unable to attend in person.

Thanks for looking in!