Should user posts be shown underneath a persons profile picture?

I feel that post farming would be less of a problem if post count wasn't so prevalent, and people would be more likely to post only when they have knowledge/input to contribute. I'm not saying I am not guilty of wanting to gain posts, it is precisely why I think it may be a problem. Other's might feel differently, and their are definitely positives (such as seeing what members are active on the forum.) Oh, and I think showing post count when you visit someone's profile would be a good compromise.

CPU: Intel i5 3570k @ 4.5 Ghz Cooler: Hyper 212+ GPU: MSI Twin Frozr 3 7850 Case: HAF 912 RAM: 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: OCZ Modxstream 600W Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-LK HDD: 1TB Seagate Barracuda

I want all the posts!

also, why is this up for debate?

CM Storm Switch Tester MOD (In-Progress) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/409147-cm-storm-switch-tester-macro-mod/

Ammo Can Speaker 02 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/283826-ammo-can-speakers-02/       A/B Switch V 0.5 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/362417-ab-switch-v0

Build 01 - The Life of a Prodigy -  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/13103-build-01-the-life-of-a-prodigy/             Build 02 - Silent Server 3000 - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/116670-build-02-silent-server-3000/

I wasn't really aware it was a major issue. There aren't really any big rewards to be reaped from having a high post count on this forum anyway...

CPU: 5930K @ 4.5GHz | GPU: Zotac GTX 980Ti AMP! Extreme edition @ 1503MHz/7400MHz | RAM: 16GB Corsair Dom Plat @ 2667MHz CAS 13 | Motherboard: Asus X99 Sabertooth | Boot Drive: 400GB Intel 750 Series NVMe SSD | PSU: Corsair HX1000i | Monitor: Dell U2713HM 1440p monitor

It is kind of just a standard for every forum. In my opinion you can usually judge the credibility of the person based on their post count and the way the type. I'm more prone to listen to what someone says without research if they have 1000+ posts and what they say makes sense. If someone with 70 posts said the same thing I would look it up. I think it is fine how it is, if it changed it wouldn't stop spamming for posts because the user would still know how many they had.

My Rig :  Case: Cooler Master HAF X ,Motherboard: Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H,PSU: Seasonic SS-750KM3,Processor: Core I7 4770k (overclocked 4.7ghz),Cooler: Corsair H100i, GPU: EVGA GTX 780 with acx cooler, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 16gb DDR3 1600 (overclocked to 2000mhz), HDDS  Samsung 840 EVO 250 gb SSD , Western digital  2tb 7200 rpm 64mb cache, Old 1tb laptop drive I had , 320gb for os backup daily, 80gb external for weekly backups,Drives 2x Lg Blu Ray burner WH16MS40,MISC: Tp-Link dual band wireless card, Logitech g510s, Razer Deathadder 2013, Acer G236HLBbd 23" monitor, Old tv I had 23" for secondary monitor, old 32" samsung tv third monitor

Don't really care about it being displayed for everyone to see. Though, I would like to at least see it privately in my profile somewhere. It's interesting to see like a year or 2 later how active you had been/contributed to a forum.

But for the most part I feel the same way as this:

I am not bothered either way, if someone thinks they are better than another cause they have a higher post count more fool them...

Twitch | Twitter | PC specs [on Twitch page]

Dont care is how I voted. Post count doesnt make you any better or less than the next person. Some people do need to get up and walk around a bit, don't want to get a case of the hemroids.

Farming post counts? That's a first.

Post counts is an important part of in knowing who is new, and who is not, making the forum more friendly. And it also allows to detect spammer and trollers more easily.

In addition, it could help at estimating the level of knowledge a person as, to adjust my post.

It's a difference between:

Go to the Pointer tab under Mouse panel to change the mouse pointer.

and

Open Control Panel by right-clicking on the Start Screen button at the bottom left corner of the screen, and selecting: Control Panel. Then, at the upper right corner of the window, you will notice "View by:" set it to "small icon" or "large icon" just so that we are on the same page in terms of navigation. You do this by clicking on the "Category" blue text, and you'll have the choice.

Then click on "Mouse". From where you will find the "Pointer" tab, on the panel that will open. From there, you can select the pointer you want want to change, then click on teh browse button and select the pointer you want to change it to. Once done click OK.

So for me, it is very important.

Farming post counts? That's a first.

Post counts is an important part of in knowing who is new, and who is not, making the forum more friendly. And it also allows to detect spammer and trollers more easily.

In addition, it could help at estimating the level of knowledge a person as, to adjust my post.

It's a difference between:

and

So for me, it is very important.

My though's exactly.... don't like it just disable it on your end. 

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

~IMHO~

What makes a good forum member? Someone who takes time out of their day to make meaningful discussion and help people on the forum. I don't feel that "post count" is a truly proper way to show that.

A lot of outside users who are not familiar with the forum see this as "He has a high post count he must know his stuff"

I personally like quality over quantity. And I often find that some [few] people on my forum (shameless plug for TekSyndicate) have a high post count but attribute 1 word answers and responses to threads. (kinda like post whoring).

And yes, sometimes it can be a dick measuring contest between members or friends to see who has more.

What i'm saying is most of the time post count is a good thing as it can show how much time people have put into the forum and how long they have been around. but it may not be a true representation of what they've done.

I think I'm taking this too serious. *insert joker here*

TekSyndicate Forum Moderator: https://forum.teksyndicate.com/users/njm1112

5930K@4.3Ghz | 16GB 4x4 2133Mhz | r9-290 | 6TB Raid5 | 250GB 850Evo | 8.1pro | RM750

Honestly, I haven't really seen that many people on LTT post farm...

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

~IMHO~

What makes a good forum member? Someone who takes time out of their day to make meaningful discussion and help people on the forum. I don't feel that "post count" is a truly proper way to show that.

A lot of outside users who are not familiar with the forum see this as "He has a high post count he must know his stuff"

I personally like quality over quantity. And I often find that some [few] people on my forum (shameless plug for TekSyndicate) have a high post count but attribute 1 word answers and responses to threads. (kinda like post whoring).

And yes, sometimes it can be a dick measuring contest between members or friends to see who has more.

What i'm saying is most of the time post count is a good thing as it can show how much time people have put into the forum and how long they have been around. but it may not be a true representation of what they've done.

I think I'm taking this too serious. *insert joker here*

That is why the forum has a badge system.

I did my best to get it, and continue to work to keep it. I like helping people the best I can.

Helping in forum, has helped me explain rather complicated things, in a simple mater. Sometimes it's not fully correct due to simplification process, but the general idea is there, and the important bits are there as well. This also allowed me to express my ideas better, and improve my English (second language).

So I do get a lot back from helping people.

That is why the forum has a badge system.

I did my best to get it, and continue to work to keep it. I like helping people the best I can.

Helping in forum, has helped me explain rather complicated things, in a simple mater. Sometimes it's not fully correct due to simplification process, but the general idea is there, and the important bits are there as well. This also allowed me to express my ideas better, and improve my English (second language).

So I do get a lot back from helping people.

And i agree completely. The badge system seems to work well because you can't really "post whore" that. but it may (I really doubt it) make some users think that they're better than others.

English is your second language? You're doing really well! i wouldn't of been able to tell until you pointed it out. What are you native in?

English is my main language but i'm on my 3rd year of German.

That post didn't contribute at all, you're doing it...

Irony is soooo meta right now you don't even know :P

TekSyndicate Forum Moderator: https://forum.teksyndicate.com/users/njm1112

5930K@4.3Ghz | 16GB 4x4 2133Mhz | r9-290 | 6TB Raid5 | 250GB 850Evo | 8.1pro | RM750

That post didn't contribute at all, you're doing it...

Okay... And yours contributed a lot. But honestly, I have not seen that many people on here post farm whatsoever. And not only that, it's good to have a post count shown, because chances are, that person knows what they're talking about. And face it, you're more likely to use information with a butt-ton of post, like myself, than a person who is brand new to the forums, and only has a couple of posts. I know this is true, since when I was new, people seemed to skim over what I said and they took it with a grain of salt. Now that I have more posts (and am fairly well known on here), people tend to take me seriously, and use what I say more often.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

English is your second language? You're doing really well! i wouldn't of been able to tell until you pointed it out. What are you native in?

English is my main language but i'm on my 3rd year of German.

Thanks! :) It used to be awful, when I started participating in forums years ago.

French is my first language. While I am Canadian, I am in Quebec, with laws that forces everyone to French schools pretty much. The government under funds completely English schools, and put heavy restrictions for people to be allowed in, and even if you can, you have to pay significantly higher amount for your education.

Quebec feels that they are loosing their culture and identity. So that is why.

In results, while they are English class in schools, they don't cover English grammar, unless the teacher him or herself is knowledgeable and choose to teach that, but usually schools limits that kind of "advance" teaching, to advance English class which are usually very limited in size. How do you expect to improve my English, if my exams are this level for my last English class at high-school: "A white cat crosses the street. What is the color of the cat? Please answer in 1 word. The answer starts with w."

Thanks! :) It used to be awful, when I started participating in forums year ago.

French is my first language. While I am Canadian, I am in Quebec, with laws that forces everyone to French schools pretty much. The government under funds completely English schools, and put heavy restrictions for people to be allowed in, and even if you can, you have to pay significantly higher amount for your education.

Quebec feels that they are loosing their culture and identity. So that is why.

In results, while they are English class in schools, they don't cover English grammar, unless the teacher him or herself is knowledgeable and choose to teach that, but usually schools limits that kind of "advance" teaching, to advance English class which are usually very limited in size. How do you expect to improve my English, if my exams are this level for my last English class at high-school: "A white cat crosses the street. What is the color of the cat? Please answer in 1 word. The answer starts with w."

That's terrible.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Spoiler

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

I'd prefer a valid word count (real words) and average words per post count instead.

Maybe a ratio of post to likes and answers or some kind of referral counter.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

Okay... And yours contributed a lot.

I knew about mine, that was the point of it. Yep my humour goes that far  B)  :P

But seriously I've seen it on other forums. It's a legitimate question but personally, I don't seem to be bothered by posts whores here.

I find no problem with the current system. But what I do like to see is only the posts that get likes. That way we can easily know whether this guy is experienced with helping other or just a farmer.

But isn't this way is used by every other forums? Why should we change it?

I find no problem with the current system. But what I do like to see is only the posts that get likes. That way we can easily know whether this guy is experienced with helping other or just a farmer.

But isn't this way is used by every other forums? Why should we change it?

Popular doesn't always mean best for an environment. Also, if it has happened to other forums, it could happen to this one.

I knew about mine, that was the point of it. Yep my humour goes that far B) :P

But seriously I've seen it on other forums. It's a legitimate question but personally, I don't seem to be bothered by posts whores here.

Yeah, but as the forum grows, who knows. I would agree for the most part about farming though. Well, until I see my next ridiculous comment xD.

CPU: Intel i5 3570k @ 4.5 Ghz Cooler: Hyper 212+ GPU: MSI Twin Frozr 3 7850 Case: HAF 912 RAM: 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: OCZ Modxstream 600W Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-LK HDD: 1TB Seagate Barracuda

And is post farming an issue? Unless you count small sarcastic/funny remarks, i haven't come across to much of it.  plus, the more posts someone has, usually the more educated/better helpers they are

Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof.

As I get older I get angrier more cynical, meaner. I feel some warning posts coming. I feel a ban coming. I was warned.

CPU-i5 2400 GPU-Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 OC Mobo-H67MA-D2H-B3 Ram-G.Skill Ripjaws 8gb 1333mhz Case-Fractal Define R4 PSU-Corsair CX750 Storage-Samsung EVO 250gb, 1tb WD Black,Hitachi 1tb Other stuff-Corsair K90, M90 Cooling-3x 140mm Fractal fans Sound-Sennheiser HD438 headphones

I'm not sure if you guys think this is a good idea but some forums like Toms Hardware, users can get badges under their profile pictures that says Audio Expert or Motherboard Expert. They get these if they have a certain amount of post in a particular section. What do you think?

Current system is fine

Like E-Sports? Check out the E-Sports forum for competitive click click pew pew

Like Anime? Check out Heaven Society the forums local Anime club

I was only living because it was too much trouble to die.

R9 7950x | RTX4090