too much power for my breaker box to handle?

Jstagzsr
1 minute ago, SuperCloneRanger said:

It's definitely the advisable thing to do, You can use the old one on your kids system. Just remember to keep them on separate circuits till you get an electrician to upgrade your wiring.

yeah thats exactly the plan. old ups to the kid, and i gotta find a new layout for the living room to accomodate both our PC's.. my desk is right next to the entertainment center and he uses the living room tv for a monitor. he might need to take a downgrade to a regular monitor if i cant find a way to get his pc (or mine) on a different breaker. I'll figure it out.

Thanks for the reply though man. much appreciated.

4 minutes ago, Jstagzsr said:

he might need to take a downgrade to a regular monitor if i cant find a way to get his pc (or mine) on a different breaker.

No worries, happy to help. Unfortunately i don't think you will save much reducing his display size, dropping from 50" to 24-27" will save maybe 150w . You really should try to get them on different circuits, especially now you plan on running 2 UPS's. 

46 minutes ago, Jstagzsr said:

yeah thats exactly the plan. old ups to the kid, and i gotta find a new layout for the living room to accomodate both our PC's.. my desk is right next to the entertainment center and he uses the living room tv for a monitor. he might need to take a downgrade to a regular monitor if i cant find a way to get his pc (or mine) on a different breaker. I'll figure it out.

Thanks for the reply though man. much appreciated.

27 minutes ago, SuperCloneRanger said:

No worries, happy to help. Unfortunately i don't think you will save much reducing his display size, dropping from 50" to 24-27" will save maybe 150w . You really should try to get them on different circuits, especially now you plan on running 2 UPS's. 

My 55 inch 4K TV consumes 34 watts. Switching to a monitor may save you 15 watts or so.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

13 minutes ago, Vitamanic said:

My 55 inch 4K TV consumes 34 watts. Switching to a monitor may save you 15 watts or so.

I knew the difference was small but wasn't sure on the specifics so i google 'tv power usage', should of looked at the date of the info, its from 2009.

https://michaelbluejay.com/electricity/tv.html#:~:text=How%20much%20electricity%20does%20my%20television%20use%3F,that's%20%241.83%20to%20%249.13%2Fmo.

But 34w is silly, it only applies to the eco mode that every one turns off. I looked up a 50" 2020 samsung, it has typical usage 92w and peak usage of 130w. given op's display is 1080p i'd wager its closer to 2009 than 2020. prob in the 180w+ range. 34w lol. i'll stick with my numbers thanks.

12 hours ago, Jstagzsr said:

In the meantime though im glad im not in any serious risk of ruining anything

Yeah, does sound like you're just asking a little too much from a single 15A or 20A circuit at 120VAC. An extension as suggested by @SuperCloneRanger is probably the best immediate solution as it will take load of that specific circuit. Do keep in mind that some devices (HDDs, some SSDs and others) do not like sudden power loss. 

13 hours ago, Caroline said:

The english had a ring topology for their wires and that's why they added fuses to each plug, but the americans have different wiring that involves a breaker box.

From my understanding, there used to be a copper shortage (long ago) so it made sense to have the ring circuit as it minimised copper usage. We still use the ring topology but also a breaker box alongside it. Typically 1 or 2 6A breaker is used for lights, 15/16A or 30A/32A breakers for the socket ring circuits (my house is 32A for kitchen sockets, 32A for upstairs sockets and 16A for downstairs sockets not in the kitchen) and there will typically also be breakers for things like: smoke/heat alarms, cooker (typical cookers in my part of the UK is gas hobs with electric ovens), fixed electric heaters (whether hot water or heating) ect. There is also RCDs protecting everything (basically GFCIs but trips at 30mA instead of 5mA) whilst fuses in plugs protects individual devices as 30/32A@240VAC takes a lot to trip after all. 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

You might not really have to buy anything.

It sounds like you just have too much stuff plugged into a 15A circuit and its tripping the breaker.

I know you can't likely get new a new circuit put in since it's an apartment.

The breaker tripping is what it is supposed to do to keep you safe.

Just get a night lite and plug it into the receptacles one at a time after you've turned the breaker off.

That will easily let you know which receptacles are on that circuit. 

Then move some of your stuff to different receptacles that are on another circuit.

I'm not surprised it is blowing the circuit. All your pc stuff, other electronics plus monitors not to mention what ever household stuff you got running at the same time is probably more then a 15A circuit can handle.

Dude it sounds like you got enough stuff to start your own TV station. 😄

I'm so jealous. 😁

2 hours ago, Intergalacticbits said:

You might not really have to buy anything.

It sounds like you just have too much stuff plugged into a 15A circuit and its tripping the breaker.

I know you can't likely get new a new circuit put in since it's an apartment.

The breaker tripping is what it is supposed to do to keep you safe.

Just get a night lite and plug it into the receptacles one at a time after you've turned the breaker off.

That will easily let you know which receptacles are on that circuit. 

Then move some of your stuff to different receptacles that are on another circuit.

I'm not surprised it is blowing the circuit. All your pc stuff, other electronics plus monitors not to mention what ever household stuff you got running at the same time is probably more then a 15A circuit can handle.

Dude it sounds like you got enough stuff to start your own TV station. 😄

I'm so jealous. 😁

Hahaha. Yeah just about. Lol. Electronics are my sh!t.. some people invest in houses or cars or boats.. I buy electronics. Lol

(Hence the probably 30 grand in toys in my living room while living in a studio apartment) lmao