EDIT: put a new cooler in, correct airflow?)Cpu reached up to 80 C while downloading game

Cellular63

I have a recently finished a build with a Ryzen 5 3600 w/ stock cooler and I have 4 fans and I think it’s good airflow but my cpu doesn’t say. When playing csgo it’s around 60-70 degrees and when playing GTA 5 it runs around 70-80. Also my fans are facing the right way. The left fan is pushing air, same as the side fan, top fans blowing out air. Does anybody know? (Edit: CSGO reaches up 79 degrees max and GTA 5 reaches up to 83)

EDIT : Ok guys I now have my hyper 212 and installed it, temps are amazing and over 20 degrees cooler, also one of you said to flip my back fan which I did but I had to lower my side fan so I was wondering if this airflow is ok and if there’s anything I can improve on 

14568094-26EF-4415-AD4B-C5D267101D43.jpeg

image.jpg

Use Ryzen Master to track thermals. Other applications are broken.

Also, make sure the BIOS is updated, the chipset driver is the latest one and that the stock cooler mount is good. Lastly, set the CPU fan speed to performance, not silence

Those temps are completely fine, especially for a stock cooler. Downloading games is more demanding on the CPU than you would think, and reaching 80C is completely fine. The only time you should be concerned about temps is if your CPU is reaching the 90C-95C range, or if things are slowing down because of heat. 

Main PC:

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X • Noctua NH-D15 • MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk • 2x8GB G.skill Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CL16 • MSI VENTUS 3X GeForce RTX 3070 OC • Samsung 970 Evo 1TB • Samsung 860 Evo 1TB • Cosair iCUE 465X RGB • Corsair RMx 750W (White)

Peripherals/Other:

ASUS VG27AQ • G PRO K/DA • G502 Hero K/DA • G733 K/DA • G840 K/DA • Oculus Quest 2 • Nintendo Switch (Rev. 2)

Laptop (Dell XPS 13):

Intel Core i7-1195G7 • Intel Iris Xe Graphics • 16GB LPDDR4x 4267MHz • 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD • 13.4" OLED 3.5K InfinityEdge Display (3456x2160, 400nit, touch). 

Got any questions about my system or peripherals? Feel free to tag me (@bellabichon) and I'll be happy to give you my two cents. 

PSA: Posting a PCPartPicker list with no explanation isn't helpful for first-time builders :)

Did you use real thermal paste or the crap already on the cooler?

What fan profile is set in BIOS?

Stock or OC?

Have you updated to the lates BIOS?

Please be aware that the wraith stealth cooler is a minimum required cooler for that chip, personally, I think it should have included the spire, but thats just me. 

Also, 70-80 isn't terrible, could be better but that's the game you play when you use the stock cooler.

Finally, cheap what voltage your board is giving the CPU, if it is an older BIOS version it could be giving it more than it needs and thus leading to higher temps. 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

9 minutes ago, bellabichon said:

Those temps are completely fine, especially for a stock cooler. Downloading games is more demanding on the CPU than you would think, and reaching 80C is completely fine. The only time you should be concerned about temps is if your CPU is reaching the 90C-95C range, or if things are slowing down because of heat. 

My ryzen 3800x reaches 95 degrees in 10 minutes when i do the "prime 95 small fft" test ( maybe higher if i dont stop it at 95 degrees) .  but it never over heats while i play the games i play. Although my computer would never be under those type of loads ( i dont think) should i be worried that my CPU gets that hot in 10 minutes?  Untitled.thumb.png.a1745b99e5ad3d673db6902e0cd1b6e6.png

5 minutes ago, mahrama said:

My ryzen 3800x reaches 95 degrees in 10 minutes when i do the "prime 95 small fft" test ( maybe higher if i dont stop it at 95 degrees) .  but it never over heats while i play the games i play. Although my computer would never be under those type of loads ( i dont think) should i be worried that my CPU gets that hot in 10 minutes?  Untitled.thumb.png.a1745b99e5ad3d673db6902e0cd1b6e6.png

I'm not super familiar with the benchmark you're talking about, but 95C under any workload is far from ideal. What kind of cooling solution do you have set up?

Main PC:

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X • Noctua NH-D15 • MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk • 2x8GB G.skill Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CL16 • MSI VENTUS 3X GeForce RTX 3070 OC • Samsung 970 Evo 1TB • Samsung 860 Evo 1TB • Cosair iCUE 465X RGB • Corsair RMx 750W (White)

Peripherals/Other:

ASUS VG27AQ • G PRO K/DA • G502 Hero K/DA • G733 K/DA • G840 K/DA • Oculus Quest 2 • Nintendo Switch (Rev. 2)

Laptop (Dell XPS 13):

Intel Core i7-1195G7 • Intel Iris Xe Graphics • 16GB LPDDR4x 4267MHz • 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD • 13.4" OLED 3.5K InfinityEdge Display (3456x2160, 400nit, touch). 

Got any questions about my system or peripherals? Feel free to tag me (@bellabichon) and I'll be happy to give you my two cents. 

PSA: Posting a PCPartPicker list with no explanation isn't helpful for first-time builders :)

38 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

Also, make sure the BIOS is updated, the chipset driver is the latest one and that the stock cooler mount is good. Lastly, set the CPU fan speed to performance, not silence

I’ll keep that to note because I do notice Ryzen masters temps are about 15-20 degrees lower 

36 minutes ago, GOTSpectrum said:

Did you use real thermal paste or the crap already on the cooler?

What fan profile is set in BIOS?

Stock or OC?

Have you updated to the lates BIOS?

Please be aware that the wraith stealth cooler is a minimum required cooler for that chip, personally, I think it should have included the spire, but thats just me. 

Also, 70-80 isn't terrible, could be better but that's the game you play when you use the stock cooler.

Finally, cheap what voltage your board is giving the CPU, if it is an older BIOS version it could be giving it more than it needs and thus leading to higher temps. 

I set the fan to full speed since I don’t care about noise my case fans are already pretty loud. I applied Corsairs TM30 thermal paste, it is stock I haven’t touched any of the cpus settings ever since I set up the pc, I am not sure if I have updated to the latest bios , I am running the b450 tomahawk max, I’m not running the latest bios I will try updating it and see if that helps and finnaly the core voltage runs around 1.378-1.41 when in bios. 

48 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

It’s on full speed and I updated to the latest chipset but I’m going to try updating the bios and see if that helps 

1 minute ago, Cellular63 said:

I set the fan to full speed since I don’t care about noise my case fans are already pretty loud. I applied Corsairs TM30 thermal paste, it is stock I haven’t touched any of the cpus settings ever since I set up the pc, I am not sure if I have updated to the latest bios , I am running the b450 tomahawk max, I’m not running the latest bios I will try updating it and see if that helps and finnaly the core voltage runs around 1.378-1.41 when in bios. 

You can drop your CPU voltage down to about 1.3v, you may see a little performance loss when hitting it with all cores at 100% load but will keep temps in check.

My best advice for you here though is to just buy a cooler if the temps are bothering you that much. A CoolerMaster 212 Evo is cheap enough for most people and gets the job done. You can go with a better cooler if you like mind you. It all depends on if/how much you can afford to spend. 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

2 hours ago, Cellular63 said:

I’ll keep that to note because I do notice Ryzen masters temps are about 15-20 degrees lower 

That's because it reports real temps. Other applications have issues. Only Ryzen Master and applications that report the same values are legitimate. Other readings are broken

2 hours ago, mahrama said:

Something is very wrong with your cooler mount. 95 is never normal at stock

14 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

Something is very wrong with your cooler mount. 95 is never normal at stock

It's not unexpected for prime95 small fft, now that AMD bothered to put a decent FPU in Zen 2 compared to previous Ryzen. The stock cooler is barely adequate for regular loads. This is a pretty stressful one.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

24 minutes ago, porina said:

It's not unexpected for prime95 small fft, now that AMD bothered to put a decent FPU in Zen 2 compared to previous Ryzen. The stock cooler is barely adequate for regular loads. This is a pretty stressful one.

Outs only gets to about 85 though. He most likely has an anomaly somewhere

85 @ stock is pretty hot. I wouldn't be as ok with that as you guys are.

AMD R9 5900X | Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, T30,TL-C12 Pro
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14 1.5v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1496 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

The stock cooler for the 3600 isnt great, and stock settings run voltages way too high, in my opinion.

Try an OC first. I've found 4.2ghx all core at 1.22V to be stable on both of my 3600s for long term stress tests. You should be able to easily go to 4.2ghz all core at 1.3V. You'll run cooler and faster.  You'll be surprised how far temps drop.

For stock cooler and PBO enabled, 80C while gaming is normal. It seems to be target temp from what I've seen.

I have to ask about how fan config is. Looks like rear fan is set as intake. I would flip that, and use side fan as intake instead.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

I ended up ordering a Hyper 212 BE so after reading all your comments, thank you.

On 5/30/2020 at 1:02 AM, mahrama said:

My ryzen 3800x reaches 95 degrees in 10 minutes when i do the "prime 95 small fft" test ( maybe higher if i dont stop it at 95 degrees) .  but it never over heats while i play the games i play. Although my computer would never be under those type of loads ( i dont think) should i be worried that my CPU gets that hot in 10 minutes?  

P95 is pretty heavy. If what you're doing regularly isn't that intensive, the stock cooler is fine. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.