Apple to Stick With Lightning Over USB-C for 'iPhone 12' Before Going Port-Less Next Year

AshRiver
On 5/27/2020 at 11:17 AM, hishnash said:

I don't think it will be 100% wireless charging i think (like the iPadPro  `smart connector`) they will have a solution for contact based charging. They can remove the port this way and move to 2 or 3 large contacts that line up with the charger using magnets like the iPadPro. The reason i think they will go this way is i dont think they will include a wireless charger in the box, buildign a good one is not cheap.

Not to mention that wireless charger is slower and less efficient than wired. 

I said it before and say again. Look at Apple financial statements. Accessories, is the big money making.

So why they would switch to anything? iPad got USB Type-C because accessories sales related to that port was very low, and Apple was trying to convince the iPad is a computer you can use. Possibly a reply to the Surface line as well.

As for going wireless, you can bet Apple will make its own protocol.

7 hours ago, Brooksie359 said:

To be fair if you just the dongle on the end of your headphones cord and never detach it then the inconvenience isn't nearly as bad as I had first thought. On the other hand if they went only wireless that would completely eliminate the ability to use wired headphones which would definitely make people think twice if they don't like wireless headphones. And that is only one of the issues with moving to no ports. 

Irrelevant, a Jack costs pennies and removing it achieves nothing useful - same goes for the charging port.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

19 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

So are lower end Mac laptops.  They do start closer to a grand than a few hundred. 

yeah but the quality is on par with or better than the $1000 windows laptops... if apple wanted to make a crappy laptop they could but what is the point?

She/Her

11 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

As for going wireless, you can bet Apple will make its own protocol.

will make? they have already. the W1 chips in airpods etc that allow you to pair it so easily is proprietary and AirDrop is too. 

She/Her

44 minutes ago, Ashley xD said:

will make? they have already. the W1 chips in airpods etc that allow you to pair it so easily is proprietary and AirDrop is too. 

Load of BS. Just because the chip is their own design it doesn't mean it's not standardized. I'm using AirPods exclusively on Windows computers and they work great with BT4.0 and BT5.0 modules. It's still BT standard. Issue would be if they only worked with Apple products, then it would suck. Until that happens, I don't care if it uses WWW1 chip.

4 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

Load of BS. Just because the chip is their own design it doesn't mean it's not standardized. I'm using AirPods exclusively on Windows computers and they work great with BT4.0 and BT5.0 modules. It's still BT standard. Issue would be if they only worked with Apple products, then it would suck. Until that happens, I don't care if it uses WWW1 chip.

it's a bluetooth device but the pairing and autorizing mechanism that ONLY works with airpods and iDevices is proprietary. 

She/Her

There seems to be this belief that Apple makes stuff proprietary for the same reasons rgb fan manufacturers make thief stuff proprietary: o lock in, corral, and abuse customers.  I am not convinced of this.  Every time apple has used a proprietary system it has been because either there wasn’t a non proprietary system or or that system was vastly worse.  Apple did have their own floppy drives, scsi cables, drive formatting, and phone connector to name a few.  Look at the timing though.

apple floppy drives had multiple times the storage capacity when they came out, scsi was multiple times faster than what else was available at the time, there WAS no proprietary drive formatting and when such became available Apple generally used it (fat and ex fat were incorporated) the lightning connector did not compete with USBC, it competed with microUSB2 which it is vastly better than.  There is a strong argument than USBC is kind of an inferior version of lightning to begin with. 

Does it often have the same effect as deliberate proprietary behavior like the RGB fan manufacturers who actually deliberately abandoned and avoided a known standard specifically to abuse the customer base without creating any concrete improvements? Yes.  So there is a problem.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 hour ago, Ashley xD said:

it's a bluetooth device but the pairing and autorizing mechanism that ONLY works with airpods and iDevices is proprietary. 

So? How is that a bad thing they upgraded a widely used standard? For non-Apple devices it works like any other BT device and for Apple devices it's "magical" connecting without any hassle. I bought AirPods for my Windows systems because cables got walked into quite often in living room and because basically all other vendors have stupid silicone cup in-ears that I absolutely hate. It's so incredibly hard to find earphones that are just plastic shell (like original AirPods) that you place into the outer part of the ear. I never had any issues with any and I had them from Philips, Sony, Sennheiser, AKG. And now, they are just entirely gone, be it wired or wireless. I hate that silicon crap inside my ear canal. I don't know who started this trend, I just know it's stupid and I hate it.

1 minute ago, RejZoR said:

So? How is that a bad thing they upgraded a widely used standard? For non-Apple devices it works like any other BT device and for Apple devices it's "magical" connecting without any hassle.

that's not my point. my point was that Apple already uses proprietary wireless standards. 

She/Her

3 minutes ago, Ashley xD said:

that's not my point. my point was that Apple already uses proprietary wireless standards. 

Proprietary standards that are compatible with widely used standards. I still don't see the issue here. It's not like any other BT device offered Apple's effortless pairing until the'yve done it and now few others are doing it too their way. None of which is offered by BT standard itself.

Just now, RejZoR said:

Proprietary standards that are compatible with widely used standards. I still don't see the issue here. It's not like any other BT device offered Apple's effortless pairing until the'yve done it and now few others are doing it too their way. None of which is offered by BT standard itself.

there is no issue! i just pointed it out!

She/Her

9 hours ago, RejZoR said:

I paired Airpods with Windows 10 and holy fucking shit the experience is terrible.  Navigate through 4 menus to find where to add a bluetooth device.  Wait 30 seconds for it to maybe figure out they're called airpods.  Because bluetooth apparently never envisioned a "noisy" environment with more than 1 device within 50 feet.  Then Windows decides it wants to treat them like 8 bit mono audio.  So you have to google how to turn that shit off.  Then to fix that you basically have to disable their headset functionality so they can't be used as a headset anymore.   The audio devices menu has 6 new devices related to them.  Is it "Stereo Headphones"?  Is it "Speakers"?  Is it "Headset"?  Is it "Phone Audio"?  Like just make  it fucking work like they're supposed to.  

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

19 hours ago, AnonymousGuy said:

I paired Airpods with Windows 10 and holy fucking shit the experience is terrible.  Navigate through 4 menus to find where to add a bluetooth device.  Wait 30 seconds for it to maybe figure out they're called airpods.  Because bluetooth apparently never envisioned a "noisy" environment with more than 1 device within 50 feet.  Then Windows decides it wants to treat them like 8 bit mono audio.  So you have to google how to turn that shit off.  Then to fix that you basically have to disable their headset functionality so they can't be used as a headset anymore.   The audio devices menu has 6 new devices related to them.  Is it "Stereo Headphones"?  Is it "Speakers"?  Is it "Headset"?  Is it "Phone Audio"?  Like just make  it fucking work like they're supposed to.  

BT does the same with my *Baun headset under all OS. Either I can use it for voice in a single program (no background audio), or headphones. That's BT 4.0 devices main issue however. Lack of bandwidth.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

11 hours ago, AnonymousGuy said:

Eeeerm, how exactly is this Apple's problem? Why not just say Windows pairing with BT devices is absolute and total garbage? Which it is. I sometimes have to re-pair them through disconnect and reconnect (and sometimes this doesn't work and I need to fully re-pair them from scratch) in order to get sound through. Sometimes it pairs, makes the pairing sound but still plays sound through laptop/desktop speakers instead of earphones. Sometimes it pairs just one earphone. And this hugely depends between devices. On desktop PC I'm using BT 5.0 USB key from AliExpress with chipset from some well known Chinese BT chipset maker (Rock something, can't remember right now). Where on laptop with Realtek BT module (version 4.x), it is a lot less problematic, but still has similar problems. And this isn't the only case. My uncle had Philips Soundbar that worked fine with every phone out there, but pairing with Windows laptop was literally entirely impossible. So, yeah, not Apple's problem that Microsoft is absolutely clueless with BT devices.

It has good sound and comfort when it does work though and with MusicBee I can even use gestures on AirPods to navigate songs, although I generally don't use it because I always forget what commands are on which earphone lol.

2 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

Eeeerm, how exactly is this Apple's problem? Why not just say Windows pairing with BT devices is absolute and total garbage? Which it is. I sometimes have to re-pair them through disconnect and reconnect (and sometimes this doesn't work and I need to fully re-pair them from scratch) in order to get sound through. Sometimes it pairs, makes the pairing sound but still plays sound through laptop/desktop speakers instead of earphones. Sometimes it pairs just one earphone. And this hugely depends between devices. On desktop PC I'm using BT 5.0 USB key from AliExpress with chipset from some well known Chinese BT chipset maker (Rock something, can't remember right now). Where on laptop with Realtek BT module (version 4.x), it is a lot less problematic, but still has similar problems. And this isn't the only case. My uncle had Philips Soundbar that worked fine with every phone out there, but pairing with Windows laptop was literally entirely impossible. So, yeah, not Apple's problem that Microsoft is absolutely clueless with BT devices.

It has good sound and comfort when it does work though and with MusicBee I can even use gestures on AirPods to navigate songs, although I generally don't use it because I always forget what commands are on which earphone lol.

To share my experience, I don't have any issues with my Anker Bluetooth earphone on my Windows devices. Maybe it is your Bluetooth module that sucks? Poor drivers?  For me, the moment I connect my BT earphones to my PC, Windows switches the audio source to them instantly.

What people needs to remember is that Bluetooth is a shit standard. It was only designed for file transfer... everything else you Bluetooth doing, are all hacks quickly added to the standard. Not helped with the limited Bluetooth frequency range which forces heavy compression (most notable on audio being passed through).

Cars have lots of problem too. Your phone might works great, then you switch phones and boom, can't connect anymore or has connection issues. A common mistake, is that many don't test their phone when they test drive their new car. They buy it/lease it, and they get the surprise that their phone has BT issues with their car. Then they'll blame on the car or their phone.

Personally, I think Bluetooth should be scraped and redone properly with what can be done today, plus room in the future.

1 minute ago, GoodBytes said:

Personally, I think Bluetooth should be scraped and redone properly with what can be done today, plus room in the future.

joke about more competing standers coming in :)

but I agree it is such a mess

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs