Coax to ethernet?

So we used to have gigabit speed through Xfinity, we downgraded to 300mbps, so the modem we have is the best xfinity offers, the cable that connects it is white cable, the end is rounded that you gotta like screw in, it has a gold pin in the middle. So we just recently got some netgear 200$ router, and it uses Ethernet to connect it, anyway to convert the cable we use to Ethernet?

1 minute ago, Shimejii said:

Your Coaxial Cable is not your internet cable. Look for a different cable box for the internet. it Should be Cat5e or Cat 6a Cabling.

we have a phone cable in there and 2 ethernet, both go to systems

5 minutes ago, Lucky5 said:

So we used to have gigabit speed through Xfinity, we downgraded to 300mbps, so the modem we have is the best xfinity offers, the cable that connects it is white cable, the end is rounded that you gotta like screw in, it has a gold pin in the middle. So we just recently got some netgear 200$ router, and it uses Ethernet to connect it, anyway to convert the cable we use to Ethernet?

The coax cable is not Ethernet. It's RF.

If you want to use ethernet equipment, you have to plug it into that xfinity modem. If you previously had more than one modem for some reason that's a different aspect. You can connect a netgear switch to the cable that goes to the PC.

Just now, Kisai said:

The coax cable is not Ethernet. It's RF.

If you want to use ethernet equipment, you have to plug it into that xfinity modem. If you previously had more than one modem for some reason that's a different aspect. You can connect a netgear switch to the cable that goes to the PC.

so, keep the xfinity modem plugged in, and plug in ethernet from the xfinity modem to the netgear one?

Just now, Lucky5 said:

so, keep the xfinity modem plugged in, and plug in ethernet from the xfinity modem to the netgear one?

Yep. It should be fine unless the installer locked it to the MAC address of the PC, which, nobody really does anymore.

The xfinity machine where the coax plugs in is a cable modem.  You need to plug ur router into that.  A converter alone will not work.

Just now, Kisai said:

Yep. It should be fine unless the installer locked it to the MAC address of the PC, which, nobody really does anymore.

so one reason of us upgrading is that the xfinity is it over heated often, even after dusting and giving it more airflow, by doing this, is the old modem acting only as a converter? how would I make the new modem the primary

5 minutes ago, Lucky5 said:

so one reason of us upgrading is that the xfinity is it over heated often, even after dusting and giving it more airflow, by doing this, is the old modem acting only as a converter? how would I make the new modem the primary

Did you buy a new router or a router/modem combo? If it’s just a router, then you still need the xfinity modem. If it’s a router/modem combo, then you can replace the xfinity modem with the new combo unit.

9 minutes ago, Lucky5 said:

Nope, If you have two cable modems in your house/apartment, there is still only 1 cable coming to your unit. Basically what happens when you have two cable modems is that they share the bandwidth, but many cable providers actually do this to offer TV or VoIP services on a separate channel so the customer can't "get free services" from their internet connection, and the QoS of the VoIP channel preempts the internet one.

With that said, what the local cable co here does now, is run the TV and Internet over the same "all IP" cable modem, running the TV over IP rather than RF tuners. The VoIP phones are a separate cable modem, one with a battery backup.

Basically, connect the netgear switch (you should be using an unmanaged ethernet switch, not a router) and connect it to the port the computer uses on the cable modem. If you want to use a WiFi router, you need to reconfigure the modem to DMZ the router, or connect the switch port on the router to the cable modem and turn the DHCP off on the wifi router.

14 minutes ago, Lucky5 said:

Wait, were you sent a second modem? You're probably supposed to replace the other modem entirely.

diagram_cm_connection_numbered.gif?la=en

1 minute ago, Kisai said:

Wait, were you sent a second modem? You're probably supposed to replace the other modem entirely.

We have an xfinity modem, it uses a coax cable, we got a new 200$ netgear modem, it does not have a port for coax, how would i set it up so we can use the new modem to get better wifi speeds

7 minutes ago, Kisai said:

diagram_cm_connection_numbered.gif?la=en

oh sorry the image didn't load, is this how it needs to be setup?

3 minutes ago, Lucky5 said:

We have an xfinity modem, it uses a coax cable, we got a new 200$ netgear modem, it does not have a port for coax, how would i set it up so we can use the new modem to get better wifi speeds

I think you are confusing something, did you get a router or a modem? If it was a modem did you accidentally get a dsl instead of a coax modem? A dsl modem will have a phone jack instead of a coax connection.

3 minutes ago, Lucky5 said:

oh sorry the image didn't load, is this how it needs to be setup?

This is what a typical cable modem setup is, when they don't include WiFi or Ethernet Switch ports (eg you'd plug in your own switch/router)

List the part number of the existing cable modem and the netgear device you bought and we can take a look at what you're trying to do, because it sounds like you ordered a switch/router or a dsl modem when you need a cable modem.

10 minutes ago, Kisai said:

This is what a typical cable modem setup is, when they don't include WiFi or Ethernet Switch ports (eg you'd plug in your own switch/router)

List the part number of the existing cable modem and the netgear device you bought and we can take a look at what you're trying to do, because it sounds like you ordered a switch/router or a dsl modem when you need a cable modem.

first one is the cabling on the back, the white one is the coax

IMG_20200522_223044.jpg

IMG_20200522_230409.jpg

IMG_20200522_230426.jpg

20 minutes ago, Lucky5 said:

first one is the cabling on the back, the white one is the coax

IMG_20200522_223044.jpg

IMG_20200522_230409.jpg

IMG_20200522_230426.jpg

Ok yeah, that Netgear is router, not a modem. From the back of your cable modem in the first picture, plug the YELLOW cable into the YELLOW ethernet jack on the Netgear.

There's further configuration that I'd do with the netgear to make it work as intended, but as I said that involves either:

a) Turning DHCP off on the netgear, and plugging the yellow cable from the cable modem to one of the gigabit ports

OR

b) Switching the yellow cable's port on the cable modem to DMZ so the router hands everything to the router. Otherwise you get double-NAT which some games can't deal with

It will work without doing either, but you may have trouble getting games to work over double-NAT.

11 hours ago, Lucky5 said:

The round cable is coax. The box Xfinity gave you is a Gateway(modem/Router), you require a modem to connect to their services. So you will need to A) Put their box in bridge mode, making it a modem, or B) Buy a cable modem. 

After looking at that picture you have a Gateway with a eMTA in it. Meaning it does voice as well. Digital voice modems are a bit more complicated when it comes to a customer owning one. Xfinity is very picky about what eMTA they allow you their network. You will want to make sure you consult the Xfinity supported device list if you wish to buy your own. Other wise, ask them to but the box in bridge mode. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

12 hours ago, Lucky5 said:

There seems to be some confusion here.

The Xfinity box is your modem. The Netgear router is a router. You need to connect the Netgear router to the Xfinity modem.

It should go like this: Coax Cable screws into the Xfinity Modem. Ethernet Cable goes from Xfinity Modem to the WAN port on the Netgear modem.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

1 minute ago, dalekphalm said:

The Xfinity box is your mode.

Xfinity doesnt do modems, they do gateways. We need to be clear here or the OP will suffer double NAT. Last I checked the OP will have to call them up to have it put in to Bridge mode, at least the last time I have checked. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

6 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Xfinity doesnt do modems, they do gateways. We need to be clear here or the OP will suffer double NAT. Last I checked the OP will have to call them up to have it put in to Bridge mode, at least the last time I have checked. 

To be fair, a gateway is also a modem, But you are correct, if it's a gateway, there are unique considerations such as double NAT.

But, I would imagine there's a simple switch in the Gateway's web interface to put it into bridged/modem only mode. Does Xfinity lock this feature out so that a tech must do it? That's odd and not very consumer friendly.

The OP needs to do that. And that may alleviate the overheating issues too, depending on what's causing them.

Either way, the OP needs to connect the Coax to the Gateway/Modem, then ethernet from the Gateway/Modem to the WAN port on the Router.

After that, he needs to set the Gateway to bridged mode - either by doing it himself, or by calling his ISP and having them do it for him.

Once he's done that, he just needs to setup the Netgear router as per usual, and he should be fine.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)