GTA V Textures Not Loading In

AdvocateOfNyx

Hey all, I've been playing some GTA recently but have been having a lot of trouble with driving due to the road textures not loading in underneath me.  Originally I thought it was because the game was saved to my hard drive, but after moving it to my ssd the problem persisted.  My next idea was that my 3gb of VRAM wasn't enough to load all the textures, but according to GTA's settings menu it only needs 1066mb of VRAM, around a third of what I have available, so I don't think that should be an issue.  I've turned down the settings as much as I possibly can, disabling everything I can and turning all settings down as low as they go ("normal" is what the game calls this for some reason).  Nothing seems to have a big impact on this.  Attached is a link to a video that shows the issue.  I can't alt + tab out of the game or use any interfaces while in the game or it breaks, so I had to use some more primitive recording methods to show the issue to my friends, but you can see it pretty clearly in this video.

Edit: I was asked to get some usage numbers so here are my numbers after I ran the entire GTA V benchmark from start to finish:

Max GPU Temp: 54 C

Max VRAM Used (Dedicated): 2656 MB

Average VRAM Used (Dedicated): 1053 MB

Max VRAM Used (Dynamic): 143 MB

Average VRAM Used (Dynamic): 102 MB

Max CPU Temp: 56 C

I will try to update later when I play the actual game for a longer period of time.

If anyone has any ideas on how I can fix this problem that would be awesome as I'm having a really hard time keeping up with my friends while we play together.  Thanks!

-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-

At what resolution are you playing and what settings do you use in game? I can run GTA V perfectly well with 2 GB on a GTX 960 at mid to high settings 1080p. I sometimes get those texture issues but only for a few seconds then they are gone.

I would assume it has something to do with the graphics card. Is your driver up to date? Check with GPU-Z how much video memory is being used while gaming (it can log to file without needing to alt+tab).

Also note that when playing online, sometimes you will have less performance and issues due to a bad internet connection or a full server.

Try story mode and see if it makes a difference.

1 minute ago, Applefreak said:

At what resolution are you playing and what settings do you use in game? I can run GTA V perfectly well with 2 GB on a GTX 960 at mid to high settings 1080p. I sometimes get those texture issues but only for a few seconds then they are gone.

I would assume it has something to do with the graphics card. Is your driver up to date? Check with GPU-Z how much video memory is being used while gaming (it can log to file without needing to alt+tab).

Also note that when playing online, sometimes you will have less performance and issues due to a bad internet connection or a full server.

I'm at 1080p and all settings as low as they can go (which the game calls "normal").  I've also disabled pretty much everything that makes the game look nice, turned down population density, all that stuff.  My driver is indeed up to date, I double checked that.  Story mode suffers similar problems, and I would hope my online performance wouldn't be that bad since I have 1000/1000 fiber and I'm on ethernet.  I will try running GPU-Z in the GTA V benchmark mode really quick and update on how much is being used, then double check later when I get on to play with friends.  I'm with you on thinking it's something to do with my GPU, it's getting pretty old and is due for an upgrade this winter.

-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-

I'd look at system temperatures as well. Maybe your cpu is not running at full speed for some reason. Your slow HDD would have made it worse but given that you run off the SSD, you should be fine there, unless you only copied the folder in windows explorer without setting a new install path in steam.

2 minutes ago, Applefreak said:

I'd look at system temperatures as well. Maybe your cpu is not running at full speed for some reason. Your slow HDD would have made it worse but given that you run off the SSD, you should be fine there, unless you only copied the folder in windows explorer without setting a new install path in steam.

I went in to steam and moved the local files to a different steam directory so we should be all good there.  I'll check on my CPU and GPU temps as well and post them here in a few minutes.

Yeah i'd say make 100% sure the game didn't install on the hdd , unplug the hdd if you have to

Used to see this when I stacked too many mods. Are you running some?

3 minutes ago, Den-Fi said:

Used to see this when I stacked too many mods. Are you running some?

Nope, no mods.  Stock game and playing online with friends.  I get something similar in Skyrim when running lots of mods, though.

26 minutes ago, AdvocateOfNyx said:

I'm at 1080p and all settings as low as they can go (which the game calls "normal").  I've also disabled pretty much everything that makes the game look nice, turned down population density, all that stuff.  My driver is indeed up to date, I double checked that.  Story mode suffers similar problems, and I would hope my online performance wouldn't be that bad since I have 1000/1000 fiber and I'm on ethernet.  I will try running GPU-Z in the GTA V benchmark mode really quick and update on how much is being used, then double check later when I get on to play with friends.  I'm with you on thinking it's something to do with my GPU, it's getting pretty old and is due for an upgrade this winter.

17 minutes ago, Applefreak said:

Updated the post to include both the VRAM usage and CPU/GPU temps from the GTA V benchmark.

Thanks. I am guessing your GPU is not being fully utilized here. Those temps should be well over 60, closer to 70 C.

Are you running the game in windowed mode?

1 minute ago, Applefreak said:

Thanks. I am guessing your GPU is not being fully utilized here. Those temps should be well over 60, closer to 70 C.

Are you running the game in windowed mode?

Borderless window as I have a second monitor and that's what I usually run all my games in so I can use the other monitor to interact with Discord and stuff.

Try running full screen, GTA V and some other games are known have issues with games running in windowed mode.

1 hour ago, Applefreak said:

Try running full screen, GTA V and some other games are known have issues with games running in windowed mode.

Playing in full screen was significantly better!  Max GPU temp was 63 C and max CPU temp was 60 C.  I'll be slowly pumping up the graphics to see how much I can handle.  I am very surprised at how much of a difference playing in full screen makes, I may have to keep this in mind for other games I play.  Thanks so much for the help!

2 hours ago, Applefreak said:

i have some issue and if i keep driving into that i got little stutter and the loading finished, can undervolting too much make that issue ?? check at my new post 

21 minutes ago, AdvocateOfNyx said:

Playing in full screen was significantly better!  Max GPU temp was 63 C and max CPU temp was 60 C.  I'll be slowly pumping up the graphics to see how much I can handle.  I am very surprised at how much of a difference playing in full screen makes, I may have to keep this in mind for other games I play.  Thanks so much for the help!

i tried to complie much people as i can to discuss this kinda issue at my post 

maybe some my trick will do something, check that out.