C'mon Team Linus! Help an IT instructor out!

USMCallinan

WHEN are you going to have your team take the CompTIA A+, Network+ and Security+ exams!?     you all are awesome! We just want your opinion on certs to get people into the professional IT world!

At least go sit for the CompTIA A+ exam (Through pearsonvue)...    SO many of your fans would love to make a career in IT but don't know where to start!

What is this thread

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

Just now, Samfisher said:

What is this thread

Im not sure, but I want the Linus team to take certs and give feedback!  I FORCE my students to watch Linus Tech Tips!  LOL

12 minutes ago, USMCallinan said:

WHEN are you going to have your team take the CompTIA A+, Network+ and Security+ exams!?

Why do you assume they are going to take such at all?

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

I don't assume anything really, I just feel like it would be a fun experiment for these guys (given they HAVE a solid career plan already) in order to motivate future It pros.  It could happen right!?

You have to admit, it WOULD be an interesting point of view.... 
SO many of LTT subscribers are IT enthusiasts, but don't have the credentials or training to work in IT yet...  

The IT world is a large field! Transfer those interests into a career! 

1 minute ago, USMCallinan said:

I don't assume anything really, I just feel like it would be a fun experiment for these guys (given they HAVE a solid career plan already) in order to motivate future It pros.  It could happen right!?

If anything, it would motivate future IT-pros not to bother with those shit, useless exams. I mean, these guys already have successful careers, they'd just be wasting time and effort on exams where they could instead spend that time far more productively!

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Just now, USMCallinan said:

You have to admit, it WOULD be an interesting point of view.... 
SO many of LTT subscribers are IT enthusiasts, but don't have the credentials or training to work in IT yet...  

The IT world is a large field! Transfer those interests into a career! 

Because they are part of the journalism community and not of the professional IT community. No point in getting a cert.

21 minutes ago, USMCallinan said:

At least go sit for the CompTIA A+ exam (Through pearsonvue)...    SO many of your fans would love to make a career in IT but don't know where to start!

I’m confused, is this you pitching them the idea of making videos outlining how to make a career in tech? If so, there is a thread for recommending video ideas.

I am far from an expert in this so please correct me if I’m wrong.

Quote or tag me so I can see your response

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

Graphics Card Cooling Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG

Mentioned in 7/10/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/15/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/17/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/31/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/31/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/3/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/5/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/7/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/12/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/19/20 Techlinked

4 hours ago, 3rrant said:

Because they are part of the journalism community and not of the professional IT community. No point in getting a cert.

Well...     I honestly think they'd probably pass the A+....         Think about those people who love the tech world but dont know where to start! This would be a solid avenue to see right??????? 
(I've worked in IT for 15 years and have taught Networking and security for ten years) 
It would be fun right!?

4 hours ago, zeusthemoose said:

I’m confused, is this you pitching them the idea of making videos outlining how to make a career in tech? If so, there is a thread for recommending video ideas.

I've already put this in the "video idea" thread months ago..   no response.

This would be a solid avenue to see right???????

Nope.

It would be fun right!?

No to that as well.

Well...     I honestly think they'd probably pass the A+....         Think about those people who love the tech world but dont know where to start! This would be a solid avenue to see right??????? 
(I've worked in IT for 15 years and have taught Networking and security for ten years) 
It would be fun right!?

I do get you're excited about this but with all respect really, I think you're the only one lol

4 hours ago, WereCatf said:

Nope.

No to that as well.

Well thanks for your opinion...   I guess.

4 hours ago, USMCallinan said:

Well thanks for your opinion...   I guess.

I assume you have no certs?

2 minutes ago, USMCallinan said:

I believe that means the team doesn’t think it would make an entertaining video that is worth the effort.

I am far from an expert in this so please correct me if I’m wrong.

Quote or tag me so I can see your response

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

Graphics Card Cooling Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG

Mentioned in 7/10/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/15/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/17/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/31/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/31/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/3/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/5/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/7/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/12/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/19/20 Techlinked

4 hours ago, 3rrant said:

I do get you're excited about this but with all respect really, I think you're the only one lol

My only IT passion is helping people who once thought they'd never be "smart enough" to get to an IT position...  I have to try right?!

4 hours ago, USMCallinan said:

My only IT passion is helping people who once thought they'd never be "smart enough" to get to an IT position...  I have to try right?!

Well that and gaming... LOL

I assume you have no certs?

Why would you assume they don't have any certs?

4 hours ago, zeusthemoose said:

I believe that means the team doesn’t think it would make an entertaining video that is worth the effort.

I understand that...   but with 10 million viewers...  I often wonder how many of them would like to turn their passions into a career.....      (I'm old)  LOL   But there's a huge field out there for IT pros right?!

4 hours ago, The_russian said:

Why would you assume they don't have any certs?

NO I assumed YOU didn't have professional certs...    ?  
I don't mean to be a jerk, I promise...  I just mean that an IT certification can ignite a whole career of opportunities.

I understand that...   but with 10 million viewers...  I often wonder how many of them would like to turn their passions into a career.....      (I'm old)  LOL   But there's a huge field out there for IT pros right?!

There are a lot of pros out there without those certs as well.

NO I assumed YOU didn't have professional certs...    ?  
I don't mean to be a jerk, I promise...  I just mean that an IT certification can ignite a whole career of opportunities.

I'm not the one you were replying to, and I got that you were talking about the person that replied to you. The question stands, what makes you think they don't have any certs? I'm genuinely curious. 

There are a lot of pros out there without those certs as well.

You're right! There are a lot of opportunities...   but my experience is...  most people don't have a solid grasp on the fundamentals...   the students I have had that did understand the fundamentals moved on to get better certs (CCNA, CEH, CySA+, etc) to build their careers, ya know?

4 hours ago, The_russian said:

I'm not the one you were replying to, and I got that you were talking about the person that replied to you. The question stands, what makes you think they don't have any certs? I'm genuinely curious. 

Oops! Sorry man!  I didn't mean to reply to the wrong comment!  I don't know what certs they have...  and honestly..  they don't need certs, they're set with a super popular channel with bad ass information... 

My  suggestion was only to give info to people who watch LTT and are trying to get into the IT world without previous experience...   
For example...  my studnets today asked me about Linus's video about "Iphones are better" ..  (We have had MANY conversations about mobile IT and securtity and whatnot)..  but the video by Linus LITERALLY helped create a fluid, learning environment in my class today...            

I think we IT pros underestimate how hard it is for new people to get into IT......

I didn't mean to sound condescending in this post, I just wanted the opinions of all the LTT followers and staff (If possible!) 

5 hours ago, USMCallinan said:

WHEN are you going to have your team take the CompTIA A+, Network+ and Security+ exams!?     you all are awesome! We just want your opinion on certs to get people into the professional IT world!

Anyone currently working in IT, I'd love to hear you opinions/experience to better my class!

8 minutes ago, USMCallinan said:

My  suggestion was only to give info to people who watch LTT and are trying to get into the IT world without previous experience

LTT is more about entertainment than dry education; I don't see how one could make those certs seem fun and exciting enough to be a good fit for the channel. If you could come up with something concrete to suggest to them, some way of making an exciting/entertaining video out of the topic, that would increase the likelihood of them considering your idea here.

LTT is more about entertainment than dry education; I don't see how one could make those certs seem fun and exciting enough to be a good fit for the channel. If you could come up with something concrete to suggest to them, some way of making an exciting/entertaining video out of the topic, that would increase the likelihood of them considering your idea here.

You're absolutely right! This topic can be REALLY dry and boring! As an instructor, my classes are NEVER dry and boring! (NO BS, my students are motivated!) But...     topics such as A+ networking and "printers" (laser printers specifically) can be made fun by a thorough explanation and constant reiteration of the need in the IT world. 

I also think it would be fun for Linus to create an "education" branch to his videos....   "Hey, do you want to learn what ACTIVE DIRECTORY is and how to use it? GO HERE!"  Most instructors you find on youtube/Udemy are **BORING**AS**SHIT**..   It doesn't have to be this way.

Realistically, how many IT pros can say "Hey! an IP address of 192.168.5.135 /25 is in the second network with a network address of 192.168.5.128 and a broadcast address of 192.168.5.255" and really understand what those numbers mean?

I also think it would be fun for Linus to create an "education" branch to his videos....   "Hey, do you want to learn what ACTIVE DIRECTORY is and how to use it? GO HERE!"  Most instructors you find on youtube/Udemy are **BORING**AS**SHIT**..   It doesn't have to be this way.

I feel like those videos would take a lot of work in research and prep, and not enough people would be interested in something that in-depth for it to be worth it for them. I think the majority of his audience is more "mainstream" pc gaming enthusiasts who wouldn't care about something like active directories. LMG is a business, so in order to make financial sense, they need to make videos that more people will enjoy. 

4 minutes ago, USMCallinan said:

Realistically, how many IT pros can say "Hey! an IP address of 192.168.5.135 /25 is in the second network with a network address of 192.168.5.128 and a broadcast address of 192.168.5.255" and really understand what those numbers mean?

It depends on what kind of "IT" pro they are. IT is really general, so if they are a pro at programming or app development, they might not know that. Some one like a networking engineer or a system administrator on the other hand, should definitely know that. 

Mate, you keep jumping from one thing to another and being like an Energizer-bunny. Do you have an actual, practical example on how they could make any of this entertaining enough to be a good fit for the channel? You have not yet given anything on how to make it fit.

Also, about cherry-picking things like you did in the quoted part here: only IT-pros that do some work related to networking need such basic knowledge, so it's not relevant to any IT-jobs that don't deal with such.