Should I invest in a high end fan?

e22big

My desktop fan is very noisy right now so it's probably time I should replace them. I heard that a higher end fans like the Noctua or Be Quiet one can be very silent but for the most part I don't they think they will make a different compare to a freshly change normal fan (like the one from Deep Cool or Cooler Master), however I would be interested in those if they were able to perform quietly for a signiciantly longer time (for the price they asked, these fan better work well 4 years at the minimum) 

Is that an assmption I can rely on?

I've used some pretty cheap corsair fans that are not loud. Even if be quiet and noctua fans are super quiet, that premium performance is for people focused on noise primarily. If you just want "less loud," you don't need to go all out.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

I agree with @Fasauceome comment. I can also say that I have both Coolermaster MF120 fans in my system, and Corsair LL120s. And while there's not really a sound difference, the Corsairs are noticeably nicer quality.

Gaming Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x   |  GPU: Asus ROG STRIX 2080 SUPER Advanced (2115Mhz Core | 9251Mhz Memory) |  Motherboard: Asus X570 TUF GAMING-PLUS  |  RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3600MHz 16GB  |  PSU: Corsair RM850x  |  Storage: 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro, 250GB Samsung 840 Evo, 500GB Samsung 840 Evo  |  Cooler: Corsair H115i Pro XT  |  Case: Lian Li PC-O11

Peripherals:

Monitor: LG 34GK950F  |  Sound: Sennheiser HD 598  |  Mic: Blue Yeti  |  Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum  |  Mouse: Logitech G502

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

Ryzen 7 4800HS, GTX1660Ti, 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz, 512GB nVME, 144hz

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

you need to factor in the rpm and air movement because some 120mm fans need to run at full speed to move a decent amount of air which means the bearing is going to make a tone of noice. so look for a fan moves a grate amount of air with out having to ramp up the fan. For me when I was looking for a 120mm fan and 80mm fan for my case I looked for one with high rpms so that low speeds It was pushing the same or more air as the stock at full speed. look at using noctua fans that have high rpm 

1 hour ago, Statik said:

I agree with @Fasauceome comment. I can also say that I have both Coolermaster MF120 fans in my system, and Corsair LL120s. And while there's not really a sound difference, the Corsairs are noticeably nicer quality.

I am more concern with the logevity though, if it's only quiet for just one or two year like my dirt cheap DeepCool then I'll probably just go for the same dirt cheap DeepCool because the maintaiance cost would be too much for just having a quiet room. 

Although for some reason these fan sound wierdly sharp and unpleasant to me. I guess rather than just more quiet, having something that sound a bit more pleasant would work as well. 

Attach for your reference, it's actually sound a lot worse in real life

.1589994291444.m4a

Nothing beats 120x38s or 140x38s. That is a sure fire way to move a lot of air relatively quietly. Blows everything else away, literally.

AMD R9 5900X | Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, T30,TL-C12 Pro
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14 1.5v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1496 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

1 minute ago, freeagent said:

Nothing beats 120x38s or 140x38s. That is a sure fire way to move a lot of air relatively quietly. Blows everything else away, literally.

I care a lot less about airflow than the sound actually - I am considering pulling my front case fan off right now to make the system sound somewhat tolerable

Indeed.

I should note that my fans are very quiet.. at 7v which is what I run them at most of the time. At 12v you would probably consider suicide if regular fans bother you.

2 hours ago, e22big said:

I am more concern with the logevity though, if it's only quiet for just one or two year like my dirt cheap DeepCool then I'll probably just go for the same dirt cheap DeepCool because the maintaiance cost would be too much for just having a quiet room. 

Although for some reason these fan sound wierdly sharp and unpleasant to me. I guess rather than just more quiet, having something that sound a bit more pleasant would work as well. 

Attach for your reference, it's actually sound a lot worse in real life

.1589994291444.m4a 343.76 kB · 0 downloads

If you spend decent money on a fan from somewhere like Corsair, you'll get a good life out of it. I believe Corsair fans have a 2 year warranty, and I've never heard of someone complaining of them dying, or getting loud.

I have NF-F12s in my other rig (currently at my girlfriends), and I had those fans running ALL THE TIME, for like 6+ years, and they're still going as strong as ever for my SO.

Gaming Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x   |  GPU: Asus ROG STRIX 2080 SUPER Advanced (2115Mhz Core | 9251Mhz Memory) |  Motherboard: Asus X570 TUF GAMING-PLUS  |  RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3600MHz 16GB  |  PSU: Corsair RM850x  |  Storage: 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro, 250GB Samsung 840 Evo, 500GB Samsung 840 Evo  |  Cooler: Corsair H115i Pro XT  |  Case: Lian Li PC-O11

Peripherals:

Monitor: LG 34GK950F  |  Sound: Sennheiser HD 598  |  Mic: Blue Yeti  |  Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum  |  Mouse: Logitech G502

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

Ryzen 7 4800HS, GTX1660Ti, 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz, 512GB nVME, 144hz

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

At least from my experience, Noctuas have been very good with staying quiet over the years whereas plenty of other fans can start getting noisier even they were quiet to begin with. That's a reason why I'm not sure if Noctuas are necessarily a worse value than dirt cheap fans when you might be able to use it for longer and without acoustics getting significantly worse over time. 

Here's an extreme example where Noctuas were abused pretty hard but still usable and quiet after cleaning:

Some Deepcool and Cooler Master fans can be quiet at low rpm but then they usually don't perform as well.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

check out the silverstone intake fan in my build below. got it for ~13 bucks.

the specs (pressure, airflow, noise) are so good and i trust silverstone's qc.

it's meant for cpu cooling but i find it great as case fan too!

it's also argb but i don't have an argb header and don't care for lighting anyway.

strangely, *absolutely no one on the internet reviewed, talked about or even mentioned it (except for some japanese/korean sites).

Please give kudos if you find someone's reply helpful 😃

<'><  <'><  <'><

In case you wonder about my forum name, it's either Cthulhu or two dwarves about to make out ;)

Now that you've seen it, can you unsee it?

<">{   <">{   <">{

Get motion sickness playing FPS =(

" ({) "   " ({) "   " ({) "

"You so ugly you scaring away the fish!"

>>>><<<<

>>> "BOOB JOB" <<<

Ryzen 3600
MSI B450m Mortar Max
2 x Corsair low clearance DDR4 8G 3200MHz C16

GeForce GTX 780 Ti (temporarily downgraded)
Silverstone FT03
Samsung EVO 2.5" SSD 500G (boot) + WD SN550 1TB (game lib)

WD Elements 3.5" HDD 1.5T (storage; pulled from an old external drive)
Seasonic SS-660XPII 660W 80Plus Platinum Ver II
DeepCool Gammaxx GT (CPU)
Silverstone AB120R (intake)
2 x Silverstone AP81 (intake)
Silversrone FN121-P (exhaust)

AG AGON AG323QCXE (What a hidden gem)

NiZ Plum Electro-capacitive Keyboard
Logitech G703 Hero Lightspeed

Koss Sporta 
Windows 10 Pro

>>>><<<<

Linksys WRT1900ACS (rocking OpenWrt)

WD Elements 5T external HDD (network backup drive)

37 minutes ago, LjjlijJ said:

check out the silverstone intake fan in my build below. got it for ~13 bucks.

the specs (pressure, airflow, noise) are so good and i trust silverstone's qc.

it's meant for cpu cooling but i find it great as case fan too!

it's also argb but i don't have an argb header and don't care for lighting anyway.

strangely, *absolutely no one on the internet reviewed, talked about or even mentioned it (except for some japanese/korean sites).

Silverstone AB120R seems to be a solid choice.

The fan blade looks similar to SilverStone FQ121. I would assume it is the same.

Noctua A12x25 review by overclockers.com (Silverstone FQ121 is also in the performance chart)

Intel I7-10700KF stock - Noctua NH-D15 - A15+A12x25 

Micron Ballistix Sport LT 4133MHz CL17-21-21-40 @1.45v

GIGABYTE AORUS 3090 Xtreme 1905MHz@0.919v/2010MHz@1.063v +900/750 memory clock

Seasonic PX-1000

Lian-Li Lancool II Mesh 

1 hour ago, ThiccSmough said:

Silverstone AB120R seems to be a solid choice.

The fan blade looks similar to SilverStone FQ121. I would assume it is the same.

Noctua A12x25 review by overclockers.com (Silverstone FQ121 is also in the performance chart)

maybe the same fan blades but ab120r's specs are way better than fq

Please give kudos if you find someone's reply helpful 😃

<'><  <'><  <'><

In case you wonder about my forum name, it's either Cthulhu or two dwarves about to make out ;)

Now that you've seen it, can you unsee it?

<">{   <">{   <">{

Get motion sickness playing FPS =(

" ({) "   " ({) "   " ({) "

"You so ugly you scaring away the fish!"

>>>><<<<

>>> "BOOB JOB" <<<

Ryzen 3600
MSI B450m Mortar Max
2 x Corsair low clearance DDR4 8G 3200MHz C16

GeForce GTX 780 Ti (temporarily downgraded)
Silverstone FT03
Samsung EVO 2.5" SSD 500G (boot) + WD SN550 1TB (game lib)

WD Elements 3.5" HDD 1.5T (storage; pulled from an old external drive)
Seasonic SS-660XPII 660W 80Plus Platinum Ver II
DeepCool Gammaxx GT (CPU)
Silverstone AB120R (intake)
2 x Silverstone AP81 (intake)
Silversrone FN121-P (exhaust)

AG AGON AG323QCXE (What a hidden gem)

NiZ Plum Electro-capacitive Keyboard
Logitech G703 Hero Lightspeed

Koss Sporta 
Windows 10 Pro

>>>><<<<

Linksys WRT1900ACS (rocking OpenWrt)

WD Elements 5T external HDD (network backup drive)

Thermalright makes some pretty good fans.

http://www.thermalright.com/product-category/system-fan/

I have TY-147A, TY-147B and TY-143. I am looking at some of their square fans to slap in my case, and replace my 15 year old Panaflos which are still good, but they are old and I want something new.

If you're looking for longevity, I'd go Noctua. They give their fans a 7-year warranty, which shows some serious confidence, and in my experience the build quality is top notch. If you wanted something a little less expensive you could go for their Redux fans, or for something even more durable you could go ippc, which are rated for water- and dust-proofing to some absurd degree.

2 hours ago, freeagent said:

Thermalright makes some pretty good fans.

http://www.thermalright.com/product-category/system-fan/

I have TY-147A, TY-147B and TY-143. I am looking at some of their square fans to slap in my case, and replace my 15 year old Panaflos which are still good, but they are old and I want something new.

I had exact opposite experiences with Thermalright fan.

One spills oil right after warranty expired (one year), the other one rattles when mounted horizontally.

Intel I7-10700KF stock - Noctua NH-D15 - A15+A12x25 

Micron Ballistix Sport LT 4133MHz CL17-21-21-40 @1.45v

GIGABYTE AORUS 3090 Xtreme 1905MHz@0.919v/2010MHz@1.063v +900/750 memory clock

Seasonic PX-1000

Lian-Li Lancool II Mesh 

Should have used that warranty.