Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Google suspends podcast app for having podcasts about covid-19

hui
 Share

Source: 

 

It's a great podcast app that I've been using for the past 3 years and it saddens me to say that it's gotten removed for content that is beyond the app's control. As the author of the tweet says, the same podcasts exist on Google's own podcast app. Posting here so it may get some attention, and hopefully get the issue resolved for the sole developer of this app. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

In general I don't like it when this happens to free stuff but in this case the app was or is not free. It is ad supported, and given the number of downloads and active installs I'd bet he or she made a lot of money off it too.

Also there are other places to upload the app but I am guessing none with a similar ad payment system in place.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Many platforms are cracking down on corona based content due to the shear amount of misinformation being spread around like a roomba running over a dog turd.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, Applefreak said:

In general I don't like it when this happens to free stuff but in this case the app was or is not free. It is ad supported, and given the number of downloads and active installs I'd bet he or she made a lot of money off it too.

Also there are other places to upload the app but I am guessing none with a similar ad payment system in place.

The app is free, with a paid version to get rid of the ads. The number of downloads are irrelevant, especially since the app has been on the store for ages (and Google's solution to this to submit a new app with a new app name and package name (source: https://twitter.com/PodcastAddict/status/1261671685477941253?s=20) ) and the same podcasts are available on Google's podcast app. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, I get the point and I strongly disagree with Google's behaviour but I also know that within a state of emergency certain rules and laws don't apply especially when it comes to harsh actions like that. It clearly was wrong to do so but I can understand the primitive, simple minded, solution of sinking a ship instead of fixing the leak to get rid of the problem wihtout having to get your hands wet. It's just how many things are done these days. Prosecuting before gathering evidence, kind of the new norm these days when it comes to dealing with all things digital.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Apparently developer blatantly violated one of Google's policies, so I'm inclined to think there's a bit more to the story that isn't being shared. My suspicion is that there was an incredibly conspiratorial podcast(s) that violated Google's policies, the developer refused to act, arguing some sort of "Internet freedom" to spread mis/disinformation, so Google resorted to suspending the application.

 

That said, Google is a giant, slow moving corporation that could make a lot of mistakes. My suspicions could very easily be incorrect based on Google's inability to moderate their other platforms.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Suika said:

Apparently developer blatantly violated one of Google's policies, so I'm inclined to think there's a bit more to the story that isn't being shared. My suspicion is that there was an incredibly conspiratorial podcast(s) that violated Google's policies, the developer refused to act, arguing some sort of "Internet freedom" to spread mis/disinformation, so Google resorted to suspending the application.

 

That said, Google is a giant, slow moving corporation that could make a lot of mistakes. My suspicions could very easily be incorrect based on Google's inability to moderate their other platforms.

Along the lines on mentioning covid-19 in the application title or assembly name I think.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

People can't be shelter forever, they need to face reality. Censoring podcast about Covid19 will not make the virus go away.  Google can however censor podcast about covid19 that are spreading conspiring theories and misinformation. Anything else such as facts, they need to let everyone know, so we all can gain some knowledge about it.

Man if Google existed back when AIDS first appear, them censoring this and that "to protect", we will most likely as of today, will not have any meds for the AIDS virus, and people won't know how to protect themselves from getting infected.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

 

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Curious Pineapple said:

Along the lines on mentioning covid-19 in the application title or assembly name I think.

The tweet put out by Podcast Addict suggests that it was for having podcasts featuring discussion of covid-19, not that it had anything to do with the app itself. Even the official policy cited by Google as having been violated suggests the developer had been doing something more severe than just mentioning the virus, which is why I don't trust the story.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×