Is 144hz monitor worth it if you have fewer fps?

Rodark

Basically the 2070 super ill get, can play everything in ultra from what i understand. BUT, while age of empires will surely be 144+ fps, games like shadow of the tomb raider on ultra will be 80 fps at best. I prefer quality over fps. so ultra on 40fps will be better for me than medium 144 fps

so, should i invest in a 1080p 144hz monitor( i was thinking getting Asus VP249QGR)

or should i get a 1440p 75hz monitor? Budget unfortunately doesnt allow a 2k 144hz monitor

Do you play FPS games and do you want a future proof monitor as the 2070s packs a ton of horse power and you may be wanting to have FPS or quality soon

3 minutes ago, SnowyLynx-_- said:

Do you play FPS games and do you want a future proof monitor as the 2070s packs a ton of horse power and you may be wanting to have FPS or quality soon

i mean yeah, i do play fps from time to time, but im mostly a single player guy. also since the monitor budget is limited(around 200 only), i dont see this monitor as future proof. at some point ill spend 400+euros to get a good 144hz 2k monitor. so i should get a 2k 75hz?

8 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

1440p if you value quality over refresh rate.

i have my eyes on this AOC Q3279VWFD8 what do you think?

1 minute ago, Rodark said:

i mean yeah, i do play fps from time to time, but im mostly a single player guy. also since the monitor budget is limited(around 200 only), i dont see this monitor as future proof. at some point ill spend 400+euros to get a good 144hz 2k monitor. so i should get a 2k 75hz?

get 1440p 75 hz monitor. you can alway upgrade to higher refresh rate later.

QUOTE ME  FOR ANSWER.

Main PC:

Spoiler

|Ryzen 7 3700x, OC to 4.2ghz @1.3V, 67C, or 4.4ghz @1.456V, 87C || Asus strix 5700 XT, +50 core, +50 memory, +50 power (not a great overclocker) || Asus Strix b550-A || G.skill trident Z Neo rgb 32gb 3600mhz cl16-19-19-19-39, oc to 3733mhz with the same timings || Cooler Master ml360 RGB AIO || Phanteks P500A Digital || Thermaltake ToughPower grand RGB750w 80+gold || Samsung 850 250gb and Adata SX 6000 Lite 500gb || Toshiba 5400rpm 1tb || Asus Rog Theta 7.1 || Asus Rog claymore || Asus Gladius 2 origin gaming mouse || Monitor 1 Asus 1080p 144hz || Monitor 2 AOC 1080p 75hz || 

Test Rig.

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 3400G || Gigabyte b450 S2H || Hyper X fury 2x4gb 2666mhz cl 16 ||Stock cooler || Antec NX100 || Silverstone essential 400w || Transgend SSD 220s 480gb ||

Just Sold

Spoiler

| i3 9100F || Msi Gaming X gtx 1050 TI || MSI Z390 A-Pro || Kingston 1x16gb 2400mhz cl17 || Stock cooler || Kolink Horizon RGB || Corsair CV 550w || Pny CS900 120gb ||

Tier lists for building a PC.

Motherboard tier list. Tier A for overclocking 5950x. Tier B for overclocking 5900x, Tier C for overclocking 5800X. Tier D for overclocking 5600X. Tier F for 4/6 core Cpus at stock. Tier E avoid.

(Also case airflow matter or if you are using Downcraft air cooler)

Spoiler

Gpu tier list. Rtx 3000 and RX 6000 not included since not so many reviews. Tier S for Water cooling. Tier A and B for overcloking. Tier C stock and Tier D avoid.

( You can overclock Tier C just fine, but it can get very loud, that is why it is not recommended for overclocking, same with tier D)

Spoiler

Psu tier List. Tier A for Rtx 3000, Vega and RX 6000. Tier B For anything else. Tier C cheap/IGPU. Tier D and E avoid.

(RTX 3000/ RX 6000 Might run just fine with higher wattage tier B unit, Rtx 3070 runs fine with tier B units)

Spoiler

Cpu cooler tier list. Tier 1&2 for power hungry Cpus with Overclock. Tier 3&4 for overclocking Ryzen 3,5,7 or lower power Intel Cpus. Tier 5 for overclocking low end Cpus or 4/6 core Ryzen. Tier 6&7 for stock. Tier 8&9 Ryzen stock cooler performance. Do not waste your money!

Spoiler

Storage tier List. Tier A for Moving files/  OS. Tier B for OS/Games. Tier C for games. Tier D budget Pcs. Tier E if on sale not the worst but not good.

(With a grain of salt, I use tier C for OS myself)

Spoiler

Case Tier List. Work In Progress. Most Phanteks airflow series cases already done!

Ask me anything :)

7 minutes ago, SnowyLynx-_- said:

yes i think you should the 75hz Acer RG240Y

thats 1080p but yeah ill probably get a 2k 75hz monitor

9 minutes ago, SavageNeo said:

get 1440p 75 hz monitor. you can alway upgrade to higher refresh rate later.

thanks! any recommendations? was looking at AOC Q3279VWFD8

144hz isn't really worth it if your PC can't handle it, if your scrolling the web, yea thats cool, but if your gaming at 80fps you aren't taking full advantage of your monitors capabilities. i'd recommend a 1080/1440p display (depending on what your pc can handl) at 75-90hz so you still get that smooth experience in windows and online but you aren't wasting your monitors potential while gaming at 80fps

i searched it up its a good monitor 5ms response time and 2k 75hz u actually got my eyes on that aswell

14 minutes ago, SnowyLynx-_- said:

i searched it up its a good monitor 5ms response time and 2k 75hz u actually got my eyes on that aswell

havent watched reviews yet, but it seems cool. ips too, almost 32 intches. and of course freesync

16 minutes ago, Ickytnt said:

144hz isn't really worth it if your PC can't handle it, if your scrolling the web, yea thats cool, but if your gaming at 80fps you aren't taking full advantage of your monitors capabilities. i'd recommend a 1080/1440p display (depending on what your pc can handl) at 75-90hz so you still get that smooth experience in windows and online but you aren't wasting your monitors potential while gaming at 80fps

thats what i thought. yeah, gonna get a 2k 75hz monitor. oh btw the rest of the specs im gonna get, dont know if it makes any difference

cpu: ryzen 5 3600

cpu cooler:  Arctic Freezer 34 Esports Duo Red

motherboard: MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC

ram: G.Skill RipjawsV 16GB DDR4-3200MHz (F4-3200C16D-16GVKB)

storage:  Crucial P1 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  +  Western Digital Blue 4TB (5400rpm)

gpu: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB WINDFORCE OC 3X Video Card

case: Phanteks Eclipse P400A Digital ATX Mid Tower Case

Power supply: Corsair TXM Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply

im also thinking getting the 3600x wit stock cooler instead of 3600 with arctic

59 minutes ago, Rodark said:

Basically the 2070 super ill get, can play everything in ultra from what i understand. BUT, while age of empires will surely be 144+ fps, games like shadow of the tomb raider on ultra will be 80 fps at best. I prefer quality over fps. so ultra on 40fps will be better for me than medium 144 fps

so, should i invest in a 1080p 144hz monitor( i was thinking getting Asus VP249QGR)

or should i get a 1440p 75hz monitor? Budget unfortunately doesnt allow a 2k 144hz monitor

Typically, the benefit of higher FPS/refresh rate and the 1ms response times are primarily in competitive play. That doesn't necessarily mean it couldn't help your Tomb Raider play in some small way, but typically 60ish FPS is the goal at the best resolution and presets you can muster for the eye candy games.

If you want the best looking monitors, look for an IPS panel. They have the most accurate and vibrant colors, and avoid VA panels, since they have the least. (Or at least the least of the popular panel types.)

Having a variable framerate (Freesync/G-Sync) has some great benefits, regardless of whether you're maxing out the potential of the refresh rate.

TLDR: Higher refresh / 1ms response / VA panel = competitive gaming / Higher resolution / IPS Panel = Eye Candy Gaming... You want Freesync or G-Sync either way.

11 minutes ago, trevb0t said:

Typically, the benefit of higher FPS/refresh rate and the 1ms response times are primarily in competitive play. That doesn't necessarily mean it couldn't help your Tomb Raider play in some small way, but typically 60ish FPS is the goal at the best resolution and presets you can muster for the eye candy games.

If you want the best looking monitors, look for an IPS panel. They have the most accurate and vibrant colors, and avoid VA panels, since they have the least. (Or at least the least of the popular panel types.)

Having a variable framerate (Freesync/G-Sync) has some great benefits, regardless of whether you're maxing out the potential of the refresh rate.

TLDR: Higher refresh = competitive gaming / Get IPS panel for AAA gaming or VA for competitive / you do want Freesync or G-Sync.

thats why i was between https://www.skroutz.gr/s/21923763/Asus-VP249QGR.html?from=account_favorites#specs with is 144hz and ips

https://www.skroutz.gr/s/15946483/AOC-Q3279VWFD8.html#specs  which is also ips 2k and 75hz. both with freesync. dunno how my 2070s will handle it though

2 minutes ago, Rodark said:

thats why i was between https://www.skroutz.gr/s/21923763/Asus-VP249QGR.html?from=account_favorites#specs with is 144hz and ips

https://www.skroutz.gr/s/15946483/AOC-Q3279VWFD8.html#specs  which is also ips 2k and 75hz. both with freesync. dunno how my 2070s will handle it though

2070 Super is a great 1440p card (it even does reasonably well in 4K, but I wouldn't expect that to last over a long period of time.)

What I'm pointing out it that the right answer will depend largely on the games you play.

Do you play primarily games like:

• CSGo, League of Legends, Overwatch, Fortnite, etc. (1080p 144hz 1ms)
  • Tomb Raider, Assassin's Creed, Jedi: Fallen Order, other AAA games (1440p IPS panel.)

5 minutes ago, trevb0t said:

2070 Super is a great 1440p card (it even does reasonably well in 4K, but I wouldn't expect that to last over a long period of time.)

What I'm pointing out it that the right answer will depend largely on the games you play.

Do you play primarily games like:

• CSGo, League of Legends, Overwatch, Fortnite, etc. (1080p 144hz 1ms)
  • Tomb Raider, Assassin's Creed, Jedi: Fallen Order, other AAA games (1440p IPS panel.)

yup 1440p seems the way to go. i rarely play online games and while i do want for example to play the new call of duty online, im pretty sure ill be ok. im mostly a single player games guy. ill probably get that aoc. yeah obviously, at some point ill swap the 2070s for the 3080 or whatever they may call it and get a better monitor, but i think this combo is good for now and for my budget. also forgot to mention that i have a 4k hdr 60hz tv and i do plan to game a little. for stuff like PES for example. again single player PES or vs locally, not online.

so since ill get a 1440p 75 hz, do i needa display port or hdmi cable? i think 144hz needs DP? what about 75hz?

31 minutes ago, Rodark said:

so since ill get a 1440p 75 hz, do i needa display port or hdmi cable? i think 144hz needs DP? what about 75hz?

I believe (though I should bone up on my research) that to utilize free/g-sync you'll need a Display Port cable.

57 minutes ago, trevb0t said:

I believe (though I should bone up on my research) that to utilize free/g-sync you'll need a Display Port cable.

ah ok! well that works for me. display port from gpu to monitor and hmdi to my tv

3 hours ago, Rodark said:

ah ok! well that works for me. display port from gpu to monitor and hmdi to my tv

That will work! There are TVs that have variable frame rates, but they are pretty high end units, and it doesnt work quite the same way.

May be worth looking into if you've got a really nice TV, too. 

1 hour ago, trevb0t said:

That will work! There are TVs that have variable frame rates, but they are pretty high end units, and it doesnt work quite the same way.

May be worth looking into if you've got a really nice TV, too. 

nah its just a regular 4k hdr 60hz tv. nothing special. gets the work done though :D