iMac G3 - Short Circuit video

I love that you guys took a look at some retro tech, especially stuff I grew up working with. My aunt is a (now retired) teacher at a private Lutheran school and she helped run their computer lab. We had a bunch of these iMacs when they were new and I remember helping her take them apart for troubleshooting and repairs. And now I keep a few on hand for fun. There's also a Low End Mac group on Facebook that's pretty active. If someone would like to join, we'd love to help you guys find an LCD screen that fits in here and get your project going. Just please don't gut this one, use an iMac that's already dead.

But some error correction is in order here.

Apple didn't use a CMOS or BIOS on those computers, that giant 1/2 AA battery (yes, it's actually called a "one half double A") was for the PRAM (parameter RAM) stored for their OpenFirmware. Yeah, OPEN FIRMWARE! You could boot into it and change settings directly if you knew how. Apple didn't want you booting these machines from USB, but if you're skilled with OpenFirmware, it could be done. There's actually some debate over which brand of batteries is decent enough to replace these in our aging machines.

Next up, that CD drive is most definitely not SCSI. These computers don't use SCSI, not even externally. You can tell it's not SCSI because there's no jumpers or wheel to select an ID number. It's ATA (or PATA or IDE, whatever tickles your fancy) with a wider ribbon to carry some control signals and power, and then the narrow part below that is a normal width ATA cable for the hard drive. Apple System Profiler will show you a lot of good information about the hardware. While there were a few more that supported it, the last Mac to boot from internal SCSI (at least by default) was the Power Macintosh 9600/350. While the 9600 did run a PowerPC processor, it was older than the G3 in this iMac. And this wasn't even close to the last generation of PowerPC computers Apple put out. This was a model from about 2000, the iMac G4 and G5 were two newer generations that came out before the Intel transition to X86.

Finally, also relating to the slot load CD, you can eject it by sticking a straightened paperclip into the right side. Those drives die with age, we have a few workarounds and repairs we've learned for them to keep them running.

Now PLEASE come join us on LEM so we can help you with that mod!

aRdqiWVA.jpeg

@AlexTheGreatish

Pre-Intel Macs are over my head, but it's cool to see how passionate you guys are about them.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

10 hours ago, Stumblr said:

~snip~

Yeah, it turns out during my research one of my sources got basically everything wrong (SCSI, last PowerPC, CMOS) and unfortunately I passed on some of that info.  For the CD drive through I'm pretty sure the computer needs to be powered for the paperclip to work.

Please do more content like this! I agree that something with either you or Anthony would be quite interesting, but there's a more pressing matter. Did you recover the CD??

18 hours ago, Stumblr said:

There's also a Low End Mac group on Facebook that's pretty active

hmmm...I should join this to get some help on getting my B&W g3 and my G5 running.

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

🍎 iPad Air2; iPhone SE 2020; iPhone 5s; AppleTV 4k 🍎

I wouldnt worry too much about the mistakes Alex, the video has us all talking about the G3 again which is good. It was a good video and I enjoyed it.

Maybe a slot in another G3/LEM video for "things we learnt" from the community since our last video?

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

A correction for your corrections.

CMOS stands for Complimentary Metal Oxide Semiconducter, BIOS for Basic Input Output System. Regardless of which firmware they used the firmware would be stored on a CMOS on the board and it was acting as a BIOS since it controlled the basic I/O of the system during power on. They might not call it a CMOS or a BIOS, that doesn't mean it isn't one. Apple have a history of renaming existing things to make them sound exclusive, Computer > Mac, Motherboard > Logic Board etc.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

11 minutes ago, NineEyeRon said:

I wouldnt worry too much about the mistakes Alex, the video has us all talking about the G3 again which is good. It was a good video and I enjoyed it.

Maybe a slot in another G3/LEM video for "things we learnt" from the community since our last video?

I would like to see an update or correction video.. the G3 as the last PowerPC error is especially egregious with the G5 being mentioned a number of times when..."discussing" Apple's possible migration to an ARM processor and I think, even, Alex mentioning how he thought the G5 was abandoned soon after launch by the switch to intel, which really isn't how it went down.

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

🍎 iPad Air2; iPhone SE 2020; iPhone 5s; AppleTV 4k 🍎