3D Rendering Project

Matty2048

hello all,

For a school project i am creating a 3D object viewer using OpenGL, what features would you consider to be key for such a project? Any responses would be appreciated.

-matty 

If you judge a fish based on its ability to climb trees it will go its whole life thinking its a failure.

I am planning on using assimp to load the models 

If you judge a fish based on its ability to climb trees it will go its whole life thinking its a failure.

- Being able to rotate the model would be nice 

- A  panel with some info on the 3D model (filename, location, amount of vetexes/polygons, size, etc.)

- buttons to quickly look at the object from the top/bottom/left/right would be nice to have

- Turn on/off a light

- Render modes which show the edges of the vertexes/polygons

- 'Proxy mode' (basically a way to render a simplification/low 'res' version of the file to render quickly).

Those are some of the things I would want to have in a 3D model viewer. Probably ranged from 'easily added/necessary features' to 'cool to have/great to show off your prowess as a programmer'.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

thanks! 

Do you have any ideas when it comes to shaders/lighting effects?

3 hours ago, Matty2048 said:

Do you have any ideas when it comes to shaders/lighting effects?

bloom/glow

shadow mapping

ಠ_ಠ

That's a large project for school work. Just getting the polygons display properly is a huge task. If a triangle is half behind another one you need to only draw it partially and the Z order won't help you.

That being said the easier to implement and can be tweaked alot is the post processing part. Anything, anti-alias, super scale, smoothing, bloom, color temps, sharpen, blur.

33 minutes ago, Franck said:

If a triangle is half behind another one you need to only draw it partially and the Z order won't help you.

That's what the Z buffer is for.

ಠ_ಠ

18 hours ago, shadow_ray said:

That's what the Z buffer is for.

You can have a triangle with a larger Z buffer than another triangle that pass over a lower Z buffer one.

1 hour ago, Franck said:

You can have a triangle with a larger Z buffer than another triangle that pass over a lower Z buffer one.

I don't quite understand what do you mean. The depth buffer has the same dimensions as the rendered image, there is a depth value for each pixel, but you don't even have to deal with it just enable GL_DEPTH_TEST and OpenGL will take care of it.

When 2 triangle is on top of each other (or really close) that's can cause stitching, but it's more like a modelling issue.

ಠ_ಠ

yeah ive already managed to get a model loaded and displayed with opengl no problems.

zooming, orbiting, panning,

wireframe

wireframe and textured (if program support texturing)

wireframe & untextured

playing animations if it has them with pausing & skipping about, adjusting speed.

Would anyone consider being an end user for this project? i'd just need to ask a few more targeted questions 

4 hours ago, Matty2048 said:

Would anyone consider being an end user for this project? i'd just need to ask a few more targeted questions 

you can count on me

ಠ_ಠ

21 hours ago, DevBlox said:

If it'll build on Linux, I'd sure have a try.

probably not cos id be using a few external libraries for it which im not sure if they will

21 hours ago, shadow_ray said:

you can count on me