Super Mario 64 ported to PC

Can/does this have implication for other games? Like, could these methods be used by Nintendo to port games to PC?

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

🍎 iPad Air2; iPhone SE 2020; iPhone 5s; AppleTV 4k 🍎

IF, Hypothetically, one were to have acquired a copy of this "Program", how would one map a PS4 controller to it? Hypothetically speaking, of course, since Presumably the config file doesn't even allow one to set fullscreen to TRUE. 

oops. doublepost.

Edited by Drakkon_Sol
doublepost, not sure how to delete.

5 minutes ago, Drakkon_Sol said:

IF, Hypothetically, one were to have acquired a copy of this "Program", how would one map a PS4 controller to it? Hypothetically speaking, of course, since Presumably the config file doesn't even allow one to set fullscreen to TRUE. 

It should be automatically detected

13 hours ago, Video Beagle said:

Can/does this have implication for other games? Like, could these methods be used by Nintendo to port games to PC?

Nintendo themselves could port their games to whatever platforms they want. There's never been anything preventing them (outside of them not wanting to). They have the source code and everything to fully release the games.

As for other games, there's a similar project using Metroid Prime called URDE and another team is working on Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask, but those are super early.

Say in theory I know someone who's stuck home sick and would like to play this. Where would, in theory, someone acquire this?

On 5/4/2020 at 10:17 AM, Tristerin said:

I need this to let my kids mess around in a 3D world with joysticks.

Oh god, I’ve wasted to many hours as a child doing this on old gen consoles.

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

On 5/4/2020 at 10:44 AM, handymanshandle said:

Can't wait for Nintendo to over-react to this

You'd think if there's such a demand for Mario 64 that Nintendo feels threatened by free tech demos... they'd just release a port or remake the game.

#Muricaparrotgang

Just now, JZStudios said:

You'd think if there's such a demand for Mario 64 that Nintendo feels threatened by free tech demos... they'd just release a port or remake the game.

Nintendo makes questionable decisions, to say the least. Like not re-releasing GameCube games for emulation on the Switch officially.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

16 hours ago, Video Beagle said:

I saw a screenshot of Metroid Prime running on a 2070 the other day. Not sure when that'll be released nor do I have the screenshot on me but that's a thing.

It was also running at 44FPS instead of the rock solid 60FPS the Gamecube runs it at lmao

50 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Say in theory I know someone who's stuck home sick and would like to play this. Where would, in theory, someone acquire this?

In theory, there are ways.  In some possible reality, I found it, tested it, and it works well.  If I can find it, you can possibly do it too.  And it's still available, based on Ambassador Spock's best guess.  I am sorry but I am not permitted to tell you anything else.

1 hour ago, Bitter said:

The only way is getting the source code directly from the people who ported it like on their discord server or through 4chan leeks but the 4chan leeks mainly mario.exe are a very outdated version and really should not be played

On 5/5/2020 at 5:12 PM, linkboy said:

Nintendo themselves could port their games to whatever platforms they want. There's never been anything preventing them (outside of them not wanting to). They have the source code and everything to fully release the games.

Wouldn't there need to be some kind of system..emulation or whatever..to make it work on pc though?

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

🍎 iPad Air2; iPhone SE 2020; iPhone 5s; AppleTV 4k 🍎

1 hour ago, Video Beagle said:

Wouldn't there need to be some kind of system..emulation or whatever..to make it work on pc though?

You don't need emulation when you have the source code, is just a matter of tweaking the code in order to support the compiler and libraries, now what they need to change depends a lot on the code itself, it could a matter of changing a couple lines or even the majority of the project.

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

7 hours ago, AlexGoesHigh said:

You don't need emulation when you have the source code, is just a matter of tweaking the code in order to support the compiler and libraries, now what they need to change depends a lot on the code itself, it could a matter of changing a couple lines or even the majority of the project.

You would also need to convert code that runs on n64 specific hardware like the rsp and rdp.

On 5/6/2020 at 11:36 AM, JZStudios said:

They should, they won’t. The games I’ve enjoyed most recently were the reboots of Crash and Spyro. 

I’m playing this at the moment and I never played the original (just the DS remake) and it would be an instant buy if it was released officially with updated graphics. I’d also stop playing the unofficial one and await the offical one. Just such a lack of great 3D paltformers on PC.

18 minutes ago, Dredgy said:

They should, they won’t. The games I’ve enjoyed most recently were the reboots of Crash and Spyro. 

I’m playing this at the moment and I never played the original (just the DS remake) and it would be an instant buy if it was released officially with updated graphics. I’d also stop playing the unofficial one and await the offical one. Just such a lack of great 3D paltformers on PC.

I recently played Yooka Laylee and the Impossible Lair. It's more Donkey Kong Country style, but it was enjoyable.

#Muricaparrotgang

19 hours ago, SansVarnic said:

-= Topic to moved to General Discussion =-

@LinuxTerm topic does not meet posting requirements for the Tech News Subforum, please refer to the guidelines and update appropriately. Once completed please notify a Mod to move back.

I edited the post to include the sources and citations

On 5/4/2020 at 2:02 PM, Austinham said:

umm, How is there a speed boost from not emulating the N64 if Pentium 3 system can emulate just about any if not all n64 games at 60FPS. A modern system would be 1000FPS+  The rest of what you stated can be done in a emu. The only real benefit here is adding stuff to the game or modding it.

N64 is notoriously difficult to emulate properly. Even stuff like the Pi 4 can't run everything without dropping frames. Sure, very janky emulators ran on PIII systems that only supported a handful of games, but that's not a great experience.

Additionally, nobody is running "just about any" N64 game at 60 or 1000 FPS. Almost all games on the platform run somewhere around 15-30 FPS. If you force higher frame rates, you break the game.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

3 minutes ago, Nayr438 said:

And it has begun http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2020/05/nintendo_cracks_down_on_the_super_mario_64_pc_port

It was only a matter of time.

People are always making re-makes, shaders, mods, etc... for this game. Nintendo always flips out and cracks down on it.

The project itself is 100% legal because it just contains a clean room rewrite of the mips disassembly code and gets the assets by "extracting" them from the rom but what nintendo is trying to remove are distributions of the precompiled pc port which are not legal 

On 5/6/2020 at 3:36 AM, JZStudios said:

19 hours ago, Dredgy said:

They should, they won’t

Technically you can buy Mario 64 from them right now and play it on virtual console on the wii/wii u, or you can play the remake SM64 DS. I also heard there will be a remake of the game for their 35th anniversary for the switch, apparently also SM Sunshine and Galaxy. Not sure where you are getting "they won't" from because they will and already have. Nintendo is not without fault for sure, and even though it's kind of a cash grab when they milk these old games, I will probably just buy them anyways, because at the end of the day I want to just turn on my switch and play these games with new graphics.

2 hours ago, merco said:

Technically you can buy Mario 64 from them right now and play it on virtual console on the wii/wii u, or you can play the remake SM64 DS.

I thought the Wii shop was completely shut down? I've also never had a DS, and playing a game on a portable isn't my version of ideal, they could even just port the DS version, instead they're too busy DMCA'ing every single fan remake in UE4 that wasn't ever going to be released.

#Muricaparrotgang

3 minutes ago, JZStudios said:

I thought the Wii shop was completely shut down? I've also never had a DS, and playing a game on a portable isn't my version of ideal, they could even just port the DS version, instead they're too busy DMCA'ing every single fan remake in UE4 that wasn't ever going to be released.

I'm not sure tbh, I just saw it up on nintendo.de for 10€. Definitely not gonna defend nintendo's legal practices either, but I'm looking forward to the switch remake at least.