Vega 64 ryzen 5 1600 bad performance

Cyphuss

I just got this pc custom built a few days ago and i see it isn't performing very well as i see in other peoples benchmarks

GPU:MSI Radeon RX Vega 64 Airboost 8G OC

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 3.2 GHZ

RAM:16 GB

Windows 10 education

I have looked on user benchmark and the bottleneck isn't that high so i'm not sure whats going on

I also already did a reset but that didn't really help the games i'm having trouble with a re mostly fortnite battlefield v and gta 5

at this point my 1650 max q laptop performs better.

1600 is slow as balls without an OC, it will go to all-core 3.3ghz. Even with the spire, it can do 3.8 pretty easily without any offset or only a small amount. Mine can do 3.8 @ +.156 offset (around 1.38v) but its not a great sample.

The Vega 64, as well, sucks from the factory. Especially the blower models. Undervolt it a little, increase power limit, and ramp up fan curve.

Also, all those games you listed are heavily reliant on single threaded performance. In which case the 1600 is an underdog. Overclock it.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

What do you have you power plan set to?

did you check your drivers? 

temps? 

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

Why are you people always hurrying  to provide a solution without having a problem? :P

OP first of all tells us what FPS you get on which game at what settings and resolution

or/and tell us what benchmarks you run and what are your scores on them ? 

Just now, papajo said:

Why are you people always hurrying  to provide a solution without having a problem? :P

OP first of all tells us what FPS you get on which game at what settings and resolution

or/and tell us what benchmarks you run and what are your scores on them ? 

because from personal experience and data i can tell you that both of those products require user end tweaking to not suck.

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

3 minutes ago, Mister Woof said:

because from personal experience and data i can tell you that both of those products require user end tweaking to not suck.

what do you mean both of them dont suck that's very subjective of you.

Also even if this case is true OP says or atleast he thinks that they suck more (since he compares them with other similar hardware systems and many of the benchmarks or videos of reviews of them are on stock anyway)

And that's the reason you need to have data..

People can be wrong/subjective/opinionated/biased etc... data is objective though. 

3 minutes ago, papajo said:

what do you mean both of them dont suck that's very subjective of you.

Also even if this case is true OP says or atleast he thinks that they suck more (since he compares them with other similar hardware systems and many of the benchmarks or videos of reviews of them are on stock anyway)

And that's the reason you need to have data..

People can be wrong/subjective/opinionated/biased etc... data is objective though. 

Okay, i'll give you that we could use more data. So touche.

But I already know that a 1600 at stock will perform probably worse than even an intel laptop in single core performance (games), and i know that a vega64 stock (especially a blower) will throttle itself because the default settings are terrible.

These suggestions are necessary either way.

5 minutes ago, Mister Woof said:

Okay, i'll give you that we could use more data. So touche.

But I already know that a 1600 at stock will perform probably worse than even an intel laptop in single core performance (games), and i know that a vega64 stock (especially a blower) will throttle itself because the default settings are terrible.

These suggestions are necessary either way.

again all that is subjective.... a vega 64 blowerstyle can play most of the modern games at high settings just fine the fact that there might be ways to tune it better or other versions with better cooling solutions that allow for a higher OC doesnt mean that it sucks... something doesnt suck if it can become better...

Same goes for the 1600 its a fine CPU for its money actually its a very popular choice among low budget gamers exactly because it doesnt suck compared to the money you spend... is it slower than more expensive CPU of course .. can it be faster if overclocked? yea... both of those arguments dont point that it sucks...

Something sucks if its not worth its money or if it doesnt do what it is supposed to do. So both of those pieces of hardware dont suck.  

2 minutes ago, papajo said:

again all that is subjective.... a vega 64 blowerstyle can play most of the modern games at high settings just fine the fact that there might be ways to tune it better or other versions with better cooling solutions that allow for a higher OC doesnt mean that it sucks... something doesnt suck if it can become better...

Same goes for the 1600 its a fine CPU for its money actually its a very popular choice among low budget gamers exactly because it doesnt suck compared to the money you spend... is it slower than more expensive CPU of course .. can it be faster if overclocked? yea... both of those arguments dont point that it sucks...

Something sucks if its not worth its money or if it doesnt do what it is supposed to do. So both of those pieces of hardware dont suck.  

I never said they were bad in absolutes....I own both of them and they're great parts. They just need user adjustment to be at their best. I gave some suggestions on how to make them work better, from personal experience.

On 4/24/2020 at 3:32 PM, scuff gang said:

What do you have you power plan set to?

did you check your drivers? 

temps? 

Power plan is set to high performance and my temps are usually around 60-70

On 4/24/2020 at 3:32 PM, Mister Woof said:

1600 is slow as balls without an OC, it will go to all-core 3.3ghz. Even with the spire, it can do 3.8 pretty easily without any offset or only a small amount. Mine can do 3.8 @ +.156 offset (around 1.38v) but its not a great sample.

The Vega 64, as well, sucks from the factory. Especially the blower models. Undervolt it a little, increase power limit, and ramp up fan curve.

Also, all those games you listed are heavily reliant on single threaded performance. In which case the 1600 is an underdog. Overclock it.

Im not very familiar with overclocking if you could maybe link a tutorial on how to overclock my CPU safely without it blue screening.

41 minutes ago, Cyphuss said:

Im not very familiar with overclocking if you could maybe link a tutorial on how to overclock my CPU safely without it blue screening.

Youtube has a ton of resources, heres one for the 1600 (i didn't review it, but Paul's Hardware is pretty good)

Vega 64: note that the adrenaline driver looks a little different now

Principles stay same. Or you can just try out the Autotuning "Undervolt GPU" and see how it works. That alone probably will improve performance.

36 minutes ago, Mister Woof said:

Youtube has a ton of resources, heres one for the 1600 (i didn't review it, but Paul's Hardware is pretty good)

Vega 64: note that the adrenaline driver looks a little different now

Principles stay same. Or you can just try out the Autotuning "Undervolt GPU" and see how it works. That alone probably will improve performance.

Thanks for your help!

13 minutes ago, Cyphuss said:

Thanks for your help!

make sure your ram is set to dual channel, DOCP/XMP is enabled, and you are running the latest drivers.

if that isn't enough, you can try overclocking. 

really it might be as simple as going into the BIOS, changing the CPU multiplier to 37, and clicking the undervolt button in adrenaline for your gpu.

34 minutes ago, Mister Woof said:

make sure your ram is set to dual channel, DOCP/XMP is enabled, and you are running the latest drivers.

really it might be as simple as going into the BIOS, changing the CPU multiplier to 37, and clicking the undervolt button in adrenaline for your gpu.

Yeah its dual channel and all my drivers are up to date im gonna try to oc my cpu a tiny

6 hours ago, Mister Woof said:

i have a b450m ds3h motherboard its version is F4 but anyways im gonna OC my cpu but cant find any voltage increasing in the bios.

7 hours ago, Mister Woof said:

Okay hey i just overclocked my cpu to 3.8 ghz and 1.35 voltage and im getting low fps on gtav still for some reason my cpu usage is in the 30's and my gpu in the 40's gpu is at 70c temp so not sure whats going on and im not using radeon chill or anything that limits my fps

On 4/25/2020 at 12:29 AM, Cyphuss said:

I have looked on user benchmark and the bottleneck isn't that high so i'm not sure whats going on

Forget that shit. No Website can tell you what bottlenecks and by how much.
And these "Bottleneck calculators" are completely entirely garbate, waste of bits.

What bottlenecsk and by how much depends on what software (Games) you use, what settings, what resolution. Period. Nothing else.

You can play Games in 4k, and a 9900K can still bottleneck. Huge cities in city skylines, etc for example.
And you can play games in 1080p Medium where your Vega will bottleneck.

entirely different bottleneck situation, with the exact s a me Hardware. Just with different Games.

Ask yourself one thing: Do you have ANY problems when you play your games?
What kind of problems do you have? How do you notice them?

Did you check how high your GPU Usage is? As long your GPU usage is 100%, your CPU is not a bottleneck.

The other way around doesn't work tho. You can NOT see in Task Manager on your CPU-Usage, if your CPU is a bottleneck or not.

Your CPU can bottleneck even at 10-15% usage. Just check the GPU usage: close to 100%: Everything is fine, because a GPU Bottleneck is what you want. Less than 90-95% usage, and your CPU most likely bottlenecks it IN THIS SITUATION (in different Games, it could not be the case).

Still: I recommend overclocking the 1600 to 3,8 or at least 3,7 Ghz, and a moderate voltage for that (don't go too much).
And look up some Vega 64 OC/UV threads in multiple forums for some Numbers. Since you have the worst Model probably (Reference blower cooler), this thing is extremely loud, and throttles. You want a quite strong Undervolt there, to bring the Heat down. The less heat it has, the better it can Boost and keep it's clocks.

Usually, when Undervolting this Model, you automatically gain more performance, just because of that better Boost.

5 hours ago, Cyphuss said:

Okay hey i just overclocked my cpu to 3.8 ghz and 1.35 voltage and im getting low fps on gtav still for some reason my cpu usage is in the 30's and my gpu in the 40's gpu is at 70c temp so not sure whats going on and im not using radeon chill or anything that limits my fps

Define low

Has it improved at all after changes

CPU usage can be deceptive on higher core/thread count CPUs in games that aren't well multithreaded

Are you running games off of a HDD or ssd

What's your power supply? V64 needs lots of quality power.

Are you on high performance power plan

What other software are you running at the same time

Are you using a 60hz display and are you playing with vsync

Did you ramp up fan curve? Are you monitoring GPU hbm temperature? That metric is important and you want it under 80-85

This is my ryzen 1600 and vega 64. Its on ultimate setings Even new cards strugle with this setings.

On ultra setings fps go 60 to 80

3 hours ago, Mister Woof said:

Define low

CPU usage can be deceptive on higher core/thread count CPUs in games that aren't well multithreaded

Did you ramp up fan curve? Are you monitoring GPU hbm temperature? That metric is important and you want it under 80-85

Im running my games off my hdd which is like a terabyte

8 hours ago, Darkseth said:

Forget that shit. No Website can tell you what bottlenecks and by how much.
And these "Bottleneck calculators" are completely entirely garbate, waste of bits.

What bottlenecsk and by how much depends on what software (Games) you use, what settings, what resolution. Period. Nothing else.

You can play Games in 4k, and a 9900K can still bottleneck. Huge cities in city skylines, etc for example.
And you can play games in 1080p Medium where your Vega will bottleneck.

entirely different bottleneck situation, with the exact s a me Hardware. Just with different Games.

Ask yourself one thing: Do you have ANY problems when you play your games?
What kind of problems do you have? How do you notice them?

Did you check how high your GPU Usage is? As long your GPU usage is 100%, your CPU is not a bottleneck.

The other way around doesn't work tho. You can NOT see in Task Manager on your CPU-Usage, if your CPU is a bottleneck or not.

Your CPU can bottleneck even at 10-15% usage. Just check the GPU usage: close to 100%: Everything is fine, because a GPU Bottleneck is what you want. Less than 90-95% usage, and your CPU most likely bottlenecks it IN THIS SITUATION (in different Games, it could not be the case).

Still: I recommend overclocking the 1600 to 3,8 or at least 3,7 Ghz, and a moderate voltage for that (don't go too much).
And look up some Vega 64 OC/UV threads in multiple forums for some Numbers. Since you have the worst Model probably (Reference blower cooler), this thing is extremely loud, and throttles. You want a quite strong Undervolt there, to bring the Heat down. The less heat it has, the better it can Boost and keep it's clocks.

Usually, when Undervolting this Model, you automatically gain more performance, just because of that better Boost.

Already Overclocked it to 3.8 ghz and still get 50 fps gpu usage is around the 40's and cpu is in the 30's it just made my usage go down

Define low

No it actually kind of decreased my performance

running off hdd

Not sure what PSU i have

im on high performance power plan

i was using no other softwares everything was closed

im on a 75 hz monitor yes i used v-sync

Define low

Also i overclocked using Ryzen master because i really cant see anything that changes my voltage in the bios