Can't get ram up to it's advertised 3200Mhz

I've got:

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 AF (12nm) Pinnacle Ridge

RAM: G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200Mhz C16
Motherboard: ASRock B450m/ac

For some reason no matter what I do, i cannot get my memory to operate at it's advertised 3200Mhz speed. For some reason, it's stuck at 2133 Mhz.

• I've tried putting the ram into A2, B2 and it simply doesn't post if i do that, or if it does it will only detect one of the sticks. I have to put them into A1 and B1 for them to even come up. I have a feeling that the DIMMs may be mislabeled? Or perhaps I'm misinterpreting something.
  • I've already updated my motherboard bios to the latest version (see the provided CPU-Z "Mainboard" screenshot).
  • I've tried enabling XMP in the bios, and i've tried changing the clock speed in the bios. It doesn't seem to do anything. But the BIOS isn't incredibly intuitive, maybe someone here knows how to use it better than I do?

According to the motherboard specifications, it should support running at 3200Mhz

AMD Ryzen series CPUs (Pinnacle Ridge) support DDR4 3200+(OC) / 2933(OC) / 2667 / 2400 / 2133 ECC & non-ECC, un-buffered memory*

The odd thing about this is that further down on that same page, they have this which indicates that pinnacle ridge isn't able to run at 3200 Mhz?
image.png.fbc9f6112c44aea77adcd2c8505ad082.png

image.png.fbc785c7e10c60a4515130abf26d785e.png

image.png.d202eff46497c2aeaa7b96dd19995d2b.png

image.png.728ac2bb5c4f5bd934db1199645695cf.png

image.png.2058c8c258e7a54cfb3fdc041a43211f.png

2 minutes ago, MrFisc said:

For some reason no matter what I do, i cannot get my memory to operate at it's advertised 3200Mhz speed. For some reason, it's stuck at 2133 Mhz.

Have you turned on XMP?

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

People forget that if it's not on the motherboard manufacturer's QVL, there's no guarantee that it will overclock. This is especially true with Zen and Zen+. Use Ryzen DRAM Calculator and manually enter in the safe timings. Watch the whole video before doing anything.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

1 hour ago, minibois said:

Have you turned on XMP?

I just updated my post, i think i have. The BIOS isn't super intuitive. 

put them in slots 2 and 4, enable xmp and then manually lower the frequency to 2933 and it should work. you won't be able to run it at 3200 with a r5 1600.

1 hour ago, boggy77 said:

put them in slots 2 and 4, enable xmp and then manually lower the frequency to 2933 and it should work. you won't be able to run it at 3200 with a r5 1600.

I can't even get it to post with them in slots 2/4 (which are labeled as A2,B2)

Just now, boggy77 said:

Its an AF version of the 1600 apparently, so really Zen+ so he might be able to. I have a 2700X that has my RAM running at XMP 3600 CL16 with no tweaking whatsoever.

2 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

I just built a system with the same BIOS that did. It's absolutely possible.

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

When you set the XMP profile setting in the OCTweaker section in the BIOS, what voltage does it say the ram is trying to run at? If it says 1.35 or something like that, try it at 1.4

1 hour ago, Benji said:

What you could also do is try to update the BIOS, maybe there is some issue that it won't apply the XMP profile.

I've already updated the bios to the latest version 1.70

1 hour ago, JoostinOnline said:

People forget that if it's not on the motherboard manufacturer's QVL, there's no guarantee that it will overclock. This is especially true with Zen and Zen+. Use Ryzen DRAM Calculator and manually enter in the safe timings. Watch the whole video before doing anything.

I tried following this guide and entered the "Safe" timings into my bios, still stuck at 2133 :( 

55 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

It depends on the individual chip and motherboard - my 1600AE has run 3200 on two different kits of 2x8 3200mhz cl16 - one is samsung and one was sk hynix 

this is on a gigabyte b450 aorus m, but my old X370 couldn't do either of these kits at 2666 even.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

1 hour ago, Mister Woof said:

It depends on the individual chip and motherboard - my 1600AE has run 3200 on two different kits of 2x8 3200mhz cl16 - one is samsung and one was sk hynix 

this is on a gigabyte b450 aorus m, but my old X370 couldn't do either of these kits at 2666 even.

My last computer was running a Ryzen 5 2600 with this exact ram and had no problems, but that was on a gigabyte b450 aorus as well, not this ASRock board i'm using now.

Just now, MrFisc said:

My last computer was running a Ryzen 5 2600 with this exact ram and had no problems, but that was on a gigabyte b450 aorus as well, not this ASRock board i'm using now.

Interestingly the X370 i couldn't get to run well was a Gigabyte too.

I believe it's just so much hit or miss with these boards and memory. Meanwhile, my Intel systems have worked with every memory kit I've thrown at them with no effort.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

39 minutes ago, MrFisc said:

I tried following this guide and entered the "Safe" timings into my bios, still stuck at 2133 :( 

You also need to disable XMP. It will take a few attempts to boot up properly as well.

I've reviewed the QVL for the motherboard and i think it just doesn't support it.

I'm using F4-3200C16-8GTZR, they don't specifically list this however all other G.SKILL ram that's 3200 seems to be limited in a similar way. :(