GPU Nickel Plated waterblock

Hi everyone. Just got this EKWB on Ebay. I have a Gigabyte 980 ti G1 gaming gpu so this was my only option as they don't sell these new obviously. I opened the water block and saw this. Is this anything to be concerned about? Can I clean it? Any info would be very helpful. This ia my first custom loop. Thanks! 

IMG_20200420_180427.jpg

IMG_20200420_180405.jpg

16 minutes ago, namarino said:

Looks like the nickel plating has failed and the copper beneath it is showing up due to the previous user running either aggressive coolant (like primochill vue) or something without anti-corrosives (just distilled water, for example). This plating is likely to continue to flake over time and I don't think there is much you can do about it apart from run some decent coolant and prevent any more damage to it.

If it does happen to be some caked on layer (unlikely due to the way it looks) a bit of chrome polish may be worth using to investigate if it cleans off, doubtful though.

29 minutes ago, For Science! said:

Looks like the nickel plating has failed and the copper beneath it is showing up due to the previous user running either aggressive coolant (like primochill vue) or something without anti-corrosives (just distilled water, for example). This plating is likely to continue to flake over time and I don't think there is much you can do about it apart from run some decent coolant and prevent any more damage to it.

If it does happen to be some caked on layer (unlikely due to the way it looks) a bit of chrome polish may be worth using to investigate if it cleans off, doubtful though.

So will this be a big problem going forward? Or should I be good as long as I use a good coolant? 

9 minutes ago, namarino said:

So will this be a big problem going forward? Or should I be good as long as I use a good coolant? 

I don't think it will be the cause of any leaks for example (assuming you don't use an aluminium radiator), if the nickel continues to flake it might accumulate on the fins of some other block later so you may have more cleaning to do later down the line, but I think in terms of performance it should be fine.

2 hours ago, For Science! said:

I don't think it will be the cause of any leaks for example (assuming you don't use an aluminium radiator), if the nickel continues to flake it might accumulate on the fins of some other block later so you may have more cleaning to do later down the line, but I think in terms of performance it should be fine.

Ok great. One last question for ya. Will those nickel flakes cause issues for my pump and cpu block other than accumulating in the fins? 

4 minutes ago, namarino said:

Ok great. One last question for ya. Will those nickel flakes cause issues for my pump and cpu block other than accumulating in the fins? 

Not sure, certainly shrapnel rubbing against the pump doesn't sound like a good idea, but yet again, I don't know if you will get actual flakes of metal running through or whether its on a more microscopic scale. Therefore I can't commit to an answer for you unfortunately.

Can anyone else help out with this? Am I good to use this block or will it damage my other components?

1 hour ago, namarino said:

Can anyone else help out with this? Am I good to use this block or will it damage my other components?

16 minutes ago, For Science! said:

Summoning @SolarNova

Greetings.

My old 780 Classified ran in a loop for over 5 years without a corrosion inhibitor (just distilled + biocide), not a good idea but the loop ran fine.

After i broke it down for an upgrade my GPU block was worse than what u have, but it still ran fine. Had some minor buildup in the CPU block around the fins likely from the plating but nothing major. That was 5 years of running.

I still use the CPU block, and my pump is fine (D5 vario), its been running at setting 5 (of 5), max speed, since i got it.

See below.

Spoiler

IMG_20190325_165946.thumb.jpg.83ba4904835449fb0ee6de549fd891b6.jpgIMG_20190320_124302.thumb.jpg.19c3cb399d782170c961e634cfeb32e9.jpg

Give it a clean, use some very mild abrasive, like toothpaste, and soft brush ..like a toothbrush. that will get rid of any flaky nickel plating. Then make sure all the o-ring mating surfaces are flat (not flaking) and put it back together, give it a leak test and ur sorted.

Make sure to run an corrosion inhibitor when u build the loop back up.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

29 minutes ago, SolarNova said:

Greetings.

My old 780 Classified ran in a loop for over 5 years without a corrosion inhibitor (just distilled + biocide), not a good idea but the loop ran fine.

After i broke it down for an upgrade my GPU block was worse than what u have, but it still ran fine. Had some minor buildup in the CPU block around the fins likely from the plating but nothing major. That was 5 years of running.

I still use the CPU block, and my pump is fine (D5 vario), its been running at setting 5 (of 5), max speed, since i got it.

See below.

Reveal hidden contents

IMG_20190325_165946.thumb.jpg.83ba4904835449fb0ee6de549fd891b6.jpgIMG_20190320_124302.thumb.jpg.19c3cb399d782170c961e634cfeb32e9.jpg

Give it a clean, use some very mild abrasive, like toothpaste, and soft brush ..like a toothbrush. that will get rid of any flaky nickel plating. Then make sure all the o-ring mating surfaces are flat (not flaking) and put it back together, give it a leak test and ur sorted.

Make sure to run an corrosion inhibitor when u build the loop back up.

Ok great! Glad I can still use it. Thank you all so much for the information, I really appreciate it!!