Is ip logging legal?

ManosMax13
2 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

It doesn't really matter if you were bluffing or not, and the fact that they were children could poitentially get you into extra legal trouble.

I am not an adult i am still a teen most people that played the game are like 2 years younger or less

1 minute ago, ManosMax13 said:

No but after explaining there is no malicious intent and we actually live thousands km away so we were bluffing there is no reason to arrest us.

yes there is,  they can and do,  you can't say you were joking after the fact as if that makes everything O.K.  once the crime is committed it can't be undone with words.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

2 minutes ago, ManosMax13 said:

No but after explaining there is no malicious intent and we actually live thousands km away so we were bluffing there is no reason to arrest us.

Yes there is. The reason is wasting their time. Like I said, if they go to your house, they will find a reason even if it doesn't stick. Cops don't have a sense of humor. 

Ok guys I did not know it was THAT WRONG because if someone did this to me I would be like good one can you teach me how. So I did not understand that it was such a big deal as I might confess I feel different about these things than most people. I will not do it again, and I am sorry for making you angry as I didnt wanna cause any arguments.

Sorry and hope you understand and excuse me,I just still think that what I did is still better than what most 16 year olds do when they wanna be mean as it was a harmless prank with lots of bluffing that only seemed intimidating.

3 minutes ago, Blue4130 said:

Yes there is. The reason is wasting their time. Like I said, if they go to your house, they will find a reason even if it doesn't stick. Cops don't have a sense of humor. 

4 minutes ago, mr moose said:

yes there is,  they can and do,  you can't say you were joking after the fact as if that makes everything O.K.  once the crime is committed it can't be undone with words.

4 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

You're 16 and intimidating younger children, threatening them, and other acts at 16 can get you tried as an adult in a lot of countries.

See post above

46 minutes ago, minibois said:

Harassment and intimidation is not a joke.

Plus some of this could fall under invasion of privacy/doxxing.

44 minutes ago, The1Dickens said:

A.) That sounds super creepy and not at all funny. Especially with children.

B.) Pretty sure that information is illegal to obtain for anyone under the age of legal adult in whatever region (sounds exactly like what YouTube just went through recently)

C.) The host of the server is under no obligation to allow access for any reason. They could not like the second M in your screen name and ban you for that.

My advice: accept the loss, lessons learned, and don't do that again.

8 minutes ago, AMD1234 said:

Post this on AITA if you think you are in the right and see what happens

8 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Maybe we should give OP's IP to the police. Public information, right? No harm in doing so.

See the last thing I wrote.

1 minute ago, Blue4130 said:

There only three types of cop:

1. the good ones will make your life as difficult as they can because it's plain to see you are needing some sort of behavior altering event in your life.

2. the bad cops who will make your life miserable because they can

3. the stupid cops who will throw everything they can at you to get their quota up.

Basically in this situation you are fucked if they are involved.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

1 minute ago, valdyrgramr said:

Look OP, you're honestly better off telling your parents what you did rather than consulting a tech forum anyways.   Because they might be needing to talk to a lawyer over this, and a lawyer would clarify your questions for your country's laws on the matter backed by international law on the matter.

I have talked to my mother and since there havent been any form of reason to believe that anything will happen I will not proceed to any sort of action with a lawyer for now.

2 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

Look OP, you're honestly better off telling your parents what you did rather than consulting a tech forum anyways.   Because they might be needing to talk to a lawyer over this, and a lawyer would clarify your questions for your country's laws on the matter backed by international law on the matter.

My mom just kept yelling at me that we are gonna get sued and stuff so I shit my pants a bit.

Ok guys I did not know it was THAT WRONG because if someone did this to me I would be like good one can you teach me how. So I did not understand that it was such a big deal as I might confess I feel different about these things that most people. I will not do it again, and I am sorry to for making you angry as I didnt wanna cause any arguments.

Sorry and hope you understand and excuse me,I just still think that what I did is still better than what most 16 year olds do when they wanna be mean as it was a harmless prank with lots of bluffing that only seemed intimidating.

Please think about your own actions and their consequences, without resorting to how much less bad they are compared to what others do.

"Well what they did was much worse!" is just about the worst excuse you could have.

Reading the first bit of your post made me actually thing you regret doing this, but now I see you're still looking for someone to say "Nah, it wasn't that bad!".

This was not a harmless prank, it was one with intend on scaring the person you were pranking. That is far from a practical joke.

It seems like saying "put yourself in their shoes" would not be worthwhile advice, since I don't think you understand the seriousness of your actions.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

4 minutes ago, ManosMax13 said:

Ok guys I did not know it was THAT WRONG because if someone did this to me I would be like good one can you teach me how. So I did not understand that it was such a big deal as I might confess I feel different about these things than most people. I will not do it again, and I am sorry for making you angry as I didnt wanna cause any arguments.

Why the hell are you apologizing to us? We didn't do shit. You don't feel different about these things than most people, you are hiding behind your little server and monitor and do the shit to others that nobody has done to you. You aren't sorry that you "made us angry", and we aren't angry. We just find it absurd that you find this shit ok. It's ridiculous. You're 16, smarten the fuck up.

You did not do what "you thought most 16 year olds would do". I don't know a single person who would do shit like this. Very childish and an asshole move. It was not a harmless prank. It wasn't funny. You're an asshole. Accept it.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

Just now, minibois said:

Please think about your own actions and their consequences, without resorting to how much less bad they are compared to what others do.

"Well what they did was much worse!" is just about the worst excuse you could have.

Reading the first bit of your post made me actually thing you regret doing this, but now I see you're still looking for someone to say "Nah, it wasn't that bad!".

This was not a harmless prank, it was one with intend on scaring the person you were pranking. That is far from a practical joke.

It seems like saying "put yourself in their shoes" would not be worthwhile advice, since I don't think you understand the seriousness of your actions.

Please, forgive me, internet! Please! I don't feel bad about what I did, I want to feel better by having someone forgive me for something!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

1 minute ago, minibois said:

The last one is true how am I supposed to know whats bad if I wouldnt mind it if it happened to me,like it has never happened, but im like 99,9% sure that i would not be taking any legal action.

Just now, ManosMax13 said:

The last one is true how am I supposed to know whats bad if I wouldnt mind it if it happened to me,like it has never happened, but im like 99,9% sure that i would not be taking any legal action.

Bullshit, you should know damn well that isn't cool at all. I highly doubt you wouldn't care if it happened to you.

Quit talking out of your ass.

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

2 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Please, forgive me, internet! Please! I don't feel bad about what I did, I want to feel better by having someone forgive me for something!

No I just wanna say that I cant really feel what you are saying because I would not care if it happened to myself as some people that we pranked didnt to and just got that we were bluffing. So im trying to understand but this happens to me all the time and its really annoying you wont believe how many times I do things that I woudnt care about and I get in trouble and Im like how do I know that you would be offended since I wouldnt! Am I supposed to guess?!?!?

1 minute ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Bullshit, you should know damn well that isn't cool at all. I highly doubt you wouldn't care if it happened to you.

Quit talking out of your ass.

Some people really  didnt care and they wanted to join, I am sure I would be one of those people.

Maybe it's something you'll be able to teach yourself later on in life, but compassion for others and trying to imagine yourself in someone else's shoes is an important life skill.

It teaches you to look at your actions through the mindset from someone else.

As you said, your actions would only be seen as threatening by 'people under 12 or below 60 IQ', which means you at least have some capability of seeing something from other people's point of view, but you really have to work on that.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

23 minutes ago, ManosMax13 said:

It is a prank

This is not an excuse and will not be a valid excuse if you ever get into legal trouble.

20 minutes ago, ManosMax13 said:

we were bluffing

Tell that to the guy who was locked up for 6 years cause of a "prank". Look up Josh Pillault.

Stop being cunts.

2 minutes ago, minibois said:

Maybe it's something you'll be able to teach yourself later on in life, but compassion for others and trying to imagine yourself in someone else's shoes is an important life skill.

It teaches you to look at your actions through the mindset from someone else.

As you said, your actions would only be seen as threatening by 'people under 12 or below 60 IQ', which means you at least have some capability of seeing something from other people's point of view, but you really have to work on that.

I dont know why I find it so hard but I think I have a reason. When I was a lot younger i used to have some behavioral problems and to get me through this period I followed the if you dont like it being done to  you dont do it on others. However I have become a person that doesnt get offended by nothing as I am often bullied so I have learned not to be offended by anything. So this is a problem which is hard to fix  as this has and still is my life moto but it is not working out😟

2 minutes ago, lewdicrous said:

This is not an excuse and will not be a valid excuse if you ever get into legal trouble.

Tell that to the guy who was locked up for 6 years cause of a "prank". Look up Josh Pillault.

Stop being cunts.

I am sorry and said that I wont do it again. I also want to honestly ask if someone did that prank to me I would not mind so it is hard to judge and I want to know how if you get what i mean.

2 minutes ago, ManosMax13 said:

I also want to honestly ask if someone did that prank to me I would not mind

It doesn't fucking matter if YOU mind it or not, doing it to other people is just shitty.

Just cause you wouldn't care, that doesn't mean it's okay to do it to other people, especially minors.

1 minute ago, valdyrgramr said:

Well, they are under 25 and don't have a certain part of their brain fully developed which can actually be why people at this age make dumb decisions like this.   But, that doesn't make it okay either.   Hopefully OP doesn't do this again, and realizes that if they have to ask abotu the legality of their actions then there's a good chance that something they did or plan to do isn't really legal regardless of how they claim they would feel.

How am I supposed to know tho if I dont feel like its bad myself. My mum made me think its illegal i didnt even think of it.

3 minutes ago, ManosMax13 said:

I dont know why I find it so hard but I think I have a reason. When I was a lot younger i used to have some behavioral problems and to get me through this period I followed the if you dont like it being done to  you dont do it on others. However I have become a person that doesnt get offended by nothing as I am often bullied so I have learned not to be offended by anything. So this is a problem which is hard to fix  as this has and still is my life moto but it is not working out😟

Life is difficult, I know that all too well..

I am not a psychologist, so would not know how to give advice on the whole reply you posted.

I just have to say, you should think a tiny bit more about the actions you perform. Something you perceive as harmless may have a profound effect on someone else. Whether you find that effect valid or not is up to you, but you can't take away their feelings towards it.

Try to interject a little empathy when doing something like this, how you, I or anyone else feels about something will be very different.

This thread went from "people think I'm a dick, please tell me I'm not" 

To

"it was just a prank bro" 

To

*excuses* and "well I wouldn't have been affected if it was me" 

Accept your judgement that what you did was a dick move, we don't care what your life situation is/was like, it's not an excuse to do what you did. What you find funny and non threatening, might be physiologically damaging to someone else. 

Imagine if one of the kids had previously been doxxed or had a stalker, they finally built up the courage to get online and play an innocent game like minecraft. Then have 2 people they don't know start spouting this information that there is no way they could know, suddenly they are freaking out because they think it's going to happen again. 

Grow up 

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

Just now, lewdicrous said:

It doesn't fucking matter if YOU mind it or not, doing it to other people is just shitty.

Just cause you wouldn't care, that doesn't mean it's okay to do it to other people, especially minors.

If it doesnt matter to me how would I know if it mattered to someone also Im also considered a minor I will be 16 in august stop talking like I am pedophile or something.