What do you think of the new iPhone SE ?

crazytechguy

I want one even though i don't need it.

I think this doesnt meet Tech News Posting guidelines ;) 

-Moved to Phones and Tablets-

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

Fucking sick.

Phones are waaaaaaaay to big nowadays. We need more small ones like this. I also personally fucking hate notches and find them absolutely disgusting to look at, I'd much rather have bezels like these.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

Oh no.. They comited a cardinal sin which Nintendo is also responsible for. Using 'New' in your product name.

When/if another model comes out you have to say "I have the New iPhone SE, but not like the current model, but the one called 'New iPhone SE'".

This is why they just needed to called it iPhone SE 2 or iPhone SE 2020.

But anyways, I don't care much for phones, so I am not sure what kind of opinion to give.

I guess a smaller phone is cool? But I don't have a problem with the current sizes of the 'normal' phones  (not like the MAX/Plus/etc., but just the normal size is fine).

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Pretty good bang for your buck, interesting mix of old and new (Wi-Fi 6! A13 chip! Nice camera!)

I ABSOLUTELY love the new iPhone SE, for a lot of reasons:

1. It costs $399

2. It comes with excellent specs, and the iPhone 11 Pro called, it wants its chipset back 😂.

3. I love the layout and the overall design of the iPhone 6 / 6S / 7 / 8 , Earpiece, with a proximity sensor on top of it, front camera on the left and a Home Button down, I will really miss this design when it is gone. It is absolutely perfect.

4. My iPhone 6S stopped working recently, and I wanted a replacement, and the iPhone SE ticks all my boxes.

Edited by GAME 55

£480 for the one you really want isn’t bad. Best SoC you can get, most of the features of the newer iPhones just depends how the camera holds up. If it’s the same as the main on the 11/Pro it’ll probably be the best value phone on the market by a wide margin. 

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

8 minutes ago, Lord Vile said:

£480 for the one you really want isn’t bad. Best SoC you can get, most of the features of the newer iPhones just depends how the camera holds up. If it’s the same as the main on the 11/Pro it’ll probably be the best value phone on the market by a wide margin. 

I totally agree! Specially that I don't really care about the camera in photos, they all seem to be soooo good, I personally can't tell the difference, as long as camera goes I really don't care about photo quality, I just don't want it to be a potato 😂, but I do care about video recording, 4K@30fps would be fine for me, more will even better.

I couldn't believe it when they released it, finally Apple is truly trying to compete in value now, even Dad didn't believe it when I told him that it is $400 😂, even if it was 64GB, that is fine for me, what do you guys think?

Would you pull the trigger on one of those, or your current phone is decent?

Edited by GAME 55

7 minutes ago, GAME 55 said:

I totally agree! Specially that I don't really care about the camera in photos, they all seem to be soooo good, I personally can't tell the difference, as long as camera goes I really don't care about photo quality, I just don't want it to be a potato 😂, but I do care about video recording, 4K@30fps would be fine for me, more will even better.

I couldn't believe it when they released it, finally Apple is truly trying to compete in value now, even Dad didn't believe it when I told him that it is $400 😂, even if it was 64GB, that is fine for me, what do you guys think?

I have a 11 Pro lol, I had an OG SE though I bought that like the day after launch to replace my 5S. Think that started at £400 too and I picked that over the 6S because it was essentially the same internals just didn’t have the better front facing camera, bigger screen or 3D Touch. Come to think of it it’s weird I’ve never had an iPhone with 3D Touch and now it’s dead on the phones.

If I was on a 6S-7 I’d probably get the SE, don’t think it’s quite enough over the 8 to spend the £480 - the £200 you’d get from selling the 8. Maybe if I was due to upgrade and didn’t want the spend the extra like £20 a month on the 11. Have you seen the Apple financing plan for the SE though? Under £20 a month for 24 months for the 128GB model! Bloody insane. 

2 minutes ago, Lord Vile said:

I have a 11 Pro lol, I had an OG SE though I bought that like the day after launch to replace my 5S. Think that started at £400 too and I picked that over the 6S because it was essentially the same internals just didn’t have the better front facing camera, bigger screen or 3D Touch. Come to think of it it’s weird I’ve never had an iPhone with 3D Touch and now it’s dead on the phones.

If I was on a 6S-7 I’d probably get the SE, don’t think it’s quite enough over the 8 to spend the £480 - the £200 you’d get from selling the 8. Maybe if I was due to upgrade and didn’t want the spend the extra like £20 a month on the 11. Have you seen the Apple financing plan for the SE though? Under £20 a month for 24 months for the 128GB model! Bloody insane. 

Yeah it is crazy, it is $449 (£469)* for the 128GB Version, I don't really buy phones through contracts, so I didn't understand how cheap is £20 a month 😂, but $449 total, $50 more for 64GB more, is definitely worth buying in my opinion!

*According to Apple UK Website

4 minutes ago, GAME 55 said:

Yeah it is crazy, it is $449 (£469)* for the 128GB Version, I don't really buy phones through contracts, so I didn't understand how cheap is £20 a month 😂, but $449 total, $50 more for 64GB more, is definitely worth buying in my opinion!

*According to Apple UK Website

Apple finance isn’t a phone contract per se you’re just paying the value of the phone off monthly with no interest atm in the UK at least vs all at once whereas a contract is through a provider who charges you for minutes, data etc on top of the phone. A much better deal tbh. I’m on a contract now and I’m paying about £10 more a month than I would be if I was paying Apple and just getting a Pay as you go SIM. 

14 minutes ago, Lord Vile said:

Apple finance isn’t a phone contract per se you’re just paying the value of the phone off monthly with no interest atm in the UK at least vs all at once whereas a contract is through a provider who charges you for minutes, data etc on top of the phone. A much better deal tbh. I’m on a contract now and I’m paying about £10 more a month than I would be if I was paying Apple and just getting a Pay as you go SIM. 

Sound awesome, though, here when I buy my phone with a contract I have to choose a carrier, and it is noticeably more expensive than buying it in full, especially with my bad experience with one carrier who didn't cancel the contract when I requested that, and I ended up paying a whopping $1,100 back in 2018 (I bought the iPhone 6S in 2016 and it was an 18 month contract), I am definitely not going to buy any phone in my life again using this contract method.

Bare in mind, it was the 64GB Version, it wasn't the Plus, if it was the Plus, that wouldn't be that bad since the 6S Plus 128GB was $990.

Edit: Buying a phone with a contract is about 20-25% more expensive, at least in my case.

Edited by GAME 55

1 minute ago, GAME 55 said:

Sound awesome, though, here when I buy my phone with a contract I have to choose a carrier, and it is noticeably more expensive than buying it in full, especially with my bad experience with one carrier who didn't cancel the contract when I requested that, and I ended up paying a whopping $1,100 back in 2018 (I bought the iPhone 6S in 2016 and it was an 18 month contract), I am definitely not going to buy any phone in my life again using this contract method.

Bare in mind, it was the 64GB Version, it wasn't the Plus, if it was the Plus, that wouldn't be that bad since the 6S Plus 128GB was $990.

Yeah tbf I’m only on this contract cos I get a 15% discount through work. Otherwise I’d be on Apple finance 

11 minutes ago, Lord Vile said:

Yeah tbf I’m only on this contract cos I get a 15% discount through work. Otherwise I’d be on Apple finance 

Fair enough.

1 hour ago, GAME 55 said:

I'm thinking about it, but then again the X or 10 is pretty good for me.

23 minutes ago, crazytechguy said:

I'm thinking about it, but then again the X or 10 is pretty good for me.

Can only buy them second hand though and they have OLED screens. Plus the SE has the A13 SoC vs the A11

Surely it will have a higher price tag. Thats what resellers do.

1 hour ago, EL02 said:

Surely it will have a higher price tag. Thats what resellers do.

Buying through apple is always best in that regard, although resellers here undercut apple for some reason so thats pretty fun

2 hours ago, Lord Vile said:

Can only buy them second hand though and they have OLED screens. Plus the SE has the A13 SoC vs the A11

Well, SoC-wise, it’s just a choice of if you want plain overkill, or Nuclear Mousetrap overkill. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

10 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Well, SoC-wise, it’s just a choice of if you want plain overkill, or Nuclear Mousetrap overkill. 

Helps with longevity though, the SE will support up to the same iOS as the 11, the X is the same as the 8

I want to buy this phone right now but I'd rather wait until reviewers (and Linus) get their hands on them.

Do they get the phone on the 24th or earlier? I've never been this early to a phone launch ;)

My iPhone 7 gave up last month. Some unforgivable antennae manufacturing defect. I was fed up with its battery life so I bought the Motorola Moto G8 Power to replace it. 5000 mAh baby! 

And then I see that the new iPhone SE is a real thing. Darn it! 

I think it's really cool.  I like that it is much more affordable and it'll probably sell well.  Most likely will end up like the last se where people recommend it for years afterward just because it is going to be super affordable on the used market as well.  Only downside I suppose for me is the screen design.  I know some prefer it but if the industry is moving towards a full screen display on phones then it seems weird to buy this one.  It will look outdated much sooner but if you don't care about that this is a great phone.  Trying to get my dad to move on from his 6 to this.