i7-8700K getting super hot

Hi!

My CPU is pretty much getting +100C at Cinebench, and usually at gaming Elder Scrolls Online it's going around +80-100C.

Heres my build:

Asus Z370-F GAMING

i7-8700K

16Gb Hyper X Fury DDR4 2666MHz

Corsair 650W VS650 ATX

Noctua NH-L9X65

I just changed thermal paste, and tried changing the CPU Core/Cache voltage to adaptive at 1.15V but it only made it worse. Temps jumped to +95-100C the second I pressed "Run" at Cinebench.

I'm honestly clueless, thus I'm seeking some help from LTT Forums.

Thank you in advance.

It's a hot chip and you may have lost the silicon lottery I'm afraid.

Mine got up to around 80c under 100% load with a NH-D15 and your cooler isn't the most beefy.

That is quite a small cooler for the 8700K. You would need to set a low static voltage and clock to get the temps under control or get a bigger cooler.

3 minutes ago, schwellmo92 said:

That is quite a small cooler for the 8700K. You would need to set a low static voltage and clock to get the temps under control or get a bigger cooler.

I've actually been thinking of buying NH-U12A, was a bit unsure but this post clearly proved that it's a good investment to upgrade it! Thank you!

That's a pretty small cooler for an 8700K, so it's not completely surprising.

Disable any sort of auto-OC settings in the BIOS, such as MCE, and make sure you have ample airflow in your case and particularly around the CPU area.

Also, are idle temps (like in the BIOS for example) normal or are they also on the high side?

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

3 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

That's a pretty small cooler for an 8700K, so it's not completely surprising.

Disable any sort of auto-OC settings in the BIOS, such as MCE, and make sure you have ample airflow in your case and particularly around the CPU area.

Also, are idle temps (like in the BIOS for example) normal or are they also on the high side?

Idle temp seems to be +41C at the BIOS screen. Seems like I've been too hasty with my new build and didn't even thought of concept 'airflow'.. I'll prevent using my desktop for now and get some case fans and the new cooler once easter holidays are gone!

33 minutes ago, Kealerator said:

Idle temp seems to be +41C at the BIOS screen. Seems like I've been too hasty with my new build and didn't even thought of concept 'airflow'.. I'll prevent using my desktop for now and get some case fans and the new cooler once easter holidays are gone!

If the idle temp is normal then that rules out a potential bad mount of the cooler.

Yeah, my guess would be that there's not really much of any airflow inside your case. The NH-L9 is small, as I've mentioned previously, but I'd still expect it to cool a stock 8700K enough for it to not throttle down in speed (which happens at 95-100C). I would first try to add in some case fans (make sure to have your intakes in the front/bottom and exhausts in the rear/top for optimal airflow, also try and have slightly positive pressure) and if that doesn't help then get a new cooler.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

Update:

Bought NH-U12A and 2 NF-A14 case fans. I put one A14 to the front bottom and one to the top, I already had one 120mm fan coming with the case so total number of case fans is 3 now. I also checked the directions of the fans so the airflow will be now from the front bottom inside pushing the air, and from behind top pushing the air outside of the case. Same with the U12A.

CPU max temp around ~ +89C during Cinebench, so we are actually getting forward.

Any tips to make it even better? I read somewhere if the BIOS CPU Core/Cache voltage is set to auto it will most certainly make it a little bit hotter than what is necessary.

6 minutes ago, Kealerator said:

Update:

Bought NH-U12A and 2 NF-A14 case fans. I put one A14 to the front bottom and one to the top, I already had one 120mm fan coming with the case so total number of case fans is 3 now. I also checked the directions of the fans so the airflow will be now from the front bottom inside pushing the air, and from behind top pushing the air outside of the case. Same with the U12A.

CPU max temp around ~ +89C during Cinebench, so we are actually getting forward.

Any tips to make it even better? I read somewhere if the BIOS CPU Core/Cache voltage is set to auto it will most certainly make it a little bit hotter than what is necessary.

delid lol, but that step would have avoided the need to a better cooler (probably)

i did mine over two years ago, and don't regret it.

i can't visualize your case cooling, but make sure you have adequate exhaust. that's very important.

i have a modest cooler (H7 Quad Lumi) on my 8700k at 5ghz ~1.37 volts, with a rear and top 120mm as exhausts, with 2x140mm as intakes in the front of the case. before delid i could do only 1.3v at 4.8ghz and top out at 90c in cbr15, now i can do in the low 80s with more voltage and frequency with the same cooling after delid.

that said, 89c in cb is perfectly fine. real life won't touch those temps (well unless you render normally)

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

14 hours ago, Kealerator said:

Update:

89c ain’t bad for a 8700K but still a bit high for stock, are you sure multicore enhancement (MCE) isn’t enabled? What’re your voltages when running Cinebench 20? What’s your ambient temperature?

On 4/15/2020 at 1:34 PM, schwellmo92 said:

89c ain’t bad for a 8700K but still a bit high for stock, are you sure multicore enhancement (MCE) isn’t enabled? What’re your voltages when running Cinebench 20? What’s your ambient temperature?

MCE was actually auto, so I put it 'disabled' now and tried again. And in my opinion the overall score results are a bit better.

Temps during the CinebenchR20:
Ambient max temp +72C

CPU Package max temp +89

Was a bit unsure about the voltages so I'll just attach a screenshot instead.
Note that the screenshot was taken on the MacOS(Hackintosh) side of the build. What I've noticed the results seem to be identical no matter of the OS I was on (Win10 or MacOS High Sierra)

Screen Shot 2020-04-16 at 17.04.33.png

16 minutes ago, Kealerator said:

MCE was actually auto, so I put it 'disabled' now and tried again. And in my opinion the overall score results are a bit better.

Temps during the CinebenchR20:
Ambient max temp +72C

CPU Package max temp +89

Was a bit unsure about the voltages so I'll just attach a screenshot instead.
Note that the screenshot was taken on the MacOS(Hackintosh) side of the build. What I've noticed the results seem to be identical no matter of the OS I was on (Win10 or MacOS High Sierra)

Is that taken while Cinebench is running? The CPU voltage and power draw don’t seem to be reading correct if so. Also do you know what fan #1 is? It’s only running at 700rpm.

It's possible the pigeon poop under the IHS dried out and you need to just buy a rockitcool '88 delid kit and delid and put on some liquid metal.  If for some reason you can't find liquid metal, even Kryonaut works (but won't last long directly on the die).  Remember to remove all of the intel black silicone when relidding and if you re-seal, apply four very tiny dabs of RTV silicone in each corner.  LM options are Thermalright Silver King and Conductonaut.

Another option is to make your own LM if you can buy syringes and needle-nose tips for them (important for application but the tip that comes with Conductonaut fits on standard syringes and actually works better than most needle nose tips).  Takes 100 grams of gallium, 40 grams of Indium, 10 grams of Tin, and a crucible, then smelt, melt in the oven, stir and you saved a ton of money. (100 grams of gallium costs about $30, 40 grams of Indium is the most per gram, may cost you about $20 if you shop around, 10 grams of Tin is about $10).  That can make 150 grams of Galinstan LM.  Buying 150 grams of Conductonaut would cost you >$600, for reference.

1 hour ago, schwellmo92 said:

Is that taken while Cinebench is running? The CPU voltage and power draw don’t seem to be reading correct if so. Also do you know what fan #1 is? It’s only running at 700rpm.

Took a better screenshot at Win10, CinebenchR20 running in the background!

EDIT: Chassis Fan #1 should be the Noctua casefan bottom front as an intake fan.

Cinebench + HWMonitor in Win10 screenshot.jpg

2 minutes ago, Kealerator said:

EDIT: Chassis Fan #1 should be the Noctua casefan bottom front as an intake fan.

Cinebench + HWMonitor in Win10 screenshot.jpg

try using hwinfo64 and report back the voltage.

it looks like you have MCE enabled, and its probably applying a stupid amount of voltage that you don't need.

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

8 minutes ago, Mister Woof said:

try using hwinfo64 and report back the voltage.

it looks like you have MCE enabled, and its probably applying a stupid amount of voltage that you don't need.

HWiNFO64 is a new program to me but I gave it a try, here's a report in a form of HTM

HWiNFO64 results.HTM

6 minutes ago, Kealerator said:

HWiNFO64 is a new program to me but I gave it a try, here's a report in a form of HTM

HWiNFO64 results.HTM 196.74 kB · 0 downloads

not working for me for some reason. can you just tell me the vcore readout or post a screen?

2 minutes ago, Mister Woof said:

not working for me for some reason. can you just tell me the vcore readout or post a screen?

General Information                                                             
Processor Name:                                                                 Intel Core i7-8700K
Original Processor Frequency:                                                   3700.0 MHz

CPU ID:                                                                         000906EA
CPU Brand Name:                                                                 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700K CPU @ 3.70GHz
CPU Vendor:                                                                     GenuineIntel
CPU Stepping:                                                                   U0
CPU Code Name:                                                                  Coffee Lake-S
CPU Technology:                                                                 14 nm
CPU S-Spec:                                                                     SR3QR
CPU Thermal Design Power (TDP):                                                 95.0 W
CPU Power Limits (Max):                                                         Power = Unlimited, Time = Unlimited
CPU Power Limit 1 - Long Duration:                                              Power = Unlimited, Time = 8.00 sec [Unlocked]
CPU Power Limit 2 - Short Duration:                                             Power = Unlimited, Time = 2.44 ms [Unlocked]
CPU Max. Junction Temperature (Tj,max):                                         100 °C
CPU Type:                                                                       Production Unit
CPU Platform:                                                                   Socket H4 (LGA1151)
Microcode Update Revision:                                                      96
Favored Cores List:                                                             1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Number of CPU Cores:                                                            6
Number of Logical CPUs:                                                         12

Operating Points                                                                
CPU LFM (Minimum):                                                              800.0 MHz = 8 x 100.0 MHz
CPU HFM (Base):                                                                 3700.0 MHz = 37 x 100.0 MHz
CPU Turbo Max:                                                                  4700.0 MHz = 47 x 100.0 MHz [Unlocked]
Turbo Ratio Limits - IA/SSE:                                                    47x (1-6c)
Turbo Ratio Limits - AVX2, Resolved:                                            47x (1-6c)
CPU Current:                                                                    4698.9 MHz = 47 x 100.0 MHz @ 1.2993 V
LLC/Ring Maximum:                                                               4400.0 MHz = 44.00 x 100.0 MHz
LLC/Ring Current:                                                               4398.9 MHz = 44.00 x 100.0 MHz
System Agent Current:                                                           999.8 MHz = 10.00 x 100.0 MHz

CPU Bus Type:                                                                   Intel Direct Media Interface (DMI) v3.0
Maximum DMI Link Speed:                                                         8.0 GT/s
Current DMI Link Speed:                                                         8.0 GT/s
Number of Overclocking Bins:                                                    Unlimited
Ring to Core Offset:                                                            Enabled

IA Overclocking                                                                 
Voltage Offset:                                                                 Supported
Voltage Override:                                                               Supported
Ratio Overclocking:                                                             Supported
Fused Ratio Limit:                                                              83x
OC Ratio Limit:                                                                 N/A
Voltage Mode:                                                                   Interpolative
Voltage Offset:                                                                 0 mV
IccMax:                                                                         255.50 A
GT (Slice) Overclocking                                                         
Voltage Offset:                                                                 Supported
Voltage Override:                                                               Supported
Ratio Overclocking:                                                             Supported
Fused Ratio Limit:                                                              60x
OC Ratio Limit:                                                                 24x
Voltage Mode:                                                                   Interpolative
Voltage Offset:                                                                 0 mV
IccMax:                                                                         255.50 A
CLR (CBo/LLC/Ring) Overclocking                                                 
Fused Ratio Limit:                                                              83x
OC Ratio Limit:                                                                 N/A
GT (Unslice) Overclocking                                                       
Fused Ratio Limit:                                                              60x
OC Ratio Limit:                                                                 24x
Uncore/SA Overclocking                                                          
Voltage Override:                                                               Not Supported
Ratio Overclocking:                                                             Not Supported
Fused Ratio Limit:                                                              N/A
IccMax:                                                                         20.00 A

Cache and TLB                                                                   
L1 Cache:                                                                       Instruction: 6 x 32 KBytes, Data: 6 x 32 KBytes
L2 Cache:                                                                       Integrated: 6 x 256 KBytes
L3 Cache:                                                                       12 MBytes
Instruction TLB:                                                                2MB/4MB Pages, Fully associative, 8 entries
Data TLB:                                                                       4 KB Pages, 4-way set associative, 64 entries

Standard Feature Flags                                                          
FPU on Chip                                                                     Present
Enhanced Virtual-86 Mode                                                        Present
I/O Breakpoints                                                                 Present
Page Size Extensions                                                            Present
Time Stamp Counter                                                              Present
Pentium-style Model Specific Registers                                          Present
Physical Address Extension                                                      Present
Machine Check Exception                                                         Present
CMPXCHG8B Instruction                                                           Present
APIC On Chip / PGE (AMD)                                                        Present
Fast System Call                                                                Present
Memory Type Range Registers                                                     Present
Page Global Feature                                                             Present
Machine Check Architecture                                                      Present
CMOV Instruction                                                                Present
Page Attribute Table                                                            Present
36-bit Page Size Extensions                                                     Present
Processor Number                                                                Not Present
CLFLUSH Instruction                                                             Present
Debug Trace and EMON Store                                                      Present
Internal ACPI Support                                                           Present
MMX Technology                                                                  Present
Fast FP Save/Restore (IA MMX-2)                                                 Present
Streaming SIMD Extensions                                                       Present
Streaming SIMD Extensions 2                                                     Present
Self-Snoop                                                                      Present
Multi-Threading Capable                                                         Present
Automatic Clock Control                                                         Present
IA-64 Processor                                                                 Not Present
Signal Break on FERR                                                            Present
Virtual Machine Extensions (VMX)                                                Present
Safer Mode Extensions (Intel TXT)                                               Present
Streaming SIMD Extensions 3                                                     Present
Supplemental Streaming SIMD Extensions 3                                        Present
Streaming SIMD Extensions 4.1                                                   Present
Streaming SIMD Extensions 4.2                                                   Present
AVX Support                                                                     Present
Fused Multiply Add (FMA)                                                        Present
Carryless Multiplication (PCLMULQDQ)/GFMUL                                      Present
CMPXCHG16B Support                                                              Present
MOVBE Instruction                                                               Present
POPCNT Instruction                                                              Present
XSAVE/XRSTOR/XSETBV/XGETBV Instructions                                         Present
XGETBV/XSETBV OS Enabled                                                        Present
Float16 Instructions                                                            Present
AES Cryptography Support                                                        Present
Random Number Read Instruction (RDRAND)                                         Present
Extended xAPIC                                                                  Present
MONITOR/MWAIT Support                                                           Present
Thermal Monitor 2                                                               Present
Enhanced SpeedStep Technology                                                   Present
L1 Context ID                                                                   Not Present
Send Task Priority Messages Disabling                                           Present
Processor Context ID                                                            Present
Direct Cache Access                                                             Not Present
TSC-deadline Timer                                                              Present
Performance/Debug Capability MSR                                                Present
IA32 Debug Interface Support                                                    Present
64-Bit Debug Store                                                              Present
CPL Qualified Debug Store                                                       Present
Extended Feature Flags                                                          
64-bit Extensions                                                               Present
RDTSCP and TSC_AUX Support                                                      Present
1 GB large page support                                                         Present
No Execute                                                                      Present
SYSCALL/SYSRET Support                                                          Present
Bit Manipulation Instructions Set 1                                             Present
Bit Manipulation Instructions Set 2                                             Present
Advanced Vector Extensions 2 (AVX2)                                             Present
Advanced Vector Extensions 512 (AVX-512)                                        Not Present
AVX-512 Prefetch Instructions                                                   Not Present
AVX-512 Exponential and Reciprocal Instructions                                 Not Present
AVX-512 Conflict Detection Instructions                                         Not Present
AVX-512 Doubleword and Quadword Instructions                                    Not Present
AVX-512 Byte and Word Instructions                                              Not Present
AVX-512 Vector Length Extensions                                                Not Present
AVX-512 52-bit Integer FMA Instructions                                         Not Present
Secure Hash Algorithm (SHA) Extensions                                          Not Present
Software Guard Extensions (SGX) Support                                         Present
Supervisor Mode Execution Protection (SMEP)                                     Present
Supervisor Mode Access Prevention (SMAP)                                        Present
Hardware Lock Elision (HLE)                                                     Present
Restricted Transactional Memory (RTM)                                           Present
Memory Protection Extensions (MPX)                                              Present
Read/Write FS/GS Base Instructions                                              Present
Enhanced Performance String Instruction                                         Present
INVPCID Instruction                                                             Present
RDSEED Instruction                                                              Present
Multi-precision Add Carry Instructions (ADX)                                    Present
PCOMMIT Instructions                                                            Not Present
CLFLUSHOPT Instructions                                                         Present
CLWB Instructions                                                               Not Present
TSC_THREAD_OFFSET                                                               Present
Platform Quality of Service Monitoring (PQM)                                    Not Present
Platform Quality of Service Enforcement (PQE)                                   Not Present
FPU Data Pointer updated only on x87 Exceptions                                 Not Present
Deprecated FPU CS and FPU DS                                                    Present
Intel Processor Trace                                                           Present
PREFETCHWT1 Instruction                                                         Not Present
AVX-512 Vector Bit Manipulation Instructions                                    Not Present
AVX-512 Vector Bit Manipulation Instructions 2                                  Not Present
AVX-512 Galois Fields New Instructions                                          Not Present
AVX-512 Vector AES                                                              Not Present
AVX-512 Vector Neural Network Instructions                                      Not Present
AVX-512 Bit Algorithms                                                          Not Present
AVX-512 Carry-Less Multiplication Quadword (VPCLMULQDQ)                         Not Present
AVX-512 Vector POPCNT (VPOPCNTD/VPOPCNTQ)                                       Not Present
User-Mode Instruction Prevention                                                Not Present
Protection Keys for User-mode Pages                                             Not Present
OS Enabled Protection Keys                                                      Not Present
Wait and Pause Enhancements (WAITPKG)                                           Not Present
Total Memory Encryption                                                         Not Present
Read Processor ID                                                               Not Present
Cache Line Demote                                                               Not Present
MOVDIRI: Direct Stores                                                          Not Present
MOVDIR64B: Direct Stores                                                        Not Present
ENQCMD: Enqueue Stores                                                          Not Present
SGX Launch Configuration                                                        Present
Control-Flow Enforcement Technology (CET) Shadow Stack                          Not Present
AVX-512 BFLOAT16 Instructions                                                   Not Present

Enhanced Features                                                               
Thermal Monitor 1:                                                              Supported, Enabled
Thermal Monitor 2:                                                              Supported, Enabled
Enhanced Intel SpeedStep (GV3):                                                 Supported, Enabled
Bi-directional PROCHOT#:                                                        Enabled
Extended Auto-HALT State C1E:                                                   Enabled
MLC Streamer Prefetcher                                                         Supported, Enabled
MLC Spatial Prefetcher                                                          Supported, Enabled
DCU Streamer Prefetcher                                                         Supported, Enabled
DCU IP Prefetcher                                                               Supported, Enabled
Intel Dynamic Acceleration (IDA) Technology:                                    Not Supported
Intel Dynamic FSB Switching:                                                    Not Supported
Intel Turbo Boost Technology:                                                   Supported, Enabled
Programmable Ratio Limits:                                                      Supported, Disabled
Programmable TDC/TDP Limits:                                                    Supported, Disabled
Hardware Duty Cycling:                                                          Supported, Enabled

CPU SKU Features                                                                
Display HD Audio:                                                               Supported
DMI x4:                                                                         Supported
DRAM ECC:                                                                       Not Supported
VT-d:                                                                           Supported
DMI in Gen2 Mode:                                                               Supported
PEG in Gen2 Mode:                                                               Supported
1N Mode DDR Timings:                                                            Supported
Camarillo Device:                                                               Supported
2 DIMMs per Channel:                                                            Supported
X2APIC:                                                                         Supported
Dual Memory Channel:                                                            Supported
Integrated GPU:                                                                 Enabled
DDR Overclocking:                                                               Enabled
Overclocking by DSKU:                                                           Enabled
DDR3L:                                                                          Supported
Maximum Memory Size per Channel:                                                64 GB (unlimited)
DDR Frequency Support (100 MHz RefClk):                                         1300 MHz
Overclocking:                                                                   Enabled
SMT:                                                                            Supported
Additive Graphics:                                                              Supported
Additive Graphics:                                                              Enabled
PCIe Gen 3:                                                                     Supported
DMI Gen 3:                                                                      Supported
HDCP:                                                                           Supported
DDR4:                                                                           Supported
LPDDR3:                                                                         Not Supported
BCLK OC Limit:                                                                  100 MHz
Maximum Supported LPDDR3 Frequency:                                             1067 MHz
Maximum Supported DDR4 Frequency:                                               1333 MHz

SVID Status:                                                                    Enabled

Voltage Regulator (SVID)                                                        
VCC VR:                                                                         ON Semi ASP1400B, IMVP8
VR Thermal Sensor:                                                              Supported

Memory Ranges                                                                   
Maximum Physical Address Size:                                                  39-bit (512 GBytes)
Maximum Virtual Address Size:                                                   48-bit (256 TBytes)
MTRRs                                                                           
Range E0000000-100000000 (3584MB-4096MB) Type:                                  Uncacheable (UC)
Range D0000000-E0000000 (3328MB-3584MB) Type:                                   Uncacheable (UC)
Range C8000000-D0000000 (3200MB-3328MB) Type:                                   Uncacheable (UC)

1.3v isn't too high, but it could just be your TIM application is just bad. 

make sure your paste application is good and mounting pressure is good.

Any chance you just didn't tighten the cooler down enough?

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

13 minutes ago, Kealerator said:

General Information                                                             
Processor Name:                                                                 Intel Core i7-8700K
Original Processor Frequency:                                                   3700.0 MHz

CPU ID:                                                                         000906EA
CPU Brand Name:                                                                 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700K CPU @ 3.70GHz
CPU Vendor:                                                                     GenuineIntel
CPU Stepping:                                                                   U0
CPU Code Name:                                                                  Coffee Lake-S
CPU Technology:                                                                 14 nm
CPU S-Spec:                                                                     SR3QR
CPU Thermal Design Power (TDP):                                                 95.0 W
CPU Power Limits (Max):                                                         Power = Unlimited, Time = Unlimited
CPU Power Limit 1 - Long Duration:                                              Power = Unlimited, Time = 8.00 sec [Unlocked]
CPU Power Limit 2 - Short Duration:                                             Power = Unlimited, Time = 2.44 ms [Unlocked]
CPU Max. Junction Temperature (Tj,max):                                         100 °C
CPU Type:                                                                       Production Unit
CPU Platform:                                                                   Socket H4 (LGA1151)
Microcode Update Revision:                                                      96
Favored Cores List:                                                             1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Number of CPU Cores:                                                            6
Number of Logical CPUs:                                                         12

Operating Points                                                                
CPU LFM (Minimum):                                                              800.0 MHz = 8 x 100.0 MHz
CPU HFM (Base):                                                                 3700.0 MHz = 37 x 100.0 MHz
CPU Turbo Max:                                                                  4700.0 MHz = 47 x 100.0 MHz [Unlocked]
Turbo Ratio Limits - IA/SSE:                                                    47x (1-6c)
Turbo Ratio Limits - AVX2, Resolved:                                            47x (1-6c)
CPU Current:                                                                    4698.9 MHz = 47 x 100.0 MHz @ 1.2993 V
LLC/Ring Maximum:                                                               4400.0 MHz = 44.00 x 100.0 MHz
LLC/Ring Current:                                                               4398.9 MHz = 44.00 x 100.0 MHz
System Agent Current:                                                           999.8 MHz = 10.00 x 100.0 MHz

CPU Bus Type:                                                                   Intel Direct Media Interface (DMI) v3.0
Maximum DMI Link Speed:                                                         8.0 GT/s
Current DMI Link Speed:                                                         8.0 GT/s
Number of Overclocking Bins:                                                    Unlimited
Ring to Core Offset:                                                            Enabled

IA Overclocking                                                                 
GT (Slice) Overclocking                                                         
CLR (CBo/LLC/Ring) Overclocking                                                 
GT (Unslice) Overclocking                                                       
Uncore/SA Overclocking                                                          
Voltage Override:                                                               Not Supported
Ratio Overclocking:                                                             Not Supported
Fused Ratio Limit:                                                              N/A
IccMax:                                                                         20.00 A

Cache and TLB                                                                   
L1 Cache:                                                                       Instruction: 6 x 32 KBytes, Data: 6 x 32 KBytes
L2 Cache:                                                                       Integrated: 6 x 256 KBytes
L3 Cache:                                                                       12 MBytes
Instruction TLB:                                                                2MB/4MB Pages, Fully associative, 8 entries
Data TLB:                                                                       4 KB Pages, 4-way set associative, 64 entries

Standard Feature Flags                                                          
FPU on Chip                                                                     Present
Enhanced Virtual-86 Mode                                                        Present
I/O Breakpoints                                                                 Present
Page Size Extensions                                                            Present
Time Stamp Counter                                                              Present
Pentium-style Model Specific Registers                                          Present
Physical Address Extension                                                      Present
Machine Check Exception                                                         Present
CMPXCHG8B Instruction                                                           Present
APIC On Chip / PGE (AMD)                                                        Present
Fast System Call                                                                Present
Memory Type Range Registers                                                     Present
Page Global Feature                                                             Present
Machine Check Architecture                                                      Present
CMOV Instruction                                                                Present
Page Attribute Table                                                            Present
36-bit Page Size Extensions                                                     Present
Processor Number                                                                Not Present
CLFLUSH Instruction                                                             Present
Debug Trace and EMON Store                                                      Present
Internal ACPI Support                                                           Present
MMX Technology                                                                  Present
Fast FP Save/Restore (IA MMX-2)                                                 Present
Streaming SIMD Extensions                                                       Present
Streaming SIMD Extensions 2                                                     Present
Self-Snoop                                                                      Present
Multi-Threading Capable                                                         Present
Automatic Clock Control                                                         Present
IA-64 Processor                                                                 Not Present
Signal Break on FERR                                                            Present
Virtual Machine Extensions (VMX)                                                Present
Safer Mode Extensions (Intel TXT)                                               Present
Streaming SIMD Extensions 3                                                     Present
Supplemental Streaming SIMD Extensions 3                                        Present
Streaming SIMD Extensions 4.1                                                   Present
Streaming SIMD Extensions 4.2                                                   Present
AVX Support                                                                     Present
Fused Multiply Add (FMA)                                                        Present
Carryless Multiplication (PCLMULQDQ)/GFMUL                                      Present
CMPXCHG16B Support                                                              Present
MOVBE Instruction                                                               Present
POPCNT Instruction                                                              Present
XSAVE/XRSTOR/XSETBV/XGETBV Instructions                                         Present
XGETBV/XSETBV OS Enabled                                                        Present
Float16 Instructions                                                            Present
AES Cryptography Support                                                        Present
Random Number Read Instruction (RDRAND)                                         Present
Extended xAPIC                                                                  Present
MONITOR/MWAIT Support                                                           Present
Thermal Monitor 2                                                               Present
Enhanced SpeedStep Technology                                                   Present
L1 Context ID                                                                   Not Present
Send Task Priority Messages Disabling                                           Present
Processor Context ID                                                            Present
Direct Cache Access                                                             Not Present
TSC-deadline Timer                                                              Present
Performance/Debug Capability MSR                                                Present
IA32 Debug Interface Support                                                    Present
64-Bit Debug Store                                                              Present
CPL Qualified Debug Store                                                       Present
Extended Feature Flags                                                          
64-bit Extensions                                                               Present
RDTSCP and TSC_AUX Support                                                      Present
1 GB large page support                                                         Present
No Execute                                                                      Present
SYSCALL/SYSRET Support                                                          Present
Bit Manipulation Instructions Set 1                                             Present
Bit Manipulation Instructions Set 2                                             Present
Advanced Vector Extensions 2 (AVX2)                                             Present
Advanced Vector Extensions 512 (AVX-512)                                        Not Present
AVX-512 Prefetch Instructions                                                   Not Present
AVX-512 Exponential and Reciprocal Instructions                                 Not Present
AVX-512 Conflict Detection Instructions                                         Not Present
AVX-512 Doubleword and Quadword Instructions                                    Not Present
AVX-512 Byte and Word Instructions                                              Not Present
AVX-512 Vector Length Extensions                                                Not Present
AVX-512 52-bit Integer FMA Instructions                                         Not Present
Secure Hash Algorithm (SHA) Extensions                                          Not Present
Software Guard Extensions (SGX) Support                                         Present
Supervisor Mode Execution Protection (SMEP)                                     Present
Supervisor Mode Access Prevention (SMAP)                                        Present
Hardware Lock Elision (HLE)                                                     Present
Restricted Transactional Memory (RTM)                                           Present
Memory Protection Extensions (MPX)                                              Present
Read/Write FS/GS Base Instructions                                              Present
Enhanced Performance String Instruction                                         Present
INVPCID Instruction                                                             Present
RDSEED Instruction                                                              Present
Multi-precision Add Carry Instructions (ADX)                                    Present
PCOMMIT Instructions                                                            Not Present
CLFLUSHOPT Instructions                                                         Present
CLWB Instructions                                                               Not Present
TSC_THREAD_OFFSET                                                               Present
Platform Quality of Service Monitoring (PQM)                                    Not Present
Platform Quality of Service Enforcement (PQE)                                   Not Present
FPU Data Pointer updated only on x87 Exceptions                                 Not Present
Deprecated FPU CS and FPU DS                                                    Present
Intel Processor Trace                                                           Present
PREFETCHWT1 Instruction                                                         Not Present
AVX-512 Vector Bit Manipulation Instructions                                    Not Present
AVX-512 Vector Bit Manipulation Instructions 2                                  Not Present
AVX-512 Galois Fields New Instructions                                          Not Present
AVX-512 Vector AES                                                              Not Present
AVX-512 Vector Neural Network Instructions                                      Not Present
AVX-512 Bit Algorithms                                                          Not Present
AVX-512 Carry-Less Multiplication Quadword (VPCLMULQDQ)                         Not Present
AVX-512 Vector POPCNT (VPOPCNTD/VPOPCNTQ)                                       Not Present
User-Mode Instruction Prevention                                                Not Present
Protection Keys for User-mode Pages                                             Not Present
OS Enabled Protection Keys                                                      Not Present
Wait and Pause Enhancements (WAITPKG)                                           Not Present
Total Memory Encryption                                                         Not Present
Read Processor ID                                                               Not Present
Cache Line Demote                                                               Not Present
MOVDIRI: Direct Stores                                                          Not Present
MOVDIR64B: Direct Stores                                                        Not Present
ENQCMD: Enqueue Stores                                                          Not Present
SGX Launch Configuration                                                        Present
Control-Flow Enforcement Technology (CET) Shadow Stack                          Not Present
AVX-512 BFLOAT16 Instructions                                                   Not Present

Enhanced Features                                                               
Thermal Monitor 1:                                                              Supported, Enabled
Thermal Monitor 2:                                                              Supported, Enabled
Enhanced Intel SpeedStep (GV3):                                                 Supported, Enabled
Bi-directional PROCHOT#:                                                        Enabled
Extended Auto-HALT State C1E:                                                   Enabled
MLC Streamer Prefetcher                                                         Supported, Enabled
MLC Spatial Prefetcher                                                          Supported, Enabled
DCU Streamer Prefetcher                                                         Supported, Enabled
DCU IP Prefetcher                                                               Supported, Enabled
Intel Dynamic Acceleration (IDA) Technology:                                    Not Supported
Intel Dynamic FSB Switching:                                                    Not Supported
Intel Turbo Boost Technology:                                                   Supported, Enabled
Programmable Ratio Limits:                                                      Supported, Disabled
Programmable TDC/TDP Limits:                                                    Supported, Disabled
Hardware Duty Cycling:                                                          Supported, Enabled

CPU SKU Features                                                                
Display HD Audio:                                                               Supported
DMI x4:                                                                         Supported
DRAM ECC:                                                                       Not Supported
VT-d:                                                                           Supported
DMI in Gen2 Mode:                                                               Supported
PEG in Gen2 Mode:                                                               Supported
1N Mode DDR Timings:                                                            Supported
Camarillo Device:                                                               Supported
2 DIMMs per Channel:                                                            Supported
X2APIC:                                                                         Supported
Dual Memory Channel:                                                            Supported
Integrated GPU:                                                                 Enabled
DDR Overclocking:                                                               Enabled
Overclocking by DSKU:                                                           Enabled
DDR3L:                                                                          Supported
Maximum Memory Size per Channel:                                                64 GB (unlimited)
DDR Frequency Support (100 MHz RefClk):                                         1300 MHz
Overclocking:                                                                   Enabled
SMT:                                                                            Supported
Additive Graphics:                                                              Supported
Additive Graphics:                                                              Enabled
PCIe Gen 3:                                                                     Supported
DMI Gen 3:                                                                      Supported
HDCP:                                                                           Supported
DDR4:                                                                           Supported
LPDDR3:                                                                         Not Supported
BCLK OC Limit:                                                                  100 MHz
Maximum Supported LPDDR3 Frequency:                                             1067 MHz
Maximum Supported DDR4 Frequency:                                               1333 MHz

SVID Status:                                                                    Enabled

Voltage Regulator (SVID)                                                        
VCC VR:                                                                         ON Semi ASP1400B, IMVP8
VR Thermal Sensor:                                                              Supported

Memory Ranges                                                                   
Maximum Physical Address Size:                                                  39-bit (512 GBytes)
Maximum Virtual Address Size:                                                   48-bit (256 TBytes)
MTRRs                                                                           
Range E0000000-100000000 (3584MB-4096MB) Type:                                  Uncacheable (UC)
Range D0000000-E0000000 (3328MB-3584MB) Type:                                   Uncacheable (UC)
Range C8000000-D0000000 (3200MB-3328MB) Type:                                   Uncacheable (UC)

I see you have an overclock applied. May want to lower or disable it entirely until you get a new cooler.

Gaming/Editing PC

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z370-E CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K Cooler: EVGA CLC 240 GPU: Asus Dual Edition RTX 2070 Super OC RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB @ 3000 MHz PSU: Corsair HX650 Case: Fractal Design Meshify-C White

2 hours ago, Mister Woof said:

1.3v isn't too high, but it could just be your TIM application is just bad. 

make sure your paste application is good and mounting pressure is good.

Checked and confirmed, enough paste and mount is secured..

3 minutes ago, Kealerator said:

Checked and confirmed, enough paste and mount is secured..

could be the TIM just sucks. it's known to happen.

12 hours ago, Kealerator said:

1.35v seems quite high for stock all-core load but I'm not sure what the default voltages are for the 8700K. Does it drop from 4.7GHz towards the end of the run? The default all-core should be 4.3GHz for an 8700K, if it maintains 4.7GHz the whole time there must be some form of power limit adjusting/MCE.

I guess 90c is fine for a Cinebench run but still seems higher than I would think you should be getting, in practice it'll be much lower for other normal tasks (i.e. gaming).

13 minutes ago, schwellmo92 said:

1.35v seems quite high for 4.7GHz but I'm not sure what the default voltages are for the 8700K

1.35v is around the upper limit of cooling without delidding. It's definitely higher than necessary and 1.2v should be plenty for stock. 

13 hours ago, Kealerator said:

It seems like there's still some type of oc enabled. Make sure you're saving your settings after disabling MCE. Enhanced Turbo may also be lending to it but can be left on as long as the core voltage is addressed.

1.45v is too high and your temps are about as high as expected due to it. Try setting it to 1.25v instead. Depending on the type of clock speeds you might be interested in, you can probably push for 5ghz with 1.3v or just run stock with 1.2v for lower noise.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.