[Unofficial LTT] NZXT H440 Owners Club

I'd

I will be joining your ranks in about a week, getting ready to order my stuff next week. I'm very excited for this case, it was a toss up between the H440 and the S340. It was close but the H440 was just too good looking and feature stack to pass on.

Planned build for any one that cares..

H440 White/black

4690K or 4790k (still up in the air on this)

Maximus VII Hero

Kraken x61

Corsair Vengeance Pro 16gb(2x8) 1866

Intel 730 ssd 240gb x2 run in raid 0 (mainly for aesthetics)

evga supernova 750watt G2

SP/AF Corsair fans

red or white Bitfenix cable extensions (still in the air on color)

White LED strip (probably NZXT)

Now to my question. I know there's a gap in the front/top when you use 2x 140mm fans rather than 3x 120mm fans. Has anyone tried to stick maybe 2 smaller fans (60-80mm) in that spot? I know its kind of an odd question. I'm planning on push/pull intake though an x61 in the front, 3x 120mm top exhaust, and a 140mm exhaust on the rear. I just want to put some fan action below the x61 to draw some cool air from somewhere beside the rad. I don't really want to move to a 240 aio but I might have to. Also do you recommend high static pressure fans for top exhaust or high air flow, I just wasn't sure because there's not a lot of room for the air to move up there and I didn't know which should be better.

Any other advice would be helpful too. I look forward to posting some pics when I'm done.

I'd sub them 730s for evo 840s much cheaper for ver simlar performance

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

I'd

730 series SSDs came way down in price, they're practically the same.

And intel SSDs are really the gold standard for ssds, the tiny extra price is justifiable

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

I will be joining your ranks in about a week, getting ready to order my stuff next week. I'm very excited for this case, it was a toss up between the H440 and the S340. It was close but the H440 was just too good looking and feature stack to pass on.

H440 White/black

Maximus VII Hero

Kraken x61

SP/AF Corsair fans

Now to my question. I know there's a gap in the front/top when you use 2x 140mm fans rather than 3x 120mm fans. Has anyone tried to stick maybe 2 smaller fans (60-80mm) in that spot? I know its kind of an odd question. I'm planning on push/pull intake though an x61 in the front, 3x 120mm top exhaust, and a 140mm exhaust on the rear. I just want to put some fan action below the x61 to draw some cool air from somewhere beside the rad. I don't really want to move to a 240 aio but I might have to. Also do you recommend high static pressure fans for top exhaust or high air flow, I just wasn't sure because there's not a lot of room for the air to move up there and I didn't know which should be better.

Any other advice would be helpful too. I look forward to posting some pics when I'm done.

I wouldn't suggest this!

Having the above the config with the x61 as intake at the front and top and rear as exhaust will cause massive negative pressure meaning lots of dust!!

I have a 280mm rad at the fron (CPU AIO) as intake as pull config,

3x120mm at top as intake

and a 140mm rad (GPU AIO) at the back as exhaust as push pull.

Having the front and top as intake creates the positive pressure.

What would be more ideal is to have 3x120mm at the front as intake and the 280mm rad at top as exhaust with the 140 at the back (the rads have restricted air flow so this would be the best option)

GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 @1500mhz + 8000Mhz CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k Delided and Overclocked @4.8  MB: ASUS MAXIMUS VIII IMPACT  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory CPU Cooler: Corsair HG10+ H90 +H90 CASE: Corsair 380T  Storage: 120GB Samsung Evo SSD + Crucail 256GB Mx100 + 2TB Seagate/  OS: Windows 10 64bit Power supply:  Corsair RM750

You'll have to put it up front if you want push-pull; but push-pull is barely better than just push or just pull.

Ok thanks a lot. In this case, might just do a pull then I guess.
Spoiler

[CPU] i5-4690K @ 4.5GHz with NZXT Kraken X61 [MOBO] Asus Z97-AR [Memory] HyperX Fury 32GB DDR3-1600 [Storage] Samsung 840 EVO 500GB & WD 1TB Black & Hitachi 1TB [GPU] Gigabyte GTX 1080 8GB Xtreme Gaming [Case] Corsair Air 540 [PSU] Cooler Master V1000 [Case Fan] Corsair SP140 LED Fan x 3 & SP120 LED Fan x 3 [Display] Main: Philips 31.5" FULL HD IPS | Side: Philips 28" 4K UHD [Keyboard] Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth Edition [Mouse] Razer Ouroboros [Mouse Pad] Razer Firefly [Sound] BOSE Companion 5 Multimedia Speaker System

H440 White/black

Maximus VII Hero

Kraken x61

SP/AF Corsair fans

Small fans are notorious for being loud, which is why they are now almost completely phased out.

What I would do though is block the holes with tape. I did this on my own build per another members suggestion. This stop hot air from the case bleeding back into the shroud then then going back through the rad.

This is a view of the front of my case with a 280mm rad installed, I later blocked the lower open portion with electrical tape. You can see the holes on the right side (where the shroud intake is located) is already tapped up.

DgjLzIOl.jpg?1

2x GTX780 (@1.29ghz) | 2x 840evo 250GB raid0 | i5 4690k (@4.7ghz) | Watercooled Modded H440 Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/255872-project-whiteout-v20-h440-watercooled-3xradiators-10-fans

Took the day off just so I could be here when this beast arrived.Here is a couple of pics for now, I have to go run some arons really quick, when I get back I will upload more pics of the case.

IMG_8708_zpsf3fd116c.jpg

IMG_8690_zps52c32fdd.jpg

Ok Im back :) Finished  for the most part besides just sleeving the 2 8-pin PCI-E cables, which I will finish sometime over the weekend :). I built this PC for my 5 year old daughter and the next thing Im going to do with it, is take all the black on the H440 and paint it Pink. This case is extremly clean and if it were much much bigger I would definitely buy it for my own build, other then the case being too small for my own personal gain it is a  great case and looks unbelievably beautiful.

IMG_8724_zps5caa92e6.jpg

IMG_8816WMRS_zps1c95c40e.jpg

FFFORR a 5 YEAR OLD???

Main Gaming PC (new): HP Omen 30L || i9 10850K || RTX 3070 || 512GB WD Blue NVME || 2TB HDD, 4TB HDD, 8TB HDD ||  750W P2 ||  16GB HyperX Black DDR4

Main Gaming PC (old, still own) : Intel Core i7 7700K @5.0Ghz || GPU: GTX 1080 Seahawk EK X || Motherboard: Maximus VIII Impact || Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S || RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 

Cooling: EK XRES D5 100mm || Alphacool ST30 280mm w/ Vardars || Alphacool ST30 240mm w/ Vardars || Swiftech 3/8 x 1/2'' Lok-Seal Compressions || Swiftech EVGA Hydrocopper Block || Primochill Advanced LRT Orange || Distilled Water

Folding@Home Rig: 2x X5690s @4.6Ghz || GPUs: 2x Radeon HD 7990 || Motherboard: EVGA SR-2 || Case: Corsair 900D || RAM: 48GB Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz CL9

Ethereum Mining Rig: Pentium G4400 || Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH || 2x GTX 1060s (Samsung & Hynix) 1x GTX 1070 (Micron), 2x RX480s BIOS modded (Samsung), 1x R9 290X 8GB, 1x GTX 1660 Super = ~ 195 Mh/s

Peripherals: 3x U2412M (5760x1200), 1x U3011 (2560x1600) || Logitech G710 (Cherry Blues) || Logitech G600 || Brainwavz HM5 with @Gofspar Mod 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 || "Infinity Edge" 4K IPS Screen || i7 7700HQ || GTX 1050 || 16GB 2400Mhz RAM 

I'd

Like I said, it's more for aesthetics. I want something similar in color to the case in the 2 ssd slot on the bottom. I could paint them but meh. Plus, I like the skulls. Though, I might actually add a Samsung 840 to the inside down the road if I decide I need more room for storage. Plus they have a great warranty for longer than I'll probably have the drives.

I wouldn't suggest this!

Having the above the config with the x61 as intake at the front and top and rear as exhaust will cause massive negative pressure meaning lots of dust!!

I have a 280mm rad at the fron (CPU AIO) as intake as pull config,

3x120mm at top as intake

and a 140mm rad (GPU AIO) at the back as exhaust as push pull.

Having the front and top as intake creates the positive pressure.

What would be more ideal is to have 3x120mm at the front as intake and the 280mm rad at top as exhaust with the 140 at the back (the rads have restricted air flow so this would be the best option)

I was under impression that you wanted negative pressure in your case. It's going to be on my desk in all its glory anyway and I'll clean it all the time. It shouldn't that big of deal. Obviously, if dust becomes an issue I'll have to rethink this.

Small fans are notorious for being loud, which is why they are now almost completely phased out.

What I would do though is block the holes with tape. I did this on my own build per another members suggestion. This stop hot air from the case bleeding back into the shroud then then going back through the rad.

This is a view of the front of my case with a 280mm rad installed, I later blocked the lower open portion with electrical tape. You can see the holes on the right side (where the shroud intake is located) is already tapped up.

Funny story, I just took a few small fans out my now 7 year old rig that I built before I actually had an idea of what I was doing cooling wise. It was always soooo loud, now that I took them out its night and day. I get what you're saying though, I just wish I could throw another 120 in there or something. I know its kind of lame but the pump on the x61 is the only pump I like the logo of otherwise I'd probably be using a 240 or 360 in front. Might even see if I can mod it to fit another 120 in the bottom. You're right on the small fans though, dumb idea...

Anyone have any thoughts on high SP or high AF fans on top for exhaust?

Case: NZXT H440 CPU: i7 4790k CPU Cooler: Kraken x61 Motherboard: Sabertooth Mark 1 RAM: Dominator Platinum 16gb Storage: 120gb EVO 840/WD 750gb GPU: 2x Nvidia GTX 970 PSU: EVGA 850 G2

PCPartPicker Link: http://pcpartpicker.com/b/m9yfrH

FFFORR a 5 YEAR OLD???

Yes for a 5 year old.

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

730 series SSDs came way down in price, they're practically the same.

And intel SSDs are really the gold standard for ssds, the tiny extra price is justifiable

sorry but, at least here in the uk, the samsung is £90 vs the 730 @ £140 thats a huge difference given there roughly the same with the evo coming out slightly ahead http://ssd.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Samsung-840-Evo-250GB-vs-Intel-730-Series-240GB/1594vs2031

Like I said, it's more for aesthetics. I want something similar in color to the case in the 2 ssd slot on the bottom. I could paint them but meh. Plus, I like the skulls. Though, I might actually add a Samsung 840 to the inside down the road if I decide I need more room for storage. Plus they have a great warranty for longer than I'll probably have the drives.

its up to you and i get the aesthetic thing (done it myself) but if your going white and black the evos are black and look good in there from other builds i have seen.  just thought id mention

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

I was under impression that you wanted negative pressure in your case. It's going to be on my desk in all its glory anyway and I'll clean it all the time. It shouldn't that big of deal. Obviously, if dust becomes an issue I'll have to rethink this.

Funny story, I just took a few small fans out my now 7 year old rig that I built before I actually had an idea of what I was doing cooling wise. It was always soooo loud, now that I took them out its night and day. I get what you're saying though, I just wish I could throw another 120 in there or something. I know its kind of lame but the pump on the x61 is the only pump I like the logo of otherwise I'd probably be using a 240 or 360 in front. Might even see if I can mod it to fit another 120 in the bottom. You're right on the small fans though, dumb idea...

Anyone have any thoughts on high SP or high AF fans on top for exhaust?

noo.. You always want positive pressure, its not just for dust, it helps with cooling as well.

GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 @1500mhz + 8000Mhz CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k Delided and Overclocked @4.8  MB: ASUS MAXIMUS VIII IMPACT  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory CPU Cooler: Corsair HG10+ H90 +H90 CASE: Corsair 380T  Storage: 120GB Samsung Evo SSD + Crucail 256GB Mx100 + 2TB Seagate/  OS: Windows 10 64bit Power supply:  Corsair RM750

sorry but, at least here in the uk, the samsung is £90 vs the 730 @ £140 thats a huge difference given there roughly the same with the evo coming out slightly ahead http://ssd.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Samsung-840-Evo-250GB-vs-Intel-730-Series-240GB/1594vs2031

Yeah here in the US they're about the same price give or take $10 depending on sales.

its up to you and i get the aesthetic thing (done it myself) but if your going white and black the evos are black and look good in there from other builds i have seen. just thought id mention

I should have been clearer, I don't want to break up the white bottom with black or the blank ssd trays which is why I'm getting 2. This is obviously personal preference and only added for clarification. Now if I was rocking the black/red h440 I'd be right there with you.

noo.. You always want positive pressure, its not just for dust, it helps with cooling as well.

It seems you're correct after some more research. I'm just kind of stuck on the push/pull in the front because 1. there's no room on the top for p/p and 2. I want he cooler ambient air pulled through the rad. I'll just have to do some tweeking on fan speeds and fan setup when I have the case in front of me.

Case: NZXT H440 CPU: i7 4790k CPU Cooler: Kraken x61 Motherboard: Sabertooth Mark 1 RAM: Dominator Platinum 16gb Storage: 120gb EVO 840/WD 750gb GPU: 2x Nvidia GTX 970 PSU: EVGA 850 G2

Yeah here in the US they're about the same price give or take $10 depending on sales.

I should have been clearer, I don't want to break up the white bottom with black or the blank ssd trays which is why I'm getting 2. This is obviously personal preference and only added for clarification. Now if I was rocking the black/red h440 I'd be right there with you.

It seems you're correct after some more research. I'm just kind of stuck on the push/pull in the front because 1. there's no room on the top for p/p and 2. I want he cooler ambient air pulled through the rad. I'll just have to do some tweeking on fan speeds and fan setup when I have the case in front of me.

well i expect pics when you build it!

For sure! Nobody I know cares so I'll subject the internet to my showings off. It's hard being the only computer nerd I know...

Anyone have any opinions on lighting? I was thinking of using the NZXT strips because I kind of like the spaced out light it projects and they don't seem crazy bright. I was also considering using white led fans.

i'm about to upgrade the front fan have anyone try SP120 in the front? Will it perform better than AF120?

i'm about to upgrade the front fan have anyone try SP120 in the front? Will it perform better than AF120?

I have Sp120 Quite PWM at the top since i have a rad at the front, but yes SP would perform better on front and top of a H440 due to the restricted air flow

Just bought mine. When installing the Motherboard all I need to do is drop it in right? as it has stands off installed and then screw it in? or do I need to remove / add anything, thanks.

congratulations!

place the I/O shield first and then lay the mobo into the case. NZXT already has

the standoffs in the ATX position.

Got mine as an early Christmas gift. It's very spacious and I managed to easily get clean cable management done. Mine is red and black, oc'd my 4790k to 4.690 GHz and I'm considering water cooling cause I've seen some amazing custom loops done on this case.

SO, I've actually had this case for a couple of weeks, as well as the MSI Z97S Krait Edition. I just finally sold my old build that I had in the Define R4, and ran to microcenter to grab the base components for this one.

First thing I noticed: Wow the cable management is awesome, case looks great.
Second thing I noticed: The plastic they use for the window sucks. I already have a big scratch and I barely touched it.

V7rfkwQ.jpg

I plan on getting white cable extensions, grabbing a swiftech h220x and a block for the gpu, as well as getting 2x4GB sticks of white hyperx ram and putting them in the black dimm slots. Some white case lights and I'll be done with it.

Also I'm not sure if I will keep the stock fans or grab some Fractal Silent series fans, because I was very happy with those.

Tallgeese VI Build log coming soon!!
NZXT H440 | Intel Core i5-4690K | MSI Z97S Krait Edition | 12GB Corsair XMS3 | EVGA GTX970 Superclocked | Samsung 840 EVO 240GB, WD Blue 320GB | Corsair CX600M

Elite Dangerous: CMDR Zorin Kay'Van

congratulations!

place the I/O shield first and then lay the mobo into the case. NZXT already has

the standoffs in the ATX position.

Then I screw the board into the stand offs? I have seen a middle pin, should I keep that in? thanks.

H440 White/black

Maximus VII Hero

Asus gtx 980 Stirx

Kraken x61

SP/AF Corsair fans

I'd get a 970 and the i7, rather then an i5 and a 980 imo.

SO, I've actually had this case for a couple of weeks, as well as the MSI Z97S Krait Edition. I just finally sold my old build that I had in the Define R4, and ran to microcenter to grab the base components for this one.

First thing I noticed: Wow the cable management is awesome, case looks great.

Second thing I noticed: The plastic they use for the window sucks. I already have a big scratch and I barely touched it.

V7rfkwQ.jpg

I plan on getting white cable extensions, grabbing a swiftech h220x and a block for the gpu, as well as getting 2x4GB sticks of white hyperx ram and putting them in the black dimm slots. Some white case lights and I'll be done with it.

Also I'm not sure if I will keep the stock fans or grab some Fractal Silent series fans, because I was very happy with those.

Yeah, that's the same thing that happened to me. Gonna go to a shop with my step dad where he told me a buddy of his can cut me some Plexiglas so I can swap out the stock window. 

I'd get a 970 and the i7, rather then an i5 and a 980 imo.

I think I'll do that. Then I can just get a x31/x41 and a g10 bracket and overclock the 970 and still have it cost less and it will leave me some more room cost-wise for fans. Plus, that g10 bracket is oh so tasty looking. Who knows though, I'll probably change my mind another 8,000 times before I actually order anything this week...

I think I'll do that. Then I can just get a x31/x41 and a g10 bracket and overclock the 970 and still have it cost less and it will leave me some more room cost-wise for fans. Plus, that g10 bracket is oh so tasty looking. Who knows though, I'll probably change my mind another 8,000 times before I actually order anything this week...

There is also the new corsair HG10 bracket, dont know when its gona be available so the look might be better for you but i prefer the G10

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/landing/hg10

There is also the new corsair HG10 bracket, dont know when its gona be available so the look might be better for you but i prefer the G10

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/landing/hg10

It seems to be available now but I still like the G10 better. Plus I'm using the kraken coolers because cool broken up circles and name>sailboat and name. Also, having NZXT case, cooler, and GPU braket is the bees knees imo, especially since NZXT has a great style to thier products.

Now, anyone want to measure the inside of the front drive bay for me? I want to see if I can turn a x41 sideways, I need like 173mm.

I just finished an X99 build in this case with a Corsair H105 AIO in push/pull config. Everything fit really well and with a total of 8 fans in the case I was able to overclock the 5820k up to 4.5GHz stable at ~72C. Overclocked the MSI GTX 970 to 1.5GHz GPU and 8GHz memory. This really is an excellent case in aesthetics and functionality (IMHO).

Here are some pics. (Yes, I took these of my actual system. Sorry, some people keep asking me on other forums!)

post-166089-0-26535800-1417550006.jpg

post-166089-0-12538100-1417549976.jpgpost-166089-0-61775600-1417550031.jpg

post-166089-0-16988900-1417550052.jpgpost-166089-0-52222300-1417550058.jpg

Hope you enjoy!

Asenna32