AVR vs. Dedicated headphone amp/dac combo

Gasp_

Hi, first post here!

I tried asking this at head fi, but got no answers. Hope to get some info here. I have Beyers 990`s Premium 250ohm cans. Driven them now from Harman Kardon AVR-255 7.1, it cost 700€ years ago.. It has Cirrus Logic CS42528 DAC.  And the specs for the DAC:

Cirrus-logic-cs42528
114 dB, 192 kHz 8-Ch Codec with S/PDIF Receiver
Features
Eight 24-bit D/A, two 24-bit A/D Converters
114 dB DAC / 114 dB ADC Dynamic Range
-100 dB THD+N

It has no problem to drive my Beyers. It also has Dolby Headphone mode, which is very nice for the movies (esp. with 990`s). Other headphones are Senns 558 modded. I like much more beyers.

Question is do i get "whoa" effect if i drive my cans from 02D, Schiit Magni/Modi (save me from the hate, they have very good reviews by gold ears and many says they are better than 02 too)??

And what about if i put more money in the table? Lets say Lehmann Rhinelander (350€)? http://www.whathifi.com/review/lehmann-rhinelander

I am not gold ear, but i want to know if normal person can hear the difference avr vs dedicated headphone amp plus dac? Do i get more purer / more "hifi" sound from latter? Money isn`t problem, i want to enjoy as much as i can. But only if i can hear the difference.

Or would you say that i have too cheap headphones to start with? Many people say these cheapos cans don`t need headphone amp and can be driven nicely with avr. But if i buy example. Beyers T1, they would most likely benefit alot more (dedicated amp+dac) vs 990`s?

I listen Flacs, 320kbs mp3 (rock/heavy..) Watch lot of movies with my headphones, because there is no problem with neighbours then. ;) I don`t have any problem now. But there is always the thing in mind that you want someting more/better . :P

I asked Headphonia for this and he said: "I used to power my DT990 too with my integrated receiver, however when amping it with a dedicated headphone amp you get a completely different sound. To my tastes az much better sound because a lot of these receivers aren't really adapted for headphones. In conclusion, yes, it will sound different."

And questioned about Schiit or same price set..

"If you're happy with how the DT sounds on your Integrated, stick to it and enjoy. I think it is better than a low fi budget setup. "

You might want a amp/dac combo if you invest in something like a T1.

But Harman Kardon makes really good stuff, and for 700 euro I would hope the headphone amp included with it isn't garbage. Typically older vintage receivers are the ones with better amps in them, where most newer receives don't put much attention to the headphone amplifier since they're not as important as they used to be, and aren't frequently used.

You should be fine as you are, you likely won't notice much a difference with your current equipment. And don't bother investing in overpriced schitt.

Error: 410

Question is do i get "whoa" effect if i drive my cans from 02D, Schiit Magni/Modi

Negatory. Maybe with a lower impedance headphone, but unlikely with a 250ohm Beyerdynamic.

(save me from the hate, they have very good reviews by gold ears and many says they are better than 02 too)

post-2468-0-86107700-1392694175.jpg

Thx guys for your input. Still waiting more answers, but i had a feeling this was coming. Really there seems to be much power available in Harmann. But i always think is the sound as good as dedicated headphone amp. Those goldears are talking all fancy words with these little amps;

Sound stage and 3-dimensionality in example could be wider, deeper and better. There could be even more detail and air in the sound and there are amps with blacker back grounds on the market and there of course are more resolving amplifiers. Bass is great. It is tight and fast with a good amount of body. Maybe even a little too much body for some or with some headphones but I found it just perfect, it doesn’t overpower the mids but it is very present. The mids section is where the A20 really shines: clear, smooth and musical mids with good body and lovely detail, what’s not to like? The treble section to me isn’t too bright but I can imagine it being a bit hot when using a treble liking headphone like the DT880 in example. :rolleyes:

What about the Lehmann Rhinelander, costing little more than o2 and Schiit..? Same story? Ohh i forgot also the sound differences from the Dac`s. :wacko: These guys can hear differences in cables too. Maybe they keep those golden mickey mouse ears(ShearMe pic) on when they mambo jambo with their wifes/guys. :ph34r:

Hi, first post here!

Question is do i get "whoa" effect if i drive my cans from 02D, Schiit Magni/Modi (save me from the hate, they have very good reviews by gold ears and many says they are better than 02 too)??

No hate, The LTT Forum is not sponsored by audio companies (in fact only occasional by intel)  So there is no pressure on these forums to moderate reviews or perceptions, we are free to tell it like it is without facing the threat of being banned (assuming we have evidence to back up what we say). 

The issue I have with headfi is that over the years the products that seem to be popular and the members that seem to be popular are the ones that support the current line of sponsors.  Which isn't very unbiased and leaves me concerned that any advice from the site can be trusted.  Fortunately for me I have been in this along time and don't need advice when buying, just moral support for spending copious amounts of cash on gear that won't put food on the table or petrol in the car.

Now to the topic,  I wouldn't bother with a dedicated dac/amp unless you are getting the itch to get into this as a serious hobby, are you going to buy more headphones and more dacs and build up a collection?  If so then just do it and enjoy.  However if you are after a single shot solution to last you a while then I don't think there will be any wow factor in a dac/amp. your more likely to get that from using an eq or trying different headphones.

My 2c.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.