Are SSD's actually reliable?

Raphhashem
Go to solution Solved by brob,

I'm unsure whether I should buy an ssd as I always hear about limited reads and writes they can perform before they die. I've never heard this about standard hard drives and somehow I've never had a hard drive die on me. I'm still using a 20gb maxtor hard drive as a boot from, I can't even remember when. I have a 1tb Wd blue hard drive for games and pretty much everything though. If I buy an SSD and use it as a boot drive, will it last me? And would it be worth it on sata two?

"I'm planning on buying a Samsung 840 EVO 120gb ssd and want to use it as a boot drive. Will it last as long as my normal hard drive  and be worth using on sata II?"

http://techreport.com/review/25889/the-ssd-endurance-experiment-500tb-update

No I haven't used an SSD and I gave valid reasons throughout my posts as to why I and some others have not jumped on board with these.  There just really is no point in me getting one at this time and for many reasons I can't recommend others getting them in certain situations ... many situations honestly.

Don't you find it curious that those who give ssd a serious try end up becoming committed proponents?

slightly off topic, so I'm considering going with two SSDs in RAID 0 and ditching HDD completely. I believe linus mentioned that RAID 0 has a higher chance of failure, but in real life how likely is it to fail?

All RAID arrays are not only open to unit failure, they can also be broken because of logical issues. (Things like a BIOS being flashed and the SATA mode not being reset to RAID before the system tries to boot.) The problem with RAID 0 is that unlike other levels is offers no protection from unit failure and suffers complete loss of data should the array break.

Besides, except in situation where large serial writes and reads occur ssd in RAID 0 can perform worse than a single large drive, http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-raid-benchmark,3485-13.html.

I'm unsure whether I should buy an ssd as I always hear about limited reads and writes they can perform before they die. I've never heard this about standard hard drives and somehow I've never had a hard drive die on me. I'm still using a 20gb maxtor hard drive as a boot from, I can't even remember when. I have a 1tb Wd blue hard drive for games and pretty much everything though. If I buy an SSD and use it as a boot drive, will it last me? And would it be worth it on sata two?

"I'm planning on buying a Samsung 840 EVO 120gb ssd and want to use it as a boot drive. Will it last as long as my normal hard drive  and be worth using on sata II?"

"Lost in the woods, but DAMN these trees are cool!"

their more reliable then spiny disks  

Specs

CPU: i5 4670k i won the silicon lottery Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Corsair SP120 quiet editions Mobo: ASUS Z97 SABERTOOTH MARK 1 Ram: Corsair Platnums 16gb (4x4gb) Storage: Samsun 840 evo 256gb and random hard drives GPU: EVGA acx 2.0 gtx 980 PSU: Corsair RM 850w Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2 windowed 

If you just use it for reading then it should outlast a regular harddrive. Write to it however and it will degrade relatively quickly depending on your usage.

Still learning how to play Dota 2 :)

your SSD will out last your system, in theory. they are very much reliable. just bought 2x 120gb evo the other day. 

CM Storm Switch Tester MOD (In-Progress) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/409147-cm-storm-switch-tester-macro-mod/

Ammo Can Speaker 02 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/283826-ammo-can-speakers-02/       A/B Switch V 0.5 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/362417-ab-switch-v0

Build 01 - The Life of a Prodigy -  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/13103-build-01-the-life-of-a-prodigy/             Build 02 - Silent Server 3000 - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/116670-build-02-silent-server-3000/

A modern ssd should last longer than you need it to and is generally more reliable than the fragile ticking time bomb that is the hdd.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-reliability-failure-rate,2923-3.html

http://us.hardware.info/reviews/4178/10/hardwareinfo-tests-lifespan-of-samsung-ssd-840-250gb-tlc-ssd-updated-with-final-conclusion-final-update-20-6-2013

What makes a ssd feel snappy is the random read speed and random seek time. Sata 3gb/s will not bottleneck that. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

You will upgrade the SSD before it even comes close to dying.

Muh rig: i7 4770k, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, MSI Z87 G45, Kingston Hyper X Blu 8GB, Samsung 840 EVO 120 + WD Blue 1 TB, Asus GTX 770 2GB, Corsair 200r + 2x Corsair AF 120 Blue + 1x Stock corsair fan, Corsair TX650, LG 27EA33V IPS, Steelseries Sensei Raw + QCK mini, CM Quickfire Ultimate Blue.

Throughout my experience, I have never had a drive die. So I can't speak as to the quality of SSDs. I do still have a 2006 WD Caviar SE that works fine

[AMD Athlon 64 Mobile 4000+ Socket 754 | Gigabyte GA-K8NS Pro nForce3 | OCZ 2GB DDR PC3200 | Sapphire HD 3850 512MB AGP | 850 Evo | Seasonic 430W | Win XP/10]

Love my hard drives.  I have never had one die.  I did have one DOA but quickly replaced by NCIX and not a problem with the drive I was given.  As for SSDs the more you write to them the closer they are to death.  Also if you don't shut your pc off who cares about fast boot up times benefit from an SSD.  Seriously no need for SSDs in my household.

In regards to them being reliable I haven't heard as many bad things about them after some real stinks from OCZ long ago and I believe OCZ isn't even around as a company anymore.  Is that correct?

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

I have two Samsung 830 256GB SSDs, which I am abusing for a 1 year now. I have made at least 3-4 Windows reinstalls with all of the programs, which go with it, I have installed and deleted at least 200GB of games multiple times, etc., and their health status in S.M.A.R.T. is still at maximum. This means that they are pretty reliable indeed. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

Love my hard drives.  I have never had one die.  I did have one DOA but quickly replaced by NCIX and not a problem with the drive I was given.  As for SSDs the more you write to them the closer they are to death.  Also if you don't shut your pc off who cares about fast boot up times benefit from an SSD.  Seriously no need for SSDs in my household.

In regards to them being reliable I haven't heard as many bad things about them after some real stinks from OCZ long ago and I believe OCZ isn't even around as a company anymore.  Is that correct?

This is the most ignorant thing I have ever read with regards to PC hardware. It's not about just fast boot up times. You will experience no lag when opening up programs, your computer will be more responsive, your games will load in like half the time...etc. 

My Personal Rig - AMD 3970X | ASUS sTRX4-Pro | RTX 2080 Super | 64GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB DDR4 | CoolerMaster H500P Mesh

My Wife's Rig - AMD 3900X | MSI B450I Gaming | 5500 XT 4GB | 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 | Silverstone SG13 White

This is the most ignorant thing I have ever read with regards to PC hardware. It's not about just fast boot up times. You will experience no lag when opening up programs, your computer will be more responsive, your games will load in like half the time...etc.

I am not ignorant of the fact that little things will load up quicker but seriously when it comes to games generally the only benefit is loading cg movies quicker.  Big freaking deal.  Sorry but I would rather have a hard drive and oh hey what is the GB per dollar ratio for SSDs? 

I have two Samsung 830 256GB SSDs, which I am abusing for a 1 year now. I have made at least 3-4 Windows reinstalls with all of the programs, which go with it, I have installed and deleted at least 200GB of games multiple times, etc., and their health status in S.M.A.R.T. is still at maximum. This means that they are pretty reliable indeed. 

Yeah and how much did those 2 x Samsung 830 256 GB SSDs cost you?

Yeah and how much did those 2 x Samsung 830 256 GB SSDs cost you?

A lot, something like 500 euros back in the day. :D But it is still much faster than a HDD.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

I bought a m4 512GB about 3 years ago and its been trucking along ever since. I have done probably about 5-6 reinstalls of the machine since then, its get heavily used everyday, I benchmark on it and do quite a lot of professional work that reads and writes a lot of files with it. Currently it tells me its got 99% of its life left. I have literally barely scratched the surface of the disks usable life, its almost new.

I have a much older Intel 80GB first gen SSD that I have had since they came out. Its been installed in many different computers, only used for work (which in my case is heavy on the small disk writes as a programmer) and has been reinstalled in terms of OS and such about 25 times. It must be 5 years old now, maybe 6 and its showing 94% of its life remaining.

Saying that I have had 2 Vertex 2E's die on me within just a little over a year.

I think the wear for SSDs is basically a none issue for most people. You can write Peta Byte's of writes to them before they fail and no one does that in the life time of the drive. Their reliability however is still questionable, they aren't at the quality of RAM/CPU/GPUs in terms of being solid state devices. They still fail like hard drives although the data tells us they fail a lot less. 

I am not ignorant of the fact that little things will load up quicker but seriously when it comes to games generally the only benefit is loading cg movies quicker. Big freaking deal. Sorry but I would rather have a hard drive and oh hey what is the GB per dollar ratio for SSDs?

Have you used an SSD? If that's your argument, you clearly haven't.

My Personal Rig - AMD 3970X | ASUS sTRX4-Pro | RTX 2080 Super | 64GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB DDR4 | CoolerMaster H500P Mesh

My Wife's Rig - AMD 3900X | MSI B450I Gaming | 5500 XT 4GB | 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 | Silverstone SG13 White

Depends on the drive and use case.

If you put a consumer SSD into an enterprise storage machine and run your storage off of that, it'll probably be dead within weeks. On the other hand if you put an enterprise SSD into a consumer gaming PC, it'll last for decades. Similarly with hard drives, a WD Blue or Seagate Barracuda in a rack with spinning disks and fans creating vibrations will die pretty quickly. Using a WD RE or a Constellation in your gaming PC will probably outlast its warranty by several years. Appropriately matching the drive you purchase to your needs will ensure your drive lasts close to your warranty.

With that said, SSDs are far less likely to die from being dropped or shipped improperly, and generally don't suffer quick deaths as a result of a manufacturing defect like hard drives can.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

Have you used an SSD? If that's your argument, you clearly haven't.

No I haven't used an SSD and I gave valid reasons throughout my posts as to why I and some others have not jumped on board with these.  There just really is no point in me getting one at this time and for many reasons I can't recommend others getting them in certain situations ... many situations honestly.

How can you possibly, with any validity, claim that SSDs are not required when you have not used one? 

Of course, you're entitled to your own opinion, but I personally have used both SSDs and HDDs, so have many others who are in favour of using an SSD. 

SSDs are expensive, but they are definitively worth it. Once you get one, there is no turning back! You will never want to use a traditional HDD for your Windows and programs, only for mass storage or a scratch disk (what I am doing with mine). 

HDD vs SSD is like membrane vs mechanical... Why get mechanical if you can type on a membrane keyboard?

your SSD will out last your system, in theory. they are very much reliable. just bought 2x 120gb evo the other day. 

Bought two Evo's and has a glorious beard? Ladies, this man is a winner!

phanteks enthoo pro | intel i5 4690k | noctua nh-d14 | msi z97 gaming 5 | 16gb crucial ballistix tactical | msi gtx970 4G OC  | adata sp900

I use 2 SSDs as read and write caches for a server, and these things see terrabytes worth of read/write cycles. Not had one fail on me yet.

Bought two Evo's and has a glorious beard? Ladies, this man is a winner!

I know right! How the heck am I still single?!

CM Storm Switch Tester MOD (In-Progress) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/409147-cm-storm-switch-tester-macro-mod/

Ammo Can Speaker 02 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/283826-ammo-can-speakers-02/       A/B Switch V 0.5 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/362417-ab-switch-v0

Build 01 - The Life of a Prodigy -  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/13103-build-01-the-life-of-a-prodigy/             Build 02 - Silent Server 3000 - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/116670-build-02-silent-server-3000/