Extending Ethernet Through My Home

The Old Myron Siren

For a while now I've had my server rack in my actual bedroom seeing as that is where my main computer is setup and I want to be hardwired on both my servers and my daily driver. However, the noise has been far too much to bear and I finally cracked and moved it into an empty bedroom across the house. This of course meant I had to move my modem and router there as well to maintain a wired connection for the server, leaving my daily driver at the mercy of WiFi. I thought about running cables through my walls and ceiling for the connection, but I also know that there are coaxial adapters exactly for this. I'm fine dropping about 100-150 bucks on adapters if it saves me the day or so of running cables through the walls. I've tried a set of power line adapters previously but I believe the way my houses power is wired, it causes issues. Even when the plugs are in the same room (and same breaker) I can't seem to get above 10-15Mbs even though they are advertised for a full gigabit. What are my options here? I found this pair of coaxial adapters and figured it should do the trick? Thank in advance guys!

Workstation/Gaming Rig - Asus Crosshair VI Hero | Ryzen 9 3900x | B | Zotac RTX 3090 | 1TB Sabrent NVMe, 2TB Seagate HDD

Home Server - Asus Strix x370 Gaming-F | Ryzen 7 1700x | 2x8GB DDR4 G.SKILL Trident Z RG | Zotac GTX 970 | PNY 120GB SATA SSD, Kingston 480GB SATA SSD 6x4TB HP MidLine HDD, Seagate 3TB HDD, Seagate 8TB HDD

In my experience powerline adapters really only work with newer wiring/newer homes, my parent house was built in the late 80's I believe and I couldn't get speeds past 15mb/s as well. In my home I just bought, the basement was unfinished until 2016 so the wiring is newer and the powerline adapter works perfectly. I do not have experience with coaxial adapters so maybe others can provide guidance. 

AMD Motherboard Tier List  GPU Cooling Tier List  PSU Tier List  A Dive Into Custom Keyboards & Mechanical Switches

NEWCOMERS Remember to ' Reply ' to comments in order for people to see them, this is done by clicking the arrow icon at the bottom of a comment (Quote).

My Builds:

MEGA Desk Build

Blueberry Pi  R9 3950X  Asus X470 ROG Crosshair VII Hero Wi-Fi ATX  Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 4x16GB 3200MHz CL16  EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC Black Edition 11GB  EVGA P2 850W w/ Blue Sleeved Cables  Cryorig R1 Universal (Blue)  2x Corsair Force MP510 4TB w/ Asus Hyper m.2 V2  Corsair ML Pro Blue LED Fans  Fractal Design Meshify C TG ATX Mid Tower  

Asus ROG SWIFT PG348Q 100Hz IPS G-Sync UW  Dell UltraSharp U3419W 60Hz IPS UW  Custom TOFU96  Corsair Scimitar Pro RGB 

Work Rig  ThreadRipper 3970X  Asus Prime TRX40 Pro ATX  G.Skill RipjawsV 8x32GB 3200Mhz CL16  Nvidia Quadro RTX 6000 24GB  Corsair HXi 1000W  EVGA CLC 360 AIO  8x Sabrent Rocket 2TB w/ 2x Asus Hyper m.2 V2   Arctic P12 Fans  Phanteks P400A ATX Mid Tower 

Plotting Machine 1  ThreadRipper 2990WX  AsRock X399 Taichi ATX  Kingston HyperX Fury 8x16GB 2666Mhz CL18   Nvidia Quadro K600 1GB  Corsair RMx 850W  EVGA CLC 360 AIO ‖ 2x Sabrent Rocket 2TB & 2x Sabrent Rocket 4TB w/ Asus Hyper m.2 V2  Arctic P12 Fans  Rosewill RSV-L4500 4U  5x Dell DS60 60-bay JBOD w/ 1.2PB of HDD Storage  HP 22U Half Rack

Plotting Machine 2  R9 3950X  Asus TUF X570-Plus Wi-Fi ATX  G.Skill RipjawsV 4x16GB 3200Mhz CL16   Nvidia Quadro K600 1GB  Corsair RM 650W  Noctua NH-D15s Chormax ‖ 4x Corsair MP600 Force 1TB W/ Asus Hyper m.2 Gen4  Arctic P14 & P12 Fans  Silverstone FARA R1 ATX Mid Tower

J.A.R.V.I.S.  R9 3900XT  Asus B550-I ROG STRIX Wi-Fi ITX  G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16  EVGA GTX 1080 SC2 iCX 8GB  Corsair SF 750W Platinum  Corsair H100i Pro AIO  Noctua NF-A12x15 Chromax Fans  FormD T1 SFF ITX Case  

LG 75UM8070PUA 4K UHD 120Hz IPS HDR TV  Corsair K63 Cherry MX Red Special Edition Wireless  Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless

Archive Server  R3 2200G  Asus B450-I ROG STRIX Wi-Fi ITX  Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16 White  Vega Integrated Graphics  EVGA P2 750W  Prism Wraith Cooler  ITX Open Bench  2x HP SAS Expander  LSI-SAS9211  220TB of HDD Storage

SFF ITX Home PC  i5-7500  MSI B250I Gaming Pro Wi-Fi AC ITX  G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x8GB 2800MHz  Intel Integrated Graphics  Seasonic SSP Flex ATX 300W PSU  Cryorig C7  Velka 3 rev 1.2 SFF ITX Case (Grey)  

Laptop  Dell XPS13 2-in-1 7390 (2020)  i7-1065G7  32GB 3733MHz LPDDR4x  Intel Integrated Graphics  1TB NVME M.2  UHD+ (3840 x 2400) InfinityEdge Touch Display 

Keyboard Collection  GMMK Full Size  TOFU96 90%  ‖ KBD8x MKII TKL ‖ Drop CTRL High Profile TKL ‖ KBD Bella 75% ‖ GMMK Pro 75% ‖ XD84 Pro 75%  KBD67 V2 MKII 65%  KBD67Lite 65%  TOFU65 65%  KBD Blade 60%  Drop Carina 60%  Southpaw75 60% w/ Left Numpad  OLKB Preonic V3 Ortholinear ‖ CosPad XD24  ‖ KBDPad MKII

Key Cap Collection  GMK Boba Fett  GMK Red Samurai  GMK Laser CyberDeck +Novalties  GMK Arch  MaxKey B&W  Drop MT3 Camillo ‖ Matt3o MT3 /dev/tty  KBDfans Biip Torii Ext-2048  ePBT Less But Better +Novalties  EnjoyPBT Dolch  WinMix Mustard  Drop Skylight Horizon & Slate ‖ Glorious Black Aura   

Mechanical Key Switch Collection  Zealios V2 65g  Zealios V2 78g ‖ Zilents V2 67g  Tealios V2 67g  C³ Kiwi ‖ C³ Tangerine  Invyr Holy Panda  Durock T1 67g  Kailh Box Thick Jades ‖ Kailh Box Royal ‖ Kailh Box Heavy Dark Yellow ‖ Kailh Box Heavy Burnt Orange  Kailh Box White  Kailh Box Red  Kailh Pro Purple  Kailh Pro Burgandy  Gateron Ink Black V2  Gateron Black  Gateron Yellow  Gateron Brown  Gateron Green  Gateron Blue ‖ Cherry MX Black ‖ Cherry MX Brown ‖ Cherry MX Red

2 minutes ago, The Old Myron Siren said:

For a while now I've had my server rack in my actual bedroom seeing as that is where my main computer is setup and I want to be hardwired on both my servers and my daily driver. However, the noise has been far too much to bear and I finally cracked and moved it into an empty bedroom across the house. This of course meant I had to move my modem and router there as well to maintain a wired connection for the server, leaving my daily driver at the mercy of WiFi. I thought about running cables through my walls and ceiling for the connection, but I also know that there are coaxial adapters exactly for this. I'm fine dropping about 100-150 bucks on adapters if it saves me the day or so of running cables through the walls. I've tried a set of power line adapters previously but I believe the way my houses power is wired, it causes issues. Even when the plugs are in the same room (and same breaker) I can't seem to get above 10-15Mbs even though they are advertised for a full gigabit. What are my options here? I found this pair of coaxial adapters and figured it should do the trick? Thank in advance guys!

I'm assuming that the in-wall coaxial cables were run for cable TV, which would mean that they all converge at a central point in the attic, for example, where the cable company installed a cable TV line for your house. If this is a case, I don't see those adapters working in this case as one room's coaxial endpoint isn't necessarily directly connected to another room's coaxial endpoint so you won't be able to get any communication between them.

Have you considered replacing the coaxial cables with ethernet? If the coaxial cables are already wired into wall conduits, use them to pull through ethernet to a central point. Crimp your cables and install wall plates. Much neater and you get the solid speed that you need. Alternatively, if the conduits are large enough to accommodate 2 cables, run the ethernet alongside the coaxial and use the appropriate dual-outlet wall plates at the walls, so you don't loose coax.

9 minutes ago, Falcon1986 said:

I'm assuming that the in-wall coaxial cables were run for cable TV, which would mean that they all converge at a central point in the attic, for example, where the cable company installed a cable TV line for your house. If this is a case, I don't see those adapters working in this case as one room's coaxial endpoint isn't necessarily directly connected to another room's coaxial endpoint so you won't be able to get any communication between them.

Have you considered replacing the coaxial cables with ethernet? If the coaxial cables are already wired into wall conduits, use them to pull through ethernet to a central point. Crimp your cables and install wall plates. Much neater and you get the solid speed that you need. Alternatively, if the conduits are large enough to accommodate 2 cables, run the ethernet alongside the coaxial and use the appropriate dual-outlet wall plates at the walls, so you don't loose coax.

If all the coax cables are run to a central hub, you should be able to use a coupler to join two of them together. As for replacing the coax with ethernet, the coax is likely stapled or somehow kept in place behind the walls. If the coax goes straight up into the attic it shouldn't be too bad, but in my house the coax goes horizontally through the walls instead of up to the attic. 

14 minutes ago, JM21 said:

In my experience powerline adapters really only work with newer wiring/newer homes, my parent house was built in the late 80's I believe and I couldn't get speeds past 15mb/s as well. In my home I just bought, the basement was unfinished until 2016 so the wiring is newer and the powerline adapter works perfectly. I do not have experience with coaxial adapters so maybe others can provide guidance. 

I believe our house was build around 2008/2010 so its somewhat recent, but, I agree that its more than likely something to do with the wiring.

Workstation/Gaming Rig - Asus Crosshair VI Hero | Ryzen 9 3900x | B | Zotac RTX 3090 | 1TB Sabrent NVMe, 2TB Seagate HDD

Home Server - Asus Strix x370 Gaming-F | Ryzen 7 1700x | 2x8GB DDR4 G.SKILL Trident Z RG | Zotac GTX 970 | PNY 120GB SATA SSD, Kingston 480GB SATA SSD 6x4TB HP MidLine HDD, Seagate 3TB HDD, Seagate 8TB HDD

1 minute ago, The_russian said:

If all the coax cables are run to a central hub, you should be able to use a coupler to join two of them together. As for replacing the coax with ethernet, the coax is likely stapled or somehow kept in place behind the walls. If the coax goes straight up into the attic it shouldn't be too bad, but in my house the coax goes horizontally through the walls instead of up to the attic. 

I believe mine go directly downstairs. I'm on the second floor as is the room that the router and modem are in. I believe there is a panel in the garage however which is where our cable line actually comes into the house.

2 minutes ago, The Old Myron Siren said:

I believe mine go directly downstairs. I'm on the second floor as is the room that the router and modem are in. I believe there is a panel in the garage however which is where our cable line actually comes into the house.

Yeah so you should be able to just use a coupler to join two of the cables together. I am in a similar situation and was considering trying MoCA, but my box where all of the cables run to is outside, and I don't want a line for my network running outside were someone could potentially connect to it. If your box is in the garage, I'd say go for it. 

35 minutes ago, The Old Myron Siren said:

I believe our house was build around 2008/2010 so its somewhat recent, but, I agree that its more than likely something to do with the wiring.

Yeah you'd think that would be recent enough, success with powerline adapters is so hit or miss... I've read that if the wiring is on different circuit breakers that may cause as issue as well. Hopefully you find a solution other than running Ethernet!

AMD Motherboard Tier List  GPU Cooling Tier List  PSU Tier List  A Dive Into Custom Keyboards & Mechanical Switches

NEWCOMERS Remember to ' Reply ' to comments in order for people to see them, this is done by clicking the arrow icon at the bottom of a comment (Quote).

My Builds:

MEGA Desk Build

Blueberry Pi  R9 3950X  Asus X470 ROG Crosshair VII Hero Wi-Fi ATX  Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 4x16GB 3200MHz CL16  EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC Black Edition 11GB  EVGA P2 850W w/ Blue Sleeved Cables  Cryorig R1 Universal (Blue)  2x Corsair Force MP510 4TB w/ Asus Hyper m.2 V2  Corsair ML Pro Blue LED Fans  Fractal Design Meshify C TG ATX Mid Tower  

Asus ROG SWIFT PG348Q 100Hz IPS G-Sync UW  Dell UltraSharp U3419W 60Hz IPS UW  Custom TOFU96  Corsair Scimitar Pro RGB 

Work Rig  ThreadRipper 3970X  Asus Prime TRX40 Pro ATX  G.Skill RipjawsV 8x32GB 3200Mhz CL16  Nvidia Quadro RTX 6000 24GB  Corsair HXi 1000W  EVGA CLC 360 AIO  8x Sabrent Rocket 2TB w/ 2x Asus Hyper m.2 V2   Arctic P12 Fans  Phanteks P400A ATX Mid Tower 

Plotting Machine 1  ThreadRipper 2990WX  AsRock X399 Taichi ATX  Kingston HyperX Fury 8x16GB 2666Mhz CL18   Nvidia Quadro K600 1GB  Corsair RMx 850W  EVGA CLC 360 AIO ‖ 2x Sabrent Rocket 2TB & 2x Sabrent Rocket 4TB w/ Asus Hyper m.2 V2  Arctic P12 Fans  Rosewill RSV-L4500 4U  5x Dell DS60 60-bay JBOD w/ 1.2PB of HDD Storage  HP 22U Half Rack

Plotting Machine 2  R9 3950X  Asus TUF X570-Plus Wi-Fi ATX  G.Skill RipjawsV 4x16GB 3200Mhz CL16   Nvidia Quadro K600 1GB  Corsair RM 650W  Noctua NH-D15s Chormax ‖ 4x Corsair MP600 Force 1TB W/ Asus Hyper m.2 Gen4  Arctic P14 & P12 Fans  Silverstone FARA R1 ATX Mid Tower

J.A.R.V.I.S.  R9 3900XT  Asus B550-I ROG STRIX Wi-Fi ITX  G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16  EVGA GTX 1080 SC2 iCX 8GB  Corsair SF 750W Platinum  Corsair H100i Pro AIO  Noctua NF-A12x15 Chromax Fans  FormD T1 SFF ITX Case  

LG 75UM8070PUA 4K UHD 120Hz IPS HDR TV  Corsair K63 Cherry MX Red Special Edition Wireless  Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless

Archive Server  R3 2200G  Asus B450-I ROG STRIX Wi-Fi ITX  Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16 White  Vega Integrated Graphics  EVGA P2 750W  Prism Wraith Cooler  ITX Open Bench  2x HP SAS Expander  LSI-SAS9211  220TB of HDD Storage

SFF ITX Home PC  i5-7500  MSI B250I Gaming Pro Wi-Fi AC ITX  G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x8GB 2800MHz  Intel Integrated Graphics  Seasonic SSP Flex ATX 300W PSU  Cryorig C7  Velka 3 rev 1.2 SFF ITX Case (Grey)  

Laptop  Dell XPS13 2-in-1 7390 (2020)  i7-1065G7  32GB 3733MHz LPDDR4x  Intel Integrated Graphics  1TB NVME M.2  UHD+ (3840 x 2400) InfinityEdge Touch Display 

Keyboard Collection  GMMK Full Size  TOFU96 90%  ‖ KBD8x MKII TKL ‖ Drop CTRL High Profile TKL ‖ KBD Bella 75% ‖ GMMK Pro 75% ‖ XD84 Pro 75%  KBD67 V2 MKII 65%  KBD67Lite 65%  TOFU65 65%  KBD Blade 60%  Drop Carina 60%  Southpaw75 60% w/ Left Numpad  OLKB Preonic V3 Ortholinear ‖ CosPad XD24  ‖ KBDPad MKII

Key Cap Collection  GMK Boba Fett  GMK Red Samurai  GMK Laser CyberDeck +Novalties  GMK Arch  MaxKey B&W  Drop MT3 Camillo ‖ Matt3o MT3 /dev/tty  KBDfans Biip Torii Ext-2048  ePBT Less But Better +Novalties  EnjoyPBT Dolch  WinMix Mustard  Drop Skylight Horizon & Slate ‖ Glorious Black Aura   

Mechanical Key Switch Collection  Zealios V2 65g  Zealios V2 78g ‖ Zilents V2 67g  Tealios V2 67g  C³ Kiwi ‖ C³ Tangerine  Invyr Holy Panda  Durock T1 67g  Kailh Box Thick Jades ‖ Kailh Box Royal ‖ Kailh Box Heavy Dark Yellow ‖ Kailh Box Heavy Burnt Orange  Kailh Box White  Kailh Box Red  Kailh Pro Purple  Kailh Pro Burgandy  Gateron Ink Black V2  Gateron Black  Gateron Yellow  Gateron Brown  Gateron Green  Gateron Blue ‖ Cherry MX Black ‖ Cherry MX Brown ‖ Cherry MX Red

8 hours ago, The Old Myron Siren said:

coaxial adapters and figured it should do the trick?

Yes they should. IF the Coax is used to deliver internet you TV to your home. MAKE SURE you buy a filter to put on the main line coming in from the cable Co. Specifically your looking for a Moca filter, they are less than $10 generally. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.