LTT Folding Team's Emergency Response to Covid-19

Go to solution Solved by GOTSpectrum,

This event has ended and I recommend you guys head over to the Folding Community Board for any general folding conversation. 

33 minutes ago, Daniel_SC said:

I got a 3700X PBO, 200mhz auto OC  and a slight undervolt, with a 1080ti under water. I pulled the sidepanel from my In Win 303 for better airflow. The GPU is doing very well at 46 degrees, but the CPU is running pretty toasty at around 84-87 C. I pulled a 2 cores from folding so at max its folding with 6 + 7 cpu Slots and 1 core for the GPU slot. That helped a bit, but I suspect I need to repaste after the event is done. I am also very tempted to try out Der8auers new OC bracket, which should help a lot with temps in non-constant workflows.

I have a 3800X and gave up on PBO. Sometimes I use Ryzen Master "Creator Mode" profile with Control Mode "Manual" and set the clocks to 4500 at 1.35v. Using a Corsair H115i Pro RGB with upgraded (2,000 rpm) fans. However, generally I just leave it in Default mode, as this seems the most stable. (I folded for about 6 days in Creator mode, but then my system blue screened.) Temperatures are usually at least 2°C lower, and power draw is a few watts less with these Creator Mode settings for my 3800X - you're mileage may vary. In Default mode, current CPU folding temp is 70.1°C according to GPU-Z.

3800x Ryzen Master.png

F@H

Current config:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D, Asus ROG STRIX B650E-F GAMING WIFI, 64GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB DDR5-6000 (30-40-40-96), Aorus RTX3080 TI Xtreme, 2x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, ASUS XG-C100C, Corsair RM850x, Corsair H115i Pro RGB w/ 2,000 rpm ML fans, Fractal Design Meshify S2, NEC MultiSync EA244UHD 24" 4K

7 hours ago, leadeater said:

I'm not even sure it's possible to get 400 billion points in a single day with every computer on earth. Right now all of FAH is 28 billion per day. Also a missed a few zeros on the today column, woops.

The project has... what... almost 3 million donors? If we wildly assume half of people have a computer (3.5 billion)... than this project has ~0.005% of Earth's computers. Even assuming people have multiple computers... that's a way more silly number than 400 billion points a day. Gotta be at LEAST... 420.

My Stats

Gigabyte Z390 AORUS Master/ i9-9900K/ 64GB Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz/ Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 2080 Ti x2 (NVlink)/ 14TB Seagate Barracuda/ 64GB M10 Optane Memory (Modifies 14TB HDD)/ 2TB 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe/ Corsair 1200W HX Series™ Modular 80 Plus®/ Corsair H115i Pro Cooler/ Be Quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 Rev. 2

30 minutes ago, ObeliskAG said:

This means this event ends 1 minute before 00:00 Saturday morning, April 11th BST. In other words April 11, 00:59 UTC. 15 hours from now.

Ends April, 10th (23:59 BST)

Doesn't that mean it will end at the end of tomorrow, 38.5 hours from now, not 15 hours from the time of your post?

14.5 hours from now is April 9th 23:59 or April 10th 00:00.

31 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Today is the last day, 16 hours left.

Are you sure? Shouldn't it be like 38 hours more? 🤔🤔

Favebook's F@H Stats

Favebook's BOINC Stats

CPU i7-8700k (5.0GHz)  Motherboard Aorus Z370 Gaming 7  RAM Vengeance® RGB Pro 16GB DDR4 3200MHz  GPU  Aorus 1080 Ti

Case Carbide Series SPEC-OMEGA  Storage  Samsung Evo 970 1TB & WD Red Pro 10TB

PSU Corsair HX850i  Cooling Custom EKWB loop

Display Acer Predator x34 120Hz

8 minutes ago, ffbr said:

Custom loop for foldy (yeah found a name for it now) :

X470 aorus ultra gaming

seasonic platinum p-1200 (yeah judge me 😋)

Radeon Vega 56 with an watercool heatkiller IV waterblock
Ryzen 5 2600 with an aqua computer cuplex kryos block

one 360mm rad and a 420mmrad all in push configuration with standard noctua

D5 pump and aqua computer reservoir

Case is thermaltake view 31

after 13 days non stop folding with a stable overclock at 4ghz on the cpu and +5% on the gpu (with undervolt):

CPU sit at 65°C (without overclock it was sitting at a nice 45-50, will go back to normal clocks after the event)

GPU 40°C 
Could probably lower the temp by ramping up the fan but as it is they are super quiet

It is around 950,000 ppd

The rig is due for an overhaul, RGB sync, dusting, cmos battery change, loop refill but have to wait the end of the event

Reveal hidden contents

DSC_0002.thumb.JPG.9231647f4fee39366c10453db4a018b5.JPG

I turned my CPU off (they don't seem to come close to pumping out the power of a GPU anyway) because it was getting close to 100c... the GPUs are running perlously close to 90c at times. This project definitely takes a toll. On the bright side, going all out I'm using around half a kW per hour... so... that sucks.

My Stats

Gigabyte Z390 AORUS Master/ i9-9900K/ 64GB Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz/ Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 2080 Ti x2 (NVlink)/ 14TB Seagate Barracuda/ 64GB M10 Optane Memory (Modifies 14TB HDD)/ 2TB 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe/ Corsair 1200W HX Series™ Modular 80 Plus®/ Corsair H115i Pro Cooler/ Be Quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 Rev. 2

Hi,

What should I do if a GPU work unit is stuck at 100% (for several hours now, was stuck yesterday eveing, presuming same job still stuck now)

Thanks

3 minutes ago, Kyouki_IE said:

Ends April, 10th (23:59 BST)

Doesn't that mean it will end at the end of tomorrow, 38.5 hours from now, not 15 hours from the time of your post?

14.5 hours from now is April 9th 23:59 or April 10th 00:00.

Sorry, you are right. Up to late in a different time zone. Time to sleep.

F@H

Current config:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D, Asus ROG STRIX B650E-F GAMING WIFI, 64GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB DDR5-6000 (30-40-40-96), Aorus RTX3080 TI Xtreme, 2x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, ASUS XG-C100C, Corsair RM850x, Corsair H115i Pro RGB w/ 2,000 rpm ML fans, Fractal Design Meshify S2, NEC MultiSync EA244UHD 24" 4K

1 minute ago, Zonker said:

I turned my CPU off (they don't seem to come close to pumping out the power of a GPU anyway) because it was getting close to 100c... the GPUs are running perlously close to 90c at times. This project definitely takes a toll. On the bright side, going all out I'm using around half a kW per hour... so... that sucks.

Yeah I did that on my laptop. It was running at 95°C all the time preventing the gpu to boost properly. Had to also prevent the cpu from boosting. And remove the bottom plate to allow for more airflow. Now thanks to two socks (to prop it up) it sit at a cool 80°C. Definitively gonna stop folding on the laptop after the event :D 

BOINC - F@H

1 minute ago, _t_r_w said:

Hi,

What should I do if a GPU work unit is stuck at 100% (for several hours now, was stuck yesterday eveing, presuming same job still stuck now)

Thanks

Check the logs, is it failing to send the results? That can happen sometimes with some servers. I had one WU that wouldn't send for 4 days! I got another WU which was destined for the same server and that got stuck too, so I had 2 failing to send, but then they both made it to the server. There's not much you can do but wait. Pausing and resuming folding can make the client try again sooner, but that didn't help for me.

1 minute ago, ffbr said:

Yeah I did that on my laptop. It was running at 95°C all the time preventing the gpu to boost properly. Had to also prevent the cpu from boosting. And remove the bottom plate to allow for more airflow. Now thanks to two socks (to prop it up) it sit at a cool 80°C. Definitively gonna stop folding on the laptop after the event :D 

I realized there WAS an event two hours into it and never got to play... just cooking my box 'cause I'm a lovely man.

My Stats

34 minutes ago, Hardergamer1 said:

What water block do you have on the CPU? block fins all clear etc... as you must be getting close to throttling?

I got a Phanteks Glacier. It wasn't my first choice to begin with, but it was all that was in stock at the time. But it sure does look pretty, so I kept it :) But as I said a repaste/remount should help a lot.

Just now, Zonker said:

I realized there WAS an event two hours into it and never got to play... just cooking my box 'cause I'm a lovely man.

Well it gives me a good excuse to also have fun. My wife is not of that opinion. She enjoy the warmth when going to bed, not so much the noise.
My company was also super nice to let me have a go at some of our resources (as we are a bit idle waiting for our customers/partner to figure out that remote work thingy). 

Also took the occasion to compare the other cloud providers (we are mostly with azure for AI stuff and aws for compute and storage). 
IBM have nice ressources but atrocious UI. Google cloud have a nice UI. Still prefer AWS overall. Azure have no ressources :D 

BOINC - F@H

12 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Yep because the tracking sheet only has one unfilled in day in it, I may be shit with dates but I can count to one :)

Edit:

image.thumb.png.8e3611cfb9a0b3f889d2d50bdb1916f6.png

Well something must be wrong then, or I am plainly dumb. Is it safe to assume that your sheet has 2 weeks (14 whole days)?

And is it safe to assume that @GOTSpectrum wrote this:

Starts March, 27th (00:00 GMT)

Ends April, 10th (23:59 BST)

Which would mean that there is 15 full days of event by my dumb (but possibly right) calculation and counting...

Favebook's F@H Stats

Favebook's BOINC Stats

CPU i7-8700k (5.0GHz)  Motherboard Aorus Z370 Gaming 7  RAM Vengeance® RGB Pro 16GB DDR4 3200MHz  GPU  Aorus 1080 Ti

2 minutes ago, Favebook said:

Well something must be wrong then, or I am plainly dumb. Is it safe to assume that your sheet has 2 weeks (14 whole days)?

And is it safe to assume that @GOTSpectrum wrote this:

Starts March, 27th (00:00 GMT)

Ends April, 10th (23:59 BST)

Which would mean that there is 15 full days of event by my dumb (but possibly right) calculation and counting...

Probably just an error when writing the original post and calculating the end day, there is a sheet for each week and so far 6 days have past in week two. Didn't write the post or make the sheet so 🤷‍♂️.

Just keep folding for another 2 weeks just to be safe 😉

1 minute ago, leadeater said:

Probably just an error when writing the original post and calculating the end day, there is a sheet for each week and so far 6 days have past in week two. Didn't write the post or make the sheet so 🤷‍♂️.

Yeah, "Ends April, 10th (23:59 BST)" is definitely 38 hours from now, so maybe a mistake on the original post.

Have day 13 stats been posted? Since it sounds like the stats have been recorded.

4 minutes ago, Kyouki_IE said:

Yeah, "Ends April, 10th (23:59 BST)" is definitely 38 hours from now, so maybe a mistake on the original post.

Have day 13 stats been posted? Since it sounds like the stats have been recorded.

No it's the 16, now less, hours I said. The event is 14 days which will pass in that time not 38 hours.

Edit:

Looking at the sheet I think what happened is we started a day early lol

2 minutes ago, leadeater said:

No it's the 16, now less, hours I said. The event is 14 days which will pass in that time not 38 hours.

I know, I'm saying the date that was posted (April 10th 23:59) is 38 hours from now, so it must be a mistake if the event is 14 days. I'm saying the original post must be wrong, not what you've just stated.

9 minutes ago, Kyouki_IE said:

They haven't been posted because if I have to do it I can't use my Google Account I have as that would allow people so see more information than I'd like when I make the stats public. If I have to when the event ends I'll create a new account to do it.

Otherwise I would have posted them.

3 minutes ago, leadeater said:

If I remember correctly, the original post had the end set to: "Ends April, 10th (00:00 GMT)" and that would make it 14 days.
He probably just updated the end time and forgot to change the day as well.

I just needed confirmation that the event would end today. I'll keep a rig folding but I am without doubt looking forward for the end of this competition.

1 minute ago, GalaxyNetworks said:

I just needed confirmation that the event would end today. I'll keep a rig folding but I am without doubt looking forward for the end of this competition.

Yep this is the last day so not long left now. Not sure when I'll wake up tomorrow to do that stats import, because FF7 Remake unlocks in my region in a few hours and I'm 100% going to be playing that :)

That the event ends today is just perfect!

Tomorrow and the Monday next week are holidays here, so I can game FFXIV for 4 days straight without gimping my event performance ❤️

2 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Yep this is the last day so not long left now. Not sure when I'll wake up tomorrow to do that stats import, because FF7 Remake unlocks in my region in a few hours and I'm 100% going to be playing that :)

You know how to prioritize! I like that :) Happy gaming, all you mods deserve it 👍

27 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Ah, do not worry about me, I was here before this event, and I sure as hell am going to stay after it. Every year there's more gear being added to my F@H farm.

But yeah, probably an error, when GotSpectrum comes back (hopefully soon), we will see what is going on.

Favebook's F@H Stats

Favebook's BOINC Stats