LTT Folding Team's Emergency Response to Covid-19

Go to solution Solved by GOTSpectrum,

This event has ended and I recommend you guys head over to the Folding Community Board for any general folding conversation. 

12 minutes ago, Kyouki_IE said:

Do you think the 3700X is worth folding on? I have a 3700x but the points compared to an RTX 2080 just didn't seem worth it. Especially with the stock fan sounding like a jet engine! 😆 I'd let it run even if the points are not great but the heat and noise put me off.

There are a bunch of CPU only projects that contribute to good science so its worth it if you look at it in this regard, not so much for if you're just in it for a number. My 1700X yields the same PPD as a single unit on my 290.

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

Lucky me. Exactly when I hit another milestone with 300WUs, F@H decided to refuse generating certificate with error "500: Internal Server Error". Eh. Well, at least folding goes well last few days. Crawling slowly up the list.

Rikman 300WUs F@H.jpg

2 minutes ago, walderston said:

14541 is a public project however it might have beta WUs. 

https://apps.foldingathome.org/psummary shows public projects

https://apps.foldingathome.org/psummary?visibility=ALL shows all projects including beta / advanced

Thanks. I guess I'll turn of advanced for a while and see if I still keep getting it. You would think someone would have figured out that it does not like AMD GPUs by now and stopped sending it to them.

3 hours ago, ffbr said:

Yeah I did that on my laptop. It was running at 95°C all the time preventing the gpu to boost properly. Had to also prevent the cpu from boosting. And remove the bottom plate to allow for more airflow. Now thanks to two socks (to prop it up) it sit at a cool 80°C. Definitively gonna stop folding on the laptop after the event :D 

I was really surprised at mine keeping as cool as it does.  The CPU is hitting 80C but the GPU is running at 75C.

+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| NVIDIA-SMI 440.64       Driver Version: 440.64       CUDA Version: 10.2     |
|-------------------------------+----------------------+----------------------+
| GPU  Name        Persistence-M| Bus-Id        Disp.A | Volatile Uncorr. ECC |
| Fan  Temp  Perf  Pwr:Usage/Cap|         Memory-Usage | GPU-Util  Compute M. |
|===============================+======================+======================|
|   0  GeForce GTX 1070    Off  | 00000000:01:00.0 Off |                  N/A |
| N/A   75C    P2   104W /  N/A |    340MiB /  8117MiB |     98%      Default |
+-------------------------------+----------------------+----------------------+

I mean it sounds like a first-gen Xbox 360 but that's kinda to be expected. ;)

I don't think its on the top fan/power profile as I can't switch it from Linux, but I think that only boosts the CPU power budget not the GPU anyway.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

ComputerBase-HardwareLuxx Folding Team

How did that happen? I don't remember ever joining that team. The only teams I've ever joined are Default, Team Canada, and LTT.image.thumb.png.f3da3b68d44b779ee7924e39102e9059.png

9 minutes ago, TH1813254617 said:

How did that happen? I don't remember ever joining that team. The only teams I've ever joined are Default, Team Canada, and LTT.

Typo maybe? If not that, have you set up a passkey on your username so nobody else can use it?

1 minute ago, Inkertus said:

Typo maybe? If not that, have you set up a passkey on your username so nobody else can use it?

Yup, setting up a passkey is one of the first things I did when I started folding (which is 2016)

1 hour ago, TinyFBIagent said:

i am not using the stock cooler, i have a big (and thicc ?) be quiet! dark rock 4 pro

but yep, the CPU its not as good as my GPU but i still use it, its for a good cause

Nice. Do you run stock or do any overclocking or anything? I wouldn't expect much of a difference in performance from a better cooler but would consider a cooler upgrade at some point for lower temps/noise.

1 hour ago, chaozbandit said:

There are a bunch of CPU only projects that contribute to good science so its worth it if you look at it in this regard, not so much for if you're just in it for a number. My 1700X yields the same PPD as a single unit on my 290.

I'm not just in it for a number, as mentioned I would have left the 3700X running but didn't feel comfortable with the amount of heat/noise for 24/7 use. Noise especially, it vibrates through the whole house! 🤣

44 minutes ago, TH1813254617 said:

How did that happen? I don't remember ever joining that team. The only teams I've ever joined are Default, Team Canada, and LTT.

Someone else uses the same name. When you have a passkey that doesn't lock your name, it only makes it possible to track the 2 users on F@H side... but unfortunately their stats pages don't separate them, all users with the same name are combined on one page.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

ugh 4 days and not a single completed gpu work unit 2080ti keeps either getting  "bad wu" or just doesnt fine a assignment :(

Aselwyn1

53 minutes ago, TH1813254617 said:

You can try this link with the different team ids:
https://stats.foldingathome.org/user?callback=stats&user={USERNAME}&team={TEAMID}&passkey={PASSKEY}&version=7.5.1&_=1

This is the API the FAH web client uses to show stats, in theory you should only be able to see stats for the LTT team with your username and passkey.

4 minutes ago, aselwyn1 said:

ugh 4 days and not a single completed gpu work unit 2080ti keeps either getting  "bad wu" or just doesnt fine a assignment :(

Is your 2080ti OC'ed?
Mine is chewing through all the WU's it gets with no issues.

Also have you set 'client-type' to 'advanced' in the extra tab? That will give you late stage beta WUs so it should be easier to get WUs

1 hour ago, marknd59 said:

Thanks. I guess I'll turn of advanced for a while and see if I still keep getting it. You would think someone would have figured out that it does not like AMD GPUs by now and stopped sending it to them.

Turning off advanced had me in the que for hours on hours. Even with the 3 wasted out of the last 17, it's still more progress than without it.

6 minutes ago, ShortRouter said:

@GOTSpectrumWhen does the event end?

Tonight midnight apparently, it seemed there where a small mistake in the original post by @GOTSpectrum . @leadeater explained it a bit earlier today.

4 hours ago, leadeater said:

Yep this is the last day so not long left now. Not sure when I'll wake up tomorrow to do that stats import, because FF7 Remake unlocks in my region in a few hours and I'm 100% going to be playing that :)

BOINC - F@H

2 hours ago, Rikman said:

Lucky me. Exactly when I hit another milestone with 300WUs, F@H decided to refuse generating certificate with error "500: Internal Server Error". Eh. Well, at least folding goes well last few days. Crawling slowly up the list.

-snip-

I kept checking every once in a while, here's your 300 WU certificate:

spacer.png

I am actually happy that it ends today. I am tired of having to babysit all of these clients.

2 minutes ago, ffbr said:

Tonight midnight apparently, it seemed there where a small mistake in the original post by @GOTSpectrum . @leadeater explained it a bit earlier today.

F@H    EOC

2 minutes ago, jctappel67 said:

23:59 BST. 6PM Central for those of us in the States

Good point :D, midnight is not the same everywhere

BOINC - F@H

1 minute ago, jctappel67 said:

I am actually happy that it ends today. I am tired of having to babysit all of these clients.

Same here. 

Starting to finish WUs and winding down the remote ones. 

BOINC - F@H

I will try my luck in the next event, but happy for all what I learned and to found something to hammer with my computers like I did with Seti@home for 11 years :)

Even I was unable to resit and after fixing a computer for somebody I test it also running a few F@H WUs XD, a Phenom X3 455, but hey every bit counts... maybe I will have it run it a bit more if they can`t pick up the computer ;)

imagen.thumb.png.8aedecac49435b12776cdaf43728bdbd.png

24 minutes ago, Psedog said:

Turning off advanced had me in the que for hours on hours. Even with the 3 wasted out of the last 17, it's still more progress than without it.

No it's 13 failed out of the last 19 that's hours of lost time. Even at only 1hour for each it's 13 hour 1 of failed at 96% that's over 4 hours on it's own.

34 minutes ago, GalaxyNetworks said:

Is your 2080ti OC'ed?
Mine is chewing through all the WU's it gets with no issues.

Also have you set 'client-type' to 'advanced' in the extra tab? That will give you late stage beta WUs so it should be easier to get WUs

oh it has the 300MHZ defualt from the MSI gaming x trio.  where do i setup this "client type"? i dont see any options like that in the advanced or web gui

Aselwyn1