LTT Folding Team's Emergency Response to Covid-19

Go to solution Solved by GOTSpectrum,

This event has ended and I recommend you guys head over to the Folding Community Board for any general folding conversation. 

The practical thing to do would probably be to reserve Steam keys for FPS games for top-N folders and hand out keys for story-driven adventures to us casual gamers folders...

4 minutes ago, GOTSpectrum said:

Can you explain what the 6/2 means? 

It's gauge/conductors.  So 6/2 means two #6 conductors and a ground.  Most NA house wiring is 12/2 or 14/2 (most houses are wired for 15A circuits), but for the 240v circuits, it's typically 10/3- that's good for 30A, both phases, a neutral, and a ground.  The reason it's 3 for the 240 is because most NA uses of 240 are ovens and dryers, and they often have other electronics that use 110v, so with a H-H-N, they can draw both 240 & 110 (H-H & H-N).

Note that typical gauges get funky when switching to Aluminum wiring because it needs to be bigger.  Also it likes to loosen in clamps and spark fires, so we really try not to use it these days...

R5 3600, 5700 XT, AX370 K7...  and that's plenty for me.  If you ignore the masses of other parts I occasionally put together and laugh about.

2 minutes ago, KenjiS9965 said:

You also use ring circuits which, iirc, use thinner wire than a radial configuration from my understanding

Yep, because of the science, but this is somewhat related to the higher voltage as well as the amp sharing nature of ring mains. P.S. I know amp sharing is not even close to the right term but it's 0417 so blegh. 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

1 minute ago, KenjiS9965 said:

First number is the gague of the wire, the second is the number of conductors (Excluding ground) So 6/2 is 2 6 gauge conductors (Hot and neutral) 

Thank you for the explanation 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

1 minute ago, hydrochloric said:

It's gauge/conductors.  So 6/2 means two #6 conductors and a ground.  Most NA house wiring is 12/2 or 14/2 (most houses are wired for 15A circuits), but for the 240v circuits, it's typically 10/3- that's good for 30A, both phases, a neutral, and a ground.  The reason it's 3 for the 240 is because most NA uses of 240 are ovens and dryers, and they often have other electronics that use 110v, so with a H-H-N, they can draw both 240 & 110 (H-H & H-N).

I am quite well understanding of multi phase power thanks to AvE lol and know about NA dryers too for a related reason

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

3 minutes ago, GOTSpectrum said:

Thank you for the explanation 

Had to mildly correct the 6/2 thing, its apparently 2 hots with no neutral for stuff like AC/welders/shop stuff.. Im used to it being 6/3 (3 conductors, 2 hots and a neutral) cause thats what I've worked with, and most wiring in the US is a hot plus a neutral

Inari - Ryzen 9 3900X, Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master, 32gb Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB DDR4-3400, eVGA RTX 3080 FTW3, Corsair Crystal 680X, 2x Corsair MP510 960gb SSD, 1x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD, 2x Toshiba 5TB HDDs, Acer Predator X27, Lots of Sony camera equipment

Asus RoG Zephyrus G15 5900HS/3070/QHD On Order

3 minutes ago, Yujah said:

The practical thing to do would probably be to reserve Steam keys for FPS games for top-N folders and hand out keys for story-driven adventures to us casual gamers folders...

Or, 

Just leave it as is

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

1 minute ago, GOTSpectrum said:

I am quite well understanding of multi phase power thanks to AvE lol and know about NA dryers too for a related reason

Ah, Unclebumblefuck!  I've learned a lot of slang from him too, truly an excellent way to waste time.  I wouldn't have figured you knew about north american dryers lol.

R5 3600, 5700 XT, AX370 K7...  and that's plenty for me.  If you ignore the masses of other parts I occasionally put together and laugh about.

3 minutes ago, KenjiS9965 said:

Had to mildly correct the 6/2 thing, its apparently 2 hots with no neutral for stuff like AC/welders/shop stuff.. Im used to it being 6/3 (3 conductors, 2 hots and a neutral) cause thats what I've worked with, and most wiring in the US is a hot plus a neutral

I mean technically it could be a hot, neutral and ground...  But why you'd ever need a 50A 120v circuit is beyond me.

Ooh, actually I just realized I forgot to mark the white wire on my 50A install as a 2nd hot, I need to do that...

Ah, Unclebumblefuck!  I've learned a lot of slang from him too, truly an excellent way to waste time.  I wouldn't have figured you knew about north american dryers lol.

I'm a tech head, engineering, electrical, mechanical, computers, even rocket engines and civil engineering. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

4 minutes ago, GOTSpectrum said:

Or, Just leave it as is

Note; while I'll readily admit it was hardly a screamer, I was joking...

1 minute ago, GOTSpectrum said:

I'm a tech head, engineering, electrical, mechanical, computers, even rocket engines and civil engineering. 

Yeah but...  who chooses to learn about other countries' dryer wiring?  🤣

4 minutes ago, hydrochloric said:

Yeah but...  who chooses to learn about other countries' dryer wiring?  🤣

Me! That's who!

Also my random interest in information is why I know as much as I do about folding, and I don't see any of you making comments on that! 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

3 minutes ago, GOTSpectrum said:

Me! That's who!

Also my random interest in information is why I know as much as I do about folding, and I don't see any of you making comments on that! 

I'm sure we all end up with a glut of random knowledge, you just have to admit out of context it's just a bit unexpected.

I'm sure we all end up with a glut of random knowledge, you just have to admit out of context it's just a bit unexpected.

Yeah my knowledge is very random!

Especially for my tender age

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

I have an associate's degree in telecommunication, but sadly I haven't been able to use it at all because

I've been watching my grandma because she has dementia and she is 88 years old.

My grandpa passed 2 years ago he was given at a nursing home Fentanyl. they over dosed him...

my grandpa was an electrical mechanical engineer...

I still miss him 😢 he was 87 years old and a veteran

It may be some of the reason that I can do what I can do when it comes to technology

sorry Just had to get this off my chest reading all the posts reminded me of him in a way 😥

28 minutes ago, hydrochloric said:

Unclebumblefuck”

So going to start using this!

anyone here folding on a GTX 780? looking to see what kind of power draw it would do

Bethesda PC:   R7 3700X  -  Asrock B550 Extreme 4  -  Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 16GB@3.6GHz -  Zotac AMP Extreme 1080TI -  Samsung 860 Evo 256GB  -  WD Blue 2TB SSD -  500DX  -  Stock cooling lul  -  Rm650x

CrumpleBox V3:  Xeon X5680  -  Asus X58 Sabertooth  -  DDr3 16GB@1.33Ghz  -  Gigabyte 1660s -  TT smart RGB 700W  -  

Cooler Master Storm Trooper  -  120GB Samsung 850 Pro   -  LTT Edition Chromax NH-D15 ?

CrumpleBox 3 ROTF: I5-6400  -  MSI B150m Mortar  -  16GB 2133Mhz Vengeance Pro RGB  -  Strix 1070Ti - GTX 1070 FE  -  Adata 128GB SSD  -  Fractal Design Define C  -  Gammaxx 400V2  -  Cooler Master silent pro gold 1000W

CrumpleBox 2: i7-7820x - MSI X299 Raider - 32GB Thermaltake Toughram 3.6Ghz - 2x Sapphire Nitro Fury - 128GB PCie Adata SSD - O11 Dynamic - EVGA CLC 360 - Corsair RM1000X

Perhiperals:  Gateway 900p60 monitor  -  Dell 1024x768@75  -  Logi. G403 Carbon  -  Logi. G502  -  SteSer. Arctis 5  -  SteSer. Rival 110 - Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2

1 minute ago, Gamerx007 said:

I have an associate's degree in telecommunication, but sadly I haven't been able to use it at all because

I've been watching my grandma because she has dementia and she is 88 years old.

My grandpa passed 2 years ago he was given at a nursing home Fentanyl. they over dosed him...

my grandpa was an electrical mechanical engineer...

I still miss him 😢 he was 87 years old and a veteran

It may be some of the reason that I can do what I can do when it comes to technology

sorry Just had to get this off my chest reading all the posts reminded me of him in a way 😥

Electrical-mechanical engineering is an art as much as a science, Truly I love reading about how old jukeboxes, VCRs, BETAmaxes ect worked... 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

8 minutes ago, Macaw2000 said:

Code_OduoRmX2LX.thumb.png.a8a516ea8e2d45af21171ba69ae3dfca.png

Flexing a little bit tomorrow. My F@H runs in the cloud, at the cheapest rates available, on TESLA T4 GPUs, and leaving my home nice a quiet and cool. We'll see how this plays out:

https://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_summary.php?s=&u=955089

I have a similar setup, but my WUs keep failing for some reason. 

F@H    EOC

Just now, GOTSpectrum said:

Electrical-mechanical engineering is an art as much as a science, Truly I love reading about how old jukeboxes, VCRs, BETAmaxes ect worked... 

My brother went to a tech school as well as college for a degree in mechatronics

I am the oldest of 3 and he is the youngest 😁

1 minute ago, Gamerx007 said:

My brother went to a tech school as well as college for a degree in mechatronics

I am the oldest of 3 and he is the youngest 😁

My degree is basically useless to me now for the most part, and a certain part of me wishes I didn't tbh

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240