AMD is changing the type of cooler it uses on next-gen graphics cards

spacer.png

Look closely, very closely

If you're not a fan of blower-style GPU coolers, AMD has good news—it's getting rid of them for its next-generation Radeon graphics cards based on its RDNA 2 architecture. In its place, AMD will switch to an axial-fan cooling solution, just as Nvidia did when it launched its GeForce RTX series, and later its GeForce GTX cards based on Turing.

When it comes to GPU coolers, blowers have the advantage of expelling hot air directly outside the case, since the exhaust vent is positioned in the expansion slot. Generally speaking, however, they do not cool as well as axial-fan solutions, and are often louder—sometimes a lot louder.

AMD teased a photo of updated cooler design in one of the slides it showed at its Financial Analyst Day presentation on Wednesday.

spacer.png

There were a lot of slides during the 3.5-hour presentation, and it would have been easy to miss the thumbnail shot of the GPU cooler, especially since AMD didn't say anything about it. However, the image was posted to Reddit, where AMD's vice president and general manager of the Radeon Business Unit, Scott Herkelman, confirmed the change.

"There will be no blower reference fans for gamers on next-gen. So you are correct," Herkelman wrote, with a winky-face for good measure.

This isn't entirely new territory for AMD. The Radeon VII (Vega) is outfitted with a triple axial fan cooler, though other than that, you would have to go back several generations to find another one. The Radeon RX 5000 series (Navi) and 500/400 series (Polaris) exclusively used blower-style coolers for reference models.

Source: https://www.pcgamer.com/amd-is-changing-the-type-of-cooler-it-uses-on-next-gen-graphics-cards/

I almost never notice how loud my fans are because I wear headphones and I also don't get bothered by them if I do notice.

But it's still pretty cool for those that want a quiet system.

Hopefully that's not just a random render, and actually what they'll be putting out. With the Ryzen cooler, maybe they'll take some lessons and actually put a slightly-better-than-adequate cooler on there. Though, really, reference cards aren't that great to begin with, so who cares what they use.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

8 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Hopefully that's not just a random render, and actually what they'll be putting out. With the Ryzen cooler, maybe they'll take some lessons and actually put a slightly-better-than-adequate cooler on there. Though, really, reference cards aren't that great to begin with, so who cares what they use.

40 minutes ago, Syaoran said:

the image was posted to Reddit, where AMD's vice president and general manager of the Radeon Business Unit, Scott Herkelman, confirmed the change.

The design language of it makes me think of the old reference designs up to the 290X. I’m not a fan of red but it just feels right for them to go back to that design language.

6 hours ago, WikiForce said:

looks alot like rtx cooler from i can see on the top side

My first thought as well. Like RTX reference cooler, but in darker accent with red stripes on the edges.

5 hours ago, Dietrichw said:

The design language of it makes me think of the old reference designs up to the 290X. I’m not a fan of red but it just feels right for them to go back to that design language.

If it's all black and just red lines around some edges, it's fine. Being all red will ruin things a bit. Then again, how many people who are extra finicky about colors buy reference designs? They'll go with some aftermarket cooler design in color of their choice.

40 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Good, although the majority of cards people buy are already AIB designs. At least this prevents idiot reviewers from giving the GPU worse reviews due to comparing reference blower cards with other GPUs using custom coolers.

Reviewers who do something this fundamentally stupid don't deserve to exist anyway. Exception is when card has nearly or the same price and offers way better aftermarket cooler, then comparison is valid. If better cooler means 50€ more, then no.

Hopefully it isn't like the RVII cooler. Which was axial fans, vapor chamber and everything, but they forgot that you still need a finstack to dump that heat:

1353181170_IMG_48602.thumb.jpg.c78ed526298ee822a1eee75533a34141.jpg

Instead they literally chopped out the vast majority of the finstack. It looks really nice but they didn't even save much thickness-wise over even bulky cards like the Gaming X 1080 Ti:

IMG_0926.thumb.JPG.ee2052d17d3866c0d3e2def94d8d690e.JPG

Which did not chop out its finstack just to be slightly slimmer. Though I do understand that AMD was likely trying to make sure people could stack 4 of these if they needed to (but blower cards would have been much better for that application anyways). 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

That's good and makes sense really. No need for turbine single small blower fan anymore. Even many very small cases have proper openings for multi-fan cards.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

I believe there was a reddit post from someone at AMD saying that this is 100% true and that there won't be anymore blower style cards as reference designs.

EDIT: Here's link to the reddit post: 

AMD has learned to not point their revolver at their own foot when pulling the trigger.