2070 Super, 5700XT or a used 1080Ti?

So I'm in the market for a new GPU, and am eyeing the $450-$500 range. At this range there are mainly 3 cards in the market, the 2070super, 5700XT and the 1080ti in the used market. Which of these cards would be best value for money?. I know the 1080Ti is quite old now but it still performs admirably and performs as good as a 2080, but will that still hold 2 years from now? or should I go for the more recent offerings just for future-proofing? I have a 2700X paired with 16GB Of Ram. Currently I'm using a GTX 970. Looking to play at 1440P, maybe sometimes crank it up to 4k just for the fun of it.

well first off NEVER buy used because you do not know why the person is selling the card or retuned it so their problem could soon become yours. the second thing is that linus posted a video on youtube back in Dec. in which he compared all of the best GPUs from 2019. he was split between the 5700 which was best performer and the 2060 which had the best features but then at just slightly higher in the $500-$550 range the 2070 super came into play and kicked ass over the 5700.

I guess the 2070 Super seems like a good option at the moment with AMD's cards having driver issues. 

1080 Ti is more like a little below 2070 Super performance these days, so I'd throw 1080 Ti out of the running immediately. Personally I'd buy 2070 Super over 5700 XT for the raytracing. Hardware RT has been officially confirmed for both of the new consoles so we're likely to see it become standard in AAA games starting this year. And 4A Games already said they're throwing out their current codepath and building their future games exclusively for raytracing. So while RT has been a major disappointment with how sparingly it has been used the last two years, it sounds like it's coming.

relative-performance_2560-1440.png

1 hour ago, tdkid said:

well first off NEVER buy used because you do not know why the person is selling the card or retuned it so their problem could soon become yours. the second thing is that linus posted a video on youtube back in Dec. in which he compared all of the best GPUs from 2019. he was split between the 5700 which was best performer and the 2060 which had the best features but then at just slightly higher in the $500-$550 range the 2070 super came into play and kicked ass over the 5700.

Never buy a used car because you do not know why the person is selling the car. Never buy a used bike because you do not know why the person is selling the bike. Never buy a used xyz because you do not know why the person is selling the xyz.

You're free to your own opinion, as am I. I've bought nothing but used GPU's since my last new purchased card a GTX970. so... gtx760(x2), gtx980(x2), gtx980ti(x3), Titan X, gtx1080(x2), gtx1070(x2), gtx1080Ti, gtx1060 6gb(x2), gtx1060 3gb. all of them have performed flawlessly like the GTX1080Ti currently in my system on a 240mm AIO, some are still in my some friends pc's and some were put into systems that I sold at a later date and some were sold to upgrade to a better card. Proper due diligence is necessary when purchasing anything used, but to make an absolute blanket statement like that is an opinion with personal reasons for it (which is fine) but not necessarily rooted in fact and reality.

To the OP:

1. buy the card you want for the reasons you want it.(performance in your game choices, brand, styling, RGB, cooler performance, personal preference, ect)

2. A used card can be a great deal, due diligence is best practice. See the card perform in games, check temps under load, visibly inspect the card, ask why they're selling. Used 1080Ti's in my area, Philadelphia/Allentown PA I've seen 1080Ti cards recently sell for as low as $300-350 usd (IMO that's a great price).

3. I like Nvidia cards, I've owned 1 ATI card... a long time ago. I love that AMD pushes the market pricing(nvidia) down into reality with competition. I don't love the seemingly semi common problems: driver, black screen, flickering and quality issues with the 5700/5700xt have been plagued with recently.

Edited below for more info:

4. FYI: I've recently been playing mostly AC odyssey, and Overwatch at 1440p with a 144hz freesync/gsync monitor on my 1080Ti clocked at 2ghz with AIO water cooler with a 9900k@5ghz,  3800mhz 2channel ddr4, and NVME ssd. AC odyssey with ultra settings runs primarily in the 60-70fps range, Overwatch at ultra settings will run at 144fps with some drops to 120fps.

Edited by Maxxtraxx
Additional info

As it is "coming" won't it be better to wait for the next generation then? AMD has also claimed that their GPU's will also support hardware Ray Tracing. I guess waiting would be best at this point in time.

1 minute ago, axelrod971 said:

As it is "coming" won't it be better to wait for the next generation then? AMD has also claimed that their GPU's will also support hardware Ray Tracing. I guess waiting would be best at this point in time.

Waiting is a valid option. FYI you could be waiting till Q3 or Q4 of this year to get Nvidias new cards. I'm currently very happy with my card and the current RTX cards are not a compelling upgrade for me... lots more price for not much more performance, IMO.

If you're willing to wait for the new cards there will be more options: 1. the new cards will be available if you want them and they're not sold out.  2. current RTX used cards will drop in price 3. 1000 series GTX cards will drop even more in price.

If you're not willing to wait, get the best single card that you like, that fits your budget and does what  you want.

You'll always be waiting for the next generation of components to come with rumors of the next "series" followed by refreshes like super and the odd board partner specials etc. It is always better to wait for the newer cards to drop in terms of price of older cards or for performance with newer cards but it's debateable if there's really a best time.

Personally I would wait it out but thats because I have a setup to tide me over, others might not have that luxary.

1 hour ago, Maxxtraxx said:

Never buy a used car because you do not know why the person is selling the car. Never buy a used bike because you do not know why the person is selling the bike. Never buy a used xyz because you do not know why the person is selling the xyz.

You're free to your own opinion, as am I. I've bought nothing but used GPU's since my last new purchased card a GTX970. so... gtx760(x2), gtx980(x2), gtx980ti(x3), Titan X, gtx1080(x2), gtx1070(x2), gtx1080Ti, gtx1060 6gb(x2), gtx1060 3gb. all of them have performed flawlessly like the GTX1080Ti currently in my system on a 240mm AIO, some are still in my some friends pc's and some were put into systems that I sold at a later date and some were sold to upgrade to a better card. Proper due diligence is necessary when purchasing anything used, but to make an absolute blanket statement like that is an opinion with personal reasons for it (which is fine) but not necessarily rooted in fact and reality.

To the OP:

1. buy the card you want for the reasons you want it.(performance in your game choices, brand, styling, RGB, cooler performance, personal preference, ect)

2. A used card can be a great deal, due diligence is best practice. See the card perform in games, check temps under load, visibly inspect the card, ask why they're selling. Used 1080Ti's in my area, Philadelphia/Allentown PA I've seen 1080Ti cards recently sell for as low as $300-350 usd (IMO that's a great price).

3. I like Nvidia cards, I've owned 1 ATI card... a long time ago. I love that AMD pushes the market pricing(nvidia) down into reality with competition. I don't love the seemingly semi common problems: driver, black screen, flickering and quality issues with the 5700/5700xt have been plagued with recently.

4. FYI: I've recently been playing mostly AC odyssey, and Overwatch at 1440p with a 144hz freesync/gsync monitor on my 1080Ti clocked at 2ghz with AIO water cooler with a 9900k@5ghz,  3800mhz 2channel ddr4, and NVME ssd. AC odyssey with ultra settings runs primarily in the 60-70fps range, Overwatch at ultra settings will run at 144fps with some drops to 120fps.

well first off, you are never going to be smarter than me in that field because I am a repo agent, and have worked for a used car dealer and a driver at an auto auction so I know what I am talking about when I say don't buy used. cars, bikes, RV and other big items have a physical location where you can complain to them and possible get your money back. buying used computer parts is mostly handled online where once you buy something you are pretty much stuck with it because you will have a 30 day warranty on some components that starts the day you buy it, not the day you get it so a week for it to ship and get to you is one less week of your warranty if they give you one at all.

and to the OP.

don't let me saying never scare you. maxxtraxx is right, buy the GPU that you are comfortable with and you like the most. its your system after all and those decisions can only be made by you. I just know that I will never by anything used for my computer because I am not technically advanced enough to figure out what the problem is.

32 minutes ago, tdkid said:

well first off, you are never going to be smarter than me in that field because I am a repo agent, and have worked for a used car dealer and a driver at an auto auction so I know what I am talking about when I say don't buy used. cars, bikes, RV and other big items have a physical location where you can complain to them and possible get your money back. buying used computer parts is mostly handled online where once you buy something you are pretty much stuck with it because you will have a 30 day warranty on some components that starts the day you buy it, not the day you get it so a week for it to ship and get to you is one less week of your warranty if they give you one at all.

and to the OP.

don't let me saying never scare you. maxxtraxx is right, buy the GPU that you are comfortable with and you like the most. its your system after all and those decisions can only be made by you. I just know that I will never by anything used for my computer because I am not technically advanced enough to figure out what the problem is.

You are welcome to your opinion... but proclaiming yourself the smartest person that you know on a given subject is a good way to ensure others have a low opinion of you.

As a automotive mechanic of 12 years who has owned nothing but used cars averaging over 100k miles my entire driving and working life and also having handled 80% of the above listed used GPU purchases in person and not online while using due diligence and common sense my personal actual experience is contrary to yours in both matters. Most buying used done online I would propose is done on ebay? which I have also less frequently done, ebay does have buyer protections in place. Nothing is perfect, including new parts, but common sense, due diligence and reasonable protections are all part of the game.

I do agree with your opinion on buying the GPU that OP is most comfortable with.

1 hour ago, Maxxtraxx said:
Just now, Maxxtraxx said:

You are welcome to your opinion... but proclaiming yourself the smartest person that you know on a given subject is a good way to ensure others have a low opinion of you.

As a automotive mechanic of 12 years who has owned nothing but used cars averaging over 100k miles my entire driving and working life and also having handled 80% of the above listed used GPU purchases in person and not online while using due diligence and common sense my personal actual experience is contrary to yours in both matters. Most buying used done online I would propose is done on ebay? which I have also less frequently done, ebay does have buyer protections in place. Nothing is perfect, including new parts, but common sense, due diligence and reasonable protections are all part of the game.

I do agree with your opinion on buying the GPU that OP is most comfortable with.

To the OP:

well that was actually your opinion first. 1. buy the card you want for the reasons you want it.(performance in your game choices, brand, styling, RGB, cooler performance, personal preference, ect)

I was agreeing with you on that

as for a mechanic thing me too. I repair my own cars because I know how to by working as a repo agent and at a used car dealership and auto auction. I have been in the repo business for 15 years now. let me guess, most of those used GPU purchases from places like facebook market place or ebay? that is kind of what I am talking about, with those its buyer beware and you never know what you are going to get as the person could literally leave the area and never be seen again.

Why buy used if you can get a new 5700xt for $400? 

No cpu mobo or ram atm

2tb wd black gen 4 nvme 

2tb seagate hdd

Corsair rm750x 

Be quiet 500dx 

Gigabyte m34wq 3440x1440

Xbox series x

3 hours ago, Deuteronomy93 said:

You'll always be waiting for the next generation of components to come with rumors of the next "series" followed by refreshes like super and the odd board partner specials etc. It is always better to wait for the newer cards to drop in terms of price of older cards or for performance with newer cards but it's debateable if there's really a best time.

Personally I would wait it out but thats because I have a setup to tide me over, others might not have that luxary.

The RTX 2000 series was released a year and a half ago. AMD has stated they're releasing RNDA2 cards intended to compete with the 2080 Ti tier later this year, and the RTX cards aren't that big an improvement over the GTX 1000 cards. 

If this was a year or two ago, yes, just buy the card you want and run with it, but with two actually competitive halo cards coming out, and prices still not back down since the Bitcoin insanity, this just isn't the time to be buying a high end card. If you must have a card now, buy one that gets you what you need for as little as you can get away with and plan for an upgrade in the next year. Something like the 2060 KO, or some such that isn't going to get wiped out by the RTX 3080 or RT 6900.

If I really had to lowball it, I'd probably pick a Radeon 580 or Geforce 1660 Super. There are so many 580's in the market that it will likely be the minimum spec card for some years to come, and the 1660 Super is at least that good.

If you are already sitting on a card that's in that category, wait until RDNA2 or the 3080 TI drops and pick up the 3070 or 6700 tier part. 

3 hours ago, tdkid said:

well that was actually your opinion first. 1. buy the card you want for the reasons you want it.(performance in your game choices, brand, styling, RGB, cooler performance, personal preference, ect)

I was agreeing with you on that

as for a mechanic thing me too. I repair my own cars because I know how to by working as a repo agent and at a used car dealership and auto auction. I have been in the repo business for 15 years now. let me guess, most of those used GPU purchases from places like facebook market place or ebay? that is kind of what I am talking about, with those its buyer beware and you never know what you are going to get as the person could literally leave the area and never be seen again.

Glad to hear there are others with a sense of ownership for their vehicles, take care of them and repair of the vehicles themselves.

Most of my GPU purchases have been via craigslist, meet in person, test the card, inspect the card and buy if everything checks out. 2 or 3 have been ebay. I agree there is an unknown factor and less accountability that requires more checks before cash is exchanged.

Also, please forgive my first sentence in the previous post, I was annoyed and I let it affect what I wrote negatively, I was classless and unkind.

53 minutes ago, Maxxtraxx said:

Glad to hear there are others with a sense of ownership for their vehicles, take care of them and repair of the vehicles themselves.

Most of my GPU purchases have been via craigslist, meet in person, test the card, inspect the card and buy if everything checks out. 2 or 3 have been ebay. I agree there is an unknown factor and less accountability that requires more checks before cash is exchanged.

Also, please forgive my first sentence in the previous post, I was annoyed and I let it affect what I wrote negatively, I was classless and unkind.

I do have to replace an engine on one of mine as it had an oil leak I didn't catch in time.

then you have gotten extremely lucky on yours.

'

no need to apologize I am a repo agent so you have been called cheap sake, crook and a few others when you repair their cars. now imagine the names I have been called when I show up to take them away. I am even about to go to court because some idiot who is lucky I didn't shoot him, when he attacked me pulling my beard hair out. what was priceless about that though was the look on the man's face when the officer showed up and yelled my name like he was a best man at a wedding. the guy knew he was fucked then.

but anyway back to talking about computers. I have been looking at the rtx 2070 supers myself as they fit in my budget and I don't like the AMD stuff if solely for the design of them not to mention the recent issues. I mean seriously, what moron designed this GPU? its the one I am running right now. https://www.amazon.com/Dell-Radeon-6770-128-Bit-Graphic/dp/B01E65SFGU/ref=pd_sbs_147_5/138-7823551-3535339?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01E65SFGU&pd_rd_r=04243f4c-a6ec-4e1a-be57-d418c268eddf&pd_rd_w=py0rg&pd_rd_wg=6lWPw&pf_rd_p=7cd8f929-4345-4bf2-a554-7d7588b3dd5f&pf_rd_r=B1FQZC1KYEBNM40WPFYJ&psc=1&refRID=B1FQZC1KYEBNM40WPFYJ