Please help choose power supply

Oren Dekel

This is my first pc build and i'm looking for a PSU around 100 dollars.

parts that I've choose so far are:
CPU: intel core i5 9600k 9th gen

motherboard: asus prime z390-p

case: corsair carbide spec-05

CPU cooler: noctua NH-12S

RAM: G.skill tridentZ series 16GB

storage: intel 660p series ssd 1TB

Can you help me choose?

Thanks

(you can also say if some part that I've choose look you wrong)

Any plans to add anything more in the future, like a dedicated GPU?

I'm an IT System Admin with 15+ years worth of XP, plus I've been tinkering computers since I was old enough to hold a screwdriver, so I usually know what I'm talking about.

Just now, Oren Dekel said:

This is my first pc build and i'm looking for a PSU around 100 dollars.

parts that I've choose so far are:
CPU: intel core i5 9600k 9th gen

motherboard: asus prime z390-p

case: corsair carbide spec-05

CPU cooler: noctua NH-12S

RAM: G.skill tridentZ series 16GB

storage: intel 660p series ssd 1TB

Can you help me choose?

Thanks

(you can also say if some part that I've choose look you wrong)

If I'm not mistaken, I do not see a videocard in this build. Correct?
Of course not getting a videocard is definitely possible, but depending on your purpose, it might not work very well (e.g. for gaming and video editing a videocard is basically mandatory).

A videocard uses a lot of power too, so a PSU choice is highly dependent on that part as well.

As is, the build will use about 200W of power at most, but a videocard can add 100-250W to that.

Anyways, I would go for something like CX450 for the build as is, or a TX550M if you're going for a high(er) end videocard.

Have you considered going Ryzen, by the way?

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

1 minute ago, ObsidianAura said:

Any plans to add anything more in the future, like a dedicated GPU?

I'm kind of limited on the budget so I've decided to give up the GPU because i'm not gonna use the pc for gaming anyway

2 minutes ago, Oren Dekel said:

I'm kind of limited on the budget so I've decided to give up the GPU because i'm not gonna use the pc for gaming anyway

What kind of budget are you working with? What are you going to do with the PC anyways? Perhaps you're much better off with a Ryzen APU system for example.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

6 minutes ago, Oren Dekel said:

As minibois says, what use you want to put it to could be helpful. 

You might be able to save some more money not fitting the Intel SSD and getting something cheaper, that might be more appropriate 

I'm an IT System Admin with 15+ years worth of XP, plus I've been tinkering computers since I was old enough to hold a screwdriver, so I usually know what I'm talking about.

3 minutes ago, minibois said:

What kind of budget are you working with? What are you going to do with the PC anyways? Perhaps you're much better off with a Ryzen APU system for example.

My budget is about 1000 dollars and i'm learning cyber security and i'm using a lot of VMs. so i just want a pc that is stronger then my corrent laptop.

4 minutes ago, ObsidianAura said:

As minibois says, what use you want to put it to could be helpful. 

You might be able to save some more money not fitting the Intel SSD and getting something cheaper, that might be more appropriate 

The intel SSD was the best storage solution both becousevof the price and the capacity.

8 minutes ago, Oren Dekel said:

The intel SSD was the best storage solution both becousevof the price and the capacity.

Fair enough, if it were me, I'd go with a 450w Corsair PSU, do you care if it's fully modular or not?

Also how much do you care about your electric bill? Not that it'll make much difference at this end.

6 minutes ago, Oren Dekel said:

My budget is about 1000 dollars and i'm learning cyber security and i'm using a lot of VMs. so i just want a pc that is stronger then my corrent laptop.

If you don't care about graphics and you plan on using lots of VMs, something like this would make a lot more sense for $1000:

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

2 minutes ago, ObsidianAura said:

Fair enough, if it were me, I'd go with a 450w Corsair PSU, do you care if it's fully modular or not?

I do actually

2 minutes ago, Oren Dekel said:

I do actually

about the PSU

17 minutes ago, Oren Dekel said:

VM's is a great reason to go Ryzen over Intel. Since an equivalent Ryzen CPU's to that i5 has 6c12t, instead of 6c6t on the i5, you can assign more cores to each VM.

What I mean by that, is that the Ryzen may have the same amount of cores, but more 'threads'. Simply put, your software (like the VM software) sees these threads as cores to work on, meaning you can assign more cores to each VM, or just have more VM's in general.

Usually it is recommend to give your host system about 2-4 threads and each VM you make.. Well it depends on what kind of OS it will run, but generally 1 or 2 is fine for a basic VM. But since the Ryzen has more threads to work with, that will make VM work a lot better.

Since most Ryzen CPU's do not have integrated graphics, you do need a videocard of some sort to get video out.

A PC like this is - in my opinion, which I will explain at the bottom of my post - a better more well-suited option:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($294.63 @ B&H) 
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Freezer 34 CPU Cooler  ($32.06 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: MSI B450 Gaming Plus MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($104.97 @ Amazon) 
Memory: *OLOy 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory  ($142.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($149.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1650 4 GB SC ULTRA GAMING Video Card  ($123.98 @ Newegg) 
Case: Fractal Design Focus G ATX Mid Tower Case  ($57.98 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: Corsair TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply  ($94.96 @ Newegg) 
Total: $1001.56
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-03-06 10:03 EST-0500

CPU: With the Ryzen CPU, you have more threads to work with VM's. Specifically, 2 more cores, but 10 more threads.

Memory: I increased the RAM to 32GB since in the same was as threads, you assign some to your host PC and to your VMs.

Storage: The SSD is a faster one which can endure more data written to it than the Intel 660p

Cooler: Just a good cooler which doesn't break the bank

Case: Different case, because the Spec-05 just didn't fit any larger coolers (including the NH-U12S in your list)

PSU: High quality PSU

Videocard: Can be replaced with any cheap GT 1030 class videocard too, it's just there for video output (or maybe you need to do some compute tasks in your studies too? Like hashcat and such?)

Thanks for you all I very appreciate your effort.

I'm going to think about it a while but i think i'm gonna go with minibois.

I do not understand much in those things so thank you for helping me.

Again, thanks and have a nice day

50 minutes ago, minibois said:

Have you considered going Ryzen, by the way?

LOL

CPU:i7 9700k 5047.5Mhz All Cores Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 OC 3467Mhz GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, 2x SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB PSU: Seasonic focus plus 750w Gold Display(s): 1st: LG 27UK650-W, 4K, IPS, HDR10, 10bit(8bit + A-FRC). 2nd: Samsung 24" LED Monitor (SE390), Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T Push/pull Corsair ML PRO Fans Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire Mouse:Razer Naga Chroma  Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Case: Modded Case Inverted, 5 intake 120mm, one exhaust 120mm.

1 minute ago, Constantin said:

LOL

Why are you laughing? Ryzen's a cheaper source of threads

1 minute ago, ObsidianAura said:

Why are you laughing? Ryzen's a cheaper source of threads

Intel is still the best CPU for gaming.

CPU:i7 9700k 5047.5Mhz All Cores Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 OC 3467Mhz GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, 2x SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB PSU: Seasonic focus plus 750w Gold Display(s): 1st: LG 27UK650-W, 4K, IPS, HDR10, 10bit(8bit + A-FRC). 2nd: Samsung 24" LED Monitor (SE390), Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T Push/pull Corsair ML PRO Fans Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire Mouse:Razer Naga Chroma  Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Case: Modded Case Inverted, 5 intake 120mm, one exhaust 120mm.

Just now, Constantin said:

OP is running VMs. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

Just now, Constantin said:

Even if that were true, this PC is for running VMs not gaming.

I'd only just noticed Intel 9th gen CPUs dropped hyper-threading? The 9500k would have been a poor choice, the 8500K would even be better.

11 minutes ago, Constantin said:

At 1080p/240Hz.......

16 minutes ago, Constantin said:

LOL

12 minutes ago, Constantin said:

OP:

1 hour ago, Oren Dekel said:

Not sure what you're trying to provoke here Constantin, but this low quality bait is not working.

4 minutes ago, minibois said:
1 hour ago, Oren Dekel said:

because i'm not gonna use the pc for gaming anyway

My bad didn't see that :)

Going Ryzen adds cores and threads for the same price, but it removes the igp so a dedicated graphics-card is necessary. But why go with the 1650 SC even if it is a good one? Price is outstanding, but considering the use-case it is overkill.

OP may even get a GT 730 or R7 240 instead, cards that have a very low power-draw and aren't build  for gaming, but still offers a sufficient performance. I also prefer a separate drive for the vms. Maybe OP likes to add external drives as well?!

Using PCP I came out with this:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($294.63 @ B&H) 
Motherboard: ASRock B450M PRO4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($83.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: OLOy 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($119.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: SanDisk SSD PLUS 240 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($39.99 @ Best Buy) 
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($114.99 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: MSI GeForce GT 1030 2 GB 2GH LP OC Video Card  ($79.99 @ Walmart) 
Case: Silverstone PS08B MicroATX Mid Tower Case  ($54.49 @ B&H) 
Power Supply: be quiet! Pure Power 11 CM 500 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply  ($79.90 @ B&H) 
Total: $867.96
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-03-07 05:12 EST-0500