Any tips when you boot Windows 10 for the first time?

Windows95

Im coming from Windows 7 and im finally pushed to get Win 10. I got Enterprise LTSC because its the less bloated one as far as I can see. What tips do you have in terms of unbloating, removing NSAware telemetry and other?

Also, should I be logged with an Admin account or should I use a non admin account during regular use?

I will install it with the internet cable unplugged so M$ doesn't force me to enter an online account for login.

You can keep the internet cable plugged in while installing and still create a local user account without entering in an email. Best practice is to create the admin account, then use a standard user for your daily driving.

To "remove NSAware", uninstall Windows and download your Linux distro of choice.

1 minute ago, NinJake said:

You can keep the internet cable plugged in while installing and still create a local user account without entering in an email. Best practice is to create the admin account, then use a standard user for your daily driving.

To "remove NSAware", uninstall Windows and download your Linux distro of choice.

I know, but I mean, minimize all the bloat telemetry clusterfuck at least. I have to use Windows 10, there is no software that I need on Linux.

Try O&O ShutUp. Helps a but with performance and some spyware. Also going through the settings apps and setting your preferences in every caterory is something I recommend.

P.S be careful what you enable and disable, some settings can cause some real trouble

You can't stop Windows 10 telemetry without using a physical firewall and manually blocking ports. All of the Windows Firewall solutions are guaranteed to fail, because why would Windows let you stop it from harvesting data?

As for debloating, go into the Windows store and change settings so it does not automatically download app updates. Go down the Start menu and uninstall everything you can. If Windows will let you uninstall it, it's bloat. If Windows won't let you uninstall it, it's a system function (and probably still bloat), and deleting it will break something. Kind of like how deleting the Microsoft store will break Windows entirely. Then go to your Start tiles and delete all of them. After that, you're free to reboot and get going, but be aware that Windows will sneak reinstalls of many of the spammy apps into updates.

Removing "NSAware" is impossible. If the NSA gave you a way to uninstall it, they'd hardly be as evil a crew.

8 minutes ago, NinJake said:

You can keep the internet cable plugged in while installing and still create a local user account without entering in an email.

Microsoft changed that an update or two ago. If you're connected to the internet during setup, it won't let you continue without using a Microsoft account.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

1 minute ago, Albert F said:

Try O&O ShutUp. Helps a but with performance and also going through the settings apps and setting your preferences in every caterory is something I recommend.

P.S be careful what you enable and disable, some settings can cause some real trouble

Is there an established "this is safe to disable" configuration? I dont wanna gamble and break it right after installing the whole thing

Unless you have a good general knowledge of what you're potentially breaking... I'd stray away from any major OS edits. Something you might want to look into is the Windows 10 Decrapifier script, should be able to find it on spiceworks from a user named csand.

4 minutes ago, NinJake said:

Not on 1903 and later you can't.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Just now, aisle9 said:

You can't stop Windows 10 telemetry without using a physical firewall and manually blocking ports. All of the Windows Firewall solutions are guaranteed to fail, because why would Windows let you stop it from harvesting data?

As for debloating, go into the Windows store and change settings so it does not automatically download app updates. Go down the Start menu and uninstall everything you can. If Windows will let you uninstall it, it's bloat. If Windows won't let you uninstall it, it's a system function (and probably still bloat), and deleting it will break something. Kind of like how deleting the Microsoft store will break Windows entirely. Then go to your Start tiles and delete all of them. After that, you're free to reboot and get going, but be aware that Windows will sneak reinstalls of many of the spammy apps into updates.

Removing "NSAware" is impossible. If the NSA gave you a way to uninstall it, they'd hardly be as evil a crew.

Microsoft changed that an update or two ago. If you're connected to the internet during setup, it won't let you continue without using a Microsoft account.

So this is not relevanta nymore?

Also, there they say you can disable telemetry fully, but only in Enterprise and Education versions:

https://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/repo-windows-10-telemetry-repository.63874/

Just now, Master Disaster said:

Not on 1903 and later you can't.

1 minute ago, aisle9 said:

He has the Enterprise version of Windows. All he has to do is click "Domain Join Instead" during the user creation phase where it normally asks for an email and you create a local user from there onwards.

16 minutes ago, Windows95 said:

I will install it with the internet cable unplugged so M$ doesn't force me to enter an online account for login.

There is nothing bad login in to windows account.

CPU:i7 9700k 5047.5Mhz All Cores Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 OC 3467Mhz GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, 2x SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB PSU: Seasonic focus plus 750w Gold Display(s): 1st: LG 27UK650-W, 4K, IPS, HDR10, 10bit(8bit + A-FRC). 2nd: Samsung 24" LED Monitor (SE390), Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T Push/pull Corsair ML PRO Fans Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire Mouse:Razer Naga Chroma  Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Case: Modded Case Inverted, 5 intake 120mm, one exhaust 120mm.

What about this comment on that video, does this work?

Use a bogus MS account and password, it will error then allow you to create a offline account.

Just now, Windows95 said:

Is there an established "this is safe to disable" configuration? I dont wanna gamble and break it right after installing the whole thing

Yep there are thing that they recommend and some that don't. its a must have for every Windows 10 Power User.

PS. You also have the option to make a restore point and save your config for the program

Just now, NinJake said:

He has the Enterprise version of Windows. All he has to do is click "Domain Join Instead" during the user creation phase where it normally asks for an email and you create a local user from there onwards.

What does "Domain Join Instead" even mean? why not call it "Offline account" or something?

He has the Enterprise version of Windows.

Derp.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

As long as you're not using the home edition of Windows 10, you can create a local account just find while connected. I literally just did this on a laptop 10 minutes ago.

Knowing this is a thing just makes me angry TBH. Mind you, 10 Pro also has the Domain Join option, I wonder if you can do the same in that case?

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Just now, Master Disaster said:

Knowing this is a thing just makes me angry TBH. Mind you, 10 Pro also has the Domain Join option, I wonder if you can do the same in that case?

Afaik Pro does not allow to disable some telemetry stuff that is why I went Enterprise specifically LTSC to not have to deal with bullshit updates and cortana

Just now, NinJake said:

As long as you're not using the home edition of Windows 10, you can create a local account just find while connected. I literally just did this on a laptop 10 minutes ago.

Thats very useful information, thanks.

5 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Yep. Technically since you can complete the entire Windows Install without entering a license key you should be able to do it on any machine. But if you want to remove the watermark at the corner you'll have to pay a bit more for Pro+ over Home.

To @Windows95 make sure you click "Setup for an organization" and then "Domain Join Instead".

Spoiler

image.png.78de112c9194169c0c31eceeec239b7b.png

"What does "Domain Join Instead" even mean? why not call it "Offline account" or something?"

For personal use, this doesn't change anything. Because you have a Pro edition of windows (or greater), all this mumbo-jumbo means is you have the capability to manage your machine with policies or join it to a domain. You just won't do any of those things unless you want to start setting up a home-lab environment.

8 minutes ago, NinJake said:

Yep. Technically since you can complete the entire Windows Install without entering a license key you should be able to do it on any machine. But if you want to remove the watermark at the corner you'll have to pay a bit more for Pro+ over Home.

To @Windows95 make sure you click "Setup for an organization" and then "Domain Join Instead".

Hide contents

image.png.78de112c9194169c0c31eceeec239b7b.png

"What does "Domain Join Instead" even mean? why not call it "Offline account" or something?"

For personal use, this doesn't change anything. Because you have a Pro edition of windows (or greater), all this mumbo-jumbo means is you have the capability to manage your machine with policies or join it to a domain. You just won't do any of those things unless you want to start setting up a home-lab environment.

So I don't need to change anything once i click Domain join stead, create the account and log in? this "for an organization" thing sounds weird, im just hoping people cant enter my computer if by mistake i change some settings that makes them "from my organization" or something, but you said it means nothing by default

Also if I want to play Forza Horizon 4 which is on the XBOX store thing, will i have any problems with this setting?

No, you aren't even "in a domain" unless you yourself, join a domain. The only way you could join a domain is if you had a domain to join in the first place, so don't worry about it.

Any tips when you boot Windows 10 for the first time?

Yes. Enjoy and stop worrying that much about not important things. Install interesting software and start using your computer.

16 hours ago, Windows95 said:

So I don't need to change anything once i click Domain join stead, create the account and log in? this "for an organization" thing sounds weird, im just hoping people cant enter my computer if by mistake i change some settings that makes them "from my organization" or something, but you said it means nothing by default

Also if I want to play Forza Horizon 4 which is on the XBOX store thing, will i have any problems with this setting?

To join a domain you need to change Windows network settings (the DNS Server setting) which you cannot do until you're logged in.

3 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

To join a domain you need to change Windows network settings (the DNS Server setting) which you cannot do until you're logged in.

Nope. You go to Control Panel > System > "change settings" button> Then click the Domain Radio button and enter in a proper domain. The only way to connect is to have a network connection to a legit domain controller and also have "domain joining" privileges for that domain. Otherwise it won't even let you join if you tried.

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.a26f28c96ca9503375d481fd66c647a8.png