Any tips when you boot Windows 10 for the first time?

Windows95
6 hours ago, NinJake said:

Nope. You go to Control Panel > System > "change settings" button> Then click the Domain Radio button and enter in a proper domain. The only way to connect is to have a network connection to a legit domain controller and also have "domain joining" privileges for that domain. Otherwise it won't even let you join if you tried.

Reveal hidden contents

image.thumb.png.a26f28c96ca9503375d481fd66c647a8.png

Yep, a Windows Active Directory Domain Controller also runs a DNS Server (simply installing ADDC installs DNS by default) and to join the domain the client computer must have its DNS Server setting configured to the IP address of the ADDC otherwise it cannot see the domain at all (how could it see a local domain on a WAN DNS Server?).

Both my main computer and the laptop I'm typing this on are connected to my ADDC, I use roaming profile with a home folder on my NAS so all my files are synced across both computers.

Untitled.png.d9e8d7347013766be5f6a843dd1c34d1.png

Also notice the network drive disconnected icon, its been 4 years since Windows 10 came out and MS still haven't fixed that bug.

Edit - FTR you'd NEVER allow anyone from outside of your domains local network to connect to the domain directly (TBH I have no idea if thats even possible? I'm guessing no since the domain is only registered with the local DNS server and will not propogate outside of the LAN). For that you'd use a VPN connection with encryption enabled.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)