For people who think bitcoin aren't safe

I just wanted to make a thread as a friendly reminder to people who disagree with bitcoins and are freaking out over the recent happenings with Mt.Gox and Silk Road 2.

Sure, someone stole thousands of bitcoins from the Silk Road. Yeah, that is unfortunate. It is a rough stage that the currencies will go through until better methods are developed. I just want you guys criticizing the currencies to remember about how "unsafe" you think bitcoins are when you swipe your credit card at a store, or give your card to the waiter at a restaurant. In 2012, the worldwide cost of credit card fraud was estimated at over $11 billion. Yet, people use them several times a day. Doesn't sound very safe if you ask me.

You are completely dumb if you cant see the difference between credit cards and Bitcoin.

Credit card companies are backed up by billions of dollars of insurance, and are regulated by law.

Bitcoin exchanges are not backed up by any insurance, and are not regulated.

Also, credit card fraud is not really a problem in Europe, and im sure other parts of the world.

I just wanted to make a thread as a friendly reminder to people who disagree with bitcoins and are freaking out over the recent happenings with Mt.Gox and Silk Road 2.

Sure, someone stole thousands of bitcoins from the Silk Road. Yeah, that is unfortunate. It is a rough stage that the currencies will go through until better methods are developed. I just want you guys criticizing the currencies to remember about how "unsafe" you think bitcoins are when you swipe your credit card at a store, or give your card to the waiter at a restaurant. In 2012, the worldwide cost of credit card fraud was estimated at over $11 billion. Yet, people use them several times a day. Doesn't sound very safe if you ask me.

You do realize that there 1000x as many of credit card users as there are bitcoin users, right? And how much money is there on those accounts? Quite a bit more, than the market capitalization of all cryptocurrency combined. I think YOU are misleading. Bitcoin's image is much worse than that of credit cards, and with a good reason. 

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

Even if it's safe, It's  not worth getting a rise in the electricity bill ;)

[spoiler=CORMAC]CPU:Intel celeron 1.6ghz RAM:Kingston 400mhz 1.99gb MOBO:MSI G31TM-P21 GPU:Will add one later on! CASE:local ROUTER D-Link 2750U, D-LINK 2730U MOUSE:HP,DELL,ViP KEYBOARD: v7 SPEAKERS:Creative 245  MONITOR:AOC E970Sw HEADSET: Sony MDRx05s UPS:conex ups avr 500va PSU:idk OD:Samsung super writemaster STORAGE:80 gb seagate+ Seagate 1TB OS:Windows xp sp3 themed to Windows 7 + Linux |Rest all pc in my house will be updated from time-time

COMING SOON

Not everyone has to worry about that. Some people either don't pay for their electricity or pay a flat rate no matter what it is.

Not everyone has to worry about that. Some people either don't pay for their electricity or pay a flat rate no matter what it is.

And not everyone is mining, most just trade. 

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

I too don't pay for the electricity bill, but still I don't do it. You might think why i don't pay. My uncle is some engineer in Goa Electricity dept. So, we get free electricity.

[spoiler=CORMAC]CPU:Intel celeron 1.6ghz RAM:Kingston 400mhz 1.99gb MOBO:MSI G31TM-P21 GPU:Will add one later on! CASE:local ROUTER D-Link 2750U, D-LINK 2730U MOUSE:HP,DELL,ViP KEYBOARD: v7 SPEAKERS:Creative 245  MONITOR:AOC E970Sw HEADSET: Sony MDRx05s UPS:conex ups avr 500va PSU:idk OD:Samsung super writemaster STORAGE:80 gb seagate+ Seagate 1TB OS:Windows xp sp3 themed to Windows 7 + Linux |Rest all pc in my house will be updated from time-time

COMING SOON

I appreciate your opinion and input on the matter.

CORSAIR RIPPER: AMD 3970X - 3080TI & 2080TI - 64GB Ram - 2.5TB NVME SSD's - 35" G-Sync 120hz 1440P
MFB (Mining/Folding/Boinc): AMD 1600 - 3080 & 1080Ti - 16GB Ram - 240GB SSD
Dell OPTIPLEX:  Intel i5 6500 - 8GB Ram - 256GB SSD

PC & CONSOLE GAMER

I don't care if its the safest thing on earth of it can't hold its value. 

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.

In terms of fraud and security, I believe Bitcoin is safer to use than credit cards. However, my only and huge problem with Bitcoin and all other crypto currencies is their wild fluctuations compared to standard currencies.

It might be stable in the future, but I can't trust it for now. That itself presents a cycle that's hard to break: A currency will not be relatively stable unless a big mass of population trusts it as a serious currency; a big mass of population will not use something as a serious currency unless it's relatively stable.

Credit cards have a much better chance of you getting your money back though.

Nope..

In my perspective I don't beleive that using a credit card is safe anyways. That's why cash i king in my book. And if cryptocurrencies were "safe" then i would not have a problem with them. But IMO they are very unsafe and promot illicit dealings. Its alot easier to hand someone a $10 usb stick with a virtual wallet with $1000 worth of untraceable crypto coins on it and buy illegal items than it is handing over the money in cash that can be traced. Over 3.6 million dollars worth of accounts were seized by the FBI in the Silk Road incident due to their involvment with illegal activities. If it was safer to carry a virtual wallet than a real one with cash then i would be all for it but in the end code is code and material is material. Which would you rather determine value, code or material? Just a thought.

AMD diehard & Nvidia Enthusiest

bitcoins or other coins need to have encryption based keys. the owner of that key can make a deposit or widrawl or other...

EOC folding stats - Folding stats - My web folding page stats

Summer Glau: Quote's The future is worth fighting for. Serenity

My linux setup: CPU: I7 2600K @4.5Ghz, MM: Corsair 16GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Radeon his iceq x2 7970, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 750 plus Gold modular

My gaming setup: CPU: I7 3770K @4.7Ghz, MM: Corsair 32GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Gigabyte RX580 8GB, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 860i Platinum modular

Or how about those scanners that can steal your credit info while it is in your pocket. Only way around it is to put tinfoil in your wallet to reflect the sensors.

My Rig :  Case: Cooler Master HAF X ,Motherboard: Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H,PSU: Seasonic SS-750KM3,Processor: Core I7 4770k (overclocked 4.7ghz),Cooler: Corsair H100i, GPU: EVGA GTX 780 with acx cooler, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 16gb DDR3 1600 (overclocked to 2000mhz), HDDS  Samsung 840 EVO 250 gb SSD , Western digital  2tb 7200 rpm 64mb cache, Old 1tb laptop drive I had , 320gb for os backup daily, 80gb external for weekly backups,Drives 2x Lg Blu Ray burner WH16MS40,MISC: Tp-Link dual band wireless card, Logitech g510s, Razer Deathadder 2013, Acer G236HLBbd 23" monitor, Old tv I had 23" for secondary monitor, old 32" samsung tv third monitor

Nope..

I'd disagree. You can call your credit card company "Hey card is stolen, any transactions today are unauthorized". Cancelled, money back, new card en route.

Dont store your bitcoins online, and once they took your money and bought something with your credit card, you still have to pay for that thing

Woth a credit card you can owe more money than you have, with bitcoin and debit you can't

Credit cards have a much better chance of you getting your money back though.

Credit cards are pointless, just pay with cash in the first place.

in my country coin mining is so bad. specially with the increase in price per kwph. but other country seems like a good deal xD.

powercolor r9 290x (before this was 372.45$) seems they removed the old one lol.

442.67$

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152188019787597&set=a.362279842596.199411.362246537596&type=1&theater

Live your life like a dream.

I see coing mining as a opportunity to make money. The concept of a anonymous non standardized digital currency really has me intrigued.

Cash on hand is still king however, its more readily usable. If you don't mine but you trade then your in a sense doing FX Trading.

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

Not everybody mines their own cryptocurrencies. Some people just purchase them off the bat with cash. i.e. Buying 10 bitcoins and sitting on them like you do with stocks, hoping that at the end of the year you can mark a large marginal increase in the money you put into it. To whomever did this at the launch of bitcoin, my hats are off to you. I'm sure if you invested a large amount then you are thanking yourself for it recently with the large increase from when it first started out.

Just some thoughts I thought could be contributed to the discussion. 

//ccap

People who say Bitcoin is "unsafe" don't actually mean unsafe. The issue with Bitcoin is that it makes you mange your own digital currency, and for most people this is too much for them to deal with, so they prefer fiat currencies which they can pay a bank to take care of for them.

"PSU brands are meaningless, look up the OEM."

I too don't pay for the electricity bill, but still I don't do it. You might think why i don't pay. My uncle is some engineer in Goa Electricity dept. So, we get free electricity.

That's a pretty sweet deal. I have friends that work for the hydro company here, and they don't get anything like that.

Nope..

Nothing to back that up with?

They're perfectly safe. A lot safer than cash.

Or how about those scanners that can steal your credit info while it is in your pocket. Only way around it is to put tinfoil in your wallet to reflect the sensors.

If you see charges you didn't make, call the credit card company and tell them. They get reversed, you get a new card.

Credit cards are pointless, just pay with cash in the first place.

They're not pointless at all if you can manage them properly. Most credit cards provide a % of cash back, or air miles. Because of this, the price you pay on every product in the store is raised accordingly to counter the money that they lose. It does affect the retailer, as they get charged for every credit card transaction. That's why some companies don't accept American Express. Their rates are too high.

In the end, if you don't use a credit card, you're actually paying more than you have to.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red