Budget upgrade wanted!

Nicnac

I am once again asking for your technical expertise concerning pc hardware ^^

I run an old office pc with a second gen i5 and a gtx 1050 ti that I wanna upgrade specifically for Jedi: fallen order

I was thinking a good upgrade would be a cheap b450m mobo with a used r5 1600 or 2600 and 16gb of ddr4. I was surprised by how reasonable 3000mhz ram is these days...

I would probably keep the 1050 ti for now or upgrade to a 1160 later maybe

What do you guys think?

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

What is your current CPU? When in doubt I would probably buy the game first and test how well/badly it runs and then find out what will need the upgrade the most by checking utilization etc.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/ (by Minibois) and a few things that will make our community interaction more pleasent:
1. FOLLOW your own topics                                                                                2.Try to QUOTE people so we can read through things easier
3.Use
PCPARTPICKER.COM - easy and most importantly approved here        4.Mark your topics SOLVED if they are                                
Don't change a running system

Just now, GER_T4IGA said:

What is your current CPU? When in doubt I would probably buy the game first and test how well/badly it runs and then find out what will need the upgrade the most by checking utilization etc.

He runs a second gen i5 and there is no second gen i5 that would run that game really decent but ye he could try first 

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/8HqBD3/amd-ryzen-5-1600-12nm-32-ghz-6-core-processor-yd1600bbafbox

here's the superior version of the Ryzen 5 1600, works a treat with some DDR4 3000.

keeping the GPU for now is a good call

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

10 minutes ago, GER_T4IGA said:

yup, just what i did ^^ the game runs pretty badly but from what my testing shows so far its more a ram and cpu limitation than gpu limitation.

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

11 minutes ago, Nicnac said:

so should i go for a first or sceond gen ryzen right away?

I think the 2600 is the better buy, what even is the price difference? 20$?

50 minutes ago, Nicnac said:

I am once again asking for your technical expertise concerning pc hardware ^^

I run an old office pc with a second gen i5 and a gtx 1050 ti that I wanna upgrade specifically for Jedi: fallen order

I was thinking a good upgrade would be a cheap b450m mobo with a used r5 1600 or 2600 and 16gb of ddr4. I was surprised by how reasonable 3000mhz ram is these days...

I would probably keep the 1050 ti for now or upgrade to a 1160 later maybe

What do you guys think?

You did not state what your budget amount is.

I used Amazon Germany for the parts list.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7 GHz 8-Core Processor  (€168.03 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Motherboard: MSI X470 GAMING PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard  (€138.90 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (€69.80 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Storage: Samsung 860 Evo 250 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (€179.99 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (€38.79 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (€38.79 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Video Card: PNY GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB XLR8 Gaming OC Edition Video Card  (€296.99 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Case: Corsair SPEC-01 RED ATX Mid Tower Case  (€49.99 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (€89.90 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Total: €1071.18
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-02-23 16:35 CET+0100

Buzzsaw - I'm Buzzsaw and you're not.

CPU -- Intel Core i7 7740X @ 4.30GHz Kaby Lake 14nm Technology * RAM -- 16.0 GB Dual-Channel Unknown @ 1466MHz (15-16-16-35)
Motherboard -- ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. TUF X299 MARK 2 (LGA 2066 R4) * 
Graphics -- SAMSUNG (1920x1080@59Hz) -- 4096 MB ATI Radeon RX 560 Series 
Storage -- 223 GB SanDisk Ultra II 240GB (SSD) -- 256 GB Crucial_CT275MX300SSD1 (SSD) -- 931 GB Western Digital WDC WD10EZEX-00BN5A0 (SATA) -- 2794 GB BUFFALO External HDD USB Device
Optical Drives -- ASUS DRW-24B1ST * Audio -- Realtek High Definition Audio

39 minutes ago, Buzzsaw said:

You did not state what your budget amount is.

I used Amazon Germany for the parts list.

PCPartPicker Part List

Motherboard: MSI X470 GAMING PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard  (€138.90 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (€69.80 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Storage: Samsung 860 Evo 250 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (€179.99 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Video Card: PNY GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB XLR8 Gaming OC Edition Video Card  (€296.99 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Case: Corsair SPEC-01 RED ATX Mid Tower Case  (€49.99 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (€89.90 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Total: €1071.18
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-02-23 16:35 CET+0100

Let's see just how much you got wrong...

Ignoring OP's request for a build centered around a used Ryzen 5 1600/2600 and a B450M motherboard? Check.

OP wanting to maybe keep the 1050ti graphics card, which you also ignored in the post you quoted? Check.

Immediately going for one of the most expensive 250 GB SSDs around? Check.

3 hours ago, Max1996LTT said:

Let's see just how much you got wrong...

Ignoring OP's request for a build centered around a used Ryzen 5 1600/2600 and a B450M motherboard? Check.

OP wanting to maybe keep the 1050ti graphics card, which you also ignored in the post you quoted? Check.

Immediately going for one of the most expensive 250 GB SSDs around? Check.

Let's see... how much of a jackass you are... you did not post any of the following:

No recommended computer components. Check

No recommended computer upgrade components. Check

No recommended computer build. Check

Before you spout off criticizing others, how about doing some restraining of your own?

CPU -- Intel Core i7 7740X @ 4.30GHz Kaby Lake 14nm Technology * RAM -- 16.0 GB Dual-Channel Unknown @ 1466MHz (15-16-16-35)
Storage -- 223 GB SanDisk Ultra II 240GB (SSD) -- 256 GB Crucial_CT275MX300SSD1 (SSD) -- 931 GB Western Digital WDC WD10EZEX-00BN5A0 (SATA) -- 2794 GB BUFFALO External HDD USB Device

11 minutes ago, Buzzsaw said:

Let's see... how much of a jackass you are... you did not post any of the following:

No recommended computer components. Check

No recommended computer upgrade components. Check

No recommended computer build. Check

Before you spout off criticizing others, how about doing some restraining of your own?

Fine. But do note your choices for processor, motherboard, SSD and graphics card really can (and should) not be trusted.

While I'm not the most knowledgeable, I don't see much wrong with most of the other components. Are you sure the PSU wattage isn't more than necessary?

7 minutes ago, Max1996LTT said:

Fine. But do note your choices for processor, motherboard, SSD and graphics card really can (and should) not be trusted.

While I'm not the most knowledgeable, I don't see much wrong with most of the other components. Are you sure the PSU wattage isn't more than necessary?

That first line in your previous post... where did you get this idea that those computer components cannot be trusted? Did a little blue bird tell you this?

Regarding the wattage of the PSU, sure, I could have gone with lower wattage PSU, but why? These days, many of us, myself included, have a number of devices that are plugged into the computer using the various ports (USBs for example) and the extra wattage will handle those external devices without compromising the wattage needs of the internal computer components. 

53 minutes ago, Buzzsaw said:

That first line in your previous post... where did you get this idea that those computer components cannot be trusted? Did a little blue bird tell you this?

I'm referring specifically to your choices as an opinion.

5 hours ago, Nicnac said:

I was thinking a good upgrade would be a cheap b450m mobo

something like the B450m Pro4 or B450m/AC is usually quite cheap. 

what powersupply are you currently running?

26 minutes ago, Buzzsaw said:

Regarding the wattage of the PSU, sure, I could have gone with lower wattage PSU, but why? These days, many of us, myself included, have a number of devices that are plugged into the computer using the various ports (USBs for example) and the extra wattage will handle those external devices without compromising the wattage needs of the internal computer components. 

you really wont run into that issue on anything bigger than a 400w PSU.  like a good 550w is more than enough to power almost anything you would want to power on the consumer plattform. (good PSUs more or less start at 400w, you will be hard pressed to find something ATX size that has less wattage)

4 hours ago, Buzzsaw said:

why dual caviar blues? redundancy? but its only 1TB aswell. so its rather expencive. 

26 minutes ago, Buzzsaw said:

Did a little blue bird tell you this?

no i did not rell him that. 

but

why on so many levels was this your go-to drive? its 250gb, and while samsung is known to be overpriced, that there is the price of 2TB of SSD storage.......

a bit odd choice considering that rtx 2060 and rx 5700 are both only a touch more, and that touch more can be gained by changing to a cheaper PSU and not doing dual caviars. 

perfectly good powersupply, tho a little overkill. things that are worth noting about it is that its a bit noisy when changing from a lower power mode due to atx rev compliance. 

at this point in time the 3600 really is a better choice.

good motherboard, tho a touch expencive for what it offers. id probably recommend saving on buying a good b450 instead.