Teamspeak vs. Mumble vs. Vent vs. Raidcall

Slick

I've only used Vent and Raidcall out of those, but I absolutely love Raidcall.

"You can try to play chess with a pigeon. But even if you win, it'll shit on the board and strut around."

A bit of impartial advice, having ran a gaming organization for 9 years (anniversary next week!) I have of course chewed through all of the major VoIP solutions, and the only two I ever consider is Ventrilo and TS3. Mumble is a nightmare for administrators as you have to log into a SuperUser account which you can't actually talk from, and even if you don't consider that a dealbreaker, the actual level of administrative tools available to you as a Mumble owner is woeful. Raidcall is at this point not at a developed level I consider fit for alpha; it handles traffic inefficiently, and just has a number of bugs.

TS3 is as of now what we use at Bloodpact, Ventrilo is only ever considered when we go into games with more than 150 members, as we have in the past with Rift and Allods Online. For some reason, Ventrilo usually gets cheaper compared to TS3 when you require many slots. For Star Citizen though, we are only looking for about 80 members as the game is laid out for huge organizations to be counterproductive (instancing) and that's why we use TS3.

However, even for huge organizations, TeamSpeak 3 is the better option, it is just more expensive for hundreds of slots. But if money is not an issue, go TS3.

One thing to note is that in Ventrilo, it is easier and less of a security risk to hand out admin privileges to others.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

I'm researching these for what VOIP software I will host for our Star Citizen team....

I have gathered a lot of information but I have come here to ask what you guys think?!

Whats your favorite, whats your least favorite? any why?!

Also vote on the poll!

No Razer? :blink:  You hooked me on it and now I am loving it

Never trust a man, who, when left alone with a tea cosey... Doesn't try it on. Billy Connolly
Marriage is a wonderful invention: then again, so is a bicycle repair kit. Billy Connolly
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. Billy Connolly

A bit of impartial advice, having ran a gaming organization for 9 years (anniversary next week!) I have of course chewed through all of the major VoIP solutions, and the only two I ever consider is Ventrilo and TS3. Mumble is a nightmare for administrators as you have to log into a SuperUser account which you can't actually talk from, and even if you don't consider that a dealbreaker, the actual level of administrative tools available to you as a Mumble owner is woeful. Raidcall is at this point not at a developed level I consider fit for alpha; it handles traffic inefficiently, and just has a number of bugs.

TS3 is as of now what we use at Bloodpact, Ventrilo is only ever considered when we go into games with more than 150 members, as we have in the past with Rift and Allods Online. For some reason, Ventrilo usually gets cheaper compared to TS3 when you require many slots. For Star Citizen though, we are only looking for about 80 members as the game is laid out for huge organizations to be counterproductive (instancing) and that's why we use TS3.

However, even for huge organizations, TeamSpeak 3 is the better option, it is just more expensive for hundreds of slots. But if money is not an issue, go TS3.

One thing to note is that in Ventrilo, it is easier and less of a security risk to hand out admin privileges to others.

For mumble pick up a web UI and it makes certain stuff easier I havnt really toyed around with my server yet as I havnt had the time but there seems to be something for everything you just have to figure out where it is and how to do it. Another nice thing that can be seen as bad possibly is that since its open source there are a bunch of options for everything. So you get your choice of stuff but you have to be knowledgeable or do research to know what to choose.

Teamspeak's already what I use for ltt unofficial and assassin's server so... I don't have to install and learn to use something new :)

God forbid any has to learn new software! Yes, let's all have the mindset of 70 year old people that refuse to use the internet because they don't want to learn something new.

Seriously, I hate seeing these types of comments in a tech forum. A place where people should be open minded to advancing software/hardware.

Maybe Teamspeak, or whatever anyone else likes, is the best option, be let's hear some legit reasons why.

i7 4770k @ 4.6ghz | Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H | G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB | Sapphire Vapor-X 7970 Ghz | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2

Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD | Toshiba 7200rpm 3TB | Seasonic 660W Platinum | Corsair H100i

Logitech G400s | Ducky Shine III Cherry MX Brown

also Le PC gaming, and Le networking

PC Gaming, distinctively.

CPU: Ryzen 2600 GPU: RX 6800 RAM: ddr4 3000Mhz 4x8GB  MOBO: MSI B450-A PRO Display: 4k120hz with freesync premium.

No Razer? :blink: You hooked me on it and now I am loving it

Razer Comms would be more suited to console gamers. Its just not a robust VOIP utility like the others. Probably because its new but also becaise its made by a gaming company. In their eyes they probably see no other use for it than gaming.

These other VOIP solutions are not all made explicitly with gaming in mind, hence making them more flexible and a better choice.

Edit:

Also, Razer comms is a turd.

I voted for mumble and TS3 but won't be using either. Its bit funny that Mumble which is opensource is considered being more expensive than TS3 which has license usage (free but still). I would most like to use mumble. It has far better latency and quality than TS3. I've talked admins who ran both on private server. They liked Mumble more because TS3 (beta then) had more difficult token system for permissions. Now I think its better.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

What? Its free and opensource?

yea, made a wrong turn on the website and wound up on hosting section.

CPU: i7 5820K 4.0GHz @1.15V | MOBO: Asus X99 Sabertooth | GPU: Gigabyte Windforce GTX 980Ti, LTT Orange | CASE: NZXT H440 Black 2015 | COOLER: Noctua NH-D15S w/ LTT Fans | RAM: 32GB Patriot 3000MHz | STORAGE: 512GB Samsung 950 Pro, 960GB Sandisk Ultra II 3 x 8TB Seagate HDD's | PSU: 750W Seasonic X series, black / orange cablemod cables| Monitors: 3x Asus VX24AH's | AUDIO OUT: Microlab SOLO 8C, Sennheiser HD 650's, Audio engine D1 Amp / DAC | AUDIO IN: Blue Snowball | Keyboard: CM Storm QuickFire TK MX Green | Mouse: Logitech G900 Proteus Spectrum + RSI Extended Mouse Pad | PCPP Linkhttp://nz.pcpartpicker.com/list/hPjFd6

teamspeak can sound really really good. You can set the server to use several different protocols for the VOIP. However the higher bitrate you get the more bandwidth you will need for each user.

AMD RYZEN 7 5800X3D \ Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite \  32GB 3600 G.SKILL Neo \  Gigabyte RTX 4080 Gaming OC \  Lian Li O11 Dynamic Evo \  NVMe 2TB Samsung 990 Pro, SATA 4TB Samsung 970 Evo  \  WINDOWS 11 PRO 

It never troubles the wolf how many the sheep may be. ~Publius Vergilius Maro circa 50BC

Teamspeak - a lot of people are already using it. 

Basically this.

I prefer Mumble as its not bloated and has better latency

yea, made a wrong turn on the website and wound up on hosting section.

Yea, also the first site in the google results last time I checked was a hosting place not the sourceforge pace for mumble.

for having a 500 person group yes

We can't have a 500+ person skype call

Yeah i forgot about that it will be used for star citizen. but for like 5 people is it ok enough?

I7-2600k (back to stock lol) + Noctua NH-D14 | Asus GTX 560 DC | Asus P8Z68 V/GEN3 | G.Skill RipjawsX 1333 Mhz 2x4 GB

CoolerMaster Storm Enforcer | ThermalTake ToughPower Grand 750W | LG IPS237L | Razer BlackWidow 2013 | Razer Electra

[WD Caviar Blue 500 GB | Hitachi 260 GB | Seagate 120 GB | Toshiba 300 GB] <Generic mousepad & a wireless Logitech mouse T_T>

Yeah i forgot about that it will be used for star citizen. but for like 5 people is it ok enough?

no skype is NEVER ok

Sure I use skype to game with friends all the time

teamspeak because... it's easy and free

that about sums it up, plus a girl i used to date uses mumble so now i associate it with her evilness...

Mumble. You can host your own server and the sound latency & quality is unmatched.

Only downside is you can't lower other people's voices. They'll have to set it up properly with the Audio wizard.

teamspeak because i'm scared of change 

My build: Cpu: (AMD Ryzen 7 1700) Heatsink: (Deepcool Captain 240 rgb) GPU: (Zotac AMP! GTX 1060 6gb) Ram: (Corsair LPX 8Gb DDR4 2400) Mobo: ( Gigabyte AX370 Gaming K&) Case: (NZXT Phantom 410 Gunmetal) PSU: (Lepa B550 550w) OS:  (Windows 10

God forbid any has to learn new software! Yes, let's all have the mindset of 70 year old people that refuse to use the internet because they don't want to learn something new.

Seriously, I hate seeing these types of comments in a tech forum. A place where people should be open minded to advancing software/hardware.

Maybe Teamspeak, or whatever anyone else likes, is the best option, be let's hear some legit reasons why.

Should I have said: Ease of use, practicality and popularity? Because that's what it meant. 

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |