Gaming pc turns off and smoke comes out

Pc wouldn’t turn on after GTA V. power supply wasn’t turning on so I replaced. Everything was back to normal and boom off with smoke coming out! What could have caused that ???

F6F0522C-565D-4423-93E3-4652F7304191.jpeg

Where was the smoke coming from? Odds are it was something really really bad.

EDIT: And what are your specs? Are there any visible damage marks?

Gaming Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x   |  GPU: Asus ROG STRIX 2080 SUPER Advanced (2115Mhz Core | 9251Mhz Memory) |  Motherboard: Asus X570 TUF GAMING-PLUS  |  RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3600MHz 16GB  |  PSU: Corsair RM850x  |  Storage: 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro, 250GB Samsung 840 Evo, 500GB Samsung 840 Evo  |  Cooler: Corsair H115i Pro XT  |  Case: Lian Li PC-O11

Peripherals:

Monitor: LG 34GK950F  |  Sound: Sennheiser HD 598  |  Mic: Blue Yeti  |  Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum  |  Mouse: Logitech G502

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

Ryzen 7 4800HS, GTX1660Ti, 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz, 512GB nVME, 144hz

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

23 minutes ago, supershadow230 said:

Pc wouldn’t turn on after GTA V. power supply wasn’t turning on so I replaced. Everything was back to normal and boom off with smoke coming out! What could have caused that ???

F6F0522C-565D-4423-93E3-4652F7304191.jpeg

Smoke means something is shorted, trace all your cables to see if something's been severed. At this point, you may have destroyed everything directly connected to the power supply, so I would probably start over and build a new system with none of the parts you let the magic smoke out of.

30 minutes ago, Statik said:

Where was the smoke coming from? Odds are it was something really really bad.

EDIT: And what are your specs? Are there any visible damage marks?

The pc has a Ryzen 7 not sure if 1700/2700 

b350 msi 

rx 580

600w evga literally new today old one was Corsair 550.

ssd not sure and hdd 

10 minutes ago, Kisai said:

Smoke means something is shorted, trace all your cables to see if something's been severed. At this point, you may have destroyed everything directly connected to the power supply, so I would probably start over and build a new system with none of the parts you let the magic smoke out of.

There’s seems to be no damage physically just the scent of burnt

Should I attempt to turn it on again ?

Edited by wkdpaul

Uh ya unless you can pinpoint the cause I would not use any of the parts in there.

breaking the pc is a small thing, having it catch on fire and spreading across the house is the big thing 

1 minute ago, supershadow230 said:

Should I attempt to turn it on again ?

Definitely not.

A girl who loves to love.

take everything off, one piece at a time smell them, if it smells like smoke you found it.

Motherboard have stand offs behind it?

Ryzen 3600 4.33ghz . CM Hyper 212 Turbo. MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max. Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 3200 @ 3200 CL 15 (OC). Powercolor RX 5700XT Red Dragon. FD Meshify S2. Crucial P1 M.2 1TB. Corsair Vengeance 650W 80+ Silver.

Core 2 Duo 3.4ghz . WenjuFeng cooler . ASUS P5G41C-M LX . Crucial 1066mhz 3GB DDR2 . Gainward Golden Sample HD 4850 . Coolermaster Elite 430 . Seagate 160GB IDE 7200RPM . BeQuiet System Power 9 400w 80+ Bronze

1 hour ago, supershadow230 said:

It’s screwed in 

You are still going to have to take it apart.

The chances of killing TWO power supplies is pretty low, which means something connected to the power supply is shorting the supply voltage directly to ground and drawing so much power that it probably burned PCB traces off of something.

Pull each card out, and examine them for scorch marks, the GPU might be tricky, but also the least likely shorted item. I'd probably look at the underside of the motherboard, maybe something fell in from the top of the chasis and fell behind the MB.

The next possibility is a severed SATA Power or SATA data cable that is shorting out against the chassis frame. 

8 hours ago, Kisai said:

You are still going to have to take it apart.

The chances of killing TWO power supplies is pretty low, which means something connected to the power supply is shorting the supply voltage directly to ground and drawing so much power that it probably burned PCB traces off of something.

Pull each card out, and examine them for scorch marks, the GPU might be tricky, but also the least likely shorted item. I'd probably look at the underside of the motherboard, maybe something fell in from the top of the chasis and fell behind the MB.

The next possibility is a severed SATA Power or SATA data cable that is shorting out against the chassis frame. 

For this instance do I replace mobo, and psu then try again ?

8 minutes ago, supershadow230 said:

Remove your PC parts and check your components, don't buy new parts before you pinpoint what the issue is.

6 minutes ago, supershadow230 said:

hey my car has smoke coming from under the hood. Should I just throw some new spark plugs and a battery in it and try again..?

We can’t give you an answer until you do your due diligence and actually find the issue. You need to find out what’s damaged before anyone can direct you on how to fix it. 

Gaming Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x   |  GPU: Asus ROG STRIX 2080 SUPER Advanced (2115Mhz Core | 9251Mhz Memory) |  Motherboard: Asus X570 TUF GAMING-PLUS  |  RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3600MHz 16GB  |  PSU: Corsair RM850x  |  Storage: 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro, 250GB Samsung 840 Evo, 500GB Samsung 840 Evo  |  Cooler: Corsair H115i Pro XT  |  Case: Lian Li PC-O11

Peripherals:

Monitor: LG 34GK950F  |  Sound: Sennheiser HD 598  |  Mic: Blue Yeti  |  Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum  |  Mouse: Logitech G502

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

Ryzen 7 4800HS, GTX1660Ti, 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz, 512GB nVME, 144hz

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

My bet would be that it is either the mainboard or the XFX rx580 gts (if I sense this card  correctly). I hope it didn't kill other components.

8 minutes ago, Sir0Tek said:

My bet would be that it is either the mainboard or the XFX rx580 gts (if I sense this card  correctly). I hope it didn't kill other components.

Basically it won’t turn on after the smoke. I think the power supply died and motherboard too. Hopefully it’s those two only. I forgot to mention that it booted into bios before catching on smoke if that helps

1 hour ago, supershadow230 said:

Take it apart.

1. Remove the motherboard and inspect the front and back of the board

2. Remove the RAM and CPU and look for burn marks (this is unlikely if the system was able to POST once)

3. Look for loose wires on the PSU connectors

4. If you have a modular PSU (eg there are plugs on both sides of the connectors) make sure that you used ONLY the power connectors from the box and not from the previous PSU, as sometimes these are wired differently on the PSU side.

5. Look for burn marks on the GPU, if it has a front and back plate, it's unlikely the problem unless something fell through the top of the system and landed inside it

6. Look for burn marks on the chassis, burn marks on the chassis indicate that the short was against the chassis, which means either a severed wire or something metallic (eg a screw) came between the chassis and the MB/drive

If a PCB is a black color to begin with, it might be hard to see a burned board.

9 hours ago, Kisai said:

Take it apart.

1. Remove the motherboard and inspect the front and back of the board

2. Remove the RAM and CPU and look for burn marks (this is unlikely if the system was able to POST once)

3. Look for loose wires on the PSU connectors

4. If you have a modular PSU (eg there are plugs on both sides of the connectors) make sure that you used ONLY the power connectors from the box and not from the previous PSU, as sometimes these are wired differently on the PSU side.

5. Look for burn marks on the GPU, if it has a front and back plate, it's unlikely the problem unless something fell through the top of the system and landed inside it

6. Look for burn marks on the chassis, burn marks on the chassis indicate that the short was against the chassis, which means either a severed wire or something metallic (eg a screw) came between the chassis and the MB/drive

If a PCB is a black color to begin with, it might be hard to see a burned board.

Wait umm when I turned it on I was using the keyboard and mouse or whatever. I was on bios but I shock hit me small is that related ??

3 minutes ago, supershadow230 said:

Wait umm when I turned it on I was using the keyboard and mouse or whatever. I was on bios but I shock hit me small is that related ??

Check your power cord, power strip, and wall outlet to see if you have a grounding fault. It's not super likely but that would cause a shock.

27 minutes ago, Kisai said:

Check your power cord, power strip, and wall outlet to see if you have a grounding fault. It's not super likely but that would cause a shock.

Could that have set the mobo to smoke??