Is the Gearbox of a Lamborghini Aventador upgradable?

S.Hamed23
20 minutes ago, RasmusDC said:

The problem with the Dry Clutch DSG, is if you live in damp weathers like Denmark, then Micro slip, is an issue. 

it was really bad, and still is on my Passat, when it was new from factory it slipped up to 200-300rpm for 30minutes until REALLY Dry, and VW tried to refer to it being a "part" of owning a DSG... and that i could just force shift a lot, so it would only be 10-15 minutes. at 27.000km i got the upgraded clutch with a better grip, but it shifts hard, so it is not comfortable (and still has microslip, just the small kind, not 200-300rpm).. in Denmark, the issue is nearly all dry clutch DSG´s so there are forum threads on 600-900 pages refering to cars with this issue.

i have yet to drive a VAG car with the 7-Speed DSG that does not in some way have micro slip. (but most are just "low amount" so you can just feel the DSG Slipping until it gets hot..

a Clutch not under warrenty in denmark is 26.000kr = that is over 4000 Dollars for that.. if it was not under warrenty..

i would much rather own a CVT that works that this piece of crap, even though i hate the CVT, would even own a old Citroen pneumatic automatic...

if you live in a hot climate, this is not an issue. but these are german cars, not southern european so they should work in damp enviroments, VW has updated the DSQ (DSG) gearbox, to now not be dry.. so the issue should be solved, on certain new VW´s i think the Mark 7.5 150Hp 1.5 TSI had one of the good gearboxes.

I wonder if just getting a DSG tune with a tighter clamp on the disc would fix the issue.

I've always heard nothing but good things about VW DSG transmissions.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

1 hour ago, dizmo said:

I wonder if just getting a DSG tune with a tighter clamp on the disc would fix the issue.

I've always heard nothing but good things about VW DSG transmissions.

people have given up on VW in some forums, and got the engine remapped, and a DSG tune, it does solve most of the issues, but that should not be needed.

all the rental firms keeps away from DSG since it is a expensive setup, and i you talk with most car dealers, they are popular as used cars, but most VW you need to have a large slump of money for quality issues, in the "used car warrenty period"..

VW is not good quality it has never been. currently most DSG cars have issues, i bought my wife the POLO GTI 200hp with a manual (2019 model) people raved at me for wanting a manual, butmost GTI owners with the older more stable DSG 6 speed, which i knew back from the Altea days, where most bought the 140hp diesel with the DSG6 and not the 170hp with manual like me, they still have the same issue..

in cold weather on the DSG 6 speed, you can forget everything about getting reverse until 2-3 minutes of heating up your transmission.

change of transmission oil has solve the issues of gearbox dying, but all the other issues are well documented, and everytime i am at VW shop (and that is often) there is always a guy working a warrenty issue at the desk with a DSG gearbox. 

but it again is just a small part of the HUGE mess of VW issues on engine, gearboxes, and just general things, like not being able to keep water out of a headlight, and having rediculus tolerances on WHAT is okay with that.. have a picture stating VW tolerances of how much water a headlight must have in it, since my FULL LED lights on the Polo has damp in them. (their issues with chain driven 1.0 and 1.4, which wrecks engines, all the diesel issues) fighting with a DSG issue and water in the headlights of my cars, seems to be lucky, noisy trim and stuff like that are just things i accept, since i am tired of visiting shops constantly

weird flex but okay

is it trolling? is op one of those chinese rich kids living abroad?

why everybody post the spec of their rig here? i dont! cuz its made of mashed potatoes!

7 hours ago, zassou said:

weird flex but okay

is it trolling? is op one of those chinese rich kids living abroad?

You dont have to be filthy rich to own an aventador or any expensive car for that matter.

Alot of people dont buy them outright. They make payments on them. Value goes up they sell them for a profit, thrn finance another car and do it again. A guy who work in my building has made tens of thousands by doing this. Hes basically driving the car a few times a month and making money off of them.

Its also why he has a montana llc so he doesnt pay sales tax on them.

For the most part these are not daily drivers. Youll find 10 year old exotics with 6k miles on them.

Yeah, it is even pretty simple :

- Step 1 : Call ZF

- Step 2 : Ask them for an invoice for a double clutch 7 speed gearbox

- Step 3 : Look at the invoice and realize that you don't want to spend 25K for an useless upgrade

It is a simple clutch because they wanted to keep the car a light as they could, even if the transmission is not as smooth as an Huracan*.

On 1/19/2020 at 12:02 PM, Bombastinator said:

I don’t understand the attraction to super cars mayself.  I had a choice between a DCT automanual an automatic, and a SCT manual for my last car purchase.  I counted numbers of parts and weighed repair frequency and cost, and chose the manual

No worries, some buy cars for the experience of driving, some do for economy, etc.

I'll thrash a car within an inch of it's life and lament every hour it spends in the shop or on my lift, but I know who did it ;)

We all have our priorities, glad you are aware of yours.

On 1/20/2020 at 2:28 PM, dalekphalm said:

But what about CVT's in Subaru's? To write them off because of a Mini Cooper's bad CVT is like saying "Disc brakes are bad because one car had shitty disc brakes".

I'm not a fan of Subaru's CVT. Entirely possible I just didn't give it enough time, but I had a Legacy GT that I absolutely loved, so when my wife's Enclave was due to be replaced we checked out an Outback. It was too small, and at the time I couldn't figure out why the transmission felt so weird (turns out CVT). Had that as a loaner for a few weeks while my Legacy was getting some work done to it, put over a thousand miles on it and still really didn't like it. Then the Ascent came out, which was larger so we test drove it a few times, once here in Nebraska and then a second time in the Colorado mountains. I think you'd get used to it after enough time on flat ground, but in the mountains it feels like you never have power, which I thought was opposite what a CVT was supposed to do... either way we just bought an Acadia. Now there are recalls on the CVT of the Ascent, so dodged that bullet. Honestly a little disappointed in Subaru lately, as much as I loved everything about my Legacy GT despite all its quirks, the new stuff is soulless. Their EyeSight sucks compared to our Acadia's Adaptive system, less power, subjectively uglier, rides like crap, and even ended up being more expensive on the optioned up ones. The only way the Ascent came out ahead was comparing base models. The Ascent does have more cupholders tho... not sure why they thought that was the selling point of a lifetime, but I swear I was told that a dozen times by each salesperson.

As for the original topic, you could swap it... but Ed Bolian would probably skin you for doing so. Manual Lambo's are shooting up in price because people who drive cars just to enjoy driving cars want them back. Relatively few people buy supercars to take on the track.

Thread cleaned.

• Ensure a friendly atmosphere to our visitors and forum members.
  • Encourage the freedom of expression and exchange of information in a mature and responsible manner.
  • "Don't be a dick" - Wil Wheaton.
  • "Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted.
  • Remember your audience; both present and future.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

1 hour ago, Spotty said:

Thread cleaned.

Thread cleaned V2 (or maybe its V8 considering the subject).

If your post has been removed or edited by me, its either poor attempt of derail. Or even weaker attempt to bait.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

On 1/21/2020 at 3:45 PM, tankyx said:

Yeah, it is even pretty simple :

- Step 1 : Call ZF

- Step 2 : Ask them for an invoice for a double clutch 7 speed gearbox

- Step 3 : Look at the invoice and realize that you don't want to spend 25K for an useless upgrade

It is a simple clutch because they wanted to keep the car a light as they could, even if the transmission is not as smooth as an Huracan*.

When someone buys an exotic car. Where a brake job is gonna cost you close to 10k....25k for a mod is nothing tbh.

On 1/19/2020 at 5:50 AM, S.Hamed23 said:

The Lamborghini Aventador has an old single clutch gearbox that affects the whole performance package.
My question: Is the gearbox upgradable to a dual-clutch gearbox that a Huracan already has?

Did you mean to ask if it can be water cooled?

• 11 months later...

Has anyone figured this out?

The Aventador is my absolute favorite exotic that I have ever owned from a styling and comfort perspective.

That single clutch tranny is just horrible, at low speeds it makes one look like they're incapable of driving it. It can also flood and stall at low speeds when in slow traffic, like parking lots during Christmas season.

I love the Huracan from a comfort and practicality perspective, and primarily own mine for the dual clutch tranny.

The Aventador is roomier, despite the doors, it's more practical, has a decent sized trunk compared the Huracan.

If I could get the smooth low-speed experience, and the less jerky gear shifts at speed combined with the aesthetics of the Aventador, perfect scenario.

I'll attach an image of my black beauties; my Aventador is factory Nero Nemesis, not a wrap :) 

If anyone has figured this out, please let me know. The factory ad personam program kicks the ball down the road, saying the costs to have the factory engineer and install a dual clutch would be greater than the cost of that actual Aventador. Which I'm sure once engineered, would then be available to other owners who would prefer this.

IMG_9064.jpg

On 12/28/2020 at 6:46 PM, Ferrarborghini said:

Has anyone figured this out?

The Aventador is my absolute favorite exotic that I have ever owned from a styling and comfort perspective.

That single clutch tranny is just horrible, at low speeds it makes one look like they're incapable of driving it. It can also flood and stall at low speeds when in slow traffic, like parking lots during Christmas season.

I love the Huracan from a comfort and practicality perspective, and primarily own mine for the dual clutch tranny.

The Aventador is roomier, despite the doors, it's more practical, has a decent sized trunk compared the Huracan.

If I could get the smooth low-speed experience, and the less jerky gear shifts at speed combined with the aesthetics of the Aventador, perfect scenario.

I'll attach an image of my black beauties; my Aventador is factory Nero Nemesis, not a wrap :) 

If anyone has figured this out, please let me know. The factory ad personam program kicks the ball down the road, saying the costs to have the factory engineer and install a dual clutch would be greater than the cost of that actual Aventador. Which I'm sure once engineered, would then be available to other owners who would prefer this.

IMG_9064.jpg

Truth be told, I don't think you're gonna find an Aventador transmission swap until these become used supercars like Murcielagos have... and even then, it'll take a while to see transmission swaps, if plausible.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.